Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Beasts of the Chain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pma2b96.jpg

f5oCc5i.jpg
3Mt3G6B.jpg
YH4pRFw.jpg

AHnF15b.jpg
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Name: Beasts of the Chain
  • Designation: Semi-Sentient
  • Origins: Greystone's Laboratories
  • Average Lifespan: Several millennia.
  • Estimated Population: Semi-Unique
  • Description: Beasts of the Chain are monstrously strong killers wholly dedicated to their respective Masters; each Beast has a Leash, a sort of talisman they seem incapable of disobeying. It is not uncommon for a Beast to fall into an irrational rage if its Master is slain. When bound, they make excellent bodyguards and peerless warriors - a Beast out for blood can tear a Wookie's arm from its socket or claw through steel.
PHYSICAL INFORMATION
  • Breathes: Type I, II, and III.
  • Average Height of Adults: 2.3 metres
  • Average Length of Adults: Humanoid.
  • Skin Colour: Shades of brown and grey.
  • Hair Colour: N/A, Beasts are entirely hairless.
  • Distinctions: Bioengineered killing machines of near-unmatched brutality, Beasts of the Chain are tall, musclebound, and graced with a wide variety of bestial characteristics. Every specimen is produced from a unique genetic template, their genomes perfected to a degree that could never be possible in a naturally reproducing species; indeed, they are universally sterile and seemingly sexless. This degree of uniqueness is an obstacle to those attempting to catalogue the beings, but common traits include a vaguely humanoid form and lightsaber-resistant claws.
  • Races: Beasts of the Chain possess strange adaptations to safeguard their Master.
    • Riftwalkers possess the poorly-understood ability to transport themselves over short-to-medium distances by 'folding space'. They have a far easier time transporting themselves towards the Leash than away from it, doubly so if the Master feels endangered.
    • Dreamwalkers have the unusual aptitude of being difficult to perceive as if affected by a 'natural' view masker; while passively walking in their Master's wake they are almost impossible to perceive, but this is quickly overridden by survival instincts if they attack - they can be difficult to keep track of in battle, but hardly to the point of invisibility. They tend to seem 'fuzzy' and hard to pinpoint.
    • Skinwalkers are able to shapeshift, at least to a certain degree; they can grow wings, weaponised tails, and spines able to be launched towards foes like an inbuilt slugthrower. They are even able to adopt mostly convincing humanoid forms, typically aides or bodyguards.
  • Force Sensitivity: Non-Sensitive
STRENGTHS & WEAKNESSES
  • Apex Predator: Beasts of the Chain are stronger than wookies, nearly as fast as Jedi, and resistant to blaster fire much like rancors. Even when wounded, they are able to regenerate nearly any non-total damage in time - albeit not to the extent of their Gen'dai progenitors.
  • Eternally Alert: Beasts of the Chain can ensure the continued safety of their Master through unnatural adaptations, see Races.
  • Chained Fiend: Beasts of the Chain are incapable of disobedience, but only so long as their Leash is held by a living Master.
  • Simple Mind: Beasts of the Chain are just barely intelligent - their tactics are simple and more than a little predictable.
CULTURE
  • Diet: Carnivore; eat flesh and bone alike. Immune to most poisons - can eat almost anything (or anyone).
  • Communication: Growls and murder for most, but can communicate telepathically with the Master of their Leash.
  • Technology Level: Beasts of the Chain are simple-minded and their clawed hands are quite unsuitable for advanced tool use.
  • Religion & Beliefs: Whosoever holds the Leash, holds the Beast's allegiance. This unwavering loyalty notwithstanding, the Beasts have little in the way of coherent beliefs - they are killing machines, plain and simple, with no need for ideological or spiritual justification.
  • General Behaviour: Beasts serve their Masters in whatever capacity is needed, usually as attentive bodyguards or shock troops for critical offensives. Your average Beast will take a blaster bolt for their Master and any further individuals so specified without a moment's hesitation, even if it would cost them their life; they have survival instincts, but only insofar as they do not interfere with their sense of duty.
HISTORICAL INFORMATION
Beasts of the Chain were not born, they were made - and recently. By splicing samples from a wide variety of species, notably Gen'dai, Rancor, and 'humanoids', Greystone's bioengineers produced an initial template; this template was then subjected to the strange arts of the Weavers as well as more conventional methods. Through intense effort, a kind of 'genetic perfection' was achieved.

Of course, Beasts are not perfect lifeforms. Theirs is perfection of purpose, not form.

They are killing machines, plain and simple, and more importantly loyal killing machines. They are, however, also difficult to produce. They cannot simply be 'mass-produced' in exowombs, nor are they able to sexually reproduce - every specimen must be carefully sculpted from biomass and a base template, a process that requires both skill and innovation due to the potential instabilities in their core genome.

As a result, these beings are almost exclusively relegated to serving as bodyguards for well-connected VIPs.

Last edited:
:: HERO of KORRIBAN ::
Kal Kal

I love this sub... and honestly I am ready to approve it if you can talk me into why folding space is a Star Wars concept.

This is one I really would like to discuss because that is very much right out of Frank Herbert's Dune, and what the creatures of the spice guild are capable of. So help me out by differentiating it and making it fit within the mythos of Star Wars.

Reactions: Kal
Judah Lesan Judah Lesan

I can see where you are coming from. It is certainly not a common thing in Star Wars, especially for biological lifeforms.

The Aing-Tii, who favoured "semi-organic starships", were able to instantaneously move objects across distances (the exact details are unspecified, as far as I am aware, but I presume it to be roughly analogous); this seems related to the Force, but can be taught even to non-Sensitives. Starweirds make for a decent analogy as well - they are (presumably) able to enter Hyperspace without a ship, allowing them to cross great distances.

There very well might be more and better examples out there - Legends is vast - but I can't think of any.

As for fitting into the mythos of Star Wars, I would argue that it is rather broad as a concept. There are psychic space ghosts (Starweirds), life-hating interdimensional aliens, monstrous creatures from yet another dimension, and even Lovecraftian creatures. Given the plentitude of strangeness that can be found in both Canon and Legends and the many fantastical feats made possible by Alchemy and bioengineering, I'd argue that it's fine.

I'm afraid I don't know how to differentiate it from Dune, since I've only read the first book; that one only has the heighliners.

If this is unconvincing, I can think of a few options for reworking that specific race.
  1. Make them Force Sensitive, unlike the rest. Force Users have been shown to be capable of such feats.
  2. Rework it to do something other than 'folding space', e.g., somehow entering Hyperspace as an individual (much like Starweirds). This would, I presume, increase the maximum range of the ability but significantly decrease the accuracy except for when the target is their 'Master'

Edit: OK, I was just reminded that the Aing-Tii ability is literally called 'Fold Space'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom