Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Move-In Day

SENATOR OFFICES, SENATE BUILDING
CORUSCANT

Standing outside the doors to his new office, Alicio took a deep breath in, savoring the moment. Even when he attended University for politics, he had never dared to dream of rising to the rank of senator. An integral part of the complex machine they call Alliance democracy. It still didn't feel entirely real.

But here he was. At the office of Senator Alicio Organa. Touching the controls gently, the door parted, revealing a completely empty room, the view of Coruscant's bustling industry visible through an enormous window. Alicio admired from afar, passing riverstone eyes over his new space, longing to enter it.

But first...

Alicio cast his gaze over the table in the hallway. It was a beautifully detailed, lacquered wood, swirling with the designs of Alderaanian animals. Alicio had it shipped from his office in Sanctuary City, one piece of home, his former life. The moving company that had brought it were unable to open the locked office, so they were forced to leave it outside.

The Count tentatively grasped the lip of the table, giving it a test pull, and growing a concerned expression as it squeaked loudly against the floor.

How was he supposed to bring it in by himself?

- Auteme Auteme -

if they're watching anyways
hJJw3Ng.png

Alicio Organa Alicio Organa

There was the sharp clacking of heels, then a soft sigh as she arrived.
290975157_1461406734310296_2995932076038156710_n_1.png

"Ah- I expected as much." She looked down at the long table sitting outside the newly-arrived Senator's office. "Major, Perav- could you move the table inside for Senator Organa?"

The two staff that followed her were quick to get to work, moving in and offering to help take the table. The younger, her aide Perav, was a tall Zabrak woman dressed sharp as a tac. Major Qharn was in a stylish grey uniform, similar to the ones used by the Epochan military, though with a few modifications Auteme had chosen personally. She'd given them both a hand dressing up for the occasion. It wouldn't do to look unprofessional in front of Alderaan's new representative.

Auteme let them do the heavy lifting. Few Senators ever dressed ready for 'work', particularly not her; her dress and accessories were far more at home among the highest echelons of society. She'd ascended rapidly to her station, never stopping for even a moment to rest ever since she'd taken her first steps into the Senate. Acquainting herself with a new face, stressful as that seemed, was now light work.

Despite her high stature she articulated an aura of grounded calmness and genuine feeling. Putting Alicio at ease would make everything easier.

"I had the same thing when I arrived. The security here -- well, it's excellent, but sometimes I think that they really should just allow the movers inside," she said, smiling. "I had these beautiful vases, but they were so heavy. I was worried for the whole day someone would come by and grab them, until I got some help bringing them in."

Perav and Qharn placed the table at the center of the room, briefly glancing at Alicio for any guidance on if they should move it.

"I hope it's alright that I came over. Mm- and I suppose you don't have a kettle here, either. Perav, would you be so kind as to fetch us some tea?"

The Zabrak nodded and smiled, briskly walking off at Auteme's signal. Qharn also stepped away, taking up a post outside the office door.

"In any case -- welcome to Coruscant, Senator Organa."

Suddenly, a voice.

Alicio stood up straight, startled a little by the sudden appearance of three people in the hallway. He absently straightened the black cape over his shoulders, making sure he was presentable to the senator, and her entourage. "Oh, thanks."

As the senator's aide and Major moved to take the table from him, Alicio didn't budge from his position. "I've got this side. Um, you two can take the other." He waited for them to get into position, before leading the count. "One, two, three..."

Straining his muscles despite his senator attire, Alicio shuffled the table inside, performing the unenviable task of walking backward into the room. But it wasn't long before they set the furniture down, and the Count let out a deep sigh, having listened to Auteme's story. "I'm glad it wasn't just me. I was afraid I looked like a bit of a goober out there, trying to hoist a table in myself." Then, looking to the help, he nodded appreciatively. "Thanks for the assist. It's good here. For now, at least."

"I hope it's alright that I came over. Mm- and I suppose you don't have a kettle here, either. Perav, would you be so kind as to fetch us some tea?"

"Of course," Alicio said, still off-put by the sudden arrival, but more than happy to entertain the guests. "I'll get all the necessities in here eventually." He shot the senator a coy look. "For an Alderaanian, that means tea-making amenities."

At Auteme's welcome, Alicio couldn't stop a half-grin from cracking his face. Senator Organa.

"Thank you, Senator Denko-Durren." He executed a polite half-bow, managing to compose himself. "It's been... a bit overwhelming, if I'm being honest."

- Auteme Auteme -

Last edited:

Auteme laughed, just finding a childish amusement in the word 'goober'.

"I understand," she said, gliding into the room towards the table. "Yes. I'm happy to help you -- if I'm being honest, I feel... weird, being the experienced one here." She smiled. The fact that Alicio was younger than her gave her great hope for the future. There seemed to be a shift in the Senate; all of the old party leaders were filtering out, and so few had announced campaigns for Chancellor or bloc candidacy.

Also, she felt comfortable enough to speak a little more casually. Goober really does that to someone.

"Aside from- this, has your moving in been smooth? Did Faith leave you her estate, whatever she had? And her staff?"

Alicio took a moment to spin on his heel, taking in the space. The room was far bigger than his office on Alderaan, made even more spacious by the lack of decorations and furniture, sans the table. It spoke of unsung opportunities; this space could be whatever he wanted, as long as he put in a bit of thought and effort.

Talk about a metaphor.

The Alderaanian folded his hands behind his back, pondering the question. "Well, I believe Faith usually stayed in the embassy when she was here. Which worked for her, since she split her time between here and Alderaan. But since I'll be living on Coruscant, I've gotten a nearby apartment." The Count migrated towards the large window. "It's small, but the view is to die for."

"I'd rather do things by myself. No staff needed."
He frowned. "Although I might need to look at getting an aide of my own, soon. I assume a senator's workload tends to pile up."

Alicio found a smile. "I'd offer you a seat, but..." He gestured around at the empty room, before fully facing his fellow senator.

"Do you have any advice for a new politician?"

- Auteme Auteme -

Auteme laughed at his gesture to the awfully empty room, then smiled coyly at his question. “Ah, no, no, that’s not how you’re supposed to play the game. We’re supposed to chat, and if you’re witty and charming I’ll reward you with a nugget of wisdom. It’s like a chapter of a novel, you know. The moral comes at the end. The learning for the protagonist.”

She snorted.

“Kidding. But, there’s a little dance you have to do. There aren’t many here willing to drop the facade like that, be honest, like you and I.” She paused a moment, eyes scanning up and down to study him, but soon continued. “Of course, biggest advice is, indeed, find a good aide quickly. Staff to handle your comms and check your legislation. The work does, indeed, pile up fast.

“I know a few good firms here on Coruscant that train trustworthy and skilled staff,” she offered.

As Auteme returned his question with a bit of humor, Alicio grew a wry expression. Even as he smiled, the corner of his mouth puckered, as if he were sharing a silent conversation with himself.

"If you don't mind, I think I'd like to employ someone from my city on Alderaan." Alicio grinned apologetically. He wanted to put out the call to Sanctuary City. It was his work with the refugees that got him here. He figured he should honor them with that much, at least. "But please send me their information anyways. Just in case."

Alicio leaned against his table, still thinking hard. "If I may drop the facade, Senator, I don't like that there should even be a facade to begin with." Alicio frowned. "I realize it might be necessary, with all of the... um... self-invested parties out there, but I didn't accept the role of Senator to play games."

Who would have guessed he would be the no-nonsense type? Certainly not him. He loved tea parties and a good palaver. "I just want to help people. Maybe a bit of honesty is what the Assembly needs?" Alicio looked over at Auteme, simultaneously looking for advice, and gauging her reaction. Waiting to see if she would unmask as well, or if she would stay half-obscured.

- Auteme Auteme -

Last edited:
Auteme was a little taken aback by Alicio's directness. It wasn't as though she'd had to probe into his motivations much -- he was open and genuine, to the point of naivete. Still, Auteme questioned herself. Am I more experienced and cunning, or have I simply become too cynical? Could I have come as far as I have, if I was more open with my desires and ideals?

She already thought she was quite open. Cutting honesty was a deadly tool against those who hid behind facades of generosity and care. It was a tool she used often in debate, but rarely in private conversation, where it was less a great battle, and more a silent duel.

The last time she'd heard idealism like Alicio's in a Senator...

No, it was far different. Surely. She quieted that small pain in her heart, and spoke.

"I don't think there are Senators who will claim to be dishonest, or to not want to help people," she said. "But, I believe you. And you're certainly right. No one should be able to afford to play games with the people of the Alliance."

Auteme paused, glancing at the door just a moment before Perav returned with a tea tray. She moved swiftly to the table and placed it gently down. "Atrisian green. Do you require anything else?"

"No, thank you, Perav."

The aide gave a slight head bow before walking back out of the room. Auteme took the teapot and poured both cups, adding a pinch of sugar, a splash of milk, and a little spoon of honey to hers.

"There's always that age-old debate -- ends justifying the means, you know. I'm sure you know I intend to be Chancellor, but that isn't even close to the ends.

"I intend to destroy the Brotherhood of the Maw. To root out the Sith and their corrosive ideology. To counter imperialism both within the Alliance and without. To tear off the stranglehold corporate interests have over this nation.

"I intend to return power and freedom to the people. I intend to educate, to broaden horizons, to create new possibilities. I intend to provide them everything they could possibly need, and push our galaxy to new heights. I intend not merely to be a good Chancellor but an unstoppable force for change -- revolutionary, as revolutionary as being elected by a pseudo-aristocracy can be. These are my ends, and I would do very much to achieve them.

"And you, Alicio -- you are my means. The Chancellor can do great things, but they are nothing without the Senate, without the people. I will do a great many things to achieve my ends, and it is you who will keep me in check, ensure that I never stray from the path I have set out. This is no game to me."

She closed her eyes, and took a deep breath.

"Yes. Be honest, always, and observant, and persistent."

"Yes, I'm sure they wouldn't claim that. Publicly, at least," Alicio said, a teasing sort of scorn in his voice. He knew about the corruption in the Senate. He and Faith had shared an eye-opening conversation on his first trip to the capital. On initial impressions, the Assembly had looked like a group of well-meaning politicians. Now, he knew a bit better.

"Thank you very much," he murmured to Perav, taking his tea as it was offered, and scooping a small spoonful of sugar into the drink, mixing it thoughtfully as the Senator from Epoch spoke.

Auteme's following speech would've made any self-respecting populist swoon. She asked for accountability, listed what hot-button issues in the Alliance needed to be addressed, with a focus on welfare, she even mentioned coming from monarchal-flavored democracy, the same as Alicio. It was too good to be true. It was almost as if...

The speech had been crafted to cater to him. Which either meant she was really good at her job, or she had premeditated this meeting to bring up her candidacy.

Alicio found a somber expression, which he quickly covered up with a sip from his cup. He shouldn't have been surprised; he was a senator, now. People want things from senators.

"I... see," Alicio finally said, noticeably crest-fallen, despite her incredible address. "It's a good platform."

His expression became sphinx-like, unreadable. "But any candidate can make blanket statements about the state of the galaxy. Anyone can say they're going to stop the Maw, or face the Empire, or weed out the corruption in our society."

Alicio cocked his head curiously to the side. "So, give me the sales pitch. Why should I put my faith in you, over any other would-be chancellor? Why are you the best person to lead the Galactic Alliance?"

- Auteme Auteme -

Last edited:
"Oh, wow, you actually want policy? Okay." Auteme straightened and move a touch closer towards the table. Mentally, she was cracking her knuckles.

"End unemployment -- wipe out the system of on-demand work to ensure regular paychecks, institute an employer-of-last-resort system for the government; thereby increasing wages, reducing inflation, and increasing the collective bargaining power of workers in the Alliance. Abolish or at least curtail landlords -- increase affordable housing grants, mandate minimums of mixed zoning and multi-family housing, harder rent increase caps; thereby reducing or ideally ending homelessness, increasing the number of productive citizens, and reducing the strain on shelters and medical facilities. Expand education -- massively so, by increasing pay for teachers, increasing the quality and accuracy of our curriculums, making every educational institution in the Alliance free to attend for all; thereby increasing the number of skilled laborers and politically active citizens. Reduce and redistribute the wealth of the wealthiest -- properly fund our taxation agencies, increase wealth taxes, institute a maximum wage, universal basic income; thereby increasing the funds at the disposal of the federal government for other projects and reducing wealth inequality.

"Ideally -- democratize all elections for Senators across the Alliance. Unshackle the highest levels of military command to allow them to deal, fully, with the Brotherhood of the Maw, but also put in place the necessary civilian oversight to ensure accountability. Increase funding for veteran's affairs and psychological supports for soldiers. And, again, education; we all know that the Sith, the corporatists, the imperials are wrong, but we must be clear and concise in our explanations as to why, and provide citizens with the critical skills to understand those explanations."

She paused a moment, then frowned slightly. "I'm probably missing something. But, to me -- even getting one or two of those issues down pat would be a massive win for the Alliance."

Last edited:

To his credit, Alicio kept up with the deluge of points with some amount of proficiency. A monumental feat for a politician not in power for more than a week. The more that Auteme talked, the more relaxed Alicio seemed to become, perhaps the opposite reaction one might be expected to get.

He'd surprised her with a difficult question, one she perhaps wasn't ready to answer, and she went above and beyond. Even if she was ready to give him the shpeal, even if she had somehow arranged for his furniture to be stuck outside his room like a dastardly villain, Auteme's apparent intentions were pure. As an added bonus, her views lined up with his own quite nicely.

"Alright." Alicio nodded to his fellow Senator, sipping his tea once more. "That's more than enough." He put the cup down, glancing at the window. "I wanted to see if you had a plan. If you had thought it out, beyond sweeping generalizations to win votes. But you've convinced me that you care for the people. That alone has convinced me."

"I've been thinking a lot, recently, about what I believe is the right direction for the Alliance. In a state actively at war, it's incredibly easy to forget our civic duties to that state's citizens. Everything you've said, heightening education, redistributing wealth, increasing the accessibility of housing, tells me you haven't forgotten. And that's worth a vote."

The Count shrugged. "See? Who needs games?"

- Auteme Auteme -

Auteme took a sip of her tea. "Oh- and ban the trading of stocks by anyone in the Senate. Almost forgot." With the current freeze on bills entering the floor, that particular proposal had yet to be tabled, but it was one Auteme would be supporting as much as possible.

She placed her cup back on the table. "If war was enough to make me lose sight of things, well -- I'd have been blinded years ago. The Alliance, unfortunately, is built on the backs of many wars. I don't necessarily think they were for the wrong reasons, that our enemies should have been left alone -- but it is war nonetheless, and that model is... terrifying. Our galaxy is terrifying. I want to build a galaxy without war, but there are still so many people that would see this nation crumble by pure force."

The balance of the necessary military and the necessary reduction in violence in the galaxy was a tough one to strike. Auteme, admittedly, had no idea how to strike it. She hoped that once the Brotherhood was defeated they could reduce their military spending, and encourage nearby nations to do the same, but there were far more war hawks than pacifists in the galaxy.

"It's all-" his final words looped back to her one more time, and she suddenly straightened, looking around. "You said you didn't have any staff, correct? Do you have any security?

"Have you..." she put up a finger, and made a little circle in the air with it, glancing around the room.

"'A galaxy without war.'" The Alderaanian Senator pondered his drink. "I don't think such a thing could exist." He continued quickly, realizing how dark his previous statement was without context.

"What I mean to say is, that in a galaxy as large as ours, there will always be something worth fighting for. Combatting the Sith, protecting our planets, returning freedoms to people caught under tyranny's boot... If we aren't going to bat for the people that need it, we'll prove ourselves the uncaring, lazy Senate our enemies portray us as."

"Neither do I want the Alliance to don the tyrant's boot when we try to step on it. You've thought about it, too. Which is why you have my vote."

Auteme's sudden caution was met with surprise by the Count. "I do have guards, yes. But they aren't around at the moment." He shook his head no. He had just stepped into the locked room for the first time, there was no guaranteeing it was free from prying ears.

- Auteme Auteme -

"Mm." She didn't have the sense that she was being watched; if she had, she likely would've thought to check the room sooner. Being listened to, though -- that was always harder to tell.

She tapped her foot a few times. "Well, it's good practice to keep yourself safe. In my time in the Senate -- there's been far too many attacks and assassinations."

Behind her, the door opened silently, and like a ghost the Major slipped inside. Auteme signaled her orders quickly. Qharn signaled an affirmative, then began to move about the room, pulling a small metal device into his hand as he scanned the periphery.

"Granted, those were mostly on more... controversial figures, but it doesn't take much to be controversial. Even what I said can seem extreme to some."

Alicio's face slowly bled white. "I... I know the risks." He couldn't help but think of Tiresh. As far as he knew, she was still missing. "I was at the gala where Marovik Kobitana Marovik Kobitana ..."

Was shot down by a bounty hunter. At a fundraiser for a city that Alicio and his missing daughter had built.

While he would never admit it, Alicio did have the occasional nightmare of that happening to him.

"I'll keep it in mind. Thank you." He meant it. As a senator, his life was now in constant danger. Not just from without, but within the Alliance as well. And he wasn't a masterful, Force-wielding hero like Auteme.

At least, not yet.

"Nothing of what you said should be controversial," the Count muttered, watching as the Major swept the room. "Social advancement should be our top priority, as a legislative body. And..." He waited for the Major to complete his check before continuing. "And undoing corporate protections that corporations themselves put in place for their own self-gain is necessary."

"I'm happy to help, however I can."

- Auteme Auteme -

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom