Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Legacies

Amani huddled up close to Alicio as he pulled her in, keeping each other warm as an icy breeze crept through. "Mmhmm…" She hummed in his ear, and smiled slyly. Her mouth opened to answer his question, but he quickly chose to keep the spoilers to a minimum. At that, she just grinned, and turned her attention to the play. It had started as if at the climax of another story. Arwen Cohl leading his people as they retook the last bastion of their enemy's influence on Mirial. But his victory was cut short. Eventually, he was lead away, and the scene changed to a cold prison. The lone Arwen beginning a somber soliloquy in the confines of his cell.

"A few of the other Mirialan leaders thought he was getting too influential, too popular. So they conspired to turn him into a public enemy. Claimed he was a traitor, and arrested him. While he rots in a cell, they try to consolidate their own power." It was an unfortunate turn for the patriotic hero. One that ultimately turned him into something else. This was where Arwen's legacy became complicated.

The soliloquy turned bitter as it neared the end. After many years, the much more cynical Arwen broke free of his confines, and hunted down the cabal of once-friends that had conspired against him. He slew them all on his own, and turned his back to the planet he had once saved. "I can't blame him for being angry, but…" Amani couldn't quite find the words for it. But evidently she was a bit conflicted about the man Arwen eventually became.

Alicio twisted his lip. "Politics," he said thoughtfully, watching the rest of the scene play out with a sad familiarity. It was that game that Alicio had been trying to avoid in the Senate as much as possible; struggles for power. He felt a little uncomfortable, watching someone with noble intentions struck down for political gain, and falling down a brutal, messy path.

The Count rested his cheek on Amani's shoulder, suddenly wishing for a bit more warmth.

"I... understand... why he did it." Alicio ventured quietly. "I don't agree with it. And it doesn't excuse his actions, but... I understand." It was worth some thought. What would he do, in a similar situation? He wasn't sure.

The pair watched on as the tone of the play took another turn. Suddenly, it was a swashbuckling, action-packed adventure, complete with stunning acrobatic choreo, a loyal right-hand and a love interest, the first other human Alicio had seen on Mirial. Arwen was brutal, decisive, but the action, with the titular character leading from the front, putting himself on the line for his people, made their mutual loyalty entirely clear. Even as they were hired by a literal terrorist organization, Alicio couldn't help but feel for the ragtag group.

As Arwen and Rella embraced, declaring their love for each other, Alicio smirked, giving Amani a peck on the cheek, before returning to the story.

- Amani Serys Amani Serys -

"Mmhmmm," Amani hummed knowingly. Cutthroat politics were a universal custom, it seemed. The drive for power, for influence, always managed to bring out the worst in people. She Alicio rest his cheek on her shoulder, and she in turn rested her head on his own. The Count's further musings were met with silent introspection, and a tighter squeeze of his hand. Something about it all reminded her of Alicio's struggle with Denon, especially now that the entire Senate's attention had unexpectedly been turned onto it. What were the chances that he find himself caught in the middle of something not too different?

Despite the tragic beginnings, Arwen found his place among a band of lovable ne'er-do-wells, adventuring across the galaxy in what Amani could only presumably was a highly romanticized interpretation of pirate life. But his virtues weren't disconnected from truth; Famously Cohl was brave and loyal to his crew above all else. Even Amani, who seemed to be a bit less comfortable with the man's actual legend, couldn't deny the entertainment value of its fictionalized retelling. Despite his lover being known as human, she was still surprised to see another of Alicio's species here in the play. At their declaration of love, Amani could practically sense the growing smirk on Alicio's face, and pressed her cheek against his kiss.

The moment between Arwen and Rella was also a declaration to turn away and leave everything behind. To retire and grow old together. But there was uncertainty behind it all. After another monologue, Arwen realized he couldn't simply leave. The life he built called to him, and when the same terrorist organization from before reached out once more, he accepted. The mirialan began to assemble a team of hardened assassins for a mission that threatened to upturn the entire old Republic, "…They're plotting to kill the Supreme Chancellor," Amani explained.

"…They're plotting to kill the Supreme Chancellor."

Alicio's lip tightened, as he continued to watch the action. The actors were good, he'd almost forgotten he was still on Mirial. For a moment, he'd been aboard the Hawk-Bat, a passive observer to a moment in history.

<It's not the credits that brought me back,> Arwen's actor declared, after having been roped into one more job. <It's the life. How does someone like me retire? What do I know about farming? This is what I know. This is how I am.>

It wasn't long before the job went sour. Alicio didn't cry when Rella died, but his eyes certainly began to sting a little, especially when the play added a (certainly-historically inaccurate) final death scene between the leads. He could barely understand it, but the emotion on their faces was painful to see. Still, Arwen and his right hand perservered, fueled by revenge. Which was how they met two Jedi, played by Mirialans, who introduced themselves shortly.

"...Kenobi?" Alicio said after a moment, wondering vaguely if he'd misheard. "Did I hear that right? Like... Obi-Wan Kenobi?"

The play was almost surprisingly engrossing. Amani never quite doubted the artistic potential of her species, but it was hard not to be impressed by the production value this little village had put together. She found herself reacting visibly to the ups and downs, her grip on Alicio's hand fluctuating from scene to scene.

Arwen's employer had other plans. To him, the crew was expendable; Little more than a distraction. But Arwen refused to throw his men to the wolves when they had not signed up for it. Havac wouldn't have it, and a firefight soon broke out. Rella, the love of Arwen's life, who had tried so hard to get him to back out again, paid the ultimate price. Arwen swore revenge, and in his pursuit became unlikely allies with a pair of Jedi at the eleventh hour.

"The very same," Amani confirmed with a smirk. There was something about the mirialan Kenobi and Jinn that was mildly amusing. Seemed, unsurprisingly, they couldn't quite get more than one human actor on time. "I hear he was well-acquainted with your family," She turned to the Organa, as if expecting Alicio to admit he knew the ancient Jedi personally.

As Cohl and his allies rushed to stop the attack, there was one final twist. Havac's intent had never been to murder the Supreme Chancellor at all. Instead, the Trade Federation Directorate were the Nebula Front's real targets. He activated his droid (which here was just a prop), and it mercilessly executed the Directorate members. Cohl sprang in, and the final climactic duel between him and Havac was filled with all the drama one would expect. The two men wrestled for the blaster, and suddenly, Havac took it, and fired a shot. Amani gasped quietly. Arwen stumbled to his knees, but his final act was to pull the blaster away, and kill Havac where he stood. Then, with a few parting words to the crowd, Arwen Cohl succumbed to his wounds. A few of the surivving characters, from Boiny, to the two Jedi, and even Chacnellor Valorum, appeared and gave a few parting words regarding Arwen's death. Some of them perhaps a bit too eulogical for a pirate who had just a short while earlier been quite content with the idea of murdering the leader of galactic democracy.

But with that, the play came to an end, and the actors all returned to stage for a bow, and well-deserved praise from the crowd. Amani clapped eagerly, and when the noise died down, turned to Alicio. She sighed, and looked at him expectantly, as if waiting to see his reaction before saying anything herself.

"Yeah," the Organa breathed, staring at the young Mirialan actor as if he were the legendary Jedi Master himself. "It's one of the stories my father used to tell us, about our ancestors." It had always been phrased as a history lesson, but not even his father's clinical retelling could completely scrub the mythic wonder of the turn of the era.

Alicio was on the edge of his seat as the twist was revealed, true intentions were sussed, and a final, tragic battle between Cohl and Havac ended in mutual destruction. One hand held tightly onto Amani's, the other covering his mouth as Arwen gave his last words. He was forced to look away, blinking hard as the living characters gave their final thoughts on the Mirialan; a villain who never stopped being a hero. Of course, they all glossed over the fact he'd been ready and willing to kill the chancellor, but in the moment, so did Alicio.

He shot up to his feet as the actors took their bows, clapping enthusiastically. He glanced down, noting Amani's expectant gaze, and giving her a small smile. "That was... really good," he said genuinely. "Even through the language barrier. I didn't understand... all of it," he conceded, sheepishly running his fingers through his hair, "But... I was moved."

"It's nice to be reminded that our legacies live on, after we're gone. Despite our mistakes."

"You know the story better than me. How did they do?"
Alicio gave Amani a moment to relay her own thoughts, stretching his hand out to grasp hers once more.

"The Organas have a long history," Amani hummed. She couldn't claim to be an expert on every little detail, but they were among the oldest names in Alderaan. Some of their most renowned leaders, just and righteous servants of the people. That, at least, seemed to have carried on all the way into the modern age. She gave Alicio a loving smile.

"It was!" Amani agreed, a bit more eagerly, "I wasn't expecting it to be as high caliber as it was." Given the language barrier, She got the full picture, unlike Alicio, but it was a testament to the performers that he picked up on as much as he did, even without the occasional clarification from Amani.

His question made her think for a few moments, taking his hand, "I was also surprisingly accurate, I think. Sure, some things had to be exaggerated or changed for entertainment value, but overall, I think much of the integrity was maintained," She twisted her lips a moment, "Arwen Cohl is something of a folk hero for Mirialans. So I'm not surprised that he still gets shown off in a more positive light. Still, I find it uncomfortable how willingly they're able to brush over his darker qualities for the sake of romanticizing his story." A shrug. It was ancient history now, and if people hadn't quite changed their opinions by this point, it seemed unlikely they would any time soon. For the sake of a play, it wasn't all that big a deal, but his legacy extended beyond the theater. "He was a hero at first, I think. And then people corrupted him into something he should never have been. In the end, he did the right thing. But while I believe redemption is possible for almost anyone, it doesn't change the fact that some people have done things that can't just be ignored outright."

Arwen Cohl was a patriot, and a war hero. He was loyal, daring, and had a code of conduct. But he was also a pirate, a murderer, and a terrorist. One who robbed and killed for money and thrills, whose only qualm about agreeing to assassinate a political figure was whether or not the blame would fall on his shoulders. She could look at the role he played through a historical lens. But Amani was very cautious about the idea of glorifying him.

The Mirialan pulled her attention away as if to stop thinking about it, toward the temple, where people seemed to start moving. "Tattoo ceremony is probably being set up now."

Oddly, Alicio seemed to grow a touch worried as Amani mentioned House Organa's long history. But he didn't voice anything, instead nodding emphatically at Amani's praise of the production quality. He'd been thoroughly impressed by how they had managed to convey so much with so little. The Count was used to larger productions on Balmorra; to have something so small, but still so well-executed, was incredible, subject matter notwithstanding.

Still, Amani made an excellent point, as Alicio intertwined their fingers thoughtfully. It was unfair to history, to the innocent people Arwen Cohl had almost certainly hurt, to frame him as nothing but a misunderstood underdog. "Agreed," he said, staring off into the middle distance.

The pair started making their way to the temple, Alicio leading around the flow of the crowd, as if he knew exactly how they would shift and part for them. Alicio was silent for a moment more, before speaking. "Do you ever wonder how you'll be remembered?"

"I mean, Chief Healer, Jedi Council Member... You've already made the history books, Amani. How do you... want history to remember you?"

Last edited:
Alicio's subtle reaction to her mention of Organa family history was noted, but not pressed. It was too indiscernible to pick up on what exactly might have worried him, but it could only be assumed that he had a much more intimate understanding of his own family's legacy than she did. Their conversation carried on, to topics of production value, accuracy, and the ramifications of inaccuracy. Amani found herself thinking about it more than she even wanted to. The argument itself was a worthwhile one to have, but she was just here to enjoy a night with her boyfriend, "It was a good play, though," She affirmed once more.

They glided smoothly through the crowd on the way to the temple, at first in silence, but then Alicio posited a new question. Amanit turned to him, and blinked, "I… don't know. It's not something I really give much thought…" She pursed her lips, which turned into a sheepish smile as he listed off her accomplishments, "Just one more in a long line of them."

A beat passed, and the mirialan shook her head shamefully. Leave it to Amani for even an attempt at humility to bring her a sense of shame, "I shouldn't say that. I'm honored to have even been considered for both. I mean, Chief Healer? Council Member? Those were like, my biggest dreams as a Jedi." This was the pinnacle of her career. And to be both at a knight level? A smile returned to her face, "I guess I just- I just want to be known as someone who tried her best. To do the right thing. To… be a good person," She shrugged, before she pulled herself closer, hugging tightly onto Alicio's arm.

Whether she cared for it or not, her life would be chronicled for future generations. The good and the bad. The triumphs and the missteps. During her time with the Sith and even after her return, it was something she actually thought about quite a bit. Afraid of failing, and only ever being remembered as a traitor. The guilt remained for some time, but perhaps with the whole story, her time there could be examined in a more accurate light. A double agent who struggled to retain her very identity under the crushing weight of darkness. But who persevered in the end, who single-handedly saved a Jedi grandmaster. She never wanted to get some kind of hero treatment for it, in fact, even that interpretation felt too generous for her taste. Amani had still fallen to the Dark Side, after all. She just hoped that her actions would be judged fairly in the end.

"I don't need history to remember me. But if it does...I hope it can at least be like that." Amani turned to Alicio now, watching the thunderstorms that rolled underneath his eyes, "...What about you?" A count, and a senator. A young one at that. He would have his own place in history as well.

Last edited:

"It was a good play, though."

Alicio nodded once, sensing Amani's finality, and leaving it at that with a accepting smile.

The Count gave the Jedi a puzzled look as she began speaking, gliding past the meandering forms of other Mirialans. "You shortchange yourself far too much, love," he murmured, letting the endearment slip from his lips. "Even if the galaxy could only see half of how bright you shine, they'd still sing your praises for generations. You're more than just good."

"At least, I think so."

Alicio's face grew contemplative as Amani asked the question of him. Of course, he'd thought about it, more than he probably should have.

"Well... first and foremost, I'd like my face on every street corner on Sanctuary," he mused, trying and failing to keep a cheeky smile from his face. "In fact, I wouldn't mind if they renamed the Senate Building in my honor. Hell, I've been to the Jedi Temple a few times, they should slap my name on that, too."

His eyes glimmered a moment. "Honestly... I want what I help create to be remembered, more than me. I want to build something that lasts." He squeezed her hand. "As long as the people I love remember my name, I'd be more than happy."

Alicio lagged as the crowd around them paused. They had arrived at the temple's entrance.

Amani's cheeks flushed as Alicio sung her praises. If anyone could convince her to view herself in a better lens, it was far and away him. It reminded her of some of their earliest conversations. When they were just two well-meaning individuals, trying to accept that they were on the right path.

Well, they were still an Alderaanian noble and Jedi Knight, but they had grown even past that now. And to one another, they had grown into much, much more, "You're too kind, your excellency," She teased, losing herself in his eyes for a few moments longer. The more genuine 'thank you' was silent, but no less readable on her face.

Inevitably, Amani turned the question back to Alicio, who took a few moments to construct his answer. As soon as it became clear he wasn't being serious, she just smirked and rolled her eyes, "You helped build the city. Should have thought of that when you were overseeing things," The mirialan chuckled, "And while I don't have much pull in the Senate, I'll see what I can do about the temple."

When their cheeky back-and forth-faded, the Count gave his real thoughts. Amani listened, and smiled, gliding her thumb across the back of his hand, "That's a good answer. Can I change mine?" Another, more brief smirk, before she continued sincerely, "You've already done a pretty good job of making sure of that so far..." Places like Sanctuary would thrive because of his efforts. Generations of refugees would owe their growth to the second chances he helped their ancestors reach. And perhaps one day, generations of his own family would look back on Alicio's legacy with a similar fondness. Perhaps on both of their legacies, intertwined.

The doors slowly opened, distracting Amani from her daydreams. A few clerics stepped out, welcoming the villagers and pilgrims into the temple. The crowd around them lurched ahead once more, and they were on their way up the stairs, and into the warmly-lit, circular nave. There were various doors, leading to clerical rooms or places for private ceremonies. But most tonight would be settling in the main chamber. Already, the rest of the clerics were making the rounds, speaking to people and carrying large, heavy books. Actual books, inscribed on parchment and bound in leather. <Excuse me,> One of them suddenly appeared beside Amani, making her blink. He was younger than most of the others, with long black pushed back behind his ears. <Will you be recording any marks tonight?> She thought about it for a moment, then turned to Alicio.

"...Do you wanna get that tattoo?"
The declaration of love. Now would be as good a time as any, if he was ready for it.

"No," he returned, lost in a sea of blue. "Not kind enough, if you ask me, Chief."

Alicio discovered a sharp grin at Amani's response to his joking attitude. "Fiddlesticks. Missed my chance," he said, laughing a little. He returned his eyes to the path ahead, glancing around at the faces of the people around them as Amani continued. "Get your own dream," he ribbed, before letting his face fall neutral.

"I... hope so."

Stopping at the entrance for only a moment, Alicio and Amani proceeded as the tall temple doors swung open. Alicio tried to take in every detail of the circular room, absorbing the sudden warmth.

He was surprised by the sudden appearance of a young man. Alicio tried to parse some understanding from the cleric, only stopping to look down at Amani.

"...Do you wanna get that tattoo?"

Was this what he wanted?

Alicio was getting better at answering that question.

<Yes,> he said in Mirialan to Amani, and then to the priest. <Yes, please.>

"'Fiddlesticks'," Amani mimicked with a snort, "How old are you again?" His use of the outdated interjection was somehow amusing every time. She jokingly pouted when he told her to find her own dream, but when he returned to sincerity, so did she, "I know so."

They were ushered inside by the crowd, and quickly intercepted by one of the clerics. Both he and Amani watched the Count expectantly, and when he answered, in the native tongue no less, she beamed. <A pledge of love,> Amani specified for the cleric, her hand snaking back to Alicio's. The cleric looked between the two of them, and smiled.

<Very well.>

As people settled in, and their marks were chosen, the ceremony entered its next step. One at a time, each Mirialan had their achievement announced before the rest. The birth of a firstborn. A promotion out of an apprenticeship. A heroic act in the military. Achievements and developments of all kinds, each met with applause or cheers, even occasional comments from familiar faces. Then, the tattoos would be etched in. It was a gradual process, getting through each, but eventually, the clerics stopped before them. <Your names?> The eldest of them whispered.

"Amani Serys." She answered, turning to Alicio for him to respond in kind.

Afterwards, the cleric nodded, and turned to the assembled villagers, <Alicio and Amani. A pledge of love.> There were a few 'aww's from the crowd, added in with the claps and whoops. Two of the clerics turned their wrists so that the bottom faced up, Alicio's left and Amani's right. The tattoos were done with ink and sticks, meticulously poking the design into the skin one jab at a time. It wasn't exactly a comfortable experience, especially seeing as it was being done on the wrist, but at least for Amani, the process was one she had grown accustomed to. When it was done, they each had a small triangle, with a parallel line under the base, inked in: Alicio's was upright, while Amani's was inverted. When laid over one another, they 'interlocked'. The elder cleric stood up, "May your love be everlasting." He offered in heavily-accented Basic. A few more celebrations among the village folk, and they were off to the next Mirialan in the circle.

"Not too bad, right?" Amani whispered to Alicio, smiling sheepishly.

"Oookay," Alicio responded, now his turn to roll his eyes at her. But his faux annoyance was quickly broken up by her affirmations. He looked down at his boots, suppressing a happy smile. "Thanks."

As the Count confirmed the tattoo ceremony, Amani smiled, making his day more than any top-quality play could hope to. It wasn't long before the ceremony began, each person in their circle getting a moment in the sun. Alicio clapped and smiled along with each, studying their faces, and trying to imagine what trials, what joys, had brought them to this point.

Every person had a story, written both on their skin, and in their eyes. And now, so would he.

"Alicio Organa," he said, proud to speak his name alongside Amani's. The response from the crowd earned an awkward smile, but he was focused on the woman at his side. A series of subtle pokes pricked his flesh, making him wince a little, but he stomached the pain, continuing to look at the one he loved. It was well-worth the pain.

Once they were done, and the crowd had moved on, the Count stepped into Amani, laying his forearm along hers, and studying the pattern they made together. "Not bad at all," he said, leaning in for an ardent kiss, before his eyes glinted mischeviously.

"Now that I've gotten a tattoo, that means you have to go to at least one Alderaanian ball with me, right?"

Last edited:
Throughout the process, Amani found herself locked onto Alicio, as he stared back at her. The soreness of the tattooing was just another exemplification of their dedication, and now their love was marked in their very skin, carried with them everywhere they would go, as tangible evidence.

They both laid out their forearms to admire the art, before Amani folded hers over to take hold of his hand, a gesture which maintained that same pattern. The triangles still interlocking as their fingers did the same. She leaned in for an emotional kiss, her other hand grazing his cheek while she lost herself to the moment.

When they pulled back, Amani giggled, "Alicio, I will go to every Alderaanian ball you ask me to." It was very much genuine. Anything was worth the trouble if Alicio was there along with her. She rested her forehead against his, turning quieter, "I love you so much…"

The ceremony went on for a little longer, until they reached the final person in the circle. A few more cheers and celebrations were had, and people began moving around to hug, chat, and offer well wishes. Mebita walked over, giving Amani and Alicio each another kiss on the cheek, before moving on. Even a few people they didn't even know came to share their excitement and happiness. It was a strange experience for Amani, but also a pleasant one. A sense of community on a level she never quite had before.

Eventually, some people stayed, while others migrated back outside to drink, talk, and dance. The ceremony itself was officially over, even though some celebrations would likely continue throughout the night. "Ready to tuck in for the night, or stick around a little longer?" Amani yawned, a bit tired from the day they had, but happy to join Alicio wherever.

Alicio pressed his forehead into Amani's after their kiss, hooking a finger with hers, and staring longingly into her eyes. "Words can't even begin to describe how much I love you, Amani," he murmured back, smirking as their noses bumped a little.

It wasn't long before the ceremony was complete, and the villagers began to disperse, stopping by the newly-proclaimed lovebirds to offer congratulations. Alicio smiled and nodded at each person as they passed, trying to commit each face to his memory of this moment. Recognizing Mebita, the Count bowed to give her purchase to his cheeks, now more prepared for the warm welcome of the older woman.

Soon, the merriment seemed to migrate elsewhere, leaving them in relative privacy once more. Alicio looked down at Amani, smiling warmly as she yawned. "Let's go tuck in," he said, reaching up to brush back a lock of her long hair. His fingers lingered there, tracing the soft skin behind her ear, before finally grasping her hand again. "Thank you for... sharing all this with me. Everything."

His eyes found his tattoo again. He couldn't stop staring at it, a happy grin plastered on his face, as they walked out of the temple, white mist blooming from their mouths.

Last edited:
Amani just beamed even wider, hearing him whisper it back. It was never a surprise, but it was always as musical as hearing it the first time. Their noses booped, making her giggle again. As the ceremony came to end, it was time for them to loosen up, lest they get stuck gazing into each other's eyes forever. Congratulations and farewells were giving, before the village folk parted to either continue their revelry in the main square, or tuck in for a long night's rest.

Alicio and Amani were very much in the latter camp, "Was kinda hoping you'd say that," she smirked, finding herself hit by a new wave of lethargy. The Count brushed a hand behind her ear, and she raised her own to hold over his as it lingered, a droopy but loving stare etched onto her face. It was his gratitude, though, that got her really emotional. To the point of wetting her big, blue eyes, "Thank you~" she pulled him into a tight hug, "Thank you for being here…" His engagement and appreciation for this meant everything to her.

Together they wandered back to their ship, to their warm, familiar bed. And suddenly, Amani found the second wind to yank Alicio into a deep kiss, as the boarding ramp closed behind them…

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom