Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question Minor Factions Conflicting with Majors?

If we make a minor faction does it have to follow whatever the majors and the map is doing? For example can people make factions like a republic based on Coruscant even though we have an alliance? Or a galactic Empire that operates out of Hoth no matter who controls Hoth? Or a pirate faction that blew up Naboo even though Naboo is on the map?

Or should we make minors with consideration to whats going on in the major world?

Let me know if that doesn't make sense. I wasn't sure how to phrase it.

You're not forced to acknowledge other people's writing on the board, but it's generally considered bad writing etiquette not to. The site is meant to create a cooperative, story-focused environment, so ignoring what other people do isn't really something that contributes to that. It's a lot more fun for everybody to work together on those stories.

As for making factions like a Republic or Empire, it's a bit difficult as a minor to set up such big things unless the intention is to go Major at some point. Nothing you do as minor is represented on the map, your fleets/armies and infrastructure is not as significant as that of a Major, and you don't have access to some of the really impactful thread types that spark a lot of hype on the board, such as invasions/annihilations. When you're "competing" with Majors who are doing essentially those things you mention, they're typically going to be more appealing to people as well.

Also on a side note, you can't blow up a planet like Naboo as a minor. Only Annihilation threads can destroy planets, as per the rules of the site, and these threads can only be initiated by a Major Faction. I know you probably just threw out a wild example, but just in case.

Matt the Radar Tech

ꜰɪxɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ʀᴀᴅᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴜꜰꜰ
As a minor, your best bet is to avoid big, bold claims before you become a major.

And if you intend to remain a minor, maintaining that smaller scale for your group, it's probably better to maintain a narrative/status that suits being a minor.

For example, could you make a Republic on Coruscant? Sure. But it would (likely) be a grassroots movement that's probably a few dozen or few hundred in number, with very little in the way of influence when it comes to the major that controls the planet. And if you started throwing your (minor) weight around, demanding the major recognize you and respect your (minor) faction's demands to reform or bow before you, then... chances are you'll be ignored, or outright overpowered by the major's infinitely superior and readily available resources.

My best advice would be to follow these steps:

1. Make your minor with growth (major) potential, but avoid claiming that status without the IC development (of becoming a major)
2. If you seek to oppose a major, reach out and discuss with that major, and see if there can't be some interesting plot to be had (which could support step 1 for your minor)
3. Remember your minor is a minor; you will be inferior in every way to any major you're up against, so don't shy away from that and consider embracing it (a Republic might start as a Rebellion, for example!)
4. When in doubt, talk it out - approach those you want to engage/involve yourself with/under/around and just chat about options (if that major has any semblance of genuine community spirit, as those above claim, they'll respond and offer opportunities to work together if they see your effort as equally genuine and plot driven)
5. Don't assume everyone will just accept your minor as anything but a sizzle in the pan (this ties into 4), it's up to you to reach the level of grandeur you want the faction to claim, so get to it!

TD;DR: Start small, be open to evolve into a major, otherwise play nice in the sandbox with the bigger kids and build things together.

Also, when it comes to ignoring/recognizing events from the community, you will find a lot more respect and kudos given if you incorporate what has come before you; for example, if someone wanted to create a Chiss faction, having the destruction of Csilla included in that faction's existence would get them a lot more traction than a group who outright ignore it and just 'exist on (non-destroyed) Csilla'.

I pose to you this question: Why should anyone recognize your plot developments, if you ignore theirs?

Last edited:
shadow of the empire
Sure, you could. But why would you want to? Just seems to limit your world when you're essentially existing in an AU of Chaos.

There's handwavium all around, sure, but this seems like a little bit too much of it.

Can you? It isn’t against the rules, so yeah.

Should you? Probably not, for a number of reasons. Big one: it’s bad writer etiquette. Not only that, but it’s a metaphorical middle finger to the factions who have worked and written stories that build up that place. It’ll also make your minor faction much more insular, because what faction will collab with you when you actively deny their existence? And I mean, major won’t be in the cards any time soon (if at all) if you were to set up on Coruscant for example.

Work for what you want. If you have a compelling enough story and work ethic people will come to you. If you actively flip off the majority of the board then the opposite will happen.

Thanks for the responses guys. I kinda thought that’s what the idea was. No real rule about it but bad form. But I didn’t want to go telling another member that if it wasn’t the case. I’ve been wrong before and pointed someone in a bad direction and felt awful.

Also on a side note, you can't blow up a planet like Naboo as a minor. Only Annihilation threads can destroy planets, as per the rules of the site, and these threads can only be initiated by a Major Faction. I know you probably just threw out a wild example, but just in case.

Lol yes that was a wild example but good point.

I always think if you want to write your own narrative in isolation of everybody else, you may as well write a novel on a google doc. A writing community is only as strong as the community interaction otherwise I struggle to see the point of active participation?

The limits, strictures and confines of acknowledging other people's creativity force us to be even more creative and cooperative, especially as we look to accommodate and enhance the needs and wants of other players.

TL: DR-Yes. Mind what others do. Otherwise, write a novel.

I always think if you want to write your own narrative in isolation of everybody else, you may as well write a novel on a google doc. A writing community is only as strong as the community interaction otherwise I struggle to see the point of active participation?

The limits, strictures and confines of acknowledging other people's creativity force us to be even more creative and cooperative, especially as we look to accommodate and enhance the needs and wants of other players.

TL: DR-Yes. Mind what others do. Otherwise, write a novel.

This is a good way to put it.

I think my first post may have mislead some folks because I worded it terribly.

Basically a member who just returned asked me how they know what all the other factions have ever done/are doing. They were scared they wanted to make a minor faction but that jt might mess up whatever was going on with the other factions. They read the timeline but that doesn’t explain what majors have sub factions, what their IC histories are, etc and not all the major/minors have it all listed on their faction forum.

I told them they could post their idea and see if anybody objects, or they could also DM the owners of the faction they are scared it might conflict with. But the concern seemed to be getting banned so I tried to explain that it’s not really a rule per say, especially if you aren’t being a borg about it and just didn’t know.

But then I thought oh crap… maybe it is a rule… I better check.

Does that make more sense? You all answered my question even if I asked it really poorly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom