Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lightsaber Forms & RPing

Bar the initial point of the writer saying....

"He moved into the Form of the Raging Ronto, blade ready to strike"

....or whatever, I don't know anyone, myself included, who follows through any Form to point at all.

As in the films, you don't watch and go "Oh! Soresu! Good work, Obi-Wan". It's just pretty much you're an aggressive fighter or defensive.

That's it. To be honest, just enjoy writing a sword-fight and think about all you've seen on screen. Don't try to emulate a form in Wookiepedia because you'll end up writing something boring.

Using the descriptions from wookieepedia and various other sources you can gather a pretty good understanding of how various Lightsaber forms would look if being performed. Using that knowledge you could actually go through the movies and point out which techniques and maneuvers belonged to which Form. This has even gone so far that there are lightsaber dojos using their own interpretations of the canon. Writing this kind of stuff can be incredibly fun, but it requires a lot of digging and research, so it's perfectly fine to just stick to simple descriptions of aggressive or defensive fighting, like Connor mentioned.

I've always enjoyed writing lightsaber forms in more detail. It helps with my immersion in the universe and adds to the fluff of a battle/post, fleshing it out and giving it more detail. It can also be interesting to go deeper into the philosophies behind each Form and how they differ in various points.

But as I said, this is mostly fluff, so it's completely optional, in my opinion.

I actaully know little about the forms themselves. So saying that Dar'rak favors one or the other would be pointless. He wields a saber staff and I basically post based on my own knowledge of how to use a staff in combat. I let others do the hard labor of figuring out what form perhaps suits him best. I think when I first created him my Master at the time [member="Kiskla Grayson"] mentioned form V would be good for him and as a practitioner she would teach him. Though since that was years ago I do not really remember if that was an OOC or IC conversation. We never got too far into his training as after the invasion topic I kind of vanished without much word. Only recently rediscovering this site and logging back in after almost 3 year hiatus.

That being said, I think if someone (Writer) has studied the forms extensively enough that they can have a character use one of the forms exclusively then I personally say, "Go for it". It brings an extra level of emersion for everyone. Me... I do not have that level of knowledge so suffice to say I will be sticking with the ignite and swing method of posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom