Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost in Translation

Truth be told, Alderaanian politics were very simplistic and rarely cutthroat. Yes there were power struggles and alliances, shifting influences, and in the case of the more foolhardy or stupid houses, open assaults. But overall the Royal Family was respected and treated well, though the Houses that sought their support could undermine one another often. Laira was welcome at just about any castle on Alderaan.

"I know you'll make progress, I have faith." The redhead said with a gentle squeeze of Vaena's arm yet again. At the mention of the ears and the explanation about their sensitivity, Laira's grey eyes opened wider. She considered that she had been nibbling and licking Karina's ears, and the thought crossed her mind that she was an Eldorai Ear-Slut, but unknowingly, so that made it better didn't it? Then she remembered Karina hadn't been nearly appreciative enough of her skills. "Oh. Oh, well that does explain why she was suddenly so willing to dance for me." The Princess shrugged, but noted the explanation to tell Dimeria so the Knight could use that to her own advantage. Di wasn't a master masseuse like Laira, but it was still good advice. "Well, honestly Karina is easy on the eyes, and I'm not a nun. I'll admit my only interest in her is that she's very pretty."

A sly grin crossed the princess's face, remember the Eldorai's confusion as the Princess asked about marriages. "But, if you wanted to do me a favor, I'd be grateful. Even take her off your hands occasionally. I certainly wouldn't mind if she were lead to believe that I was considering her for, um, marriage. If she were to act a little nicer and more submissive. And of course if the House was willing to accept such an act." The redhead shrugged, she wasn't great at politics but she could play them some. Mostly to get what she wanted out of an opportunity. "It might also help you with progress if someone like Karina was in support of more tolerant beliefs, and well, if she were to believe that then she'd be up to gain access to considerable riches and a title much higher than her current standing. It might be rather cruel, and I'd understand if you didn't want to deceive her. Just, you know, possibilities."

[member="Vaena Askari"]

[member="Laira Darkhold"]

"I do not wish to my sister hurt," Vaena said firmly. "But she could do with a bit of a lesson. It may help her grow up. She is not a player in my house, but wealthy and could make more of herself if she had some actual drive. So your idea may have...merit. Appealing to her vanity and ego is always the best way to get her to do something she does not want to. Especially if she is given the impression that it was her idea in the first place."

Vaena did not like manipulating people. But having an aversion to it did not mean that she was above it. "Do be mindful though. Massage her ego too much and she may linger. You may find it difficult to detach her. You may be advised to divert her interest to some other Alderaanian noble." The Duchess reached out and gave the Princess' hand a fond squeeze. She was getting the impression that politics were a more civilised affair on Alderaan. Presumably the noble houses still vied for favour at the court, but she figured that less people wound up getting beheaded, poisoned, shot or tortured. "You are welcome at my estates any time. I would relish the chance to show you a bit of Tygara."

Vaena would be mostly correct about Alderaanian Politics. For some reason, the Noble Houses were either vying for favor and influence within the Royal House, using corporate holdings and other acquisitions to gain authority over the economy, or they used open conflict like the One-trick Pony House Thul or the Vamp kids that had moved in recently. For the most part, the houses used wealth and favor on each other, rarely on the Royal House itself.

"Well, I'll keep that in mind. She's hardly nice enough to hold my interests as it is, but I can think of a few others that might be more willing to put up with her personality for her looks." Laira responded, though she was more than willing to play a few games before deflecting interest towards someone like House Alde, or young Duke Aris from Vena.

"Hopefully or machinations will one day bear fruit and our two houses can assimilate properly, but I'm more interested in opening up futures for Di and you than formalizing relationships. I hope the two of you manage with all the," She paused looking around the ship, as she searched for the right words. The redhead knew all too well about forbidden relationships, her mother and father began theirs in secret and didn't reveal their intentions until after Faith was already pregnant. "Well, politics. I'm sure you will persevere, I just worry. If there ever is a wedding to plan, I call dibs on Maid of Honor, just remind Di I look better in blue than black."

Laira turned them so that they were starting to walk back towards the others, though her own stay with the Eldorai Duchess was drawing to an end, she wanted to see her companions once more before leaving. "You two make a cute couple, you'll have to send me pictures from whatever dates you can manage so I can keep up with everything."

[member="Vaena Askari"]

Little did Laira know that Karina was actually a scheming mastermind who concealed her true nature behind a veil of obfuscating stupidity. Laira might profess disinterest, but she would inevitably fall into the elf's trap. Before she knew it, she would be turned into a proper princess and dragged down the aisle. And forget about that hussy Elpsis. Muhahaha.

Alright...probably not!

For her part, Vaena chuckled slightly. She would probably be compelled to get married and have a wedding soon. Just to some Eldorai aristo. She'd been putting it off for quite some time, but her advisers - and her mother - would not cease nagging about it. It would be awkward on all fronts. She felt like inviting Laira nontheless. And making her wear blue. As for vampires, Vaena would probably view them as Illyria's demonspawn and recommend immolation. Especially if they were of the sparkling, sexual predator variety.

"I will make sure to send you appropriate pictures. I thank you again for bringing us together," Vaena said warmly. "I have the impression you and I will be seeing more of each other. I wish you well, Princess. May the Great Goddess light your path."

"Yes, only appropriate pictures please." Laira said with a half smirk and a single giggle escaping her lungs. She was friendly and flirty, but she didn't need to see rater r pictures of her friend if possible.

The Princess was unable to part on words alone. She was a hugger. Laira wrapped her arms around Vaena and pulled her into a tight hug, pressing herself against Vaena and laying her head on the tall Eldoari woman's shoulders. "Take care of yourself, and Di. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of each other." Assuming her busy, busy schedule of avoiding the Palace in New Aldera allowed her to join up with the Eldorai once more.

After a moment, a long hug it was, Laira released the Duchess and was about ready to make her leave.

~

"So, Karina. Princess Organa had some compliments for you when she met back up with us before dinner." Dimeria smiled at the Aristo, considering playing a joke on the Princess by egging Karina onwards, despite the tongue lashing she was likely to receive from the woman in white. "She seemed intrigued, but not exactly enamored. She may take some more work before she becomes enthralled. Too used to having her pick to want to work too hard for affection, and honestly, she prefers the cutesy romantic stuff too much." There, that would have to be the sum of her joking or she'd end up in more trouble with the Order than she could handle at one time.

The Woman in White seemed more or less unphased by the comments. It wasn't all that uncommon for nobles to proposition the Royal Family with marriage contracts for their children, and if it were not for the Organa custom of letting the heirs pick their own spouses Laira would likely already be married to a man from House Panteer.

[member="Vaena Askari"]

Karina preened herself. "It is Lady Karina for you, but due to your helpefulness, I shall look past this oversight," she huffed slightly. She was considerably less casual than her sister. "So she is not enamoured after all the gifts I have bestowed upon her? Perhaps I must humble her." The aristo was wholly lacking in self-reflection. Otherwise she might have realised how absurd the idea of her teaching someone humility was.

"I shall make her mine. I know more of romance than anyone whose attentions she has received. But not make it easy for her, lest she take any affection on my part for granted. Perhaps next time we cross paths, I shall appear in the company of a date and she will see what she is missing." A plan was forming in her head. Whether it was a good one was another question.

xxx

Vaena, being a somewhat reserved person, was a bit taken aback when the Princess suddenly pulled her into a tight embrace. It took her a moment to respond, but then the Duchess returned the hug. Shortly thereafter, the Princess released her and presumably take her leave after saying her goodbyes to Dimeria. "Take care of yourself, Laira,"

"Ah, not a bad plan Lady Karina." Dimeria ensured to add the title this time, though she was used to the formality of court she had not spent time in formal settings for a while. This was likely her first actual event since Laira's identity was revealed to her. "Though, it would have to be someone that's not her type. She has an aversion for the strong, arrogant type. That way when she see's it, she will think you could do better. Its only logical she would land at herself being who you could do better." The ravenhaired knight was trying, at least partially so Laira got her way and had Karina chasing her for a change. Mostly because it would provide a distraction for Karina and keep her from meddling with Dimeria and Vaena.

Laira returned to say her final goodbyes, very quickly giving Dimeria a pat on the shoulder. "Take care hun, if you get lonely let me know." Then she turned and nodded to the stoic Ser Auric with a formal curtsy, and a hug for the woman in white who had yet to identify herself. Finally, she nodded and gave a coy smile to Karina. "It was lovely spending time with you Karina." And with that the princess was ready to take her leave of the crew and ship, to go back to gallivanting through the outer rim, her appetite for politics and getting her way sated for the time being.

Dimeria waited until she left before addressing the Aristocrat once more, "See, not quite enamored." She said as though Laira had restated her point during her farewells, "She may need to know how you feel before she gets away. Leave something for her to think about until next time." The Knight grinned to see what Karina did.

[member="Vaena Askari"]

Karina considered the Knight's words. "Hmm. You may have a point. I shall consider this notion," she said after some thought. Laira showed up and, much to Karina's irritation, said her goodbyes to the soldier first. Then she curtsied to some random peasant, before addressing her. The nerve of that girl!

"Yes, it was...quite nice," Karina said airily, in a tone that did not quite mask her annoyance. Man, this woman was difficult. She turned to face Dimeria when the Princess was gone. "It is beneath me to run after others, pleading for scraps of attention. Next time we cross paths, she will realise what she is missing."

She snapped her fingers and, as if on cue, a pretty maid showed up on the spot, curtsying. "What is your bidding, Mistress?" she asked submissively.

"Attend upon me in my chambers. I desire your company," Karina commanded.

"Yes, Mistress." Presumably the servant was muttering snide comments under her breath, but the aristo paid her no mind as she walked off. Head held high, she strut past Vaena. The Duchess looked from Karina to Dimeria, giving the Force Dead Knight a look that screamed 'more melodrama?'

"Duchess," Dimeria bowed her head to the Eldorai Duchess and watched Karina stalk off with a smirk. "It appears as though the Princess left before Lady Karina was ready for her to is all." Dimeria wore a mischievious grin as she addressed her lover, or duchess, in an attempt to relay that she was just playing with Laira and Karina, making them chase one another was too good for the ravenhaired Knight.

"Yes," the woman in white said with a grin. "I only hope that their antics do not jeopardize our alliance. If it offends My Lady, I can relay orders to cease with the flirting and games with your sister." Under all the cold and icy exterior, even she had to admit it was funny to see the Princess chase Karina only to be unfulfilled after succeeding. It would be amusing to see Karina pursue Laira for a time. "Or, perhaps Lady Karina will get her way and we will have a royal wedding to plan. House Panteer would be heartbroken, the heart wants what the heart wants."

The woman stood and extended her hand, "Dame Upsilon. We are very grateful to have received your hospitality. Ser Auric and I found the quarters made for us quite comfortable and spacious."

[member="Vaena Askari"]

Vaena suppressed a sigh. She was part amused, part a bit...put out. Karina was older than her, but as the young Duchess had learned many times, age was no measure of wisdom. "My lady sister's moods are variable, to say the least," she said diplomatically. Variable seemed to be code for 'they change an awful lot throughout the day'.

"If I let such...antics, as you call them, influence policy I would be unable to maintain a consistent one." She took the profferred hand and shook it. Her grip was firm, but not unduly so. "I am gladdened you felt welcome. It is my hope that future relations will be friendly and beneficial for both sides." Even though all this diplomatic talk could get exhausting!

The woman in white, Dame Upsilon, a very obvious codename if Dimeria ever heard one, motioned for her to take the lead from here on out so that she and Ser Auric could observe her diplomatic skills. At least the ones she was allowed to display in public. "Well Duchess, if we have our way our relations will be very friendly." It was a tongue in cheek comment, but the knight wasn't exactly known for her rigid adherence to protocol or tradition.

She rose from her chair, pushing it in while Dame Upsilon and Ser Auric did likewise, the proud Knight helping the lady with her chair in proper chivalrous tradition. "Is there anything you'd like to show us while my constituents are with us, duchess?" Karina was out of the way, the Princess was either leaving or gone, and the two Knights wouldn't be far behind her. It might have been selfish of Dimeria, but she was looking forward to being left to her own devices, even if the days experiences left her a little tired and a little drained. She certainly wouldn't mind getting a nap in before she had to put on the mask again. If she managed to cuddle during that nap she wouldn't be all that upset about getting a little less sleep.

As for her companions, the woman in white and Ser Auric remained at a polite distance from the Force-Dead Knight and the Duchess. Dimeria felt better than she had in some time, she had someone to look forward to seeing at the end of every day. She had a little more than just a faceless legacy, someone to miss her when she was gone and to hold her memory when the void claimed her. Hopefully Vaena felt similarly and didn't think the otherwise strong and independent Knight was too clingy. "Perhaps some hidden assets you've yet to show off?"

[member="Vaena Askari"]

"Hidden assets?" Vaena mulled over those two words for a moment. "There is my chapel. Well, it is more like a prayer room, space being the way it is on the ship. But it would be my pleasure to show it to you. There is no greater asset than Her." Perhaps Dimeria had meant it as innuendo. If yes, it was unclear whether Vaena had realised that or not. Her expression was earnest though. Either way, it ought to give them a good excuse to have them privacy. After all, one did not intrude on a Duchess when she was communing with the Great Goddess.

"Ah yes, we have very little records pertaining to Eldorai religion. Perhaps the Duchess wouldn't mind if we took a copy of religious texts back to Alderaan with us." The woman said with a smile. Studying obscure texts and notes were her forte after all. "Perhaps Dame Nykerian could spend that time reading over the notes I supplied her with while you worship."

Dimeria was suddenly reminded of the leatherbound book in her coat pocket. She hadn't bothered to inspect it yet, and so she produced the object so that Vaena could see. The book was written in blackish ink, transcribed in the Yuuzhan Vong language with additional pages written in Galactic Basic added in later. "Its a Heretic shaper manual recovered from a facility where the Legion was experimenting. After studying it, we found some interesting passages you may find interesting."

Dimeria nodded and held the book so that Vaena could see it, it wasn't extraordinary, clearly not bound in human skin and written in blood, but it was an odd thing. Part Yuuzhan Vong heresy, part Sith manuscript, part scientific research document. "I'll be sure to study it in my free time, Dame Upsilon. However I am keen to partake in worshipping the Goddess alongside the Duchess. It would be rude not to adhere to her religious customs while acting as an ambassador." The ravenhaired knight grinned at Vaena, "Lead the way, your grace."

[member="Vaena Askari"]

The Duchess took a moment to look at the journal. It was less creepy looking than one might expect. No human skin or blood! "You are a most welcome to join me, Dame Dimeria. It warms my hear that you wish to," Vaena said softly, then she glanced towards a nearby servant. Unlike Karina, she did not snap her fingers. "Azra," she spoke gently, "do so be kind to supply our guest with a copy of Ashira's holy word. There should be a spare one in my chamber."

"As you wish, Your Grace," the servant girl said demurely, bowing her head slightly. Dimeria and the Woman in White might notice that the young elf had a noticeably darker complexion than her liege. Whereas Vaena's skin was fair, as was the norm among Eldorai, the maiden had a darker, bronze skine tone. They had the same pointed ears though.

Vaena gave the Woman in White a nod. "By your leave. It was a pleasure meeting you." Pleasantries exchanged, she led Dimeria to the small chapel. It was not a long walk. As a matter of fact, the place of worship was located quite close to her bedroom. She typed in a code on the security keypad on the wall, then the door slid open, revealing a small room. The floor was covered by a carpet. Murals on the walls depicted deities, angels and daemons. One showed fiery, triumphant Ashira triumphing over evil and casting horrible abominations down, another showed a more benign, gentle Goddess gazing down serenely upon her children as she taught them to harness fire, read and write. Another showed how Ashira had been struck done by Illyria, only to rise again like a radiant phoenix. There was also a small basin that probably served the purpose of ritual purification. The scent of incense was in the air.

Before she crossed the threshold, Vaena took off her boots and put them to the side. Dimerial would probably appreciate the view of the Eldorai bending down. In any case, the door would close behind them once they'd entered. "Eldorai have many deities, but Ashira reigns supreme over all. Once, many aeons ago, She walked the earth, but those days are long since past. We say our prayers to Her in Eldarai because that is the language She taught us. But I can say it in Basic so that you can follow."

Dimeria did indeed enjoy the view and stood back to admire it, waiting behind Vaena until the Eldorai stood back up before removing her own heavy boots, unbuckling the guard plates and then loosening the laces so she could slip them off and leave them beside the Duchess's own shoes. She smoothed out her red and gold robes as she steadied herself and took her place beside Vaena.

"On Alderaan there are some who worship the Goddess of Creation, though its a minority." Some of the Royalty were religious, though only some. Most accepted the Force in place of deities, though some considered the Force a deity. Dimeria was largely atheist or agnostic, depending on who defined her or who labeled her. "Thank you for the consideration, but you can say them in Eldarai. I'll need to start learning it somewhere, might as well hear it now. Then later you can help me find a suitable tutor you approve of, with the right teaching utensils." The darkhaired knight pulled herself alongside the Eldorai, cuddling up beside the woman. She wasn't making any moves, that might be disrespectful of the Goddess Ashira's image, but she was certainly getting comfortable and familiar.

~

Outside the woman in white was already making herself comfortable in a chair while she and Ser Auric waited. "Why did you tell the Duchess about the book."

"Why not? Dimeria was never going to keep it secret, though its probably considered quite the heretical document by their religious standards." The woman shrugged her shoulders, producing her own small novel back from the folds of her dress as she opened it to resume reading where she had left off. "Besides, I wanted to see the Duchess's reaction to it. She wasn't appalled or shocked, so she seems open minded."

"Seems underhanded is all."

"Politics is rarely an occupation for the straight forward and honorable. Its why the Prince-Consort doesn't partake in it unless forced to. Its why Princess Laira avoids it, too. Though it should be amusing to watch Lady Karina and Princess Laira from here forward."

[member="Vaena Askari"]

In the old days, the Eldorai Church had preached that all non-Eldorai were demonic abomations. They had modified their stance. At least the official Church had. Vong, Vampires and similar vile creatures were still regarded as demonic and in need of purging. Especially Vampires. "We accept the existence of other higher beings. We just do not revere them. Humans have deities of their own who presumably brought them into being," Vaena commented. It was a lot easier for a pious Eldorai to accept than atheism!

She gave Dimeria a nod. "Alright. Take a look at the images first," she pointed to one of them. "Here, Ashira fashions the first Eldorai from clay and breathes life into her. Here, she teaches my people to harness fire, to read and write, to separate good from evil. Here, her daughter Illyria, consumed by envy, stabs the Great Goddess, but is cast down into the hellish pit along with her abominations. And Ashira rises again, ascending to heaven after leaving her holy tome with her prophetess," there was a glint in Vaena's eyes. The fervent look of someone who truly believed, as opposed to just going through the motion.

Having shown Dimeria around the gallery, she kowtowed before a grand statue of the Goddess. In fact, she prostrated herself so lowly her head touched the carpet. When she spoke, her voice was soft and melodic. The Eldorai language was a bit difficult for humans to learn because there were so many subtle variations and tones in the words. Still, she spoke slowly, so that it would be easier to Dimeria to follow. Translated into Basic, it would sound like this:

"Great Mother of Heaven, look down on me.
Great Mother of Heaven, preserve me.
High Goddess, grant me your favour.
High Goddess, show me your mercy and grace.
Revered Lady, take me and lead us to salvation.
Revered Lady, allow me to imitate your virtues.
Holy Ashira, preserve me from evil and sin.
Holy Ashira, shield those I care about.
Great Goddess, cast your light upon our lost brethren who suffer in darkness.
Great Goddess, who was born from out of the sun, the moon and the stars, who breathed life into my foremothers, in your name I worship. For you are the Merciful and the Just."

Dimeria followed along the iconography of the Eldorai faith, exaimining the artwork and listening to the short story about how their deities came to be. The ravenhaired knight could understand why the Eldorai viewed her as a demon, for her origin story was set in a hellish pit, much like the one Illyria came to inhabit and create demons and monsters within. Having escaped that, it did not change the fact that she had indeed been molded by her time in hell.

Once the introduction was complete, Vaena knelt and bowed very low to the ground. She was a true believer, which was the one odd thing about the duchess that Dimeria didn't understand. How could someone so intelligent believe in something such as that. Or, perhaps Ashira and Illyria were Force Entities, they would not be the first that were considered gods by primitive beings they encountered. It was a miracle their religion had survived so long among the Eldorai.

Dimiera made herself comfortable beside the duchess, kneeling down, but only bowing her head as Vaena spoke. She paid attention to the words, but did not yet know their meaning. It would take time to learn by exposure, but the knight would manage. Through hell or high water.

"Hrar’azz boa'u nekhem sen ichnar." She whispered under her breath. It was as close to a prayer as the Order of the Flame had. Hell cannot claim the bold. For her it was akin to saying Amen at the end of a prayer, guttural and hoarse as it was.

[member="Vaena Askari"]

If Kaida were here, she would have a few choice words to say. Most likely she would have chastisted Vaena for being so naive. The last time they'd spoken had not gone well. It had been on the day Vaena bid farewell to her Angelii battle sisters. Kaida had called her a traitor.

Slowly, Vaena got to her feet. "Though Ashira no longer dwells among us, some higher beings created by Her still walk the earth. We call them the Paragons, the embodiments of virtues. Though not wholly divine, they carry some of Her divine essence inside their Sciia and share Her immortality. Two of them became goddesses to our Tygaran cousins." Another had found fulfillment by lording over no one and becoming a high-class hooker. The fourth had slept through the last twenty-five millennia and was probably a good fit for the warrior archetype. One wondered how things would go if the Duchess ever ran into [member="Eyrecae Alzari"]

"Tylania the Priestess is the guide of the Vashyada, a peaceful race of wood elves. Mystra brought shame upon the pantheon by becoming a tyrant and leading the Xioquo into darkness and misery. Entombed for many millennia in a pit beneath the earth, she was awoken through dark magicks when our forces and those of Firemane stormed their lair. Subsequently, she feasted on friend and foe alike, before she was slain. I was among the band of Angelii that helped the Lady Kerrigan put an end to her," she sighed slightly. "Ashira does not err, but we, Her children, are fallible. Even those in whom Her light glows the strongest."

She gave Dimeria's shoulder a fond squeeze and planted a chaste kiss on the shaved portion of her head. "I...do not expect you to believe in Her. It is not something I would press on you. But thank you for sharing this moment with me. We have a few hours ere we reach Tygara." Presumably there'd be a time skip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom