Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stepping aboard the Bright Knight, a baby carrier in either hand, Miri looked around and sniffed the air. "It's cleaner than I expected," she muttered.

Miri had resisted the idea of moving in with any of their relatives or friends right up until she brought the twins home from the hospital to Kyell's itty bitty dorm room. It was then that she quickly realized how badly they needed the extra space, even if it was only a temporary move. Starlin had already offered, and when it came down to it he was easily the best choice. His cruiser was big, with lots of rooms that were mostly empty. It would be almost like living alone. Hopefully.

Carrying the twins down the hall, Miri peered into the rooms as she passed them. Starlin had said they could pick whichever one they wanted, so long as it wasn't already occupied...

Eliphas had spent the day cleaning, at least insofar as he was able to reach. The Force had come in handy here and there, though frankly he couldn't really rely upon it these days; even so the ship was clean...er. Cleaner than it usually was.
He wasn't sure when to expect Miri and her beau, whether it would be today or another day, yet he'd worn himself out all the same. As such he was lay in bed when the newcomers arrived, staring up at the ceiling. In his hand was a strange device, a fidget cube of sorts that required the Force to be able to move the pieces around. He wasn't looking at it, but he was still pushing here and there to make the inner mechanisms shift.
An easy to way slowly work his way back up to using the Force properly.
When the door to his room opened he was caught by surprise, and he jolted upright in response.
"Oh" he said, gaze shifting between Miri and the twins. It took him a moment longer to shuffle to the edge of the bed, and haul himself into his hoverchair, "Here, let me help..?" He guided the hoverchair over to where she was stood, carrying two heavy baby carriers, and offered to take one provided she was okay with that.
"It's good to see you again, Miri" he said a little more sheepishly, "Erm, congratulations..."

"Whoops," Miri said upon barging into Eli's room. "Pardon me."

Starlin had told her about Eli's condition, but she was still slightly taken aback when she saw how he looked. Sickly, emaciated, and bound to a hoverchair, he was almost unrecognizable. But she remembered his voice, the smooth accent of a Tetan noble, and his little aristocratic idiosyncrasies, refined by years of training in proper manners and comportment.

"Here, let me help..?"

Miri seemed to debate whether or not it was a good idea to accept his offer of help. "Er, if you don't mind—have you ever been around babies before?" She held up Lara's carrier, labeled and color-coded so as not to confuse her with her twin sister Kyla. Inside the carrier was a tiny sleeping newborn with a thick head of brown hair and delicately pointed ears.

"It's good to see you, too," Miri said. "And thank you." She struggled to think of something nice to say in return, before finally settling on, "I'm glad you're awake."

Kyell Laysel

K

Tag: Miri Nimdok Miri Nimdok Lief Lief

Kyell was late.

He had agreed to join up with Miri and board Starlin's ship together, but Jedi duty held him up. Again. He felt terrible about it but he was becoming a Knight soon, so the Council had made sure he was properly tested before the big day. Soon, all of it would be behind him and he'd take some time off to be with his fiancée and the kids.

That vacation honestly couldn't come sooner.

When he finally did arrive after a long sprint from the closest taxi point, Kyell stopped at the boarding ramp and breathed heavily. He could feel her inside the ship already, likely waiting to annihilate him for leaving her to carry both Lara and Kyla, but there was someone else too.

He blinked in surprise and stepped inside.

<Miri? Sorry, I'm late...> he told her telepathically, as he followed his senses to Eli's room to meet up with her.

He half expected her to hurry back out once she realized the room was occupied, but thankfully that wasn't the case. Maybe because he'd engaged her. Either way, he soon made his way over to where she was hovering, juggling the two carriers, and extended both hands out to take the one which was raised up.
"My aunt visited a few summers back," he said, when asked if he had any experience with a newborn, "Brought our newest cousin with her. He had a mighty set of lungs, and a little button nose." As the memory was relayed through his mind, he couldn't help but smile. Aunt Helane didn't reside on Empress Teta, she'd traveled over from Naboo. With any luck, she hadn't been visiting again when the Maw reared their heads.
He didn't want to think about that though, so he blinked it away and focused his attention back on Miri, and of course the baby. "They were with us for the whole summer, I got a crash course in the basics." He settled the carrier in his lap, and peered adoringly down at the bundle of joy. "What's her name?" he asked, before glancing to the other carrier, "And her lovely twins?"
It was then that he heard the patter of feet on the boarding ramp, and somehow the sound of it roused a reminder from the depths of his mind. "Oh, I almost forgot..."
Carefully, very carefully, he backed up the hoverchair to his bedside table, where a giftbox lay. It was admittedly a little difficult to carry it with a baby carrier on his lap, so despite the fact that he and the Force weren't on the friendliest of terms he opted to draw upon it to have it levitate alongside him. "For the girls" he explained, "Plus a little something for you too."
So often the mothers were overlooked amidst the wonderful chaos that was a new addition. Those first few years any gift meant for the mother was often more directed at their babies in some way; Eliphas wanted to make sure that wasn't the case here.

<Miri? Sorry, I'm late...>

On the contrary, Miri instantly brightened when Kyell came aboard. "Hey," she greeted him with a smile, before she remembered to introduce him to Eli. "Kyell, this is Eliphas Dune, Starlin's Padawan. Eli, this is Kyell Laysel, my fiancé."

Hopefully Starlin had at least given Eli a primer on what to expect. If not, this was bound to be an awkward experience.

"What's her name?"

"That's Lara. This is Kyla." She held up the other carrier. Unlike her sister, Kyla was awake and looking around, her tiny tongue sticking out.

Miri was a bit taken aback by the gift. "Oh, thank you," she said, taking the box in her free hand. Before she could open it, however, Kyla began to whine, the prelude to crying for food. "I better take care of her," Miri said, turning to Kyell. "Do you think you can bring the rest of our stuff in?" They didn't have much, just a few bags of necessities. Most of Miri's belongings were still aboard the Conestoga, hopefully still sitting intact in a hangar on Shili.

With that, she headed for a more private room, leaving Eli and Kyell alone with Lara.

Kyell Laysel

K

She seemed happy.

Kyell let out a soft breath of relief and smiled in return before looking at Eliphas, <It's a pleasure to meet you,> he began, expecting that he already knew about Kyell being mute. Or perhaps he had just gotten so used to talking to Miri, that he forgot others weren't aware of it. Either way, his attempt at telepathic communication wasn't forced, and if Eliphas wasn't open to it, he'd find it easy to block out the young Jedi Knight.

<Oh uh, Miri? I handled the food for the dogs. I think they're playing right now though.> He chuckled and watched as Eli presented a gift, but before she could open it, Kyla began to cry. His expression softened immediately, and while Miri handled her, he picked up Lara and gently held her in his arms.

When one of the twins began to cry, the other often followed suit.

<How did you and Miri meet? Through Starlin, I assume?> Kyell then asked with a friendly smile after Miri left them alone for a moment. He was always curious about her family, her friends, or even just people she knew. He didn't have many in his own life, so this helped make up for it a little.

"Huh, Starlin was right" he mused when the names were given. Lara and Kyla. He smiled, and let out a small sigh of relief. At least the embroidery work would make sense now, he'd been worried that he'd have to redo it. Thankfully he'd trusted in his Master, and with good reason it would seem.
When introduced to Kyell he was admittedly surprised by the man's lack of a voice, but he was quick to adapt. Recent events in his life had caused him to be good at that, adapting. So many people he knew had to make accommodations for him, had to adjust, it would be wrong of him to be incapable of doing the same for others.
Thankfully as much as Eliphas was struggling with the Force, telepathy still seemed to be on the cards. Maybe because it was the first thing he'd connected with, maybe because it was less strenuous than other abilities. Who knew.
It's nice to meet you too he responded, hoping that Kyell wouldn't mind that he chose to return words telepathically too. His eyes drifted back to Miri soon after as she made her leave, and then Lara was removed from the carrier in his lap. Eliphas didn't mind, he could be useful even if he just carried the carrier. Did that make him a carrier?
He blinked away such thoughts, and then smiled at Kyell. There was a sadness inherent within it though. Actually, through the Professor, he confessed, though in a way he supposed that was due to Starlin. She and the Professor helped me learn to astral project, amongst other things...

"Huh, Starlin was right."

Miri raised an eyebrow. "Starlin is more perceptive than he lets on," she murmured.

<Oh uh, Miri? I handled the food for the dogs. I think they're playing right now though.>

<Thank you.> She smiled as she walked past him out the door.

Upon being lifted out of her carrier, Lara yawned, stretching her tiny arms and legs. She opened her blue eyes for a few seconds, looked around at her new environment, but ultimately deemed it not interesting enough to warrant staying awake and promptly went back to sleep in her father's arms.

A minute or so after Miri's departure, Starlin boarded the ship, carrying a few of their bags and trailing Cowboy and Samurai behind him. He staggered over to where Kyell and Eli stood, still lugging the luggage.

"Hey," he greeted them. "Sorry I'm late. I had to do something back at the Temple... Right, uh, these suitcases are pretty heavy. So Kyell, did you and Miri pick a room yet?"

Cowboy immediately jumped up on Eli, sniffing him, while Samurai hung back, observing Eli cautiously from afar.

Kyell Laysel

K

<She helped you learn to Astral project?> He asked with a hint of confusion in his telepathic voice. Miri often struggled with her connection to the Force, so it was somewhat surprising that she had helped someone else learn more about it. <I probably shouldn't be so surprised. She's always very helpful.>

Like that one time, she freed him from hanging upside down from a tree.

Looking down for a moment, Kyell noticed Lara's eyes opening, and greeted his daughter with a smile. He waggled his finger in front of her face to see if she wanted to play, but... she just closed her eyes again and fell back asleep. He chuckled and looked back up at Eliphas. <Will you be staying with us here on the Bright Knight too? Or just for whenever Starlin takes you for assignments?> he asked with a kind tone.

He didn't mind Eliphas being with them at all. In fact, it just meant more company for them and the kids.

Starlin then entered the room with them and Kyell quickly turned to greet him with a dip of his head, <Good to see you again, Starlin. And... I only just got here myself. I'm leaving the room choice to Miri. She's pickier than I am.> He flashed him a grin and glanced down the hallway.

Maybe helped wasn't quite the right word, though he didn't want to undersell the part she played in it all so he hummed in consideration for a moment before ultimately shrugging his shoulders. She was... Something of an anchor? he explained, And a bit of a living training dummy... Professor Nimdok had me try to reach out through the Astral plane with the Force. She was on the receiving end of it. A very necessary and helpful job indeed.
He gave the man a sheepish smile. It felt like an entire life ago now since he'd tried to stun the woman, and had successfully thrown pillows at her. Difficult, to be sure. Something he hadn't tried since.
Eliphas looked on in adoration as Father fussed over Daughter, before nodding his head as the question was posed. I'm not technically back from medical leave he explained, I don't have a dorm. Besides, someone's got to keep Master Rand in line. He grinned a cheeky grin, before hearing Starlin's voice echo through the ship. Speak of the Devaronian...
"Hey Starl-- oof... oh..." He beamed a smile of delight when the small pup slipped past Kyell and neared him, sniffing all the while. Reaching around the baby carrier, he fussed Cowboy behind the ears. "Aren't you just the cutest? Who's a good boy? You're a good boy.."

<Good to see you again, Starlin. And... I only just got here myself. I'm leaving the room choice to Miri. She's pickier than I am.>

"Oh, is she in here?" Starlin knocked on the door of the room Miri had disappeared into. "Miri, where do you want me to put all your stuff?"

"I like this room. You can put them in here."

"Well, I can't come in if the door is locked."

There was a momentary pause. "Fine, just give me a second..."

The door unlocked with a click, and Starlin slid it open. Miri was sitting in a chair with her legs crossed, looking just a little bit irritated or embarrassed. Or possibly both. She had taken off her jacket and draped it over her chest, hiding Kyla from view save for a single little foot poking out from underneath the purple leather.

Starlin grinned and opened his mouth to make a joke, but thought better of it when she shot him a glare. "Here's your stuff," he said, carefully setting down the bags. "Or most of it. This is a nice room, you picked a good one."

Glancing over his shoulder toward Eli and Kyell, she turned back to him. <I have a question for you.>

Switching to telepathy? So it was a secret sort of question. <Okay.> He shrugged. <Shoot.>

<Do you have any drugs on this ship?>

Starlin's ever-present smirk tightened, though he tried to cover it up with a snort. <Nah. Why, do you want some?>

<You told me you weren't using, but you didn't say whether or not you had anything stashed away. If I check the cargo hold and the secret compartments, will I find anything?>

<No.> Starlin's smile completely disappeared, his expression dead serious. <You won't find a single fething thing. I threw it all out when Eli came back.>

She studied him for a few moments, her gaze probing, then nodded. <I don't know how long we'll be here for. When kids get old enough to crawl and walk, they can get into all kinds of things. If anything happens because you left a needle or a pipe or something somewhere, Kyell will probably kill you. And I'll help him do it.>

Growing a bit exasperated, Starlin nonetheless nodded. <Okay. I like living, so rest assured, your babies are safe.>

Miri peeked underneath her jacket. Starlin took that as his cue to leave, heading for the boarding ramp. There were other bags to haul aboard...

"Aren't you just the cutest? Who's a good boy? You're a good boy.."

Cowboy preened, loving the attention and scratches behind his floppy ears. Samurai eventually came up to Eli and nudged his hand with his nose, sniffing the Padawan.

"I didn't know you liked dogs," Starlin commented on his way out.

Miri emerged from the room sans jacket, holding Kyla. The conversation between her and Starlin had lasted no more than a minute, as telepathic exchanges tended to go faster than talking, but the lingering emotions were harder to hide. "I picked the room with the most comfortable bed," she announced, trying to put it all behind her. "Eli, why don't you give us a tour?"

Kyell Laysel

K

<Now that doesn't surprise me at all,> he told Eliphas with a grin. <I used to struggle with Telepathy, but she has helped me feel way more comfortable with it by being on the receiving end of it so much.> It wasn't the only thing she helped him with either. Before Miri, he was a fairly awkward person, and he would have never even imagined himself finding a partner, let alone one he bonded with so deeply that they'd start a family together.

Sometimes, life just had its way of surprising him in the best ways imaginable.

Looking back up from his daughter, Kyell nodded at Eli. <Well, I'm glad to have you here with us, and if there's anything you need help with, feel free to let us know.> He wasn't quite sure how difficult his recovery and medical leave were on him, but Kyell would always make an effort to help if he could.

Then Starlin arrived and asked him a question about Miri.

<She's here but-> And he was off. Kyell blinked and looked down the hallway with a far more protective glance all of a sudden. Whenever Miri needed her privacy and people were close to disturbing it, he always felt tense. He had never been aggressive with anybody in his life, but if there was one thing that could change that, it would be people bothering Miri or their kids.

Soon enough, Starlin returned and Miri joined them again shortly after. Within a second, Kyell felt some frustration lingering, and his gaze shifted to Starlin, a little colder than before. But rather than addressing him, he specifically reached out to just Miri. <Everything alright?> he asked to make sure, before nodding at what she told the group as a whole.

<I'd love a tour.>

Eliphas smiled lightly.
I'm glad you have a consistent means of communicating he offered, with full sincerity, I was taught a little GSL growing up, my aunt Helane is deaf and she used to visit every spring 'til Benjin was born. Telepathy would definitely have helped her, it's a shame sensitivity isn't afforded to everyone when it comes to such things.
Realizing that he was rambling, Eli's cheeks reddened and he peered away. That redness only worsened when Kyell offered him help should he need it. Likewise he briefly glanced toward Lara knowing full well how taxing a babe could be especially when they were still so young. Nevermind with two of them. It will be nice to have others around, it gets quiet here when Starlin's busy.
Speaking of his Master, Starlin appeared only to swiftly disappear in search of Miri. He raised a brow, especially when he sensed a touch of trepidation in their growing connection through the Force, but ultimately said nothing until he was passing the room by again and made an offhanded comment concerning the dogs.
"I didn't know either, really" he said with a soft chuckle, "But just look at them, how could I not?" Samurai got just as many fusses as his brother.
Then Miri was back with them, and Eliphas was being asked to give them a tour. He paled ever so slightly, but ultimately nodded his head. "Of course, right away."
Waiting to have space to pass through the door, he moved the hoverchair out into the hall and then led them down toward the lounge-cum-kitchenette where he set the baby carrier down upon one of the sofas. "Starlin does a good job of keeping the kitchen stocked" he explained, "There's a second lounge too, if you want some family time alone."
He led them past the main living space, closer to the cockpit, and gestured to one of the many rooms the ship had. "I haven't actually explored the ship much myself" he confessed, Eliphas hadn't been feeling very adventurous as of late.

<Everything alright?>

<Yes,> was Miri's reply. <Kyla was just hungry. How is Lara?>

Eli initially jumped at the chance to give them a tour of the ship, but after showing them the kitchen and lounge, he admitted that he hadn't really explored much of the Bright Knight. "There's also a fully-automated medbay," Miri said. "Just like what we had on the Conestoga, only bigger."

Rather than stand there mourning the loss of her father's ship for the umpteenth time, Miri ventured further down the main hallway, heading toward the rear of the vessel. To her left was a large open area which seemed to be a garage of sorts. A few bits and pieces of droids and ship parts lay on worktables alongside various tools. To the right was the cargo hold, which was filled to the brim with consumables and other supplies.

The next door down was unlabeled. Upon opening it, Miri raised an eyebrow. "Come and check this out," she called to Kyell and Eli.

Inside was an armory/private museum. Weapons ranging from lightsabers to swords to blasters and guns lined one wall, along with full suits of elaborate armor. There was even an old-fashioned shield among them, its surface carved and painted to look like it had three amber reptilian eyes staring out of it. Miri and presumably Eliphas had seen Starlin don some of this gear, but a great deal of it was unfamiliar and strange.

Against the opposite wall, climate-controlled display cases held various relics—holocrons, scrolls, books, and other objects, some whose purpose was unknown. Many had been coated with nullification resin to prevent their aura in the Force from being detected... and to stop them from influencing living beings with dark energies and whatnot, of course.

"I knew he had a collection like this, but I didn't know it was this extensive," Miri remarked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom