Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Long Shifts

"But uh… I hope it all works out for you."

Alicio nodded, flashing a smile, even as his eyes went overcast. "Thanks. I hope so, too."

He listened intently to Amani's explanation, staring over to where he could spy the drop-off bins. "Never put off for tomorrow what you can do today," he agreed sagely. Two packs under each arm, the nobleman trekked to the nearest receptacle, where he deposited two, listening all the way to the fumbling words of the medic.

"I'm not sure when you'll realize this, Amani, but I want to be here. I want to help. Anything I can do to be of service." Alicio paused a moment in the cool Tython night, hugging his arms close to his chest.

"If you have to, think of it as... an apology. For all the extra work."

- Amani Serys Amani Serys -

With their course set, Amani joined the Count in allocating their remaining resources throughout the camp. She didn't doubt that Alicio was genuine in his efforts, but it nonetheless took him a bit of effort to really hammer the certainty into her head. “Forgive my cynicism. I’m just not used to higher ups having your level of… commitment,” She smiled, ''But I’m glad to be proven wrong for once.”

Amani stopped at the next bin, doing a bit of mental math to figure out how many they had left, and how to split them evenly. Her tone then became a little more stern, as she felt compelled to correct Alicio’s previous choice of words, “I don’t see this as ‘work’. I don’t do this because it's a lucrative nine-to-five. Hell, I barely make enough to get by. But I have these gifts; It’s my responsibility to help.” Clearly it was a sentiment that weighed heavily on her heart. One which the Count seemed to at least in part share. Each patient, each person in need, was a chance to inject some good where there would otherwise be pain or grief.

She dropped in a few more patches, then glanced back at him again, her features warming once more, “Tell me about this Sanctuary City of yours.”

Last edited:

“I don’t see this as ‘work’. I don’t do this because it's a lucrative nine-to-five. Hell, I barely make enough to get by. But I have these gifts; It’s my responsibility to help.”

"...I understand."

For the first time since meeting Amani, he was rendered entirely speechless. Alicio kept his eyes pointedly away from the Mirialan, down at the parcel he was toting. But he was smiling. Because he did understand. So very deeply.

"Sanctuary City..." he took a moment to compose his thoughts. "Well, I approached my cousin Faith about a job. I was just finishing up my diplomacy degree, and I was inspired by her, and all of Alderaan. I wanted to... create some positive change, I guess."

"Through the power of nepotism,"
he smirked, "I was named Crown Liason to Sanctuary. It was still under a lot of construction, but I... I helped where I could." Alicio stepped off into his own little world, his voice becoming more animated as he carried a box to another drop-off.

"Well, it's on the sea, so the smell of salt is always on the air. There are these bubble gardens we commissioned that simulate worlds across the galaxy, to give people a taste of home. Oh, and at night, staring out over the water, you can just barely hear thranta calls in the distance."

"The festivals, when everyone comes together to celebrate... refugees from across the galaxy, lighting lanterns and sharing meals, music playing from every street corner. That feeling, of safety, of togetherness, no matter where we came from, or who we are."
Alicio sighed, focusing on Amani again.

"I want to give that to as many people as I can. That's my responsibility."

It was her turn to fall speechless; As Alicio became more entranced by his own speech, so too did Amani. Not only was his sincerity charmingly admirable, but the concept of the Sanctuary City itself was one Amani had been rather fond of. More than that, it was a pipe dream of her own. Right down to the bubble garden idea, in fact, “That sounds… beautiful.”

“Alicio, I…”
She had to shake the starstruck twinkle out of her eyes, “I’ve dreamt of a place like that for years. I just… well I never had the resources to fulfill it. I can’t believe I’m just now hearing about it!” She seemed to grow more excited with each word, touching the Count’s sleeve as if needed to keep herself from falling over. It was quite literally one of her biggest aspirations, and one she’d clearly given a great deal of thought.

“You have to let me-” Amani laughed at herself, then took a second to recompose from her overeager fantasy and address him a little more properly, “...Ahem, I’d really like to see it some time. If that’s possible.” Her eyes cast downward, a little embarrassed by her sudden fervor.

“That sounds… beautiful.”

Alicio hummed appreciatively at the healer. He thought so, too.

As Amani grew more excited at the prospect, so did he. It was a continuous loop, as they fed on each other's enthusiasm. He'd met plenty of people with a passion to help. But this felt different. She cared, so strongly.

She pulled on his sleeve, and Alicio turned his chin down. They were standing close. He would be lying if he said his heart didn't beat just a little faster at that realization. "Well, don't blame yourself," he muttered with a grin. "It's only been complete for a few months, really."

"You've more than earned an invitation."
Alicio looked up, towards the singular moon, which was just beginning to find a prominent place in the sky. "We're making a holographic garden for Tython soon. You can be one of the first to see it."

"If you want to, of course."

Amani let go, a faint blush forming at her cheeks after realizing she'd lingered so closely. Her gaze then followed his up to the moon: Bogan, now drifting alone in the midnight sky, spare whatever tears of Ashla remained. She looked away, swallowing the mournful feelings the sight had reminded her of.

Tython's people had hope. The planet, though scarred, still remained. And through the efforts of people like Alicio, they would have a place to go no matter what. The thought kept her smiling in spite of the grief, "I'd love to," She murmured.

The healer walked past and over to the final tent, dumping her remaining patches into the bin with a sense of finality. She then spun around on her heels, lighter, as if a weight had been lifted off of her. "Mark one less chore off the to-do list." The distribution was taken care of, but it was obviously more than that. Their little chat had been a welcome reprieve from the chaos of the last few days. "We could probably both use a little rest now. Thank you for the help, administrator, you're free to go..."

Amani chuckled awkwardly, then rubbed at the nape of her neck. After a beat she spoke again, "Unless you care to, um… walk me back to my tent, first? I-it's not far."

Even as Amani looked down and away from the absence of the moon, Alicio stared at where it should have been, now an empty sort of blackness, punctured by starlight. For all the good he could do, that was one glaring sore spot that would never be healed. A reminder of what was lost, and what could never be again.

Alicio hid his hands at his sides, his arms becoming obscured by the cloak. It was a good thing, then, that he didn't help planets, but people. And the people of Tython still lived.

The Count looked down once more, watching curiously as the woman deposited the last of the shipment, stepping lighter than before. Alicio felt a blossom of warmth in his chest. He was glad to help the Mirialan push some of her worries to the side. At least, for the evening.

As Amani talked about rest, Alicio looked across rows of tents in thought. "Alright," he said, a bit hesitantly, wondering where else he could help around camp after this. He doubted the food kitchens were still open, but maybe they needed dishes washed...

"Unless you care to, um… walk me back to my tent, first? I-it's not far."

Alicio blinked. Then, the corner of his mouth ticked up. "Sure. It would be my pleasure." He gestured a hand grandly in front of him. "Lead the way."

As the two of them would begin to walk, Alicio pulled his cape tighter around him, a somber figure in the night. Most of the refugees had already settled inside their shelters at this point, giving the pair an illusion of privacy, despite the admittedly thin tent walls. "So, after we relocate all of these folks... what's next for you, Amani?" The Count folded his hands behind his back, attempting not to seem like he was prying. "What grand plans do you have for the future?"

Amani opened her mouth to respond, only to find she had no answer in mind.Grand plans?” She huffed, “I… don’t know. For a long time I’ve just been drifting from one job to the next. But after all this, I guess I’ve had a bit of a wake-up call. Finally. It sounds so selfish…” The mirialan rubbed her shoulder. She had been plenty reactive, working at refugee camps and medical outreaches; But only after her homeworld was attacked did she decide to look towards more proactive measures. Distaste for her own timing was the kind of self-criticism that was going to take a little to get over.

“But in any case, I think I’m going to try and work with the NJO. Help them recuperate and refocus their efforts. However much I can, anyway.” Their organization was familiar to her, even if she had not been a proper Jedi for years. But it would be an easy enough integration, and she’d have the backing she needed to take part. Besides, their numbers were relatively light as is, and the devastation at the latest battle didn’t exactly help.

“Tython wasn’t the end of it. The Maw may have lost, but they’ll be back. If we can stop this from happening again, it’ll be worth it. And if we can’t…” Amani sighed at the thought, “...Then I’ll still be there to pick up the pieces.” Being a healer was more her calling than being a Jedi was. But it always meant that something bad had to happen first. The job was, inherently, reactive.

“And you, Alicio?” Her gaze turned back to him. There was a twinge of uncertainty, as Amani realized she had yet to even learn what his official title of address was. It felt a bit unprofessional, but also, how are you supposed to even ask something like that this far into a conversation? She let the overthought concern drop; If he was adamant about being referred to as Baron, Lord, Your Excellency, whatever, he probably would have something by now, right? Frankly the lack of correction only made him more interesting. “Surely a guy like you has a busy schedule ahead of him?”

Alicio was an attentive confidant.

It was the way he hung on each word. It was the way he felt no need to fill the silences, letting Amani think. Most tellingly, it was the way his expression changed when he was obviously pondering something she said, tumbling each thought around behind his river-stone eyes.

Of course, he expected the question to be flipped back at him, but he still hadn't entirely formulated his own response. He considered saying something vague and heroic, but quickly banished the notion. No, at least for tonight, he could be entirely honest with himself. "Sanctuary City is slowing down construction. It's nearly completely finished, which means... they won't need me anymore." There was some part of him, a part he didn't like showcasing, that liked being needed. Needed to be needed. "I know, I should be happy. The people are thriving, but... it's difficult, letting something like that go."

He smiled sardonically. "How's that for selfish, huh?"

He continued quickly from that line of thought. "So I've been looking for something else. Somewhere that might need a hand. I haven't found it yet, but I bet I will soon."

"I've worked with the New Jedi Order before. Master Valery Noble and her padawan helped me organize this camp, and with my own training. They're good people, and would be lucky to have you assisting them."
Alicio smiled, less severe than before. "I considered being a Jedi once. But it's not for me, I don't think."

Last edited:
Amani tutted, ready to rectify his claim almost as soon as he’d finished making it. She stepped in front of the Count’s path to stop him, “You’ve given countless people a second chance. Somewhere they can feel safe when they have nowhere else to go. ‘Selfish’ doesn’t factor into the equation,” She laid a hand against his shoulder to emphasize the point, “Don’t think of it as letting go. It won’t be the last time they need you.”

After a few seconds of staredown, confident her point was made, the healer returned to his side and continued walking, “In any case, it’s a big galaxy. If the last three years have taught me anything, it’s that there’s always somebody to help.”

The mention of Iris Arani Iris Arani and Valery Noble Valery Noble brought a distinct glow to Amani’s features, “They are. Iris and Master Noble are both friends of mine. I have a great deal of respect for them.” She supposed Valery may very well have multiple apprentices, but it wasn’t really a hard guess as to which one helped with this particular order.

“For a long time, being a Jedi was my dream. My parents would tell me all kinds of stories about them. I got to live it, but… it’s not all perfect.” The sparkle in her eyes seemed to fade over the course of the story. A certain wistfulness took over; A nostalgic yet sober view on her past, “Don’t get me wrong, some of my best years were spent with friends I made among the Silvers. But after I left, I realized that my experiences were very… sheltered.”

“There’s a lot of things I might not have been able to do, places I might not have gone… people I might not have met…”
She smiled at him, “If I kept myself cooped up in that temple."

Alicio halted in his tracks as Amani's path intersected his. At first, he had a bit of difficulty meeting her gaze, glancing down and to the side. He was hard on himself. It was something the noble had struggled with all his life. It wasn't the sort of thing he could fix in a night. He wasn't even sure how to start.

But as he felt a hand pressed against his shoulder, he found the courage to look at his new friend, searching her eyes for answers, conflict battling behind his own. After a moment of quiet, he nodded timidly. "Alright."

Then, a quiet "Thanks."

As they continued their walk, and after a brief moment of marveling at just how small the galaxy was, Amani began talking about her experiences with the Jedi. The Count noticed the shift in her face, the tempered hues of good memories given perspective by the passing of time, and listened intently.

“There’s a lot of things I might not have been able to do, places I might not have gone… people I might not have met… If I kept myself cooped up in that temple."

Alicio stared straight ahead, his voice soft, but sure. "I am glad to have met you, Amani. And... For the record, if someone were to dedicate the first part of their life to the Jedi, become a healer, and risk everything for the safety of their home planet, I don't think they have the right to call themselves selfish, either." He shot her a good-natured smile.

"We may just have to deal with the fact that we both might be, however slim the chances, decent people."

Last edited:
"You're welcome," She smiled, her tone now much more demure, in contrast to the stern display she had just projected. Her focus caught onto something else shortly after, "Here it is," She gestured towards a small, indistinct tent among a row of others, all set up as sleeping quarters for camp personnel.

"...Thanks," The conversation mirrored, as Alicio's assurances gave Amani her own little peace of mind. They were both their own worst critics, striving for a perfection that was unattainable. Thankfully, they both held much more realistic opinions on others, and could at least prop one another up. It certainly saved the conversation from becoming one big moping session, if nothing else.

Amani laughed quietly at the Count's observation, "Maybe we'll figure it out one of these days," By then they had reached their destination. She stopped in front of her tent, and sighed. Around them there was little sound beyond the gentle rustling of breeze against the grass, and the faint chorus of nocturnal insects.

"Thanks for the chat. You have no idea how much I needed one." Or maybe he did, if the similarity in their perspectives was any indication, "There's not a lot of people I feel like I can just… talk to about this stuff." It wasn't any sort of ill-doing on her friends' parts. But true confidants were in short supply, and not always around to lean on these days. Sometimes a person you just met is the best opportunity to vent. In this case it was, anyway.

Amani stepped up and began straightening the front of the Count's jacket, "Decent people, right?" She repeated his words. There was then a pause, and she simply gazed up at him; A flicker of hesitation, or more accurately, a mustering of courage. She then pulled in and gave Alicio a peck on the cheek, "Just make sure you remember that part, while you're out there playing politician…"

She turned back to the tent, offering a final parting glance as she opened the flap, "Good night Alicio." And with that, the mirialan retreated inside.

Last edited:

"...Thanks."

"...Your welcome."

Halting in front of Amani's tent, Alicio smiled, both in response to her laugh, and at the realization of just how similar they were. So driven to be of assistance, to comfort, to support, yet so hesitant to accept any in return. Eager to help, loathe to be helped.

"I, um... I needed one, too," he said, all of his tired nights and stressed mornings weighing on his words. "I'm always happy to lend an ear, if you'll lend one in return." He had few people he trusted with his issues. They were a burden he would rather carry alone than bother others with.

But he'd shared at least a few today. And his shoulders did feel a bit lighter.

As she grew close again, messing with his coat, the Count tried to ignore the sudden quickening of his pulse, the tension lingering in the air, the realization that Amani's eyes were strikingly blue. It was all in vain, of course, when the Mirialan kissed his cheek, a fleeting warmth that spread through his face, leaving behind a rosy pink blush.

"Good night," he returned, watching as Amani disappeared into her tent. After a moment of thought, Alicio continued into the night, listening to a chorus of rustling and chirping things, and tracing a hand along his cheek with a growing dumb smile.

He swore he heard music in the air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom