Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Long Shifts

TEMPORARY REFUGEE CAMP, TYTHON
EVENING

AFTER THE ATTACK

Collateral- Gustavo Santaolalla
There was a sorrow in the camp that couldn't be denied.

Despair was seen on the faces of the refugees, who bore bundled clothes, downturned eyes, and slumped shoulders. When the Maw invaded the ancient Jedi homeworld, these people had lost their homes, their lives, their families, their everything. They suffered the worst of it, yet survived long enough for help to come. They were promised safety. Shelter. Hope. They hadn't expected it all to happen again.

The camp had picked up and relocated after the incident. The dedicated volunteers and workers of the Alliance cleared a wide section of open grassland, far away from the battle lines drawn only weeks ago, re-pitching lines of clean white tents, tarps, food kitchens, and landing pads. Medical personnel were stretched thin, and security had increased dramatically, mostly in the form of bowl-helmed Alderaanian soldiers. Alliance forces were also commonly seen marching the rows of makeshift homes, and the occasional Jedi could be spotted at the perimeters, staring stoically into the sunset, over Tython's broken horizon.

Alicio would have likely been doing the same, if he hadn't had so much to do.

The Count in question pinched the bridge of his nose as he set down his datapad, the screen showing an inventory of the camp's supplies. He wore dark clothes, a dour cape and jacket, as he always did. For the first time, however, his wardrobe seemed to match the moods of those around him. Theoretically, his shift should have ended an hour ago, but a new shipment of bacta patches had arrived unexpectedly. Alicio couldn't leave work undone.

A red-headed Alderaanian man waved at the Count, bowing as he approached. "Your Excellency, I'm calling it a night." He raised an eyebrow. "If you don't mind my saying, you should too. It's getting dark."

"I will," Alicio lied. "Just a few more items to check off my list. Go on, get some rest."

The other supervisor gave the Organa a suspicious look, then shrugged, headed into the evening. "As you say." Alicio turned his attention back to his datapad, glancing over it's contents. Someone needed to run the new bacta over to the medical tents.

He couldn't leave work undone.

- Amani Serys Amani Serys -

Last edited:
The stress was becoming too much. It seemed there was just one thing after another, like the galaxy was hell bent on getting Amani Serys to break. What remained of her home was broken, and before it could be healed it had been trampled on all over again. And it was only just now that she was finally afforded a vestige of time to fathom it all; The battle, the attack on the camp, and why not, every other bad thing that had been thrown at her over the course of just a few decades of life. It was an ugly domino effect, one that caused it all to flood out at once.

By now she was one of the only people left on medical shift. It was probably for the best, seeing as that made it easier to have a moment alone.

Not that it could last forever. There was still work to be done. Amani, eyes puffy and red from a healthy cry session, rubbed her nose against her sleeve with a sniffle, and stepped out of her little hideaway tent and back onto the main grounds of the camp’s medical wing.

“Hey, you can always take a bit of a break if you need to.” The sudden voice nearly scared her. Another medic, looking concerned about her co-worker’s well-being, waited for some kind of answer.

“...No… no, I’m good. I’ll finish up here.”

“You sure?”

The mirialan nodded her head rapidly, until the other woman got the message. It was a good thing it was getting dark; Her entire face had burned a darker shade of green at being unintentionally exposed.

Left alone once again, Amani stepped over to a table and checked the datapad manifest laid atop it. They were still a bit short on supplies.

Thankfully, a new batch was right on cue.

Alicio enjoyed the work of pushing the hovercrate across camp.

As the day cooled off into night, the refugees filtered back into their tents for the most part, laying down on small cots, or posting up on the packed earth outside their tent flaps. The world was deathly quiet, as conversations were few and far between, and never spoken above a murmur.

The Count couldn't help but feel a pang of guilt as he passed the Tythonians. He kept his grey eyes down, focusing on the task at hand.

Entering the medical wing, Alicio spied a table, and guided the crate that direction. It was only when he got a little closer he recognized the green hue of the worker next to it.

Wordlessly, he positioned the container next to the table, pressing a button on the side and disengaging it's repulsors. "Here's some bacta patches," he said simply to Amani, opening the crate and revealing the neatly-packed contents. "Should be enough to last a few weeks, all going well."

Alicio shot the smallest of smiles the Mirialan's way. "How can I help?"

Last edited:
The sudden second voice made her jump yet again, only this time Amani simply tried to laugh it off, "You all gotta stop sneaking up on me." Just another testament to how frayed her nerves were, that she couldn't pick up on his presence sooner.

She spun around to face the source, frantically tying her hair back in a halfhearted attempt to appear a little more presentable, "Sorry, you just caught me at a weird time." A few more seconds passed before recognition struck; He'd made a bit of an impression on her during the attack, but they never got proper introductions out of the way. Her eyes then caught sight of the bacta crate, which was a relieving sight of its own, "Ah, been wondering where those were. Thank you. I can administer the rest from here, really. It's no problem." She overcorrected a bit in her reassurances, as if she were just continuing the conversation with the woman before.

Amani sighed, and leaned against the table behind her, "We never really got a chance to meet before everything went to hell, did we?" She forced a smile, "But given the cape, I feel like I'm supposed to already know who you are." His influence was obvious, given how he'd acted at the last site; This operation was at least in part thanks to him and his resources. But she'd never really been much of one for keeping up on the bureaucracy.

Amani's surprise had a domino effect on Alicio, who jolted his shoulders a bit at her sudden movement. After the initial shock, and the woman's apology, the nobleman shook his head, his voice taking on a light tone. "I'm sorry I startled you. Didn't realize I was wearing my extra-stealthy boots today." Another smile.

When his cape was mentioned, Alicio couldn't help but tug at where it met his shoulder with a self-conscious hand. Still, he stood a little taller as he introduced himself. "Alicio Organa. I'm the administrator here." He didn't say it with any hint of pride. Instead, his face was tinted by the lightest hues of guilt.

"Are you sure you don't want help?" He began stacking bundles of bacta patches on the table, emptying the crate next to Amani, having previously noted her feverish insistence that she could manage. "I've been trained in first aid, and I am a master of organization."

Last edited:
"No, no, I just… need to pay more attention, I guess." She shrugged, not able to come up with any more reasonable excuse for a stranger.

"Right. Administrator…" Amani confirmed, as if she knew anything about the upper management. She'd taken on bigger roles in camps before, but for this, she was just another medic. "I-" As ready as she was to deny Alicio's offer of help, his 'master of organization' comment elicited a giggle out of her, "Is that at an official title, now?"

The healer snatched a few bundles onto the table as well, then shrugged in resignation, "What the hell. I guess I wouldn't mind the help, if you've got the time. I already shooed off anyone else that could," She smiled, continuing to unload the stockpile of patches. A few more moments passed before she suddenly blurted out again, realizing she never even bothered to follow-up on his introduction, "U-um, Amani. Serys. That's… my name."

Nice.

Last edited:

Sensing, more through his training as a public figure than his use of the Force, Amani's confusion at the title, he elaborated quickly, pointedly keeping his eyes on the task at hand. "This camp was my idea. I scrounge up the supplies, find homes for all the refugees in cities across the Alliance..."

"Basically, my role is to ensure nothing goes wrong. Wonderful job I've done so far,"
the Count said, unable to dull the wicked edge of his sarcasm.

"Is that at an official title, now?"

Alicio finally looked up from his hands, his grin spreading. "You're looking at the fastest spreadsheet-compiler this side of Coruscant. It might as well be."

His smile only grew with Amani's acceptance of his assistance. He unpacked the last few parcels, and began to sort them on the table by size. "It's good to meet you, Amani. And... thanks for your help. I might have lost myself, if not for your calm."

Amani snorted, “Well, I won’t blame you too much for that one. Pretty sure Sith Emperor attacks aren’t usually an expected risk.” It would be an awfully depressing galaxy if chaos like that was the norm. Of course, that wasn’t far off from her chosen lifestyle.

“Wow, I didn’t realize I was in such esteemed company.” She played along with a bit of mock admiration. It was all rather silly, but that made for a pleasant distraction from what would’ve otherwise been a night spent dwelling on darker thoughts.

“Don’t mention it. Just doing my job,” Amani sniffled, slowing down a bit in her work. It was difficult to believe, but given the circumstances things had mostly turned out for the better. The camp escaped, and the refugees would live on to see another day. At least, most of them anyway.

“Speaking of, again not that I mind the company,” She clarified, “But I’d have thought the administrator would have more… I dunno, important things to do than this.”

Alicio furrowed his brow, his stony eyes hardening to steel. She might not blame him for the events of that day, but he certainly did, Sith Emperor notwithstanding.

The Count began stacking the supplies in neat piles, patting the sides of each container with his hands to ensure they were perfectly balanced, but looking up when he heard Amani sniffle. "You were very brave, regardless." He had to concede that it could have gone far worse. He was fortunate that so many Jedi were there that day. If they hadn't been, Alicio would have rushed to the defense of the refugees without a second thought, against one of the most powerful beings in the galaxy.

He wondered coldly how many seconds he would have survived.

"Fair observation," Alicio murmured, pausing his work, and scanning over the area, noting the fully occupied medical tents. "I'm not blowing off work, if that's what you're wondering. I just finished my shift for the day."

The Organa shrugged. "There's so much to do. I'd rather help out than go to my tent and pretend to rest."

Alicio glanced at the medic, mustering some bravery of his own, and trying to project as much warmth as he could. "I realize it's idiotic to ask, but... is everything alright, Amani?"

Amani blushed a little at the compliment, "Thanks…" then played it off with a bit of a tease, "...You weren't so bad yourself."

She listened curiously to his explanation. Perhaps the healer had just grown a little more cynical in the last few years, but to hear a man of his station talk so keenly of actually serving his subordinates was surprising to her. Especially given that he seemed, well, genuine.

She'd have smiled, if his next question didn't prove his perceptiveness. Amani sighed, and slapped down the last bacta patch in her hand, "That obvious?" It didn't exactly take a genius to deduce her underlying troubles. She leaned back, and rubbed her arm.

"Uhh...Not really. It's, um, it's been a lot. To deal with." She paused for a moment, then specified, "Tython is my ah, my home. So, it's been pretty much constant stress for the last... 48 hours. As you might imagine." She tried to laugh a little, but the sound hitched in her throat. There just wasn't much light she could find right now, "I'll... deal with it..."

"Thanks...You weren't so bad yourself."

Alicio shook his head with a smile, but accepted the returned compliment regardless. He didn't feel particularly brave. He just didn't want anyone else to die.

Despite the subject matter, the noble was glad he hadn't been off-base with his question. As Amani shared, Alicio gave her his complete attention, turning his shoulders towards her, and neglecting the table of supplies. He noticed her body position, as if she wanted to curl up, the pauses, the choppy laugh. It all physically pained him.

Sometimes, the best way to help is to listen.

There was obviously more Alicio wanted to say, but he fought back the platitudes and well-wishes. Instead, he picked up one of the packs of bacta patches, and turned towards one of the nearby medical tents. "Hey, come on. We should probably replace some of the older bandages with these." Her words were still on his mind, but he pushed off his response a moment longer. "I'm no medical professional, but even I know bacta is magic compared to gauze."

As he began to walk that direction, his tone softened again. "Were you at the battle?"

“Right.” Amani blinked, and pinched the bridge of her nose. There was work to do, and she had nearly let herself become distracted. Normally, work was the distraction. “Sorry, usually I’m a little better at keeping this stuff buried.” As if that were the healthy approach to take.

She mirrored the Count, grabbing a few patches and following him closely toward the tent. “Yeah. It was…” Amani trailed off, never really finding an accurate descriptor for the experiences of that day. If the shudder in her breath was any indicator, the answer lay somewhere between ‘harrowing’ and 'nightmarish’. “What about you?” She swallowed the feeling, large blue eyes settling curiously on him instead.

For the first time in their conversation, Alicio drew himself up, narrowing his eyes at Amani, as if something she had said had deeply displeased him. If it weren't for the package in his hands, the Count would have been the perfect image of a domineering noble. "Never apologize for that," he said, before softening again. "I wanted to know."

Her response to his question was limited. Alicio pondered the meaning behind that, her grim demeanor not lost on him. "I wasn't. I've only heard accounts of what happened. It's hard to wrap my head around the scope of it all." They made it to the flap of the tent, but before pushing it aside, he addressed the Mirialan again, seeming to have lost some of his confidence.

"I've heard it's healthy to... talk things out with someone. Putting thoughts to words helps us categorize and sort them easier in our minds. It makes them manageable."
Alicio didn't suggest that he was that person. Nor did he plan on pressing the matter further. He simply held open the tent, letting Amani enter first.

The sudden shift in Alicio’s posture was unexpected, but she found no words to counter his own. It was dangerously easy to be hard on herself, knowing full well she’d have the same response as the Count if another had expressed such self-loathing. Her demeanor simply transitioned from surprise, to shame, to subdued appreciation; And no more response was given until they approached the tent.

“It’s already hard to play the part, working in camps like this. But you get used to it, cause you have to be that presence. Smile, affirm, reassure. For all the people relying on you; The ones that had it worse. Seeing it happen to my own, it’s…” She stopped outside the entrance, a thin film of water now forming over her eyes, “Unbearable.” Yet despite that, she then suddenly blinked the tears away and put on a wan smile, before stepping into the tent.

Playing the part.

Right near the entrance, an elderly woman was sat up in her bed, reading what appeared to be an old journal; One side of her face was covered in bandages, obscuring what should’ve been her right eye. Amani came to her side with a look of mock disappointment, “Alva. Don’t you think you should be getting ready for bed this late?”

Alva chuckled, a grin forming across her face that was missing a few teeth, “I been layin’ in bed all day, Amani. Surely you can spare an old woman a few more minutes? Force knows I ain’t got many left at this age.”

The healer hushed her patient for such an implication, but quickly returned to a smile, “I’m not your mother, Alva. You can do whatever you want. So long as you let me change your bandages while you’re at it.” She revealed the bacta patch in her hand.

The old woman laughed again, and set aside her journal to let Amani do her work. The mirialan gave Alicio a nod towards one of the other patients in the tent as she set to unwrapping the bandages. Underneath, Alva had indeed lost an eye, but either thanks to old age or general weariness, she seemed to dwell little on the matter. The relief offered by a bacta patch, however, was undeniable in comparison to simple gauze. A few silent moments passed before Alva spoke again, “Bless you.” Amani’s smile wavered ever so briefly, then returned again, “Thank him. Our gracious administrator arrived just in time with the new batch.” She looked over toward Alicio, and the woman did as well.

"Seeing it happen to my own, it’s…” She stopped outside the entrance, a thin film of water now forming over her eyes, “Unbearable.”

Alicio seemed pensive as Amani recomposed herself, and stepped past him. He took a heartbeat more in the open air of Tython, stealing a breath from a broken world with a promise to return it.

He would happily shoulder the burden, were it possible for him to do so.

Ducking inside, the Count quickly took stock. A few cots, all occupied by refugees. Alicio had heard that the medical tents had been overcrowded ever since the evacuation; the fear of that day had caused crowds to panic, causing plenty of cuts, bruises and broken bones. It was one more weight Alicio had added to his heart.

At her direction, Alicio took to the other end of the tent, leaning over the still form of a Duros. Lesions covered his body, many merely surface level, a few gouging deeper. Alicio sanitized his hands, and held up the package of bacta patches. "Mind if I...?"

With a nod from the man, Alicio began unravelling soiled strips of white with cautious hands, covering the worst wounds with a patch. He smiled as the Duros hissed, then relaxed. Looking over his shoulder to Amani and Alva as they addressed him, Alicio hemmed and hawed. "No, I just... I just ordered them. That's all." Embarrassed at the attention, he returned his gaze back down to his own patient, who had fallen asleep. The relief from the bacta had given him what he needed to finally rest.

The Organa rested a finger on the Duros' sternum, closing his eyes. Like a weighted blanket, the Force pressed down around him, a sudden pressure across his body. Alicio channeled that pressure, his emotions, his compassion, into the man, stitching up a few superficial scratches with the Force. "Sleep well," he whispered.

On to the next.

“Ohhh, he’s a handsome one, isn’t he?”

“Shhh…”

“And probably a rich one at that!”

“Alva!” Amani scoffed, and gave the old woman a playful slap on her wrist. She could only hope the Count had somehow not heard. Meanwhile Alva continued to chuckle, amused by her own antics.

Amani hurriedly finished reapplying the bandages, and stood up with a smirk, “Alright, it’s officially lights-out time. You aren’t the only one in this tent who needs some rest.” Before her patient could protest, she raised a hand, and Alva gave a knowing smirk back, a silent ‘touché’ to the healer.

She cast another glance toward Alicio, seeing that he had already gotten another to sleep. It brought out a more genuine smile, as did the warmth of the Force, which she could register from here. Amani moved on to the next cot, bringing her a little closer to the Count. The Twi’lek man lying there simply sat up and offered the bandaged stump of his leg. A few moments passed in which the mirialan tried to focus on her work, biting her lip in concentration. Once the bacta patch was applied, she stood up a little more rigidly.

Fuck it. A woman can be curious.

“So this… operation of yours; You do work on more than just Tython, right?” The mental gymnastics, for how this could be connected to her actual question, were put to the test, “...I mean, you seem pretty well connected. There was a woman with you back at the last camp. Is she like… yourrrr… friend?” Very smooth.

“Ohhh, he’s a handsome one, isn’t he?”

“Shhh…”

“And probably a rich one at that!”

“Alva!”

Alicio chuckled quietly to himself.

Moving on to the next patient, a woman with an IV drip and in a fitful slumber already, Alicio cast an inquisitive glance. Nothing to bandage, if anything, she looked malnourished, with pain in places that bacta wouldn't help. He quietly cast a glance around, to see if anyone was watching, before touching a finger to her sternum as well.

Even if he couldn't heal her, the least he could do was give her a good night's rest.

Quickly moving onto the final cot of his side, Alicio pondered the line of questioning Amani posed. "This is the first time I've run a camp. Usually, I help build refugee cities. About half of the people in this camp are headed to mine, Sanctuary City. Alderaan," he added. He didn't like mentioning his nobility, though Amani probably had enough information to figure it out. Fancy clothes, Alderaan, Organa...

"As for Inanna..." Alicio seemed to genuinely consider the question. Where did he and Inanna Harth Inanna Harth stand? "We're friends. Maybe... maybe more?" He smiled, a bit unsure.

"I think we're going on a 'date' soon." He said the word as if it were foreign to him. That, mingling with the sudden fit of nervousness that plagued him, might give one the impression he'd never been on one before.

Amani hummed knowingly. Well, there’s only so much you can expect when you saw the guy holding hands with someone less than 24 hours ago. Still, his innocent confusion over the matter got her to laugh, “I know that feeling. Kinda.” Relationships were weird. Especially given she’d spent so many years drifting, never really giving anything the chance to stick.

Amani walked back past Alva’s cot, giving her a look, one which the woman was already giving her. Unsurprisingly, she had been eavesdropping on the conversation.

The healer laughed again, both from the look and the Count’s continued explanation, “You think you’re going on a date? Oh, Alicio…” Boys never seemed to fully figure it out. Even when you spell it out in front of their face, there was still a question mark attached to their interpretation. “May the Force have mercy on you.” She walked back over to the entrance, and prepared to extinguish the last light, and leave this weary tent be for the night. Amani nodded for her partner to follow, leaving the flap open for them to step back outside.

After finishing dressing the final wounded person's injuries, Alicio shot Amani yet another look made famous by many a pompous nobleman: confused indignation. "What's that sup-" The Mirialan was already walking away, signaling him to follow. With nowhere else to turn, he looked to Alva for guidance. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Alicio ducked out of the tent, covering the flap behind him. As he did, he felt his crest fall a bit. It felt good, right even, but replacing a few bandages wasn't going to make up for all the trouble of the past day. It wasn't going to prepare them for more.

A moment of weakness cracked Alicio's own mask. Some mix of worry and guilt, quickly overshadowed by determination. "Next," he said, ready to conquer whatever menial chores Amani still had to complete before closing time.

Amani just waved him off with a bit of a laugh as they stepped back out into the night air, "I'll tell you when you're older." She joked.

Her tone then quickly turned softer and more genuine, even if her smile flattened a little, "But uh… I hope it all works out for you." However that might be. The clearing of her throat signaled a transition back to the work at hand.

"Mkay. The rest of the tents should be lights out by now. Anyone else who needs the bacta already got it from our last batch. The rest can be dealt with when morning comes around. Or, if an emergency comes up in the middle of the night. But by then I, or one of the other healers, will deal with it." She shrugged. "Still, might not hurt to split what we've got left to the rest of the tents. Just one less thing to worry about tomorrow, right?" Amani gestured towards the next closest tent; Outside of the entrance was a receptacle to drop in fresh supplies for quick access. Rather than forcing everyone to congregate at one large storage area. Similar receptacles laid outside the other tents as well.

"Then I can free you from your service. Sound good?" Amani then shrunk down a bit, and overdid her attempts to correct herself "I mean- Not that, like, I'm gonna make you stick around. You can do whatever you want, I'm pretty sure. I'm not your boss. Um-" She laughed awkwardly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom