Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Meteor OSM-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
KingsmanPistol.png

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: TarkinTech
  • Affiliation: Imperials, Open Market
  • Market Status: Open Market
  • Model: Meteor OSM-20 Slugthrower Pistol
  • Modularity: Yes
    • Sound Suppressor
    • Extended Magazines (pistol only)
  • Production: Mass-Produced
  • Material: Slugthrower components
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Slugthrower pistol with underbarrel flechette launcher
  • Size: Average
  • Weight: Average
  • Ammunition Type: .45 hollow-point slugs, flechette-filled pellets (the main pistol can accept alternate ammunition, such as depleted baradium or cortosis slugs)
  • Ammunition Capacity:
    • Main Gun: Very Small (8 rounds per magazine)
    • Underbarrel: Extremely Small (1 cartridge)
  • Effective Range:
    • Main Gun: Average
    • Underbarrel: Average
  • Rate of Fire:
    • Main Gun: Average (Semi-automatic)
    • Underbarrel: Low (Single shot)
  • Stopping Power:
    • Main Gun: High (vs unarmored), Low (vs armored)
    • Underbarrel: High
  • Recoil:
    • Main Gun: Low
    • Underbarrel: Low
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Comfort Grip
  • Hollow-point rounds
  • Dual Triggers (rear trigger fires the pistol, front trigger fires the flechette launcher)
  • Internal hammer
  • Iron sights
STRENGTHS
  • Block That!: Because of the increased velocity of slugs versus blaster bolts, it is more difficult for someone being shot at to block or deflect the rounds. Unlike blaster bolts, metal slugs slag and fragment into shrapnel when coming into contact with lightsaber blades.
  • Accuracy: With standard loads, the .45 hollow point rounds provide decent accuracy over range (due to the larger meplat of the round) over a normal slug.
  • Low-Tech: The Meteor is incredibly low-tech, meaning that EMPs, Ion weapons, and similar weapons have no effect on it.
WEAKNESSES
  • Blast, I'm Dry!: The low ammunition capacities of both the main gun and underbarrel (8 slugs and one pellet, respectively) means that in an extended gunfight, the wielder of a Meteor will be reloading frequently. This can be somewhat mitigated if the pistol is fitted with an extended magazine, but the capacity of the flechette launcher can never be raised above one.
  • Jammy (and it's not raspberry either): Like its predecessor, the Meteor is prone to jamming if fired too quickly for an extended period of time, and requires 45 seconds of cooling and a reload to function once jammed.
  • Hoist by Your Own Petard: A sufficiently quick Force-wielder can use their telekinesis to launch the flechettes back at the wielder, often with predictably bloody results.
DESCRIPTION
The Meteor OSM-20 was created with the intention of supplementing the existing Comet OSM-10 as a standard sidearm for First Order Navy officers. The main difference between the Comet and the Meteor is that the Meteor replaces the flashlight typically mounted beneath the Comet's barrel with a single-shot flechette launcher. In addition, at the cost of a quarter of the Comet's capacity, the Meteor fires higher-caliber .45 hollow point rounds, as opposed to 10mm. As such, the Meteor excels against "soft targets" but, subsequently, has difficulty penetrating armored targets.

Similar to the FWG-5, the flechette launcher fires small pellets filled with razor-sharp flechettes rather than heavier canisters or cartridges. These pellets explode as they approach their target, launching the twelve millimeter long flechettes forward at high velocity using the momentum generated by the pellet. These flechettes are not powerful enough to puncture through the armor of a tank or the hull of a starship, but tend to perform better against lighter armors like blast vests and plastoid.

This lends itself well to use aboard ships, though the flechette launcher tends to be a last resort tool in the navy, often used only after the pistol's eight rounds have been expended and reloads are too risky, or when the pistol's hollow-point slugs are incapable of penetrating the foe's armor. However, in fields where the intended targets wear little if any armor, like the spy world and intelligence circles, the Meteor can be a very useful tool indeed.

As a slugthrower, the main pistol is capable of taking alternate loads depending on the circumstances. If the unlucky officer finds themselves facing a lightsaber-wielding nutcase, for example, the Meteor is capable of firing cortosis slugs to short out the saber. This comes with the drawback, of course, of more stress on the barrel, and excessive use of cortosis rounds may lead to warping and jamming.

The Meteor was originally created for officers of the First Order's Navy, but the higher stopping power of the hollow-point .45 rounds against soft targets, the optional suppressor, and the brutal efficiency of the flechette launcher has led some First Order Security Bureau agents to arm themselves with it, especially when they require a bit more "oomph" that other pistols have difficulty providing. Additionally, there are no restrictions on the Meteor's usage in the wider First Order, and members of the other branches can requisition one if they are so inclined.

After the First Order fell out of galactic prominence the rights to manufacture and sell the OSM-20 were purchased by TarkinTech of Eriadu, where it has become a favorite of many officers including Vandar Tarkin himself.

Kingsman-ColtHammerless.jpg

Last edited:
Arador Terrix Arador Terrix

What is the status of this submission? As per the rules of pre-factory, which can be found here, each submission may only be in the pre-factory for a month, a period of time which you have exceeded.

Please let me know if you intend to complete this submission, or if you would prefer I move it to the archives, from where you can have the submission pulled at a later date.

Last edited:
Fiolette Raaf John Locke John Locke

I believe I'm ready to have the Meteor moved back for judging. Here's a list of changes made since the original posting:

• edited the intent of the weapon as to not be restricted to the Navy
  • removed "durasteel plating" from the material section
  • replaced the underbarrel shotgun with a flechette launcher, along with all the things that would change as a result, such as ammunition type
  • added the FWG-5 flechette pistol to the sources category
  • edited the range of the pistol itself from Personal to Average
  • changed the recoil, range, and stopping power of the underbarrel to better reflect the strengths and functions of a flechette launcher
  • removed the external hammer from the Strengths, as after thinking about it for a bit, I didn't feel it was significant enough of a feature to be deemed a strength
  • added "Iron sights" to features
  • changed the name of the first strength to better fit its description
  • added a new strength, "Low Tech" and a new weakness, "Hoist by Your Own Petard"
  • expanded the description to be more descriptive and include use outside of the navy
  • added a description of the flechette ammunition and how it functions in the main description

Krass Wyms Krass Wyms Thanks, I've changed it now, I just wanted to make sure before I changed it since it wasn't on my initial request. I also removed the background from the first image but the source is still the same, and added a bit to the description at the end to handwave the manufacturer/affiliation changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom