Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking For: Quotes on Ethics and Morals of the Jedi

Kylie Talor

K
Crowdsourcing my next project to counter a treatise titled ; Principles and Ethics of the Dark Side, edited by Velok of Toola

Looking for Jedi Masters or Knights to weigh in with their opinions.

Popular Questions are:

• What is a Jedis Role if any these days?
  • Interpretations of the Jedi Code in a nutshell
  • What are the ethics and morals a Jedi should possess and use?
  • Any other Jediish fluff ya wanna throw in.

Answer IC would greatly be appreciated!

I will be fair on this, I am no Jedi Master and never wished to at any point, become one. I always been more Sith Code at heart and always viewed the Jedi Code as flawed, their ideals flawed, and everything about them having mistaken values. Their existence is needed but at the same time, it is their ways that caused many of the problems of the Jedi Civil War among other things.

I will mention this however: Jedi have always seemed to run head first into danger, a trait that has been shown in the movies constantly and even in roleplays I have seen. Their are always portrayed as the "Protectors of the Galaxy" which in reality, they are more of the Enforcement. Look at the Jedi Council at several times in its history, it has several times over refused to participate in wars and open conflicts, all because it would slowly get worse with them involved. The younger Jedi fail to see this so often and so, that is probably my piece of advice.

A Jedi should have the morals to see the good in the Galaxy but as well as the consequences each one of their actions will partake onto the other. There is no other good way to explain it other than this. This is a video from KOTOR II, Kreia discussing on the Begger. Listen to both of the Light and Dark, you will see there is a unique pattern. The more good you do to someone who has not earned your help, the worse it can become. The more cruel you are to others, the worse its effects echos throughout everyone.

Forgive me, I still do not know how to post videos yet.​

Every action taken, has a consequence. Be it in favor of an agenda or an ideal, or against it. Hindering what progress has been done. For years, many Jedi have often attempted to out-shine the Sith in its various forms. And so too, have the Sith attempted to corrupt with deep wounds upon the foundation of the Jedi. Others, hang in the balance. Choosing rather not the idea that the Light, and the dark are superior, but rather two sides of the same coin. Many have attributed it to how a flame cannot cast a shadow, if it could not create light. Nor could could the flame create light, within a brightened room.

The Jedi came from orders long ago where the mystical powers, abilities and forethought was handed down to them. The earliest texts show the Jedi and Sith were once whole. One singular cohesive group that studied not just one aspect of the force, but all aspects of the force, given their knowledge of it. However, the fracture of the war beginning by the simplest of fears, and emotions, sparked not just a group of people into action, but an entire galaxy. These people oh so long ago, wished to not be limited by finding balance, but rather to explore the Brightest of Lights, as well as the Darkest of Depths. This schism created not only the two philosophies we know today as the Jedi and Sith Codes, they created the Green Jedi, The Dark Brotherhood, The Army of Light, The Rule of Two, The Jedi Order, The Sith Empire, The Galactic Republic, and the Galactic Empires. All of these organizations can be attributed to not only the rise and fall of the Force with its uses, but can be linked back to individual decisions made in the heat of the moment.

What we fail to learn, will surely repeat itself. Multiple times orders have arisen new. Empires, Dominions, Republics, Confederacies, and even Cartels have found their way scrounging back to the top. Attempting to gather power, control, dominance, or even repressive powers over others. The Jedi seek to control those who have the Darkness. Limiting them from falling to a depth they fear. The Sith seek to give their ideals of freeing ones self from their chains, yet only to find themselves having another set placed upon them. Concepts of good and evil roam the galaxy and are interpreted in variations that even I would never expect. Balance, Darkness, Light, and everything in between all came from decisions made by those who crusaded for their doctrine.

I find many of the orders in recent times, have slowly began to meld their ideals together. Jedi who are more willing to get their hands dirty, and Sith who are pushing for a united Empire. While I do speak of them in equal terms, I will note that I am biased towards the Light. Having learned, trained, and fostered by the Jedi and their ways. However, my own conclusions have brought me to depths I would rather not shine a light upon. Yet, I must accept these consequences for what they are.

There are no mistakes in this galaxy. While one can fail at a task, while another would succeeded, Mistakes tend to happen for a reason. Many attribute the force as not an energy, but a living entity that wills for the galaxy to constantly be at war with itself. The Jedi and Sith creating war machines, abominations of the flesh, Tools for murder, and even studying the ideals in which one could more easily trip up a foe, or more easily prematurely end one's life. However, I implore you to not look to them for answers. Do not seek out answers only from those within the conflict, or within the air if bias. But those who are from with-out. Seek the farmer upon a secluded world. Search for the child starving in the streets. Seek the woman selling herself for credits. Question the young man giving up his childhood to care for the ones he loves. Do they care of the war? Do they care of the Force Users and their various traditions? Do they see something that we, even I do not?

For one to truly understand the force, one must not study from only the Jedi, or only the Sith. No, you should not study from multiple doctrines upon which death is inevitable. Seek the hearts and minds from which who have no say in the topic at all. Look not to the stars, but search beneath the rocks at your feet. Seek not your dreams of grandeur, but work for your passion.

Of all the lessons I could teach, of all the abilities I could give, would simply be one.

Understanding.

[member="Kylie Talor"],

OOC: Here are Kian's 2 cents (doubtful they are worth that much!).

Kian Karr sat down in front of the recorder and raised a hand to his anti-ox mask, stroking the spikes on the mask as if they were a beard and contemplated the series of questions on the screen before him. Kian had made entries in holocrons before and had even created one himself....but he had gotten to pick what to put in those and the questions before him were deeply philosophical. Hoping to do them justice, he cleared his throat and began.

"I am Jedi Master Kian Karr," He began, his voice deep and clear, though muffled slightly from the mask he wore. "Today I've been asked to contribute my thoughts on a number of questions pertaining to the Jedi Order. I will attempt to do so as succinctly as possible."

"What role do the Jedi serve these days? Is the first question to consider and a hefty question to start with." Kian said chuckling to himself. "I suppose I would argue that the ultimate role of the Jedi has always been the same, though different orders at different times may have diverged from that goal. Ultimately, those with the ability to touch the force, to use the force are rare but powerful. Raw power such as that is problematic to begin with, given the imbalance it can give to individuals in society....but couple that raw power with the fact that we are all biological beings, influenced by emotions and desires...and force users have the potential to be truly terrifying." Kian said sighing and thinking back over his years as a Shadow, tasked with hunting down darkside users. "For me, the heart of what it is to be a Jedi, is to harness the power given to us for good and to ensure that we are not driven by our nature. How specific Jedi Orders have sought to balance the power we possess with our nature may vary, but in the end, they have often implemented their policies or traditions as a way of balancing our power and nature. Force users have the potential to hold power over other beings, the duty of the Jedi is to ensure we do not."

"What morals and ethics should a Jedi possess and use? That is difficult to say." Kian said taking a moment to collect his thoughts. "I have had the privilege of working alongside Jedi from across the galaxy and none of them were alike, each bore unique characteristics and qualities that made them the Jedi they were. We are certainly not a homogeneous group. What I can say is that the qualities that all of those Jedi shared were a desire to do good for those around them. But it isn't enough to simply want to do good, you must also possess the ability for introspection, the ability to see whether or not, in your desire to do good, you are curtailing the freedom of those you wish to protect. Therefore, perhaps awareness of those around you and empathy will take you a long way as a Jedi."

"Finally," Kian said, deciding it was time to wrap it up, "Perhaps the greatest strength a Jedi can possess is the strength to challenge your own assumptions and to listen." Kian said, emphasizing the last word. "Listen to the force when it guides you as it will often lead you down the right path when your senses will not. We all carry preconceived notions and biases after all. Listen to those with experience who have walked the path before because there is no substitute for experience. And last, but most important, listen to those you wish to help and those who claim to fight for and do not ignore their experiences because they do not conform with your own." Kian said finally, not entirely sure he'd said anything of value, but resolved to record it none-the-less.

Jegy had been sitting in a cantina, looking outward at a nearby server as a tip was given as he merely pointed at it.

"See that? See that generous act of kindness? Do you think that it is earned? You know how conflict usually occurs to everyone? It is because of want and need. A Jedi would feel obligated to tip someone for a great meal, to give a meal to a beggar but what if that person in particular caused a ripple effect to everyone else. Look at the credits that was on that tip...what do you think will happen the next time he is in here? He probably be seated, have priority with the waiters but they may fight for his tips. Imagine the opposite effect, one that would see him stiff the waiter with no money and leaving an awful reaction in the cantina. The waiter would become furious, the others would talk behind his back and possibly make others miserable for the next day or longer, fueling his hatred for his job. What I am saying is this, each person here can cause a ripple effect."

"To put a larger example, every time a fight, a conflict, a war starts, the question is that if a Jedi should be involved. For you see, the younger Jedi always will say yes, it is their moral duty, it is the highest regard to protect the innocent from warfare and death. On the other hand, the older Jedi will generally say no, the conflict can escalate even further, going out of control to where genocide and full scorched planet warfare can occur. That is the main problem with most people that look at the Jedi, they do not understand that every action they take can cause a ripple effect that occurs with every other person and because of it, the younger Jedi are always the ones that first die in conflict, because they did not think of what would happen afterwards."

"So to answer what an ethnic or moral that a Jedi should possess, it is not courage that is required but actual common sense and the need to know when not to get involved. Wars can end quickly without their need, but can easily escalate with them. Know when to pick your battles for if you draw your lightsaber at any point, you already lost the way of Peace and are ready for War."

Jegy Sesara would lean back, seeing a bottle of Tihaar before him as he popped it open with his thumb, as if having done this for many years and drink straight from the bottle, looking over towards a duo of rough looking characters pushing a citizen around as someone spoke up as a hand was swung, groups getting up from their chairs to pick sides as fighting started to occur near the center but Jegy, having seated far away from it, merely nodded upon what has happened.

"If any other piece of advice...a person is smart, people are stupid."

[member="Kylie Talor"]

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Kylie Talor said:
my next project to counter a treatise
Compliment. One does not "counter" excellence. :p

Kylie Talor said:
What is a Jedis Role if any these days?
"A Jedi's role following the Great Darkness was to rediscover the answer to that very question. We, with special talents, are agents unto ourselves. Therefore, what must we do? And the answer that The Jedi Order of The Galactic Republic came to was simple. Rebuild." - Karen Roberts

Kylie Talor said:
Interpretations of the Jedi Code in a nutshell
"The Force possesses both light and dark tendencies. The Jedi Code was an early attempt to express this natural duality and to garden within every galactic magi the qualities of the light. The Code, like the Jedi, was neither omnipotent nor all-encompassing. It was however, a very good place to start." - Karen Roberts

Kylie Talor said:
What are the ethics and morals a Jedi should possess and use?
"A Jedi should choose the wisest path they can, while moving forward through time. Embodying and practicing the greatest moral and ethical lifestyle they can presently create. I say "presently" because one must balance between past, present, and future. Moderate imagination with finite resources. And yes. Even understanding that the Jedi, like all life, is an evolution and a process. Never a destination." - Karen Roberts

Kylie Talor said:
Any other Jediish fluff ya wanna throw in.
"There are only two destinies for any sentient organism that I know of. Force Sensitive or otherwise. These are, to choose the light and exalt oneself through wise thoughts, wise words, and wise actions. Even forever. Even unto the Force. Or, to choose darkness, which is entropy. Eventually surrendering all action and all hope of the mind. Leaving the spirit to lament for it's own sins. For all eternity. Awaiting an end that never comes. In Jedi spirits I find the greatest joy of these truths. In Sith spirits, it's lamentation." - Karen Roberts

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom