Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights of Ren Rank Tags - Question/Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering what why those tags were dismissed...as I think it would had a nice flair to the site with the Knights of Ren seeming to be coming back into life. As we dont know whether the Knights should be Dark Jedi or Sith, I feel they should be given their own Rank as they are something truly unique to the Star Wars universe. I dont know how many other's feel the same and I dont want to argue it. This is the only post I am making to this, so if this is shot down, that's all good, just making use of this section as it was meant to be.

[member="Crucifere Sin"]

We asked when First Order went major at first... they were denied then for the same reason. At the end of the day the original admin team (which I was part of for the FO) felt it wasn't worth pursuing because we exist as a faction for story not cool rank titles...

some histroy

skin, bone, and arrogance
Jaron Lesan said:
[member="Crucifere Sin"]

We asked when First Order went major at first... they were denied then for the same reason. At the end of the day the original admin team (which I was part of for the FO) felt it wasn't worth pursuing because we exist as a faction for story not cool rank titles...

some histroy
That was many months ago; the current administration feels differently (obviously).

We don't see the tags as a substitute for story, rather as a recognition that the Knights of Ren are a unique group that, by canon standards, do not fall into "Jedi", "Dark Jedi", "Rogue" or "Sith" categories.

At any rate, thank you [member="Valiens Nantaris"] for providing a somewhat measurable metric for our next shot.

Natasi Fortan said:
the Knights of Ren are a unique group that, by canon standards, do not fall into "Jedi", "Dark Jedi", "Rogue" or "Sith" categories.

By canon standards, nobody knows what the #$%^ the Knights of Ren are other than Kylo was a member/leader and they killed Luke's trainees.

The wiki lists them as a Dark Side organization, though.

I hear there's some sweet purple FU tags if you guys wanna use 'em

Avicus DuSang

The Patron Saint of Heartache
Such as the Force Witches who now have two rank tag sets?

I look through the individual tags, and I'm seeing quite a lot of niche tags. Explorer. Bladesman. Non-Force User (You know. To fill in that empty slot in case you couldn't find two). Scholar. Ghost. Dead. Et cetera.

As [member="Natasi Fortan"] stated, you've given us a clearer goal to get aforementioned tags brought into format. Hell, I'll double it up between the Navy and Order of the Ren if it means the Order has a Master.

Surely there are other tags that don't require a niche group to get their own specialized tag. Oh, perhaps these?
tumblr_obuwko45xN1us8758o7_r2_250.png
tumblr_obuwko45xN1us8758o8_r1_250.png
tumblr_obuwko45xN1us8758o9_r1_250.png

If every group got their own special tags aside from faction tags there'd be more work, and from my understanding the staff are a group of volunteers, they don't have to do anything. Less work the merrier. And if one brings up the argument about the recent witch tag debacle, I also agree that it is stupid. The tags got changed, people should just deal with it. Tags aren't an essential part of this site, the RP is.

Ra Vizsla said:
By canon standards, nobody knows what the #$%^ the Knights of Ren are other than Kylo was a member/leader and they killed Luke's trainees.

The wiki lists them as a Dark Side organization, though.

I hear there's some sweet purple FU tags if you guys wanna use 'em
While you may be technically correct, I think that bolsters my argument rather than refuting it. We may not know what they are, but we certainly know what they are not.

They're clearly not Jedi.
J.J. Abrams specifically said they're not Sith.
They are obviously "Dark Side" but "Dark Side" is not a workable rank tag.
Dark Jedi tends to connote (at least in my reading of the canon) being "fallen" Jedi -- again, not applicable to the Knights of Ren (generally) -- while Kylo Ren would fit into this category I don't believe all Ren would necessarily.

[member="Natasi Fortan"]
Dark Jedi aren't former Jedi, it's just someone who doesn't adhere to any code and utilizes the dark side. Problem solved.

[member="Natasi Fortan"]
As previously stated, you already have applicable tags:

Sabik Dhami said:
Surely there are other tags that don't require a niche group to get their own specialized tag. Oh, perhaps these?
tumblr_obuwko45xN1us8758o7_r2_250.png
tumblr_obuwko45xN1us8758o8_r1_250.png
tumblr_obuwko45xN1us8758o9_r1_250.png

If every group got their own special tags aside from faction tags there'd be more work, and from my understanding the staff are a group of volunteers, they don't have to do anything. Less work the merrier. And if one brings up the argument about the recent witch tag debacle, I also agree that it is stupid. The tags got changed, people should just deal with it. Tags aren't an essential part of this site, the RP is.

Sabik Dhami said:
[member="Natasi Fortan"]
As previously stated, you already have applicable tags:
"I don't think you should get tags" is not a valid argument, but thank you for playing. We've already established there are circumstances under which they would be warranted (see post from [member="Valiens Nantaris"] above).

Valiens Nantaris said:
If we get more Ren, especially higher ranked ones (there are no Master level Ren at the moment) we will certainly consider it next time there's a tag update.
We already have a few Masters of Ren. Just clarifying that for the record.

Ra Vizsla said:

We have been giving them development here on the board. Similar to any other faction and their own groups.

Liliane

L
I am not a staff member, but...

Guys.

This is one of the reasons why they got rid of all faction-centric FU tags in the first place.

Look, Jedi tags can apply to nearly all lightsiders, and we have a ton of different Jedi factions here. Conclusion - Jedi tags are not faction-centric.

Rogue tags can apply to nearly all Force users, depending on how people associate this alignment with characters. Conclusion - Rogue tags are not faction-centric.

Neutral tags can apply to nearly all Force users, with nearly no limitations. Conclusion - Neutral tags are not faction-centric.

Dark Jedi tags can apply to all dark side users, depending on how people classify this tag (this doesn't have to mean a fallen jedi or anything like that). Conclusion - Dark Jedi tags are not faction-centric.

Sith tags can apply to all dark side users, or at least to Sith factions, which we have had and will have many of. Conclusion - Sith tags are not faction-centric.

Witch tags apply to all Force users who use the less traditional, more magic-y type of the Force. Conclusion - Witch tags are not faction-centric.

Not let's take a look at the Knights of Ren. They are an unique concept, with a theme that doesn't fit into any other faction. They have a name that clearly indicates that this is an unique thing, their beliefs may be unique, and they can't be used by people who are not a part of the faction. Conclusion - Knights of Ren tags would be faction-centric.

It's not that difficult. You don't need your own rank tags if there are so many to choose from. All factions could start demanding their own FU tags, but that's not how it works. Rank titles have to be universal, which means everybody could use them. Somebody threw in a comment about the Non-Force User and Bladesman and Explorer tags. They are universal as well -- you don't have to be a member of a certain faction to use them.

However, Knights of Ren tags would only apply to one single group.

My suggestion would be to just deal with it.

Bunker-level Normal
[member="Liliane Lancaster"]

To be technically fair, although you have a point, most of those groups you mentioned began as faction (in canon) specific groups. The Jedi canonically belong to the Galactic Republic (or its later incarnations), the Sith to the Sith/Galactic Empire, the Witches (of Dathomir). They didn't become generic until they were here in Chaos, and multiple factions began hosting their own version of the Jedi or Witches or whatever.

If you were to continue down that line of thinking, we could simply say that any tags besides Jedi, Dark Jedi and neutral are superfluous and need not exist. Witches, Sith, Rogues, etc can properly fit into any of the three tags based on alignment, which is a better way to distinguish than their specific qualities, right? I mean, Sith and Dark Jedi are just dark force users, right? Witches could be dark, or light or neutral, depending on how the character is played. And rogues could use the light jedi or neutral tags, depending on their alignment, too.

Except we do have tags for specific groups. And that's okay. I think the question has been mostly settled, the Knights of Ren need to grow a bigger population and demonstrate their unique angle here on Chaos. That should settle the question of whether they are an established part of Chaos lore. But they won't stop being a niche group, undeserving of rank tags, until one important group says so, our staff. Until that day, rationalizing and minimizing their importance is irrelevant in the greater scheme, and it'd be better to focus your energies elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom