Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Krennic-class Shield Generator and Shield Gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIP Carlyle Rausgeber

"It's all been bloody marvellous..."
· Intent: To supply the First Order with new defences on planets.
· Image Source: Shield Gate [Wookiepeedia]
· Canon Link: None.
· Restricted Missions: None.
· Primary Source: None.
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
· Manufacturer: The First Order.
· Model: Shield Gate.
· Affiliation: First Order.
· Production: Limited.
· Material: Glasteel Viewports| Turadium Blast Doors| Duranium Bulkheads and External Shutters| Alurasteel Frame | Quandanium Steel and Durasteel Hull.
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
· Classification: Defensive Shield Gate
· Length: 1200 m
· Width: 1200 m
· Height: 200 m
· Armament: Very low. Point Defence Lasers and Quad Batteries.
· Defenses: High. Anti-missile Octets. Encasement Shields.
· Hangar: 9 Squadrons of TIE variants.
· Maneuverability Rating: None.
· Speed Rating: None.
· Hyperdrive Class: None.

SPECIAL FEATURES
Strengths:

+Fighter Deterrent: The strong fighter compliment, along with the comprehensive anti-air defences, mean that the shield gate is comprehensively defended against fighter attacks.
+Impenetrable: Physically, outside of entering through the shield gate, one cannot penetrate the shield. Any craft, or entities which do, will be vaporised.
+Destroy it, and you’re screwed: The shield gate, once destroyed will cause the shield to lapse, and make the planet near impenetrable. The only way to subvert that, would be to destroy the generator.
+Encasement Shield: In 800 years, people have learned enough to know that hammerhead frigates shouldn't be near shields. Any attempt to copy that, will end in termination.

Weaknesses:

-Heavy Artillery: The Krennic-class was not designed to oppose the massive firepower offered by star defenders or heavier cruisers.
-Closing Up Shop: The shield gate, due to its size, finds itself difficult to properly close in an instant. It can take from thirty seconds up to two full minutes for the generator to be deployed.
-Powerhouse: The Krennic-class needs extensive reactor space in the shield gate to regulate power supply.
-Holey Hell!: The Krennic-class shield gate hangar allows for access above, and below a shield. Although not large enough for corvettes to exploit, skilled gunship pilots and snub fighters could exploit that to their advantage.
-Have You Tried Turning It On And Off Again?: Despite the fact the shield is left unhindered by the destruction of the gate, debris from the gate may interfere with shield integrity in the immediate area as it passes through. This is localised to the immediate area, and can allow a window for breaching. Algorithms within the generator will eventually correct this, though it will take time.

Description:

The Krennic-class shield gate is a large piece of military equipment. Upscaled from the shield gates of the Galactic Empire, it serves as a defensive point, with heavy modifications made to make it more efficient. The gate itself does not regulate the shield, and because of that, should it be destroyed, it seals the planet. Learning from the mistakes of the Battle of Scarif, the gate itself contains a shield with ensures that any attempt at kinetic destruction is rendered useless. That being said, it is vulnerable to cruiser attacks, and would rely heavily on support from other ships to repel assaults. There are however, new vulnerabilities. Hangars within the gate allow for access below the shield, meaning there is a small gap for enemy fighters to subvert the shield. That, and the shield closing time is drastically grown due to the increased size.

Admiral Carlyle Rausgeber watched as the phalanx of Stormtroopers ushered in the inspection crew. These men were not unknown to Carlyle. General Mort Argyle, flanked by Commodore Yasmin Durarst, FOSB Sector Director Ferdinand Despont and finally Executor of Treasury, Clement Hernorn. “And so it begins,” Carlyle mused, turning to his army adjunct, General Lucien Montague.

“We should do well Admiral.” Montague dryly replied, “Argyle and Durarst are military men, they’ll see to it this opportunity isn’t wasted.”

Carlyle turned to face the hangar viewport again, “I hope you’re right.” The admiral replied, watching as the entourage entered the turbolift to their level. There was a tense pause. Carlyle seated himself at the far end of the conference table, with Montague sitting to his left. The table, was long and rectangular, with a holographic projector in the centre. Carlyle waited in silence, with baited breath until the door hissed open. Carlyle stood, and smiled, “Gentlemen, ladies, I welcome you to our new facility.” He paused, “I did not solely construct this, General Montague has been critical in the design and planning of this project.”

“Admiral,” Argyle gruffly began, “It’s a pleasure to see your work again.”

“I do concur with the general,” Commodore Durarst added, “This new model of defence is rather,”The officer paused, “Impressive. Though I do have some reservations as to what strategies should be employed to defend such a project as this.”

A third voice was however raised, “I don’t see this stations capability ever being put to use,” Clement Hernorn hollered, “I believe that the effect it will have on trade outweighs any defensive benefits.”

“Well I can already see where the issues are going to be, but please, take a seat.” Carlyle offered, the group of inspectors nodded, and sat silently on the other side of the table from Carlyle and Montague, “Now,” Carlyle began, “Perhaps it is best to address the Executor’s concerns first.” He turned to face Hernorn and motioned for him to begin, “Please, elaborate your concerns.”

Clement nodded, “Thank you admiral,” The officer began, “My concern does not lie with the cost, but rather the potential strain on trade.” Hornorn began, “With our ongoing war with the Galactic Alliance, trade has already taken a hit with merchants unwilling to traverse our territory in fear of privateers.” The civilian representative began, “With this shield, it only adds headaches for ships wishing to land, having to go through your gate. Some of the larger trade ships from the Core will be unable to land, further undermining our ability to set up tariffs, and supply our population with luxury goods.”

“You raise a good point Executor,” Carlyle began, “But I-“

“Hogspittle,” The boorish General Argyle chuckled, “What use is your recious trade when our planet is lost, and the Alliance bombing our cities?” He jeered, “You clearly have no idea as to what a real defence takes.”

“And you have no idea what it takes to supply an army,” The Executor fired back, “Our trade supplies your army with the material necessary for frivolous-“ Hernorn paused, and watched as Carlyle evilly glared at the bureaucrat, “Projects. With all due respect.” The taxman added.

Carlyle sneered at the bureaucrat, though his words would be kinder, “Perhaps you simply do not see the values as you have not experienced what war takes.” Carlyle offered, “This gate here, acts as a compromise,” He began, “If it were up to General Argyle, I believe he would not bother anyways.”

“Here, here!” Argyle added, banging on the table.

“Nonetheless, trade of course will be impacted,” Carlyle admitted, “But it is what we must sacrifice, in order to maintain our standard of living, and secure our people against the scourge of the Jedi.”

Ferdinand Despont piped up, “I do concur with the admiral here,” He added, “If I may,” He paused, and watched Carlyle bow his head, an acceptance to allow the spook to continue, “This new shield, allows us to police whomever comes into our territories better. Although there as never been wholesale smuggling enterprise, we have had instances of individuals entering our borders for malicious purposes. From my understanding, this shield, while up is nigh impregnable,” The director waited for Carlyle’s nod of approval before continuing, “This allows us to be able to force those who would otherwise illegally trade within our space, to submit to inspections and detain them. If anything, this is a boon.”

The executor eyed the sector director carefully, “Perhaps you’re right,” The man conceded,“However, we’ll be watching this project carefully, should anything drastically impact our economy drastically.”

Carlyle nodded, “Now, do we have any other concerns?” he asked.

“Yes admiral,” commodore Durarst began, “I take some issue with the defensive strategy involved here.”

“In what form?” Carlyle asked, eyeing the woman quizzically.

“Well, first and foremost, how do we defend ourselves with this thing, doesn’t it negate the need for a navy?” The commodore asked.

“Not exactly, no.” Carlyle replied, “While it is true that if the generator is up, and should the gate go down, the shield would remain up. The fact is, is that if the Alliance were to somehow land boarders on the shield gate, they would have the ability to activate the gate, and flood reinforcements in.” He paused, “Then there is the additional issue of closing it, the Alliance would theoretically at least, land approximately three battalions of troops on the surface before the gate would close. Something we must not allow to happen.” Carlyle paused, “These troops could in turn destroy the generator, and then cause the surface vulnerable to bombardment.”

“What will our strategy be though?” Commodore Durarst asked, “You’ve outlined the strategic importance, not how we will defend it.”

Carlyle nodded. It was a fair enough critique, “Well, we deploy all our ships to ensure that the shield gate is defended, all patrols should be centred around the gate, and trying to force the Alliance away from it.” He said, “The Alliance’s joke of a star fighter corps would be rendered useless by the quad batteries and point defence systems, so only their navy stand a chance. Even if the navy is defeated, that’d be enough to alert other battlegroups, and allow for the deployment of reinforcements to crush the Alliance.”

“So we just try to draw the enemy away from the gate?” Durarst asked.

“Simply put, yes.” Carlyle replied.

[SIZE=9pt]“Given the fact this shield generator is key, I’d like to hear more about it.” General Argyle said, “I think we’ve heard more than enough about this damned gate.”

“Well, what would you like to hear then?” Carlyle asked, “What specifics are you after?”

“Garrison size. If this thing is apparently as important as you’re talking about, I want information on what we have defending it.” Argyle said.

“Well,” Carlyle began, “This question can go to General Montague.”

“Well then,” Montague began, “The defensive force for the shield generator itself will be small,”he admitted, “It falls under the purview of the PDF, and FOSB, with elements of the Starfighter corps.” He began, “We have structure it so approximately a battalion of PDF personnel along with one platoon of FOSB troops will act as the first line of defence. Should the facility be attacked, it would have approximately two thousand PDF troops sent with armoured elements to secure the generator and eradicate the threat.”

“What about the starfighter element?” Argyle asked.

“The compliment of Starfighters is actually drawn from the shield gate.” Montague began,“Because of the way we built the gate, the hangar can deploy either above the shield, or below.”The general continued, “This means if the Alliance scum manage to slide squadrons in, before we close this thing, they’ll have six coming right after them.” Montague continued, “We'll cut through any attack like a lightsabre through steak."

Argyle was careful as he listened to the proposition, "So, we essentially can hold a whole planet through defending one location?" He asked.

"In theory, yes," Carlyle replied, "We could defend entire systems with little more than a battalion. The power we are dealing with, it's limitless."
[/SIZE]

[member="Carlyle Rausgeber"]

These are very much two submissions.

I'm happy for the Shield Gate to be submitted through the Starship Template, but please submit the Generator (or use an existing model) separately.

The description is really rather colourful, but most people who want to look at the submission really want to be able to read a straightforward description for the submission.

Please put at least a summary paragraph at the start of the description that hasn't been written from an IC perspective.

Please remove this:

Carlyle Rausgeber said:
mean that the shield gate is invulnerable.

So in summary its the same as the gate in Rogue One except that it has its own shields and if it's destroyed the planetary shield remains operative? That does make it seem like it won't come up in Roleplay as there's no advantage to attacking it?

RIP Carlyle Rausgeber

"It's all been bloody marvellous..."
Raziel said:
I'm happy for the Shield Gate to be submitted through the Starship Template, but please submit the Generator (or use an existing model) separately.

Understood.

Raziel said:
The description is really rather colourful, but most people who want to look at the submission really want to be able to read a straightforward description for the submission.
Doneski.

Raziel said:
So in summary its the same as the gate in Rogue One except that it has its own shields and if it's destroyed the planetary shield remains operative? That does make it seem like it won't come up in Roleplay as there's no advantage to attacking it?
While that is true, it isn't necessarily going to be impenetrable. It forces the attacking side, or any infiltrators to be smart during the initial phase of their incursions. One could land a small strike team and have an assault on the shield generator itself while the gate is closing. So really, early game its important, but later on, should it be destroyed, or the shield go down, it's game over.

[member="Carlyle Rausgeber"]

If it gets blown up you'll still have a kilometer of station and debris where the shield wants to be? Admittedly on a planetary scale that is quite small.

Perhaps a sensible middle ground between that is seen in Rogue One and this submission is that if the Station is destroyed there is an exploitable weakness in the shield in the immediate vicinity of the station as the shield re-calibrates and the station falls from orbit?

Carlyle Rausgeber said:
+Fighter Deterrent: The strong fighter compliment, along with the comprehensive anti-air defences, mean that the shield gate is invulnerable.

Raziel said:
Please remove this:
Carlyle Rausgeber, on 03 Apr 2017 - 8:14 PM, said: mean that the shield gate is invulnerable.

Please remove this section from the strengths as was requested by the Factory Judge in his review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom