Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mandos & Mercs

Flint Pherson

F
Taking in Strays
Hey all,
JSC here. Writer of Jedi Karen Roberts. Anyway, I was thinking about having this Mercenary join the Mandalorian Faction as a hired gun. But I wasn't sure if the Group took in strays and sharp-shooters? Any help here would be appreciated. Cause I really don't speak the language of Vod and Verd. And I'd make a terrible Mando writer by the culture alone.
Thoughts?
- JSC

This goes for Halik to say, I believe. Originally Mandos don't take up mercs or stuff like that, either they are a merc force or a conquering force. The latter, which is the Mandalorian Wars timeline Mandos, has it's way of basically assimiliating enslaved populance to the Mandalorian culture which means the only way one could shoot for the Mandos is being a Mando himself. Most of those were actually freed prisoners. (Check Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic Comic Books issues for referrence.) You either Mando or you are dead. And the Mandalorians here on the site are much derived from those from Kotor so yeah. Still it remains Halik's choice and it's his choice also if he wants mine or the other Mandalorian writers' opinion on this. I am sure you are familiar with how the Mandalorians were exactly a machine that harvested people in its cause and slowly rooted them to the Mandalorian culture transforming them into legit Mandos.
Now as far as it goes in my opinion if we, Mandos, hired mercs and pirates to do our job we'd be totally hindering our culture of war/battle loving people. Yet as I said it's Halik's choice in the end.

Flint Pherson

F
Fascinating. I had no idea. Boba and Jango where my primary learning curves and they were just hired guns. Hmm.
Then perhaps I wouldn't mind writing a newly assimilated Mandalorian captive -turned fighter. Flint's own personal journey into the culture could mirror my own. I'll stick around to see what Faction Leader Halik has to say. I mean, As long as this guy gets to shoot aliens, he'll be just fine.

If he doesn't like aliens then Mandalorian is the last thing he'd ever be. Mandalorians will accept anyone regardless of heritage, species, whatever - they're all Mando so long as they follow the Resol'nare. However, forcing him to constantly work with people he hates would be interesting.

Zef and Sarge really handle this well. Not saying that you can't in certain instances work with us but the Mandalorians really wouldn't be hiring you.

Sarge's right about the xenophobic stuff. And yes it would be interesting, other than that my own character is a captive turned Mandalorian although his mother is of long Mandalorian lineage but he's never seen her and was a scoundrel throughout his life. So now he is in a dillema to follow the footsteps of his mother or honor his father's memory and attempt escape. So yeah the Mando harvesting machine is working pretty fine. Whoa, enough ranting about Zef. xD
About Boba and Jango - The Mandalorians have had 3 different "forms" so to speak:
1. One the Merc Force (Boba, Jango, Fenn Shysa, Tobbi Dala, Clone Commander Spar and Jaster Mereel - Jango's mentor and the man who united the Mandalorians under this ideology.) type Mandos who are followers of the Resol'nare nonetheless but their ideology is that Mandalorians are a Mercenary Force (Quotating Jaster Mereel: "So what's wrong with being a mercenary? Is your war worth fighting? If it is, then why does it matter who fights it for you? Aren't we imbued with the righteousness of your cause when we take up arms for you? Would you rather your own men and women died to make the point? And if your war is so noble, so necessary—why aren't you fighting it for yourself? Think of all that before you spit on us, aruetii.")
2. Pacifist Mandos: Duchess Satine and her bollocks in Clone Wars. The name itself speaks about what it is. I am sure you watch Clone Wars and even if you dont the name would quickly describe what that form of Mandos is: Typical government, cutting of Mandalorian love for battle culture and Satine being a freaking 110% pacifist.
3. Raiders/Conquerors: Kotor Mandos (Mandalore the Ultimate, Cassuss Fett [love this guy] ) - those that I explained previously - and the Death Watch (Pre Vizsla, Tor Vizsla and Satine's sister), a splinter group that appears later on when the Mandalorians are under one of the two "forms" stated above which wants to bring the old ways aka the Kotor Mando ways.

P.S: Hope this makes stuff about Mandos clear.

Flint Pherson

F
Wow. Very cool. Thanks to Zef and Sarge for your great answers. And thanks to Halik for replying. It seems I've got some, (Alot), more reading to do. Haha.
In light of this new information I suppose it would be best if this character remained a separate entity from the Mandalorian Faction at this time. Even were he to join, I fear my knowledge of Mando culture would inhibit his ability to represent them properly. At least, right now.
*locks his slide back and checks the chamber*
And thanks Tegaea! The more the merrier, right? Haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom