Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

(Major Faction Application) The Jedi Order (TJO)

tumblr_mwd59xHbEB1sxm6jjo1_500.gif
Checking In​

[member="Teynara Jeralyr"]

Perhaps I am missing something, but I have some questions to ask which may be able to change my mind.

1. I have looked through all the listed threads. None of them except for two <5 post private threads are from the last month. The ones over 20 posts are either joint, event or other major faction threads. Do you feel you have an acceptable body of threads to justify major status?
  2. Of the people who have checked in this thread, how many do you feel have actually been involved in your previous threads; I count many here who either only just joined or have not taken part.
  3. Do you believe your staff team has the activity and resilience to maintain this faction?
  4. If you are on the map you can and likely will be attacked. 'Not playing the map game' is a fallacy. Remember, SJO started out peaceful, and see how they have been forced to fight back. How will you respond to this?
  5. When I see this thread very near to the top of your own forum, I am not enthused about your possibilities. Was going major a move to try and (re)gain activity?

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

I'll cover those point-by-point, if I may.

1) Honestly, those are the ones that V gave me. As I said, we have many others, if you'd like them. I'll get the others to gather up a few of them and we'll link them back for you.

2) We do indeed have a lot of new members, but that alone ought to highlight the enthusiasm people have for a Jedi Order which acts like a Jedi Order! People are signing up because they want this, not because we're asking them to do us a favour. It's worth noting that we've had three new members join our ranks just since posting the application for Major. There's clear enthusiasm there.

3) Yes, we absolutely do. That part has never been in question, to my mind.

4) We fully expect to be attacked: we don't believe that we won't get involved in the map game, we just know that our approach to it is going to be very different to groups like SJO, or the FO, or TSE. We're not going to maintain an active combat fleet, nor are we going to respond to attacks with force (one of the reasons we believe that some of the other Jedi factions have gone awry from their mandate as peacekeeping factions in the first place): we'll respond through diplomacy and patient negotiation. If we're attacked, we'll defend ourselves, but we have no designs on becoming an offensive faction - our role as peacekeepers doesn't rule out violence, but it does remind us that violence should only be applied if necessary. And we don't see it being that necessary - and, or so we hope, that approach will generate some great storytelling between ourselves and other factions.

Our seperation from governance of the worlds we take into our influence cloud doesn't distract from the possibility of those worlds still being able to defend themselves in their own political rights and any defense towards invasion could be played on our part in conjunction with said governments emphasizing the smaller scale stories of the Jedi rising to support the innocent through starfighter combat or ground assaults.

The more our cloud of influence grows, the more influence we portray across these systems and allow us to further rally to their sides to defend them against invasion forces, regardless of the fact that we are not a military power, as peacekeepers, we can and will stand to defend the worlds within our territories.

5) Not entirely (though it certainly seems to have worked!). Most people who are serious about RPing a Jedi have ultimately always been drawn to a Major Faction, and we felt that we'd done enough preparation to throw ourselves into the mix. More to the point, with the Order of the Sacred Lotus having gone minor a while back, we also feel that there's no Major Faction that fills the niche that we're looking at: that of orthodox Jedi working as Healers, Scholars, Diplomats etc. The GA's Jedi have to focus on their own internal politics as part of the Alliance, and the SJO have very much turned into a militant anti-Sith faction of late. We think there's a lot of room for a more orthodox Jedi faction, and that's why we're putting ourselves out there.

It's true that we've had occasional activity concerns, but it's also worth noting that we're growing as a faction, we have more than enough active writers to qualify for Major, and we're looking to slip into a niche which we think many writers will find (and are currently finding, if today's new intake is any indication!) appealing.

1. I would like them. This application is like a job application - give me everything you have because it can make the difference.
  2. Possibly, though it is also a symptom of a hype train. We shall see.
  3. Indeed? Interesting. We shall see.
  4. An entirely passive map faction in my experience tends to become a punching bag. The Jedi you are describing fit an era of peace, but in an era of constant war the Jedi have always had to become warriors or be wiped out. Regardless, this is your answer, so we shall see.
  5. Perhaps. You have had people signup here in enough numbers, that is true.
Get me your updated thread list and I will take this to an admin vote.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

I've added some more to the list - should anyone send me more links, I'll add those, too.

We're not planning to be passive, honestly, we're just aiming to try something new, because we want a faction of Jedi acting like Jedi (since it is one of the cornerstones of Star Wars!). So far...we've got a lot of enthusiasm for that, and we're aiming to generate more as we go along. We've already got some big plans in the works, and we'd like to see those through, and hope you'll support us in this. Yes, many of the Jedi factions have had to become warriors, but I remember days on Chaos when it wasn't always so, and I think we can bring that around again. It's worth a shot!

Irrespective of the outcome, thanks for taking the time to go through this :) All else fails, we'll keep pushing forward anyway - we've all invested a lot of time and energy into this, and we plan to continue doing so, minor or Major.

[member="Teynara Jeralyr"][member="Valiens Nantaris"]
A while ago, you mentioned this was the faction for Obi-Wan and Yoda not Windu and Anakin. Both Yoda and Obi-Wan were capable fighters, as evidenced by the videos bellow.

Sorry for prequals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRd9PGmAQUE

This one is more accurate to us, although interestingly Obi-Wan isn't using his normal fighting style, but rather the unorthodox Djem-So.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0scImICHU14​

On the subject of bandwagoning, I would have made Kenshin whether TJO or no TJO. It simply happened that TJO fit him, as he is a swordsman who prefers to be diplomatic first. I suppose you could say he believes in the old saying of "Form 0".

[member="Kenshin Mamoru"]

It's not about whether you can fight, but about whether you should fight. More often than not, there's another way. That's something we haven't explored much at Chaos, but it's definitely on the agenda.

This is going to be a long post, but that's only because I care somewhat about the situation of the Jedi on the board as a whole.

Why after being the heads of the movement to bring together the Jedi do you wish to go major now? Shouldn't we keep the momentum on possibly reuniting under one banner rather than committing fully to a further splintering? I don't mind the move, it just seems counter intuitive to the neutral, mediator-role the TJO has somewhat taken up in regards to the other Jedi group.

I feel that progress toward this goal has been made because the TJO's leaders, particularly Veiere, have grown to be respected by most Jedi groups and seen as something of a none threat in terms of OOC ambitions for map conquest. Putting them on the playing field to affect the map game significantly is going to do a lot of damage to that umbrella of neutrality as you'll be as much of a competitor against the other Jedi as the Sith are on a technical level.

I feel like we've made real progress toward a true reunification, and that we were going to have a breakthrough somewhere in the next few IRL months. Going major is going to reduce a lot of that progress and turn the TJO into what the Silvers used to be, likely alienating a few of the older hard core unificationist Jedi that have been running about since the fall of the Republic, and leading to a decline later on.

You have a good thing going; an open dialogue with other factions, a friendly relationship with most of the other Jedi, and a possibility to serve as the rebirth of the old Jedi Order in due time. Be very careful going major. Not only does it paint a target on your back for the allied invasions of your worlds in a continuous stream (TSE, TGE, FO), but it's likely going to cause friction with the other orders. NJO Jedi aren't going to want to have to answer to a council that belongs to a major faction, even in an allied role.

The only way the Jedi are going to be the entity that they once were on Chaos is if we agree work together as one great organization again. I had been led to believe that the TJO was working toward a semblance of this greater purpose with the conclaves and talks with the other Jedi factions in regards to a wider council. How is this affected by your going major?

Anyway, that's my two sense. If it works, then by all means go for it. I would be pleasantly surprised to see the Jedi return in their old fashion, but realistically we're never going to have anytime to write our peace time Jedi stories until we've united once and for all to beat back the Sith once again. Is this a move that helps that cause of reunification, or is this going to hurt if? If one could convince me as to why it's beneficial, I will happily throw my lot in with them.

[member="Cedric Grayson"]

For the most part, that reunification doesn't look like it's going to happen - not least because the three main existing Jedi factions all have very different ideologies, and aren't particularly wanting to unify in the way that we'd hoped. The GA's Jedi are marginalised under their own faction banner, and thus are not a formal Jedi faction, but rather a political body with Jedi. SJO have suffered a considerable number of setbacks with their militant agenda, but there's talk of them now going minor, which would leave the board with no active Jedi Major factions, should that end up being the case.

The idea of unifying under a single banner would work if everyone didn't have different priorities. TJO is putting Jedi first, while the other two have very different ideas of what that looks like. Although there's an open dialogue and a tacit agreement to work together, that's as far as it's likely to go: there won't be some grand reunification with all Jedi pouring into a single faction. Nobody seems to really want that, and so we all agree to be friends but go back to our own corners.

That being so, we have to focus on our own vision for the future, and push forward accordingly. We've tried to mediate with the other groups and been largely successful in creating connections and dialogues, but that's as far as it goes. TJO won't be a competitor for any Jedi faction (although if SJO go under, there won't be any Jedi Major factions to speak of!), but rather there to assist or, in some cases, help clean up the mess. Without reunification, our mandate remains the same, and we'll press on regardless, because to do otherwise is to sell ourselves short in favour of an agenda which is not our own. We're not here to play second fiddle to militant factions or those subsumed under someone else's political umbrella: we're here to put a Jedi-centric, aid-focused, non-political faction on the map, and go from there. The board has no such Major faction at present, and that's something we intend to change, whether it happens now or six months from now.

Reunification just isn't a possibility. So we've no reason to change our plans, and we all decided that going Major would be the best move forward.

I wouldn't see reunifcation as impossible; people just have to allow their egos to fade, which has proved to be a problem for years now.

That being said, if this is your general thought process, why not just proceed with Commenor and start calling yourselves the new republic or something along those lines. If you wanna go old school, why not embrace it wholly? I'd be entirely behind that.

Because that would undercut both factions: Commenor wish to maintain their neutrality as a political faction, and TJO wish to press forward as a Jedi faction, rather than Jedi in service to a political faction (which would make us much the same as NJO/GA). Our purpose isn't to serve any singular political entity, but rather be a faction for Jedi to act like Jedi. The NJO Jedi can only do that to a certain extent, since they're required to support their GA allies (and thus, serve as a subfaction for them), and SJO have long had a more militant anti-Sith bias that pulls them away from what we believe is the appropriate practice of Jedi orthodoxy. Ours isn't to be a military faction, but a peacekeeping and humanitarian one that focuses on providing aid and mediation for conflict.

Is it a difficult sell? Absolutely. Is it a risk? Yes. But we also believe that it's something a board that's pretty much war, war and war could use. There's an awful lot of conflict floating around at the moment, and we think it would be only natural for the Jedi to step up during such times and try to find a better way. It might not work, but we're not proceeding from a position of pessimism - we've got a lot of good, experienced and enthusiastic members who have some pretty solid ideas of how we can achieve that, so we'll keep at it, because it's a job worth doing.

[member="Teynara Jeralyr"] - Alrighty, you make a good sell.

I don't know if the TJO will be for me and my friends, but I look forward to continued RP with themin the future. Thanks for taking the time and answering my questions both respectfully and in a timely manner.

Always happy to talk things through, Cedric - we're all about keeping lines of dialogue open, and Jedi and those who share their ideals are always welcome on Deneba :) Hell, we'd probably allow Sith into the Enclave, if they surrendered their weapons and promised to behave themselves. Provided everyone conducts themselves in a peaceful and courteous manner, we have no issues with them. It's been good talking to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom