Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Journal of the Fire Princess

In the Darkness there is Truth
((Written from Soteria's point of view, continuation of the story started here))

I have always been a huntress. My people are natural predators. Our world is harsh, so we learn to be strong. Our canine teeth are sharp so that we can kill thimiars, our primary prey. But we do so painlessly. Only a savage draws out their prey's suffering, especially when the prey is weaker than you. Only a coward puffs himself up and gloats over an easy triumph over a weaker being. My initiation rite was stalking and slaying an akul together with a batch of young hunters like me. It was a fierce battle. The beast was strong and huge, so we had to use cunning to bring it down. Even with it, our victory was hard fought. The kill was a cause of celebration. But we respected our foe. I still wear its teeth.

Other hunts have followed since then - of beasts and sentients. These men, however, do not respect their prey. "Heavy footprints. They either wore heavy armour, are large or both. They come from the bushes" I bend down to examine the dead nexu. My hand traces the ghastly wound. "High-impact shot. And another one here. She did not die right away. The shooter was either incompetent, or wanted to draw out her suffering."

My hand touches the hole inside her. "It would have struck her even before she heard it tear through the air. They did not give her a chance." My disgust rises. I examine some stains on the grass. "Nexu," I conclude after tasting it.
"Four speeders. They hid," Evangalus speaks as he joins me in front of the carcass. He is not Leonina, but the Zabrak is capable, diligent and fierce.

More blood can be found staining the grass further away. "This is not hers."
"The cubs," Evangalus opines.
"Trophies for them to show off and cage. I wonder how they would enjoy being locked in a zoo or thrown into a arena for others to gawk at?" As I examine the grass, I come across a piece of flesh. I pick it up and sniff, then taste it. "Human. It looks like it was ripped off." I lock eyes with Evangalus. "The cub struggled when it was taken."

"These fat cowards come from their comfortable homes to prey on the weak. The mother Nexu never stood a chance, shot from the bushes, her defenceless cubs stolen. If only these weaklings knew the true danger in these jungles comes not from the fangs of the Nexu, but the blades of a Sith."

"They will know what it means to be afraid, Master," he affirms.
My eyes are ablaze. "I will gut them all, all but one. That one I will show the true way of the jungle to. They will learn a lesson about abusing the weak when you do not have the strength to defeat the strong also."
"I found plastic bottles in the bushes, Master. They will not have travelled far. They would celebrate their great victory." Disgust rolls off his tongue.

Nature always find a way. She is a harsh mistress, and she ruthlessly punished complacency. The two of us take off. We follow the footprints, the disturbed ground and the stench of carcasses that have been carelessly shot and left to rot in the sun.

Eventually, we follow the loud music and the smell of barbecued meat. It is getting dark by the time we find the camp. Truth be told, to call it a camp would be an insult to any proper base camp established by hunters. But then these men are poseurs. Their perimeter security is poor. Even from this distance, I can smell the waft of liquor.

Evangalus and I creep towards the camp. Darkness is our cover, as is the laxness of our quarry. A few of them are surrounded by a fire. Cubs are being held in cages. All bar one. It has been muzzled and chained. The poor thing whines as one of these pathetic excuses for hunters prods it with a cattle prod. One of his comrades in degeneracy is taking pictures. Their faces are flushed with liquor.

"Come on, lil one, don't be like that," he gloats to the frightened, angry cub, slurring his words. "I'm your new daddy." Then he yelps when it manages to claw him. Angrily, he prods it. "Frakking animal! Did you see that?"
"Don't be a baby, Stan," one of his comrades says.
"Stupid thing will know who's boss. Hey, Jason, are you watching the meat? I want my steak."

I have no special need to save the animals. They may be useful to me though. However, it is these weak, soft beings with their technology which insult me. It is for that reason that they shall be punished. "Sabotage their vehicles," I whisper. Wordlessly, Evangalus slips away while I creep closer, keeping my body low. When I hear the thumping of boots on the ground, I quickly climb up a tree looming above them.

"Man, this job sucks," a sentry opines. It is the impotent whine of a craven creature.
"What's wrong with it? All we gotta do is guard the boss while he goes on safari. And look at the trophies we got. Always impresses the chicks."
"Yeah, and our boss is a pompous arse. The pay could also be better."
"Of course, he is. He's rich. But it's an easy gig and the booze is good. Way better than that assignment we had with Komad."
"Oh, don't get me started on him on that guy. Always..."
He does not get to finish the sentence. Indeed, he does not get to say anything at all as I pounce. He raises his rifle, but his arm has already been reduced to a stump. My other blade is thrust through his open mouth. He crumbles to the ground. His comrade is already on the ground.

Twin lightsabres in hand, both glowing a fiery crimson, I set to work. There is no need for subtlety and feel no desire for it. Smoke rises from the barbeque, and shouts fill the air across the camp.

The hunters around the camp fire stagger as they scramble to defend themselves. Blasters and slugthrowers are drawn. Their leader drops the chained cub. He reeks of fear. Gunfire raines down upon me. I am a blur of movement. Some bolts I cut out of the air with my lightsabre, others I evade outright. A few slam into me. I press on undaunted. The burns are welcome.

Some fall when the blasters are wrenched from their grasp and I cut them down. Others die from reflected shots. One of them I lift up and throw into their barbecue grill. He screams in agony. Their leader runs. So does what is left of his motley party. I take my time, giving them just a few seconds.

The speeder will not start, and Evangalus falls upon them. The screams resonate through the air. Their leader backs away, panting heavily. He is not used to running for his life. He faces me, and for just a moment desperation gives this cretin a modicrum of courage. Bringing up his oversized shotgun, he fires as I charge. It is as loud as a cannon. Pain explodes inside me as I am struck. It is like being hit by a speeder.

But I can take it. Blood drips from my robes. I fall, and he levels his gun. He makes the classic mistake - waiting for it to recharge. My wound is already healing. Evangalus has him in his sights, but she knows better than to intrude. He fires, and I am no longer there. As I leap, he searches the dark sky for me.

I land with feline grace. "Behind you." Abruptly, he spins around. But ere he can level his weapon at me, it is already in my grasp and it is my mind that pulls the trigger - while it is aimed at the ground his feet stand on. He jumps with shock and the weapon tumbles to the ground. My hand wraps around his throat and I lift him up. My grip tightens around his windpipe as he struggles for oxygen. He crumples like a sack of potatoes when he falls.

"No! Mercy! Please. Who are you?"
"Nature's wroth. But you can call me Darth Soteria."
"A Sith? Frak. Look, I got no quarrel with you guys. Hell, I do business with the Empire. I..."
I grow tired of his bleating. "I am not associated with the Empire." That he would mistake me for one of its minions is enough reason for me to feel disgusted.
"Alright, alright, Lady...Lord. Surely we can work something out. What do you want? Money? I'm rich. Hell, you can get shares in company, I promise. Just..."
He reeks. I can smell the sweat, the fear and the piss he has soiled his pants with. I step closer.
"I want you to learn a lesson. I want you to know what it is like to have everything stripped from you and struggle for your life, when it is just you with your back to the wall. No toys, no minions, no wealth - just you and your will to endure. I want you to know what it is like to be hunted."

Understanding dawns upon him. Shock is written across his features. "What? This is all about that nexu? It was just an animal!"
My boot knocks teeth out when it connects. "And you did not respect your prey. You wanted to show off and did not even afford it the dignity of facing it in a true contest of skill. You are a weak, slothful being, but you strut around like an arrogant peacok until the darkness closes around you. So you will lose everything but your underwear and be cast into the jungle."
"B-but...but," the cretin struggles to form words. "I'll die. I have family!"
"If you survive, you will be the stronger for it. If not, you are no loss to the cosmos." I can sense Evangelia approach.
"Any other survivors?"
"They ran, they died," he says nonchalantly. "Except for the one who got barbecued. His arm was cooked."
"He'll do. Free the cubs. Give them meat." My eyes never leave the cretin. "You shall watch." He is compliant after that. His comrade gets to watch his boss be as meek as a lamb and not a raise a finger to aid him.

His meat is still warm. Evangalus opens the cages. The nexu are wary and frightened. The cub who was being prodded pounces the leader. He screams. "Get off him," I command. "He will learn his lesson." The Force is strong my words as I reach out. Eventually, the little one relents. His face is marked by its claws and teeth.

The little cub hisses. I stretch out my hand, holding the arm of his barbecued comrade. "Yours," I speak softly, as if talking to a child. "Feast on it. Feast on them all, except him." The cub sniffs, then she seizes the meat. Her siblings join her. Once she is done, I pick her up. I stroke the cub's head. "It is only for a while. Soon you will be free and fierce." It is easier to transport them in the cage, so they go there. The last of the gang watches while his comrades become food. I do not deign to learn his name. He has not earned one. Then we make him strip down and force a blindfold on him. Only his private parts remain covered. I take his comm and toss his credits into the crackling fireplace.

"Move,"
"Are you sure we..." the growls and hisses of the Nexu cut him off. "Alright, alright!" He makes for a pathetic sight. We drag him through the jungle for quite a while.
He stumbles more than a few times. Each time he halts his lackluster strude, he greedily sucks in air, panting heavily. He is soaked in sweat. "My feet are being cut. It hurts. And mosquitoes are biting me."
I throw him to the ground.
"The nearest settlement is thirty miles to the north."
"You're really just going to leave me here? I've got no clothes, no speeder...no weapons? Can't you at least leave me a pistol?"
"Learn how to improvise. Learn how to be a Nexu, or remain a sheep and perish." Without a further word, I turn away. I can hear his bleating and whining for quite a while, until it is finally swallowed by the darkness. I take the cage in hand and give Evangelia a nod. At the press of a button on the detonator, the camp goes up in flames. As plumes of smoke rise into the dark sky, my datapad beeps.

I take it and read the message. Then I read it again. "Leonina is travelling to Dahomey."
"Your former apprentice."
"She has never stopped being my apprentice. She merely needs to be a taught a lesson."
"Then let me administer it, Master. I will show her the price of defying you." Is it jealousy I hear in Evangalus' words?
"No, you won't touch a hair on her head. I will confront her and I will break her so that she will finally see the truth and be free from her shackles."

((Continuation of the story started here and continued here))

It has been more than two decades since I first came to Dahomey. Back then it was a planet still in the grip of the Dark Ages. Tegaea and I led Omega Pyre to topple the slavers and warlords that plagued it. We set the slaves free and, more importantly, did not forget about them the moment the holocameras were switched off and we had stopped patting each other in the back. It was the Pyre's first campaign. Dahomey got infrastructure, security and development. It joined the Protectorate as a proud member. I spent my honeymoon here.

Now the Omega Protectorate has been put to the pyre. I do not mourn it. Most of its Protectors have faded away into the annals of history. I am still here. I have outlived and outgrown it. Firemane stands tall. Yet sometimes...it feels like I am drowning in time. As the yacht makes its descent and Harmony fusses over my hair and does my makeup, I scrutinise my features in the mirror. The dye conceals the grey streaks in my firemane. But scars are etched in my face. They are harsh, white lines born of struggle, of victory and defeat. Sometimes my back pains me. The limp is still there.

I am not who used to be. That young woman was spirited, brave and foolish. Always ready to throw herself into every skirmish for a good cause and take the fight to any Sith or Imperial warlord. Oh, to be so young again...and so naive. She thought she could make the galaxy a better place if she just chopped up enough arch-villains. Perhaps if she had grown up sooner, she could have been more than someone else's battering ram. Sometimes I cannot help but wonder what she would think of me. When I look into Elpsis' white, lifeless eyes, I see her.

It does not matter. There is no point in dwelling upon what ifs. It breeds indecisiveness. "There, Lady Mistress," Harmony says in that sweet voice of hers.
I arise from the chair, and pose a bit. "How do I look?"
"Magisterial, Lady Mistress, as always."
I raise an eyebrow. "Only magisterial?" my tone is teasing. "I was aiming for queenly. Are you saying you cannot make your Queen look like one?"
She chuckles. "Like a Dahomian queen ready to receive tribute."
"Then let us see what offerings my loyal subjects shall lay at my feet." I wear no crown and bear no royal title, but I am queen in all but name. My people are my responsibility.

As I begin to walk, my gait is slower than I would like. Standing for long will hurt. It does not matter. Harmony takes notice because of course she does. She clears her throat. "Would you, uh, like your cane, Lady Mistress?" she asks gently.
I shake my head promptly. "No. Let that thing stay here."
"It is a very nice cane, Lady Mistress."
"And unseemly." To be visibly dependent on it shows vulnerability. A leader cannot appear to have ailments. Kerrigan is more than a person; she is a symbol to her people. The private person must take a backseat behind it. "I have the Force. It will make me walk without difficulty. I don't need that."
"As you wish, Lady Mistress. With your permission, I could hide it away and keep it in reach for you...if you need it."
The denial is on my lips, then I nod. "Yes, I do that." With a casual wave of my hand, my unignited lightsabre flies into my hand and I strap it to my belt. Harmony falls in line next to me and tucks a stray lock of my hair away.
"Thank you." But there is something else about her. I see it in her eyes. "Is there something on your mind, Harmony?"
"It is about the...rebels from Umlaza, Lady Mistress," she says gently.
"The court has read its verdict," I respond. "The ringleaders will be shot. Lesser offenders incarcerated. Their case may be reviewed, depending on their comportment."
"Yes, Lady Mistress, I know. But there has been a plea for clemency from their tribe's chieftain. He requested I..."
"Bring it to my attention because your tribes are kin."
"I know they're no angels, Lady Mistress."
"That is putting it lightly, considering they destroyed Firemane property and murdered Firemane employees, even fellow Dahomians. People who did them no wrong. They killed; they looted."

"I know and I will not excuse that...but it is on District Officer Gallaghan that they were pushed that far. He was extorting them. All that money that was supposed to go into development went into his pockets, while he squeezed them dry. You've seen the interviews."
By the time we learned the true course of events, the flame had already been lit. I had to bring down the hammer. My tone projects a certainty I do not feel. I cannot appear weak to anyone. "I am aware," I respond sharply, "and there is a system in place to deal with corruption in the ranks. They should have gone through the proper channels. Then justice would have been served. Instead they turned it into a vendetta."

Would I have trusted a system that cheated me in the first place? No. I am a hypocrite, but I must look beyond my personal feelings. There is a system. Even I cannot ignore my own rules. Otherwise the whole foundation will crumble. There is no one else to wear the crown. To Tegaea leadership is a diversion. Something she seeks out when she grows bored with a life of leisure, but not a calling. She is unsuitable. Kaylah is a bureaucrat who lives for statistics and graphs.

"I have sympathy for them. Truly, I do, but they broke the law. But however understandable their motivations, they turned to banditry and terrorism. I have a responsibility to my employees, who lost friends and loved ones. There's a big picture here."
She opens her mouth, then closes, nods. Her disappointment is plain. Younger me was ruled by sentiment. I cannot be. No matter how much I dislike upsetting her.

"Yes, Lady Mistress."
I pat her hand. "DO Gallaghan will not go unpunished."
"But there will be no trial."
"Not a public one. It would undermine us. But I will make an example of him." It will not be pretty. Perhaps I should give him to Freya. My voice softens. "I assure you."
She looks unhappy, but reluctantly accepting. "You're a woman of your word, Lady Mistress." That is what Firetruth says. Sometimes I believe it.
"Convey it to the chieftain through your...channels. Make sure they get the message - both of them. And I will make a donation out of my own purse to help the tribe." In other words, I will buy them off. My chrono beeps. It is time. "Let's go."

Hunter is already waiting outside. He is a child of Dahomey, like Harmony. He is shot a shiny uniform. It makes him look...good. He gives me a crisp salute. "Ready to move, ma'am. Looks like it's a big circus outside. Journos, politicos. Security reports no disturbances."
"Good. I see you're all dressed up. You know I like a handsome man in uniform...."
"I know you like the boots, ma'am."
"I would usually rather be the one wearing them, but they look good on you too."
"I aim to please."
I ran a hand over his shoulder. "Oh I know you do...."
Harmony clears her throat. "Uhh, Lady Mistress, we might want to move on so we're not late?"
"Being fashionably late is my prerogative." Nonetheless, I head to the landing ramp. Time to smile for the cameras.

Unsurprisingly, Hunter's description is very accurate. It is indeed a circus outside. There are journalists, politicians, security and hangers-on as far as the eye can see. I smile, wave, shake hands and say platitudes or plain ignore this or that person bleating for my attention. Then I take my seat. There are speeches - about sustainable development, partnership, about remembering those who gave their lives for freedom. Some have more merit than others. It goes and on, and it fades into the background.

At long last, it is time to cut the ribbon and I am called to do the honours. I arise...and there is something nagging at the back of my mind. I cannot quite place it. "My friends, it is a great pleasure to be on Dahomey again. Ever since we fought together to rid this world of the slaver scum, my family has had a strong bond with Dahomey, and this bond has endured throughout the decades, no matter what fate has thrown at us," I begin.

"But we are not here for me, but to honour a great patriot. Saviour was no Master of the Force, no queen or warrior. But she was a hero. Enslaved from birth, she fled her captors. But once she had attained her freedom, she did not look away. Instead she returned again and again to the mines and plantations to help slaves escape. In the end, she gave her life for them. But she never lost a single fugitive." The sensation does not leave me. There is something out there.

"Saviour knew the risks, but she did not compromise. She knew there is no compromise with tyrants. Saviour did not get to see the new Dahomey built by free women and men. But her indomitable spirit lives on with us. The Saviour Gate Spaceport will be a gateway for peaceful trade and tourism. It will provide job opportunities for countless Dahomians." My Force senses prickle. I pause. I feel darkness, malice and hatred. The presence looms large. Something is wrong. It is like a sharp shard has struck me.

"But we are not only thinking of commerce. Part of the revenue will go towards maintaining the Wildhome Planetary Preserve. Dahomey is a beautiful world. Firemane is committed to maintaining its wild life." I ping Hunter.
His voice crackles through my earpiece. "What is it, ma'am?" he asks, concerned.
"Code Eclipse. Get them out of here and send for backup. Do it now." Then it begins.

((Continuation of the story started here and continued here and here))

I love Dahomey.

It's developed, but I can go places without seeing a McYoda's or a supermarket at every corner. The air is fresh, and wildlife is abundant. The people are honest and brave. Sure, many have away from the wilds to Abomey now, but enough appreciate what Mother Earth has given them. And it's where Tempest is from.

So here we are in the Wildhome Planetary Preserve. I threw some money at the park to help fund it. Not like I really use my trust fund for much of anything. Mother could not complain since we're sponsoring it. Helping preserve Dahomey's natural beauty and its animals is a better cause than wasting money on silks, yachts and speeders.

We? That's Purity, Reverence and me. Purity is Tempest's cousin, the resident nerd and tech whiz. Reverence is from my platoon. Reminds me a bit of myself before, well, everything. The wind brushes against my skin as I steer the speeder. I keep it at a sedate pace. Don't want to unnerve any of the animals. It's one of those vehicles designed for fuel efficiency."Enjoying tour time back home, huh?" I ask the two. Both of them are from Dahomey, but young enough they have few memories of the old days of slavers and warlords. They make me feel old sometimes, even though Purity and I are about the same age.

"I am, ma'am. This brings back memories. Been a lot of cold or air conditioned places recently. That real tropical heat," Reverence says, and laughs.
"It is beautiful, but so hot. I prefer it a bit milder," Purity echoes her words.
"Oh, so you want to be somewhere cooler? How about, um, Belsavis? Hear there's Rakata ruins. Mother would love another giant floating pyramid."
"I like the cold even less than the heat," Purity says primly.
"Your cousin really hates the cold. Tempest could not stop complaining on that one time Mother sent us to Midvinter. Fortunately, I was there. Personally, I like the heat."
"I figured. Won't take long, and you'll tan up well," Reverence jokes.
"I think Tygara has the best balance. Now that I think about it, isn't it rather strange that there are so many planets with a more or less homogenous climate?"
Reverence looks at me. "You can the gears moving in her brain, can't you?"
"Loud and clear. They're practically humming."
"I am serious. Hoth is a snow planet, Endor a temperate forest planet and Tatooine is a desert world. Why do so many have one terrain type without regard to latitudinal variations?" she declares a bit indignantly.
"The Force?" I ask rhetorically. "We're not making fun of you, Purity."
"Just a little bit," Reverence adds because of course she does.
"You're a smart girl. Smarter than both of us put together."
I cannot see colours, but I'm certain she blushes. "Thank you. I'm not a warrior like either of you, but, um, I like to think I help. I did develop that algorithm for the park."

"That you did," I agree. "It's gonna be a great help to the rangers to keep track of the animals."
"Speaking of techie stuff, Purity, enjoying the camera work the Third Pillar makes you do?"
If she was blushing before, now she is scarlet red. "I...well, it is, uh, interesting."
"What's the Third Pillar?" Reverence asks.
"I'll tell you when you're older."
"I'm old enough to shoot, drink and get maimed, ma'am. Is it some kinda club?"
"When you're older, Private." It's not a club I'm really interested in being part of anymore. I liked the glamour at first, but it's not me. Too many aristos. Besides, my mothers run it.

"Hey slow dow," Purity urges and I oblige her as we pass some some Nexu. The two take pictures.
"They're everywhere these days," Reverence remarks. "But they're not native to Dahomey. Wonder how they got here."
"I'd put my money on the slavers. I've read accounts of them being used to run down fugitive slaves."
"Good thing these ones are free then, instead of being misused," I throw in. "Still not the queens of the jungle. That goes to the Cylix."
"Technically, the Kardok are our apex predators, ma'am," Reverence points oh-so innocently.
I wave my hand. "Technicalities. The Cylix are best, and it's good people here are taking steps to protect them."

We drive past the high savannah grass. As far as the naked eye can see, we are the only people around. We pass some Banthas and what Reverence swears is a Tanalaak - a sloth-like creature that can deliver a nasty swipe with its claws - hiding in a tree. The tall grass blows in the wind. The atmosphere is serene, almost tranquil. But nature is not all flowers and peace.

My Senses flare, and a psychic cry of pain hits me. I shake my head. "I felt a disturbance in the Force. Are the instruments showing you anything?" I ask because I cannot read what the computer says.
"Yes, over there," Purity steers me in the right direction. As we get closer, I see what the Force was telling me about. The speeder comes to a halt and we disembark. A Ranger is kneeling on the ground while her colleague stands watch. Beneath them lies a wailing Cylix. The majestic predator is badly wounded, and blood drips out.

"Auntie Protector!" Reverence calls out.
"Reverence, what did I tell you about leaving the vehicle?"
"I'm just...keeping my CO from getting eaten, since she got out first. What happened here? Poachers?" she asks as she gets closer.
"No, look at the marks," the Ranger who is apparently called Protector says, indicating. "Claw marks. Got into a fight over a female with another male. He doesn't have long."
"That's...brutal," Purity sounds like she is feeling a bit sick.
"It's nature," I say softly. Bending down, I kneel before the Cylix. My hand reaches out to touch the marks. They are vicious. He's a big, strong, beautiful one He must have given his opponent a good fight.
"Surely you can heal him, right, Elpsis?" Purity asks.
I shake my head quickly. "No, no, I can't heal." There was a time when I could. I was decent at it. Nowhere near as good as my birth mother, Coryth, but still. Then came Matsu, and then Tephrike. But maybe there was a lesson there. "And his death is part of the cycle."
"But we can still save him. Get an ambulance and give him medical attention."
"It's part of natural cycle," I tell her calmly, but firmly. "He had a fight with another predator; he was not struck by a poacher. It's his time now. But I can soothe his pain."
"Let him die peacefully," the Ranger speaks in affirmation.

The Cylix grunts when my fingers touch his wounds. There is a glow around my hands. "You've struggled long and fought many battles. Now is your time to rest," I say softly. Death is not the end. We return to the Lifeweb, and are reincarnated. His soul will live on, in one form another. He grunts loudly. I stroke his fur. Slowly, he calms as my mind touches his.
For a moment I am elsewhere. I see him on the veldt, glorious and fierce. There is a coppery taste in my mouth when he ambushes his prey. I share in his battles for dominance, his defence of his mate from hunters, spawning of young and his final fight. I wince when I feel the sharp claws tear through his flesh, but I don't stop, silently humming a Dahomian lullaby. Then he is quiet.

"That was a good deed you did," the Ranger says. She looks at Purity. "It's harsh, girl, I know, but it's life. We protect the animals from outside threats, and make sure they have a space to live in and tourists don't mess things up. But we don't intervene in their lives."
"No one's ever truly gone," I get up. "How are things anyway? Have you guys got enough funding?"
Protector shrugs. "I'm not the one counting the profit margins, but Firemane's been pouring in money. And I've been told we recently got a large anonymous donation." I say nothing in response to that.
"What about poachers?" Reverence throws in.
"You just want a reason to go all G.I. Jaina on some idiot hunter, am I right? There was a group a couple weeks ago, but we dealt with them."
"Hope you made them walk in their own traps," I say.
"You're a vicious one, aren't you?" she gives me a look. "Right now most of our problems are idiot tourists racing in their exhaust spewing speeders and leaving their plastic lying around or walking into a Cylix' jaws. And pests." Her colleague carries a few dead rabbits. "You want some?"

The kills are fresh. Purity's aura shows naked horror at the sight. "Umm...I'd prefer it when it's cooked thanks and not with the fur."
"I think we can make a set of gloves out of this, ma'am, maybe get some good meat out of it," Reverence teases.
"Not funny," she grumbles, looking away.
"I'll take one," I say eagerly. "Been dying for some real meat."
"There's supermarkets, you know," Purity points out.
"Yeah, but I don't buy meat. I don't like the way the big farms treat their animals. It's cruel and disrespectful.
"So where do you get it then?"
"I hunt - sustainably. No Force powers, no tech beyond a reliable hunting rifle or a bow. When that's on an option, I go vegetarian."
"I used to hunt a lot," Reverence chimes in. "Now not so much. Hard to find game on the Arx, and people would look at my weird."
I snort. "People like meat, but they don't wanna think about where it's from or how gets on their plate. Anyway..." Then I feel a sharp pain in my skull and stagger. The others seem to be trying to reach me, but their words seem so distant they might as well be miles away. I hear blasterfire, screams and the hum of lightsabres clashing. I smell burnt flesh and taste blood on my tongue. I hear her cry out in pain.
"You ok, Elpsis? What happened?" Purity asks anxiously, standing above me.
"Give her some space, girl," Protector orders her, helping me up.
I must have been out for a couple seconds, but my legs feel wobbly. "I need to go. Siobhan...Mother's in trouble. Save the rabbit for later." The words leave my words as fast as bolts do a repeater.
"Let me come with you, ma'am." There is a fire inside Reverence. "I'll watch your back."
"No, call for backup. Let HQ know there's trouble. A lot." Before she can make a response, I get into the speeder and take off at top speed. Little do I know that I'm going to be too late.

((Continuation of the story started here and continued here, here and here))

In a word, it is pandaemonium. The spaceport is rocked with explosions. The Force shields me and those closest to me, but the blast wave knocks me down. The air is clogged with smoke and debris. The smoke stings my eyes and makes me cough when I inhale it. The old injury in my leg flares up when I rise. But I do nonetheless. It does not matter. I close my eyes, and push the smoke away. My vision clears. Before the delegates, journalists and so on can be shepherded out, the enemy strikes. Their black armour is nondescript and bears no insignia. Doubtless it has camo of some form. Maybe Reflec coating. Hunter rallies the Firemane soldiers on the premise and they return.

I'l admit, the attack has made this engagement a bit more interesting. It also reveals a colossal screwup on the part of security for letting them get past the perimeter walls. When I'm done here, heads will roll. Possibly literally. For now, I must deal with whoever is shooting at us. The air is filled with blaster and slugthrower fire, as well as cries of pain. Guests and guards have fallen. Their blood drips out onto the ground. I draw Rebirth and its purple blade ignites with a hiss.

My body is not as strong or fast as it once was, but my motions are still seamless. Rebirth slashes blaster bolts out of the air, deflecting them away from guests. But whoever these attackers are, they have enough sense to realise blasters are a poor weapon against Force-Users. So they have brought slugthrowers - special ones, as it turns out. I realise this when, on instinct, my blade cuts through a round shooting towards them. The metal inside it seems to explode. Shrapnel cuts me, and my face feels like it has beeen puched with hot metal. My ears are ringing. Blood drips down my cheek from a cut. I grit my teeth at the pain. It is just weakness leaving the body. My dress has armourweave, but that only offers negligible protection. Lightsabres are poor against slugs and these seem high-calibre, so I use the Force.

As the attackers hurl slugs at me, I stretch out with my senses and expand my focus. The Force is not a cosmic entity dictating my actions. That is just superstition. It is the inner flame I can tap into. It is through my will that I use it to shape the world around me. I feel a slug graze my left forearm. There is a burn. The Force flows through me and the slugs stop, hanging in mid-air as if frozen. The slugs fall to the ground.

My willpower wraps around several of the rifles to crush them, and shooters start dying. Some die when shrapnel is driven through their neck joints. In the case of others, I crush their windpipes or send them flying with enough force to break their bones. I can see Hunter coldly and efficiently dispatching attackers with his Magnetic Repeater as I advance into the fray. My blade hums a song of destruction when I carve through assailants.

Is this really all? It is almost insulting.

Then the Force screams and I see her.

The Togruta is holding her crimson sabre inches away from Harmony's throat. Her eyes are grey and her gaze is fierce. She is clad in robes that appear to incorporate some armour. Harmony looks frightened. My blood burns with rage. "Let her go before I crush you," My words are ice. It is no idle threat. If she hurts my friend, her death will be agonising. A weak-kneed Jedi would spout platitudes about how no on needs to get hurt. Maybe even put her sabre down - and thus get everyone killed. That is why they get purged all the time. I am no Jedi. Hunter pings me. I sense he is close. Doubtless he has a shot lined up. But is it a clear one?

Her answer is not what I expect. "Where is Leonina?"
What does she want with her? It doesn't matter. My face is carved out of granite. "Not here. You got her boss. Identity yourself."
She seems to scrutinise me. It is like a predator sizing another one up. Her aura radiates power. A Sith, no doubt. Whatever, she will suffer. "Then you will do."
"Ma'am?" I hear Hunter. Get Harmony, kill the minions. I'll deal with the Sith, I respond in his mind. A queen is no queen if she does not have the strength or will to protect her subjects.
"You will face me honourably, or your pets will pay the price and know you for the fraud you are." Ere I can respond, it all happens in a blur. The Togruta pushes Harmony away towards a minion, and charges with an animalistic howl. She launches herself at me, moving with near blinding speed and swiftness.

Lightning bursts from my hand. Tendrils of brilliant blue energy cross the distance and surge across her skin. Some of it is caught by her lightsabre and reflected back at me. I wince as I feel it dance across my body, but I ramp it up. She grunts and her limbs convulse. A normal sentient would have experienced cardiac arrest right about now. But the Sith keeps coming. The storm of lightning does not slow her down for even a moment. Her scarlet blade sweeps towards me in a powerful slash, coming for my hand. I draw back and Rebirth rises to meet hers. Fortunately, a crossguard sabre is better at protecting your hand. I intercept her blade and the energy of the Force flows through me to strike...

And I feel a searing burn for while I was occupied, she drew a shoto and thrust its tip towards my abdomen. Movement and the armourweave inside my dress has deflected it somewhat, but her stab has penetrated. Smoke coils from my dress and I smell barbecued flesh. In my moment of distraction, she rams her boot into my knee. Maybe she has a way of sensing the injury, but the Force kick happens to go for my bad leg. This is not pleasant, to say the least.

The strike sends white-hot agony through my leg. It also ignites rage inside me. I stumble and fall to the ground. Her strike is not long in coming, but I roll away and strike. The storm of rage inside me explodes, and I slam my power into her. The telekinetic blast knocks her off and her feet and sends her flying - with the force of a speeder collision.

I get to my feet while she crashes against a wall, causing it to crumble when she falls through it. The bricks fall, and smoke rises. I breathe heavily, and sweat drips down my brow. My leg feels shaky, but I stand. Distance is my advantage, and I cannot let it go to waste. Reaching out with the Force, I wrap a gigantic telekinetic hand around her torso. Then I squeeze - very hard. I want to snap her bones like twigs and see her broken and humbled before me. She screams in agony. I hear a rib break. My grip around her tightens, constricting her movement and breathing. Another rib breaks. She drops down to a one knee. I lift her up into the air, and then slam her back into the ground.

She roars like a cornered, wounded animal. Then suddenly her eyes start to glow and twin beams shoot from them. What manner of power is this? The beams shoot towards me at tremendous speed. Even from afar I can feel the sheer heat emanating from them. Hastily, I summon a barrier. But there is not little time. The beams hit the barrier. It is not enough. It is too weak. The barrier explodes, and I burn.

((Continuation of the story started here and continued here, here, here and here))

The beams that erupted from her eyes hits my shield. My face burns. My eyes feel like they are being burnt out, then the light leaves them. I see...darkness. It swallows me. I have at times wondered what Elpsis sees when she looks at the world around her. Now I know. I no longer feel Rebirth's hilt in hand. It must have fallen from my grasp. My chest pains me. It feels like being pierced by sharp needles. My chest tightens and I gasp for air. That heart condition never went away. It does not matter. I will not be brought down by something so...pedestrian and humiliating.

Rage builds up inside me. I can no longer see the Sith. But I can still sense and hear her. I just need to follow the tendrils of the Force...and direct the rage inside me to their source. I hear her advance towards me - and her groans pain and what must be tiredness. She is not unscathed either. I raise both my hands and a storm of tendrils erupts from my fingertips, surging through the air to cross the distance towards her. Force Drain cannot be taught like Lightning or Telekinesis; it is learned through experience. I am very hungry and I want to gourge myself on her.

The tendrils connect and I eat through her shield. I hear her growl in anguish, and for a moment I feel invigorated. The tightness in my chest seems to recede, as does the pain in my leg. My vision seems to improve. In the darkness, I can perceive her blurry shape and crimson aura. It feels good to know she is in pain. I vaguely hear something sail through the air. Too late do I realise what it is. Then white-hot pain explodes in my leg as it cuts through it. Her shoto. The smell of burning flesh wafts into my nose and I clutch my wounded leg.

She is approaching - slowly. I gasp for air. Telekinetic power builds up inside me. I can still vaguely perceive her shape. She is wounded. I feel her pain and her fury. I let it fuel me. I slam the power of my mind into her. I cannot really see her body. But I can envisage an action, and will it into being. My body fails me, but my willpower will not. And right now, I imagine her lung collapsing. And so it does. I know what a collapsed lung feels like. Like a sharp, stabbing pain in your chest. The pain grows worse when you breathe. She howls in anguish. I cannot give her a respite. I will the Force to deliver a terrible blow against her skull.

She roars. Loud enough for the ground to shake. It is like the howl of an enraged animal and it slams into me like a shockwave. It knocks the wind out of me. My chest explodes in pain and my head is left spinning. It thunders inside my head. My eardrums feel like they are bursting, and blood seeps out. I cannot see and barely hear anything. I throw another telekinetic blow at her. Stonewalled. She is close. The Force screams a warning inside my mind. I feel her coming closer. There is a sharp stab inside my chest. I fumble about, like a blind woman in the dark. I cannot pull back and I cannot take off into the sky and rain destruction upon her.

My chest feels like it is burning. Only one move left. I fumble and my fingers manage to wrap around the pendant on my neck. In truth, it is a hold-out bolter. I smell ozone - her lightsabre is closing in - and fire. Boom. Buckshot sprays her. Judging from the cry of anguish, I must have hit her montrals. Maybe I have blown it off. That would be nice. There is no time to reload. I summon the Force, but she is faster. She thrusts, and the armourweave is no protection against a direct strike. Burning agony surges through me as the tip of her blade pierces my chest. I am down on the ground. What little vision the Force gives me has left my eyes.

Then suddenly I feel her hand touch my flesh and dark power surges through. The pain recedes. Why? Dimly, I hear her. "Do you yield?" her voice is laboured and she coughs badly.
"Frak off," I spit blood. What vestigial energy I have summons lightning. It is a feeble attack, but I will not go down like a craven.
Then the agony is back as she stabs again. "Then you have chosen ignorance." This time she does not stop with the tip. As the blade pushes inside me, I hear gunfire and the roar of engines. Then it is all black.

((Continuation of the story started here and continued here, here, here, here and here))

I'm racing at top speed. Mother hasn't replied to any of my messages. Am I too late? Smoke's in the air. The vibes aren't great. I feel the violence, the rage and the suffering. They grow more potent the closer I get to the spaceport. I can't be too late. I can't. Mother won't thank me, of course. Mum may give me token thanks, then go back to focusing Mother and on her fun. But I'm not doing this for credit. Or anyone's affection. Duty calls. I'm coming, Mother. Like you did when you sent that monster who dares to call myself my dad to hell and ripped that pathetic piece of chit's spine out.

I sense the shadow from afar before I see her. There's fires everywhere, along with dead bodies. Our boys are trading heavy fire with a horde of goons I don't know. And then I see her. She's down on the ground. The vibes I get from her aren't good. She's down on the ground. Beaten. I've...never seen her like this. I feel her agony and the burning heat surging through her.

A dark presence stands above her, blade driven through her. I kick the engines into overdrive. Frak, I'm coming, Mother. Just hold, just hold. Lifeweb, don't call her to you yet. Give me strength. As my speeder roars towards the ruins, I hear Reaper shotgun fire. Those shards tear through flesh. I sense Hunter behind some cover. Good man. The Sith seems to reel under the sudden bombardment, staggering. Then she lashes out viciously.

There's nothing I can do to stop the huge telekinetic blast she sends his way. I can only pray he's fine...and use the seconds he bought me to kick this baby's engines like never before and sent it shooting right towards whoever the hell she is. I crash right into her. Ever been hit by a speeder at top speed? Lemme tell you, it ain't fun. Leaving aside the obvious, there's internal bleeding, broken bones and so on.

She only has like a second to react before I crash her. Not enough to dodge - I'm guessing Mother slammed her down hard before going down. But sparks fly as her lightsabre cuts through some machinery. The speeder stops. I jump off mid-crash, holding my Cylix Bolt Pistol. I land hard on the ground. There's gonna be bruises after this. My leg's quite vocal about being pissed with me. I've learned to take the pain. Mother is not gentle in her training. Nor is the Jedi Inquisition in its brainwashing camp. Sucks that I have no armour though. Just shorts and tank top. It's like a bad movie.

The crash has thrown her back a good portion. Her breathing is heavy. She seems to be coughing and spitting up blood. I feel her pain and her rage. The howl of engines can be heard in the distance. The cavalry's on the way. I just gotta hold her off. But Mother doesn't have long. The Force guides my aim and the Cylix spits APEB rounds. She tries to block. Bad idea. All it does is make the round blow up in your face, though sometimes that's better for you than a full-on hit. I feel the scalding heat as her outer robes catch flame. She tears them off, and I keep firing.

Then an invisible hand wraps around my throat. I fight against the grip, but she is strong and it is, you know, hard to breathe while you're being choked. While I struggle, she lifts me off the ground and yanks me towards the speeder. Even with the bubble this is going to hurt - a lot. Mother would have been able to shield herself way better. Hell, she'd probably be able to break the invisible bind and not get ragdolled to begin with. You don't go up against her and use telekinesis. I can't. But I can take the pain. So I'm slammed into the speeder. It knocks the wind out of me, sends my head in a spin and I feel white-hot pain. It hurts like hell, I feel dizzy and blood is all over my face and legs. A rib cries. Frak, it must've fractured. But I got to fight. I've got my duty.

I push through the daze. Dimly, I realise that if the Sith had been at full strength...this would've been a hell of a lot worse. But she isn't. I feel her pain. It is so strong I can taste it. Mother did not go down without doing a number on her. As the Lifeweb returns my sight to me, I see her retreating - limping badly. No, she does not get to steal away into the night. If I can pin her down, the cavalry can cut her off. My limbs ache, but fire rushes through me and bursts outward. I don't just generate fire. I become fire. A wall of flame rushed towards her and she burns. I hear her roar in pain and fury.

The Lifeweb screams in my head. Engines roar, as a shuttle shoots through the sky. In the nick of time, I duck beneath the wreckage just before the shuttle's cannons spit laser fire. There's another Force-User piloting it. Her lackey, no doubt. The shuttle dives down towards the ground and the Sith limps towards the ramp. Grunting, I rise up. Large balls of flame form inside my hands and I hurl them at her. But she has already staggered up the ramp. The ship has banked away. My fire only splashes it. The shuttle shoots into the sky. Frak. All around me is destruction - debris, dead bodies, blood and discarded weapons. I hear sirens and vehicles draw closer.

I don't hear Mother. Frak. The old wound flares up again, but I rush to her as far as I can. That wound is...nasty. Frak, the sabre went right through her. I check her pulse. No, you can't die. You just can't. No matter how much you piss me off. I don't know why I try. I can't heal. I haven't been able to heal since that fight with Matsu. Still, I touch her wound in her chest. "Lifeweb...it's not her time. She's not ready yet. Give me strength. Vesta, don't let her fire go out. Please." Frak, I'm crying. The tears trickling down my face intermix with blood. My heart's thundering in my chest. Then suddenly, it's like energy is being pulled from my body and pushed into her.

My head spins and my breathing turns ragged. It hurts - like being drained. Like being stabbed by something sharp and red-hot. I don't stop. I can't. If this is the price...so be it. It's getting harder and harder to to focus. I'm sweating, but feeling colder with every moment that goes by. And then I hear her breathe. "Daughter...thank...I am...proud..." Everything goes dark and I slump.

((Continuation of the story started here and continued here, here, here, here, here and here))

I awake with a start. How long was I out? I cannot tell. My head hurts. My body's feels like some weak, frail thing. I'm not among the ruins, the bodies, the fires and the blood anymore. Instead the air is sterile. Smells like hospital. Figures. I have to measure my life in hospital and significant maimings at this point. The covers are soft. I sense a presence. "Mother?"
The voice that responds doesn't belong to Mother. Her tone's formal. Slightly accented. She rolls her 'r's. "Lady Kerrigan is still in the ICU."
"Oh...Brigadier. Sorry, head's a little fuzzy. Is she gonna make it?"
"Too early to tell. Whatever you did...helped her, but she's not out of the woods yet," Leonina Varkathras, my boss, responds.
"Don't even know what I did, to be honest. She was dying, there was so much blood. I prayed and...it was like all energy was being ripped from me and pulled into her."
"Your heart stopped." Oh. "We'll have to investigate this further," she raised a fur-covered paw. "When you're up for it - and not a moment before. You're staying here until the doctors have cleared you." Her voice is stern.
I groan. "How's Hunter? He got hit by the Sith, I think. Wouldn't have been able to get the drop on her without him."
"Cracked rib, a concussion - but alive. Ms Harmony is a bit in shock, but alright. The same cannot be said for many of the delegates and the guards. It's a debacle. Kerrigan's attacker got away."

"Frak," I sink back into my bed. "We know anything about her?"
She pauses for a while before continuing. "Her name's Darth Soteria. She used to be called Shakkara Kalon, Jedi Master."
I snort. "Great. Another Jedi turned Sith. One of their Dark Lord's 'lackeys'?"
Leonina shakes her head. "No, she's not one of them. She's something very different."
"You sound like you know. Sorry, I didn't mean to pry but..."

"You did, but it's a professional matter you need to be in the know about," she cuts me off. "As you know, I was a Jedi before I joined Firemane. As was common back then, the Order took me in at a young age and I was apprenticed to a Master. Shakkara was that Master." Her accent's gotten stronger. Her 'w's sound like 'v's.
"Frak. What happened?"
"She betrayed the Republic and joined the One Sith, like many others. She made me an offer. I refused. She didn't take it well."
"So she...went for us because she couldn't handle you not being her minion?" I blurt out.

"I'm not so arrogant to think that her actions revolve around a singular obsession with me. What matters is that she's a extremely dangerous Force-wielder. I know she isn't associated with the Empire. She's always had her own mind. She's not someone who'd kowtow to anyone sitting on a throne. We don't know the extent of her resources, but she was able to penetrate our security. In the coming days, everyone with knowledge of Lady Kerrigan's itinerary and security arrangements will be questioned."

Heads will roll. Maybe literally. "And then we must find her," I finish. "You want to fight her, ma'am."
"It's not a matter of want; it's my duty, Lieutenant. Shakkara used to be a," she is searching for words, I can tell, "...formidable Jedi Master, committed to fighting injustice instead of sitting in a conclave. But whatever she once was, now she is a butcher, a war criminal, and it's our duty to kill her." I want to say something in sympathy. It must be like...fighting your parent. Except one you used to have a good relationship with. I shot my father, but he was always a monster. But I hold my tongue. "Order of Fire leads the way, ma'am. I've got a slug with her name on it," is what I say instead.

I can tell the topic's not one she wants to dwell on. Don't blame her. "You did well today. Don't expect honours."
"I don't want medals. Or another stupid propaganda movie." I still hate that dumb movie they made about Tephrike. Full of whitewashing. Least my actress was cool - and actually interested in what really happened. Whatever. "Just doing my duty."
"Good. Because what happened is no cause for celebration. It's a warning that we've got to be stronger. More resolute."
Painkillers must be wearing off. My head is starting to hurt. "So...since Mother's, well, out of commission, who's in charge now? Mum...Director Alcori?"
Leonina shakes her head. "Vice President Kaylah Danton has stepped in as interim CEO until such a time when Lady Kerrigan is sufficiently recovered to resume her duties."
Mother must be hating this. But the name doesn't ring a bell. "Danton?"
"A long-term member of the Board of Control," Leonina emphasises. I can tell she's annoyed. "You should pay more attention to our hierarchy, Lieutenant. Military and political."
"Respectfully, I try to avoid politics, ma'am, and just get on with my job."
I can't quite read her aura. "Politics has a way of finding you no matter how hard you try to avoid it. Being apolitical's a pipedream for us."
A rebuke's a rebuke. "Yeah, fine. So is this Danton woman one of the bootlickers who slept their way or does she know her stuff?"
I shouldn't have said that. "I will attribute that remark to the damage to your head and the painkillers." Her tone's very sharp. Cutting even. "The Vice President is an experienced administrator who has been with Firemane from the very beginning." So not the power-grabbing, backstabbing vizier who'll make nice with Sithlings? Great. "But regardless of who signs our paychecks, we will abide by our oath."
"Yes, ma'am."
There's a figure standing outside the room. A doctor, I guess. Seeing her, Leonina turns and walks away. "Rest. Don't try to sneak out," she says as a parting shot and closes the door behind her. I can still perceive them because walls are no barrier to Force Sight, but their voices are muffled. Something about Mother and surgery. I fight to remain awake, but slowly sink back to sleep.

Tracers and multi-coloured blaster rounds streaked across the streets. Shrapnel stung the air amidst explosions. Entire buildings had been flattened by artillery shelling. The female form of a Twi'lek emerged from a burning residential building and ran towards the Firemane soldier.
"Peace! Peace!" she cried out, sounding desperate and terrified. "Firemane good!"
"Stop!" Private Sano Tahoka shouted. Her assault rifle was in hand, but her grip was shaking slightly. The Twi'lek was no older than her. "Stay where you are!"

But the woman kept running through the darkness, as explosions thundered. Indeed, she shifted her course to run straight towards the Togruta soldier. "Firemane good!" she repeated.
Sano pulled the trigger in the same moment as the suicide bomber blew herself up, detonating the explosives she had hidden beneath her vest. She felt the ensuing shockwave, and was knocked off her feet.
As she hit the ground, the rifle fell out of her hands. Luckily, the suicide bomber had not gotten close enough to deal real damage, but the wave knocked the wind out of her. The Force barrier around her protected her from shrapnel, and the subsequent salvo from an insurgent. Her ears were ringing.
As she regained her bearings, she saw Diona drop an insurgent and hasten towards her. "Can you walk?" the former Jedi asked gruffly.
"Yeah. Frak. I thought it was a civvie."
"She was. And she would've killed you. Don't hesitate next time. Move." They hastened towards some debris, weaving a path as blaster and slug rounds burst out of insurgent hideouts. Sano was about to draw her sabre when Diona stayed her hand. "Too much attention."
"I can deflect well," Sano insisted.
"Not enough for several rifles." Instead she pitched a smoke grenade. "On my mark, throw. There, that building is where we're going. Shoot to kill." Sano nodded, taking the small explosive ball in hand. "Watch out for traps." Diona gave the signal and Sano hurled the grenade, using the Force to propel it further.
Upon detonation, a cloud of smoke billowed into the air. Sano burst through the cloud, followed by Diona. The Togruta pulled the Force into her muscles, amplifying her speed and her reflexes as she dodged crimson bolts. With a telekinetic tug, she ripped a gunner from his nest and slammed him into the ground.

Then she felt a sharp jolt inside her skull, disrupting her spirited charge. "Change course. Disrupted ground. IED." Now that she heard Diona's voice resonate inside her skull, she saw the barrel at the roadside. Nonetheless, she groaned internally as she sought cover behind a pillar. "I saw it!" she insisted.
"You didn't," Diona stated flatly as she appeared at her side. Briefly peeking out of cover, she snapped off a spray of disruptor rounds into the direction of a crouching rebel, spraying duracrete dust from the impact. Blaster bolts impacted upon her armour, causing the energy shield to flare as it absorbed most of the impact.
When the rebel rose to return fire, Diona pumped another round at the target, catching him in the helmet and turning him to ash. "Follow me."
"Yes, ma'am," Sano muttered in annoyance. Her blood was pumping and she was filled with adrenaline. She fired a trio of blaster bolts towards a wall a rebel had found cover behind. They were powerful enough to punch holes in the flimsy cover and keep foes suppressed. She dashed after Diona. The building loomed ahead of them.
They passed corpses of soldiers as well as vehicle wrecks. As they got closer to the door, she could sense life forms inside the building. Excitement surged through her. But then the sensation grew fainter and she felt a flash of precognition. "They're moving away." She dashed towards the door.

It was locked, but she kicked it open – and triggered the booby-trap. The detonation happened too quickly for her to summon a Force barrier and, in any event, it would not have made a difference. Her body was torn apart. Sano died...and awoke in a clean, sterile room. It was not a disappointing afterlife though. Fortunately for her, it had been a simulation. Diona loomed above her, having pulled an oversized helmet from her head. "You knew it was a booby-trap," Sano declared accusingly, jabbing a finger at the older woman.
The former Jedi looked at her with that stoic expression of hers that made Sano feel like a child again. "Yes," she said flatly. "You would not listen, so you needed to learn."
"A heads-up would've been nice."
"And then you'd have made the mistake next time – if not in a simulation, then in real combat. This isn't a game."
"I know it isn't," Sano retorted a bit indignantly, rubbing her head. Her body was, of course, intact, but the virtual 'death' still gave her a headache from hell.
"You have spirit. But it must be tempered with prudence."
"Fine, what do I do then? The Force warns me sometimes, but I can't exactly inspect the ground in the middle of a firefight."
"No, but there are tells. And obvious places to booby-trap. Distorted ground, objects out of place, natural choke-points, the entrance to the only shelter. Something as simple as a closed cupboard or a flashlight could be rigged."

"Okay, I get it."
"You don't, but you will. How's the head?"
"Fine. Let's do it again. I'll do it right this time." At the flip of a switch, the pair found themselves back inside the war-torn town. Once again, the suicide bomber raced towards Sano. This time she did not hesitate. They dodged the mine on the street. Amidst explosions and blaster salvoes, they approached the building.
"I guess there's no back-door?" Sano called out to make herself heard over the sounds of battle. In the distance, the cry of a soldier who had stepped on a mine was heard. Then a building caved in when a tank cannon fired upon it.
"Guarded, or rigged. We'll make another one. Move." Sano had just about enough time to step aside before Diona pulled the trigger, and unleashed a destructive wave of disruptor energy into the duracrete wall with a loud roar. The air was ignited and the molecular bonds sundered. She was grateful for her helmet, otherwise she would've inhaled the smoke and dust. Quickly, they pushed through the hole.
"Clear," Sano reported. Rifle in hand, she moved in. Both proceeded to clear the next room, finding it vacated. It looked like it had been a living room, though it had seen better days. The walls were scorched and the sofas were ripped. There was some food on the table. The light flickered above them. What caught Sano's eye was a discarded army rucksack.

"Hey, look at that," she said. But she kept herself from inspecting it. Rather she focused on the Force, stretching out with her senses – and listened to the ripples. "Booby-trapped?" she asked rhetorically. Diona nodded curtly. They quickly left the room, giving the trap a wide berth. Part of the staircase seemed to have caved in. They were about to move up, but then Sano's Force Senses prickled. She heard noise from downstairs.
Without missing a beat, the two dashed after the fleeing rebels. One hurled a grenade their way. Quickly, Sano caught it with a telekinetic hand and they sought cover as it exploded in-mid air. Dust rose into the air, a door was ripped apart and she felt something hot and hard sting her flesh. But adrenaline filled her. "Sabre," Diona mouthed and Sano obediently drew her blade as they reached the basement. Desperate blaster salvoes came their way. Bolts bounced off her blade. Some ricocheted, others went for the shooters.
Sano lobbed in a flashbang and as the room was bathed in bright light, they rushed in. Diona's disruptor roared and a rebel became ash. A second got a shot off before Sano's blade clove him from shoulder to belly and a third she pushed into a wall while he was reeling from the blast. The fourth tossed his gun away, raising hands. "Don't shoot! I surrender!"
"Turn around. Hands behind your back," Diona commanded coldly, keeping her rifle levelled at him. "Drop the knife in your boot, too," she added coldly, whereupon the rebel quickly did so. "Sano, cuff him, then frisk him."
The Togruta put her lightsabre on her belt and produced a small scanning device. Crucially, it would detect hidden explosives. Obediently she cuffed the rebel's hands and searched him. "Found this," she informed Diona, passing over a comm. Diona pocketed it. "May have orders on it," she muttered. Then suddenly both felt a jolt in their skull.

The landscape shifted and suddenly they were in the white room again. They pulled off their VR helmets and found that they were not alone in the room. Elpsis was standing before them. The Lieutenant was dressed in the standard olive green uniform, with an Order of Fire emblem pinned to her chest.
They were about to salute, though Elpsis waved them off. "Been looking for you. Going through some extra training?"
"Urban combat scenario 3, ma'am," Diona responded.
"Diona's been teaching me about booby-traps, ma'am. You know, staying alert and all that," Sano. "She's been a big help," she added and meant it.
"I like the initiative. Training never stops. I thought I'd learned everything when I hit Masterhood, and boy, was I wrong," Elpsis remarked.
"Does that also apply to the Grandmistress?" Sano could not help ask a bit cheekily.
"Especially to her," Elpsis emphasised, and glanced towards Diona. "There's something I wanted to announce to you in private, but I might as well do it now since I know it's gonna be approved. I put in a recommendation for your promotion to Corporal."
"Congrats, Diona!" Sano declared a bit awkwardly.
However, Diona's expression remained stoic. "Why did you recommend me, ma'am?"

"I mean, you already boss us around anyway," Sano interjected. Both glared at her and she recoiled. "Sorry. This is my cue to leave?" Elpsis' look told her everything. "I'll be outside." Then she quickly scurried out.
With the Togruta gone, the two stared at each other. "I'm content where I am," Diona stated stoically.
"Don't worry, you're still at the bottom, just a tad further away from the barrel," Elpsis remarked, then suppressed a sigh. "You've proven you're reliable and you know your shit. I can't have you as a Private forever. You were an officer in the Dominion."
"Those days are past. I'm not that person anymore. I was given a chance to atone for my crimes, as much as I can after all the blood I shed. That is enough for me. I want no rewards from Firemane – or you."
"It's no reward. And I didn't recommend that Diona for a promotion. The torturer, the drone. I recommended who you are now."
"Both are the same person."

Elpsis' expression was hard and cold. "Yes. But if you were the same you were then, I'd have killed you and we wouldn't be having this chat. You want to make amends, then take the responsibility and use it more wisely. You're no trainee; you were leading soldiers into battle when I was an aimless drifter taking jobs from slum bosses. And I'm not letting you stay in your comfort zone and act like one when you could help provide guidance to them."
Diona was quiet for a good while. "It is not a reward, it's a responsibility," she concluded. She looked Elpsis right in the eye with an intent gaze and said: "Then do I have your trust to accompany you to Tephrike when the day comes? I swore an oath to return. My oath supersedes Firemane's agendas."
Elpsis knitted her brow together, thinking. Her milky-white eyes looked into the blue ones that belonged to her...jailer, torturer, confidant...comrade? Then after a moment she spoke: "Yes. It won't be Firemane's cause. It will be mine."
"Ours."
"And Rhea's and Mara's and all the Unchained's. What do you know about the leaders of the Dominion and the Vaderites?" Firemane got intelligence from the Republican Guard, but it was hardly a priority for them. Diona had served the Dominion's secret police – and committed atrocities in its name.

"It is Mahtara and Eisen, yes?" Diona asked for confirmation, whereupon Elpsis nodded.
"Mahtara is...old. I'm not sure how old. Some say she was already a Jedi when the Dominion was born. Others say she's even older."
Elpsis snorted. "Then she should've known what the Dominion's doing isn't the Jedi way, even by the Jedi's low standards."
"I can't say what drove her to help build it. But I know she's dangerous. When the Netherworld swallowed millions and the Force didn't heed our call, she led the Dominion's defence against the Vaderites and the Guard. The Grand Inquisitor resented her. Do not underestimate her."
"The Dominion got hit real hard. You think she can hold it together?"
"In the Grand Army we had a saying 'where Mahtara is, there is victory'. You may not understand, but for every citizen who sees the tyrant, there are many who say 'if only Mahtara knew' whenever an injustice happens. Unlike many Jedi Masters, she has not hoarded and stolen."
"You sound almost like you respect her. After everything."

"She helped build the system that enslaves my sisters. The system in whose name I spilt innocent blood. She is the enemy. But I'm not blind to the qualities that will make of many siblings fight for her. To an outsider, the Dominion's people look oppressed – and they are. But it is what they know. They won't all suddenly rise up in rebellion because the space people promise them 'freedom'."
"No. If we're dumb, we'll dig our own grave. But there's still people who need saving there - starting with those in the camps. We can't free them in one go, but we can be the spark. What about Eisen? From what I heard, he's some kind of ridiculous fop. Stupid medals, palaces and all that...but if he was a total idiot, he wouldn't have gotten so high, would he?"

The former Jedi considered this question for a moment. "I know him mostly by reputation. He's the most corrupt and decadent of his whole degenerate order. While total war raged between our nations, freight trains with stolen art made their way to his mansion. But....he's more than he appears to be. I do not know specifics, but he's said to be a master of sorcery and lies. He directed their bombing campaign against us and is popular with the Vaderites' human subjects. Do your Vong...allies have any intel on other Sith Masters who survived Maysaf's destruction?"

Elpsis thought for a bit. "All the stuff I know is third or second hand. They mostly request aid against the Dominion. Lemme think...I think they mentioned a Darth Lachesis once. Something about wanting a hit on her. Name ring a bell?"
"There was once an island called Chios. People from various species dwelt on it. When the Vaderites took control, they were at first content to oppress the non-humans and pit them against each other. Then Lachesis was made governor-general. Today, only humans live there."
"Where are the aliens?"
"Gone."
"You mean deported and enslaved?"
"No, gone. Every man, woman and child was slaughtered. She built resorts on their ashes. 'Model' workers go there."
Elpsis' expression darkened. "They'll be avenged," she spoke coldly. "The guilty must burn."

"'And though this world, with devils filled,
Should threaten to undo us,
We will not fear, for the Light hath willed
its truth to triumph through us.'"

"Windian song?"
"One of the few I still like."
"I like the sentiment behind it," Elpsis stated, despite herself. "I'll see you tomorrow at the drills."

I've begun to measure my life in significant hospital visits. Thing is, normally it's me lying in the bed with broken limbs. In the Force, Siobhan looks so peaceful. Her heart rate is steady – but weak. Machinery monitors her non-stop. I'm not used to seeing her like this. "Well, it's been a while, Mother," I start lamely. "Where to begin? Silvers got in bed with the Sith. I mean, more than usual. Then flounced. Korriban's been hit. I fought some Imps on Byss and explored a space hulk. Gonna visit Jedha. Tegs is being Tegs. Think she came by yesterday."

Looked up to Tegs once. Then I realised how shallow she is. From soldier to leader to weak-willed trophy wife. "Addy's getting good with her bow. Livy's hanging out with Varosh in his lab. They miss you," I sigh. "Oh, and thanks but no thanks for putting me in charge of the family. What were you thinking? Really?" A silly part of me waits for a voice to say 'you only said you didn't want to run Firemane, you said nothing about the house'.

A foolish thought. Siobhan is, of course, silent. People only magically wake up from coma in stories. "Maybe it's because I'm the only one you had left," I state after a moment of silence. "The fire girl who chooses to live in a cabin on an uninhabited island and can't read anything unless it's in braille. Last one standing. What was it again that you said: 'We're the last Kerrigans. The last ones who count. Whatever stands in our way, we'll defeat it.' Or something like that. Anyway, I've got meetings. And it looks like I gotta arrange Livy and Addy's fostering. Don't laugh."
I reach out and take her hand. "You'll call it childish, but I pray for you, you know. May the Lifeweb surround you. Get better, okay? Even if I'll regret this the moment I have to chat with you again." Suddenly I hear commotion outside.

First there's an insistent, accented voice. "I am the Blade of the Karishzar."
Then one that sounds like the pounding of hammers. "And you are not on the list of authorised visitors."
"It is my responsibility to safeguard the Blessed Karishzar."
"Take it up with Guard Command."
"You wish to hinder me in exercising my duties?"
"I want you to stop hindering me in exercising mine."

Alright, that's enough. I step out and lo and behold, Karrigan'Xalda is standing there arguing with Mother's Kar'zun guard. The Granite Guards rotate on a regular basis so that the same person is not stuck on guard duty day in, day out. This time Sergeant Kar'zakush must have drawn the short straw. "Offspring of the Destroyer," Xalda declares. "What is the condition of the Karishzar?"
"Same as yesterday, presumably," Kar'zakush mutters. "You know, if she were truly divine as you Daughters say, you would not have to worry about her condition."
I cannot see Xalda's expression, but I'm certain she's glaring at her. Not that a Kar'zun would be real impressed. Basically, they're huge, thinking golems. And one guarding the door wears power armour on top of that. Looks like I have to be responsible. "Alright, both of you, chill. She's fine. Now what do you want Xalda?"
"I would see the Karishzar for myself."

I suppress a sigh. Xalda is earnest and competent. She fought on Tephrike and went through hell before that. She's just...one of those Xioquo who genuinely think Mother is some sort of higher being. It's wrong, and it's manipulative of my mothers to encourage it or, in the case of Tegs, to enable by not saying anything. "Fine, come in. Next time you want to see her, just make a call instead of coming in blasters blazing."
I sense her puzzlement. "I am not carrying a blaster. Nor have I fired one," she says earnestly.
"Figure of speech. Sergeant, if anyone else comes barging in, chuck them out of the window."
"Gladly."
"That was a joke," then I add, "for now, anyway." I gesture to Xalda and she follows me inside. "There, she's fine. Happy now?" Xalda does not say anything for a while. She seems to be examining the various machines, then she feels her pulse.
"I can still sense her," she says at last, "though her aura is faint." Her voice is quiet, as if she half-expects lightning to strike her if she implies the Blessed Karishzar is not doing great.

"She'll get better." I try to sound reassuring. "Healing from the beating she took takes a while."
"You trust the doctors?"
"What?"
"Perhaps they are delaying her recovery – or worse."
"Xalda, they're Firemane people. Many have been with the corp for ages."
"And there are predators who'd rather she never wake so that they can feast upon the carcass," she says softly, intently. "In Firemane and amongst its vassals. They have yet to locate the Sith devil who attacked our queen. Meanwhile, Semiramis weaves her webs."

"Sure she does," I mutter.
"So does the blue maggot."
Takes me a moment to put two and two chuckle. I'd chuckle at the description of Xalda wasn't so dead serious – and right. "Royal? She's a scheming piece of shit, yeah."
"I've seen many like her at the courts of the mistresses. They flock to whoever has power, and whisper honeyed words in their ear to get power, and betray anyone for thirty pieces of silver. Why the Karishzar tolerates her, I won't ever know."
"Oh, I know all too well." It has a lot to do with her being great at bootlicking.
"She's not the only one on the board. Danton has craved the crown for years. I see it in her eyes. And now she is close to her goal."
"Look, Xalda, you want her to recover, great. Me, too. If we got a corrupt Sith lover running things, I'd shoot them myself. But this isn't the time to start pointing daggers at people. We do that, and it'll blind us to the real threats out to get us. Understood?"
She takes a moment. "You speak truth. I shall be vigilant." She looks back to Siobhan. "She set us free. My mistress gave me to her as a slave. I was charged with poisoning her. Whether I lived or died was of no consequence. There were always more slaves. The Karishzar saw through my intent. But she spared me, and I broke my chains. She set us all free."

"Yeah, she has freed a lot of people." It is true. She's also chained them in other ways.
"There were many among the Qadiri and the Eldorai who would've butchered my people without a second thought. But the Karishzar would not have it."
I'm starting to figure out what she's getting at. "Xalda, you and me haven't the easiest relationship. Frankly, I think you're a little crazy. But I wouldn't let some jerk harm your people just cause Mother's out of commission. Danton wouldn't either. She's friends with your queen, after all." To be honest, I don't know her well, but she doesn't seem too bad. Just stiff, nitpicky and eager to be in charge and make sure everyone knows she is. I guess that comes with being Mother's chief pen-pusher.

"Yes, she is." Then she stares at me. It's eerie. She's the kind of person who can look at you for ages without end and it feels like her eyes are boring into your soul. "You are the Offspring of the Karishzar."
"I prefer it when people use my name."
"I mean no offence, but it is what you are. You were raised up by her and bear her name, as I do. Some would call us siblings. But you have her spark."
I shrug. "I'm just a girl who can throw fireballs at people and is mildly not crap at leading a bunch of rookies to kill bad guys."
"You always disparage yourself." No, I don't. "Is it because you are frightened of her shadow?"
"It's nothing like that, okay? Save me the bullchit psychoanalysis." That came out more heated than I wanted. "Look, I got no problem with you. But I'm my own person, not someone hiding from someone's shadow. I'm no Fire Princess, I'm no Kerrigan Junior. Just a soldier who happens to have a big name."

"I met the Karishzar ere I boarded the sky-ship to Tephrike. She was gravely concerned. It was...the first time I felt she was afraid. She believed you dead but wanted to do all in her power to find you regardless. If you had been returned to her as a corpse, she would've rained hellfire down upon the Dominion. Naught but ash would've remaind."
"I'd rather she not nuke anyone for me. Not like the average prole in the Dominion had any say in what the regime did. They wouldn't have deserved to suffer," I mutter. I'd rather she not leave Tephrike to its fate. Before she can interject, I continue: "You know, I never thanked for what you did for me on Tephrike. That was wrong."
"I did my duty."
"You travelled across the galaxy and went through hell to save one girl who got herself captured. It wasn't your war."
"It was mine as much as yours. Don't patronise me. I came all that way to get justice for comrades who were murdered during a parley. To fulfil my oath to the woman who set me free by retrieving or avenging her offspring. Who was captured fighting for her comrades. And when I came, I found myself facing an enemy just as heinous as the mistresses who held my people in bondage. Who would send children to be slaughtered just to buy themselves time."

"Didn't mean to patronise you." Maybe it's the vehemence of her tone, but something clicks in me. "You experienced that before, didn't you?"
"In years past, I was one of those children. Only I survived. Many did not."
My eyes narrow. "The monsters responsible are dead?"

"The mistress got what she deserved. I gave it to her. She screamed when I threw her into the bloodforges." Her tone is satisfied and cold. Darkness writhes inside her. I don't flinch from it. Her coiled anger reminds me of Rhea.
"Then justice was served," I say. "You made your tormentors pay."
"As you did yours." I remember the Grand Inquisitor's screams when the flames devoured him. When it was over, the bastard was ash. Then his goons in the camp burnt. It was justice.
"Yes. Couple down, many more to go. The guilty must burn."
"Then we burn them all. On Tygara, on Tephrike." So much like Rhea. "And those within Firemane who think they can get away with treason and theft while she sleeps."
That I can do. "She's out of commission, but our mission's same." This is familiar; this I understand. "Putting down scum. The mission's what matters – nothing else. But we must be smart about it, okay? No going in half-cocked. I don't give a chit about politics and profit, but I do care about not hurting innocent people just because someone's not praising 'the Karishzar', got it?"
Her aura flickers red. "I am no simpleton berserker. I know when to strike, when to stay my hand and when to wait for the prey." There's an edge to her tone. I can respect that. Better than someone who bows and scrapes.

"Fair. Remember that. Y'know, I never got the memo on how this whole Daughter of the Destroyer thing works. I take it she didn't adopt all of you?" I ask dryly.
"No. But we're her Daughters, whether we bear her name or not. We don't share her blood, but I don't need to tell you how meaningless that is. We share her spirit."
I glance at Mother again. "You do know she is gonna die one day, right? Like everyone. 'Karishzar' or not." I've almost certainly mangled the pronunciation.
"Her body will wither away. Her spirit will endure, freed from her shell. Maybe I'll receive guidance from her in death, maybe not. Our mission will remain the same. Protect her family, protect the Xioquo people."
That's...saner than I thought. Still cultist talk, but she's not ranting about performing blood sacrifices to get her back. "Doesn't bother you that you won't get any of the billions of creds she's stashed away?" It may have come out more provocative than I meant. Actually, it probably came out as exactly as I meant.
"Do you want those treasures? Surround yourself with luxuries you've been given rather than earned yourself." Her tone's challenging.
My answer's as immediate as my tone's firm. "No. All wealth does is corrupt if you hoard it. Give it to charity, orphanages, whatever."
"Then we are alike in that regard. We're both her legacy. Perhaps that is our role then. To guard what she built."

"And set it right when it goes wrong." Her aura radiates satisfaction. I'm so gonna regret this, but whatever. "You haven't met my unit, have you?" she shakes her head. "Maybe some time you and your folks can show up and we can do some training together. You can show 'em some tricks. Maybe also help out the Unchained a bit."
She seems to think for a moment, then nods. "I would like that. I've met some of the Unchained. They are brave people fighting oppression."
"Swell." My comm beeps. "Speaking of which, duty calls. I get to meet the chief minions." Or head lackeys. Ok, that may be a tad unfair....for a few. I wonder who'll tell me I should put a fancy crown on my head and let them run the company 'for me'."
"May the spirits guide you, and give you clarity when a fog of lies clouds you."
I still don't like Xalda much. Still think she's crazy. But...she's trying. Her life's been hell. She bled for us – for me. She deserves recognition for that. "May the Lifeweb surround you." And then she's gone. I look back at Mother. "Guess it's just gonna be you now. I'll give Addy and Livy a hug from you. I'll keep them safe." Then I leave.

Post-Battle of Bastion

The clock was ticking. Just a few minutes till the ceremony. However, Elpsis' thoughts were elsewhere. In her bunk, she wrestled with a most tenacious enemy. One more frustrating and dangerous than any Sith - or Jedi, not that there was a huge difference between those two these days, as depresssing as that was. Alas, said foe seemed immune to any strategem she could devise.

Perhaps there was a special course to overcome this foe at the General Staff Academy. Who was this abominable enemy, the dear reader might ask? Her olive green uniform. In all fairness, the coat was very stiff. Alas, she had not gotten far. The amount of time this task had consumed thus far was a cause of great irritation for her. In all fairness to her, one hand was broken and in a sling, and she needed crutches to stand. Her bad leg and foot had taken a huge beating from, especially after a certain Sith Lord decided to transmute her armour. Besides, she was blind.

It had not been long since Bastion, and her fight with that Sith Lord, whose name she had learned was Darth Aurum. She had prevailed - barely. He had been powerful and fought bravely, assailing her with techniques unknown to her. Her body had been broken by the end of the fight. Still, he was dead and she was not. His Sith warblade hung on the wall. She would have gone back to the Forge, but the Arx was closer and better equipped to provide specialised care. And now she was supposed to be awarded a medal in a fancy ceremony. Hopefully there would not be any cheesy music. It was all just about Firemane celebrating itself anyway. They wanted a poster child, and they were in danger of running out of Kerrigans.

"Oh, for frak's sake, come on," she cursed irritably.
"Let me aid you," Mara offered softly. The Tephriki clone had been helping the Lieutenant get ready.
Fortunately, the Tephriki was used to dealing with Kerrigan stubbornness. "I'm not a bloody invalid. I can manage this," Elpsis insisted, despite all the evidence to the contrary.
"It's not about being strong or weak." That said the clone walked over to her and gently helped Elpsis into the stiff uniform coat. Then she helped her button the many fiddy brass buttons. "There, all done. You look like straight out of a recruitment poster."

"What will the tag line be?" Elpsis wondered. "'Join the army, we'll give you crutches." That made her chuckle a bit. This soon turned into a cough. Mara looked a bit concerned at the sound, but said nothing, seeing that Elpsis was not in obvious pain. Instead she helped her up and handed her the crutches. "Thanks. Think we're good to go."

"Not yet. One thing's missing. Your...," at that Mara paused a bit dramatically, "hat." Elpsis groaned in response.
"Oh, that, think it got lost," she shrugged dismissively. "I guess I'll just have to do without it." It may have gotten lost under the bed.
Mara held it up. "I think I recovered it."
"I look silly in it," Elpsis grumbled, but accepted it. She was not overly fond of the scarlet beret. Helmets had a purpose - they protected the head. But all a hat did was squish her already unruly hair down.
"Now you're like the girl on the poster."
"Just a hella lot more scarred."
"Grizzled," Mara corrected. "Shall we?" Walking to the door, she opened it for Elpsis, who gave her an appreciative nod and limped out.
"Time to get a piece of tin," Elpsis muttered, then in a louder voice said: "By the way, do they give you lot medals in the Dominion or is that 'bourgeois Sith tradition'?"

"It used to be, I think. I think they wanted to set us apart from the Vaderites, where every general and Sith Lord has a uniform packed with medals. But they changed that a long time ago. I don't think I've ever seen Mahtara wear any, but there are marshals whose chest is as bright as a - what do you call it again? - Life Day tree."
Elpsis snorted. "Funny that, since they hate it when you're an individual."
"If you forget you're just a cog, the harmonious inquisitors are always there to enlighten you," Mara remarked as they walked through the corridor. "So what does having a medal mean in your Firemane? Do you get any special privileges?"
Elpsis shook her head. "Nah. You get a bunch of benefits if you receive the Galactic Cross, but I'm not getting that. Not that I mind. I'd have to wear that damn thing all the time."

They reached the turbolift and the clone pressed the button. The doors closed behind them. "If you were declared a Hero of the Dominion, you'd be more equal than anyone else. Better housing, medical care from a Jedi healer instead of waiting in line in hospital. And you'd get paraded around as an example..."
"Till you get purged for pissing off a bigshot." Elpsis finished. She picked up on the bitterness in Mara's tone and remembered something the other woman had told her after her rescue. "Your template?"
"She was a Hero. Then suddenly a 'traitor'. When they took her away, I thought if I told the inquisitors the truth, they'd set things right. I didn't know any better, but that's no excuse."

Elpsis gave her the mental equivalent of a pat on the back. "When you grow up in a machine, it's hard to tell you're trapped. When you got the chance, you saw the truth and acted on it."
Mara looked doubtful, but seemed appreciative. "When you have once gained sight, it is impossible to feign blindness."
"And you saved my arse on Tephrike. Makes you a Hero of Tephrike in my book. More than any of the bootlickers they threw ribbons and tin at." One day they would burn. The fated day when she would return was drawing closer. She could feel it.
Mara smiled slightly. "Thank you."
"Just the truth."
"Did you get anything for Tephrike? I know there was a ceremony, while you were unconscious. Natalie got an award, as did Vykaris and the others."
"Nah. I got a commission. After Mother threatened to court-martial me," Elpsis shook her head. "I ain't complaining. Means I skipped being on telly."
"You don't want to be rewarded?"
"The squad earned it. I don't want fanfare for myself. As it is, we're already gonna have more of that than an Lt. who's last name isn't Kerrigan would get."
"Then don't wear it for yourself, wear it for us. The little people on the ground, not the leaders."

The turbolift ground to a halt and they walked out of the doors. Here and there, they passed Firemane service members. Some stopped to look at Elpsis for varying reasons, others went about their business. Nyssa was standing close to the hall. Upon seeing Elpsis, she approached them. "Red, computer girl. Tiger lady just shooed me off to fetch you," she stated. "Love the hat, Red." She knew Elpsis did not.
"Don't you start."
Mara looked just a bit uncomfortable around the Pureblood. "Hello, Lieutenant Vykaris," she said nervously, fidgeting slightly.
Nyssa slapped her on the shoulder. "Not that I mind people bowing and scrapinng before me, but no need to be formal, computer girl. Eyes up. I'm not going to shoot laser beams."
"You're in a good mood," Elpsis remarked. It was...strange.
"So? We gave some so-called Sith a good beating, our squad of whiny Paddies is actually becoming somewhat useful and you're getting an award. Of course, if you hadn't charged off without me, you'd be getting it with all your bits intact."

"I did what I had to do. You and Vagt led the Paddies and cleared out the tunnel. I dealt with the Sith Master." Elpsis said bluntly, but then added in a softer tone: "I read your report, and Vagt's. About what went down while I was, you put it, getting my bits messed up. Nice work clearing out that tunnel."
For just a moment Nyssa's yellow eyes seemed to light up a bit, then it was gone. "I am a Pureblood and a Vykaris. I have standards to uphold. It would be a stain on my honour if my minions were an embarrassment. The Order would do well to recognise my wisdom," she declared haughtily. "The squad's learning. Still got a way to go, but they're not blindly fumbling in the dark anymore."

"No, they're not," Elpsis agreed quietly as they stepped into the hall.
She could hear Nyssa talking to Mara behind her. "So, computer girl, have you cracked any bank accounts lately? Made some bigshots poor?"
Mara looked perplexed. "No, of course not. That would be illegal."
"But you are great at slicing things with that big brain of yours?"
"Well, yes. My friend Natalie has been teaching me about your cogitators..."

Much of the rest of the conversation was lost on Elpsis. As her milky-white eyes travelled across the spacious room, she perceived familiar auras. Inferno Platoon was assembled, chief among them the Champions of the Flame. Rhea, Diona, Shikoba, Zhaleh, Vagt, Tahoka and all the others stood in full uniform. She was certain that she had felt Natalie's presence somewhere in the shadows. Among the crowd, she spotted her family and, more annoyingly, Royal. Inevitably, the press was there. Elpsis took her place at the head of the platoon. Vagt her a curt nod.

Standing on the stage, Brigadier Leonina Varkathras presided over the ceremony. She was dressed in a green uniform looped with gold braid and silver epaulettes. She wore the Order of Fire symbol on her chest. The Cathar stood tall and ramrod straight. "1st Squad, 6th Platoon, Alpha Company, 40 Commando Battalion, also known as the Champions of the Flame, has not been with us for long, but since their humble beginnings in a boot camp on Arkas, they've risen to the occasion when duty called. From a hostage rescue on Kriselist to an infiltration mission against Imperial warlords on Varonat to facing the Sith on Bastion and many engagements on our frontier, the squad has never shirked. Its members have gone beyond the call of duty, displaying valour and initiative. It has the qualities and the people we need. For their gallantry under fire, the Champions will receive the Superior Unit Cross."

There was applause and all that as Sergeant Vagt Bwi'kat stepped out of the ranks and walked towards the stage. Elpsis was receiving an individual award and the Bothan was the squad leader under her. The one whole squad would wear the award on their dress uniform, but he would be the one handed it on stage. The rest would be quietly given theirs later. Once he had reached the general officer, he snapped to attention, saluting her with bonecracking efficiency. She returned the salute and he was handed the impressive looking decoration, which Leonina pinned to his uniform.

"Soldiers, I'm man of few words, so I'll keep this short. I've seen you grow from a bunch of misfit trainees to a well-oiled a band of sisters and brothers who have each others' backs when it counts. We've been through some crazy times. More dangerous ones lie ahead. Keep up the good work, work together. And when the day comes when one of you gets dragged into the Nether, make sure you take the guy on the other side with you." There was more applause and he stepped away.

Leonina took centre stage again. "For her leadership of the soldiers under her command, and her actions during the battle of Bastion, Lieutenant Kerrigan will receive the Phoenix Cross, First Class. For suffering severe injury in the line of duty, she will receive the Wounded Badge, Silver Class. Lieutenant, do try to rein in your maimings, if you would."

That was the cause of some laughter in the crowd. Elpsis took it in grace and stepped forward. "You can manage, Red?" Nyssa grunted.
"I got this." Gaze resolute, she walked towards the elevated podium. Royal had suggested trumpets. Elpsis was very grateful that this had been shot down. She was no one special who should be singled out and get honours no one else in her position would. Besides, it would have been cringey. There was applause though.

For all that it felt like participating in a school awards assembly and for all her disdain for pomp and fanfare, in this moment she could not help feel proud. Don't wear it for yourself, wear it for us. Mara's words resonated with her. Even though each step seemed to hurt, sending a stab of pain through her leg. Then suddenly, she heard a child's voice from within the crowd. "Hey sis!" Little Adril called out excitedly, waving at her. Needless to say this earned her many looks and probably a rebuke from Royal. "What?"

Elpsis suppressed a smile and limped onward. It hurt, but she persisted, and eventually came to a halt before the brigadier. One set of milky-white eyes met a pair of yellow ones. Once she stood before the general, Elpsis leaned on a crutch and attempted to salute. This did not go well. There was a yelp when she nearly toppled. Leonina caught her in time. Elpsis' skin colour now matched that of her hair. "Sorry, ma'am. Lieutenant Kerrigan reporting as ordered."
"I appreciate your determination to follow protocol, but I won't have you injure yourself at an awards ceremony of all occasions."
"Yes, ma'am."
The Phoenix Cross came with a ribbon and the cross itself, which showed a stylised phoenix. The Brigadier pinned it to Elpsis' chest, then affixed the Wound Badge. "Congratulations, Lieutenant," she said quietly.

"Thank you, ma'am. And thanks to everyone attending, especially my platoon." Elpsis' voice was naturally quiet because speaking loudly hurt her throat. However, there was a microphone. "It's been little over a year since you came together as a unit. Been an honour leading you and watching you grow. We all bear the scars of battle. We've suffered hardship; we've endured; we've overcome." She paused for a moment.

"We've seen the suffering war can cause. Some of us saw it at Tephrike. We saw it at Varonat. But but we also saw something that's even worse: inaction. Cowardice. All it takes for evil to win is for good people to do nothing because they value their halo more than people's lives. The warlord we fought wiped out his own city to 'make an example' after we'd destabilised his hold. He wanted to cow us, and anyone chained by him. You could have thrown the towel after that. But we're not like that. War's hell, but someone needs to be the flame that burns tyrants and lights the path for the oppressed. May the Lifeweb surround you." She stepped down from the stage.

The ceremony was over. The speeches had been made and the soldiers had gotten their more or less fancy awards to show off. Elpsis still had to use crutches to walk and was already getting antsy about being stuck on the Arx. Despite her protests, she was still under medical observation. It was annoying. Shortly after the ceremony had come to an end, Livia and Adril had cornered 'Big Sis Elpsis' and dragged her away. They were children who constantly bickered, but stubborn and good at getting what they wanted when they put their minds to it. She could see their mother in them. In any event, it had been a welcome excuse to get away from the formalities, the press and Royal's nagging. The trio had sought refuge in one of the Arx' gardens.

The space station was an enormous place of metal and machines, but green areas had been created. It made life in space less disconcerting. She had taken off her shoes and socks, letting the soft grass touch her bare feet. Her crutches lay nearby. Naturally, her adoptive sisters were most eager to hear 'Elpsis stories'. The two had been raised on stories of Siobhan's adventures. These had been somewhat sanitised, though not as much as one would expect.

"How did you kill the Sith, sis?" Adril asked with an eager light in her eyes. "Did you burn him? Chop his head off?" Holding up a toy lightsabre, she made whooshing sounds while she swung it theatralically. "Like this?"
In contrast to her twin, Livia was more reserved. "Don't be silly, sister. We all know that Elpsis never uses her lightsabre."
"Not true!" Adril insisted. "She spars a lot with Auntie Nyssa."
"Yes, 'spars'."
"We do actually spar," Elpsis interjected.
"But you don't use your sabre a lot."
"No, I don't, sis. There's folks in the Order who are great at it, and I'm not one of 'em. That's why I've got big guns and the Force."
"So how did you kill him?"

"What powers did this villain use?" Livia asked. "Was he a Sith Warrior, an Inquisitor, an Assassin?"
"Classes only exist in games, silly," Adril said teasingly.
"Slow down, girls. Classes, as you call it, don't exist in the real world exactly like in games. You don't have a skill tree that only this or that 'class' can access. But Force-Users do have different specialisations. With me it's fire, with Mother telekinesis."
"And with that Sith Lord?"

"He could mess with the environment. Like me, but different. See, I draw power from within me. He seemed to draw it from the area around him. Summon extreme heat or cold, that kinda thing. And he could do alchemy, but it was a weird kind. Basically, he screwed with my armour. Couldn't move and it frakked up my limbs." She did not mention how afraid she'd been. Her final move had been born out of desperation rather than any calculated plan.

"Strange. I thought alchemy was all about creating monsters and enchanting items. That's why you need crutches?" Livia asked.
Elpsis nodded. "He was a tough bastard who knew his stuff, I'll give him that."
"He was mean. I'm glad he's dead," Adril spoke.
"Me, too," Livia chimed in.
"Galaxy's got a ton of those. Cut down one Sithy, there's more. Hell, many Jedi are terrible, too. As for how he died, I burnt his mask."
Adril frowned. "How would that do anything? Did you blow it up and roast his brain?"
"I know it. The mask was his power centre!" Livia declared triumphantly.
"Livy's right. Someone who understands alchemy better than me could explain it better, but I think he'd basically poured all his power into it."

"You're cool. And so brave," Adril applauded, clapping her little hands. "Mother will be so proud of you." There was a flicker of something on Elpsis' face. It was gone almost as soon as it appeared. "She'll be happy to have her little angels back," she said quietly, looking at her sisters.

"I'm sorry," Adril said softly, looking contrite.
"It's ok," Elpsis reached out to pat her little hand.
"She will wake up one day, won't she?" Livia asked, her voice hopeful and childlike. "Right?"
"She will. Firemane's got the best doctors, and the best security. She'll wake. We just gotta be patient, and continue where she left off. All we can do."

"When she wakes up, I'll tell her about all the cool stuff you've been doing. And if she still isn't nice to you, I'll tell her to stop being an arse," Adril declared.
"Addy, don't talk like that about Mother."
Adril glared at her twin. "Mother is mean to her."
"Mother just wants us all to be safe and live up to our potential."
Elpsis sighed. "Girls, sisters, this...this is nothing to argue about. Things are difficult between Mother and me, but that's just between us, ok? I want her to wake up just like you do. We're family, we gotta stick together."
"Ok," Adril conceded reluctantly.
"Ok." Livia had coloured slightly. "I didn't mean to say that, you know..."
"It's ok, I'm not angry, Livy. You don't have to...pick sides."

Livia nodded. "So when are you going to go back to the Forge?"
"Gonna be a while. Gotta heal up and all that."
"Can't you stay?" Adril asked hopefully. "You should. We miss you."
"I miss you too, sweetie."
"Then stay. I don't want you to go. Don't leave us alone."
"You're not alone. You've got...Harmony, Chesna, even Royal..."
"And they're not you."
"Sis, Elpsis has important work to do."
"And it can wait for a bit, can't it?" Adril stamped her foot. "Everyone always leaves. You went away, then Mother did..."
"Mother's not gone."
"She may die."

Realising what was truly bothering her sister, Elpsis leaned forward and hugged Adril. The girl did not respond at first, then threw her arms around her. She held on so tightly that Elpsis winced, but she did not push her away. "I love you both. And I swear I'll always come back. But there's people counting on me. My comrades need me. So do all the people who don't have any mothers or big sisters to protect them. You understand that, right?" Adril nodded. "I'll stay as long as I can, and when I've got shore leave, I'll come straight to you." Slowly, she withdrew.
"I love you too, sis," Adril spoke.
"Me, too."
"You still gonna send us away?"
Elpsis glanced at Adril, frowning. It took her a moment to connect the dots. "You talking about Mother's plan to show you more of the world, huh?"
"Yeah, she wanted to send me to the Vash.
"And me to the Xio," Livia added.
"How do you two feel about that?"
"Vash don't seem bad. Alisa is nice..." Adril looked hesitant, glancing at Livia.
"The Xioquo are intriguing. I talked a bit with Auntie Xalda," the girl bit her lip. "It's a bit scary though."

"You don't like the idea of being separated." Elpsis looked thoughtful. "Mother's idea isn't bad. You two gotta see more of the world." And get out of the ivory tower, she thought. Both girls had grown up in the lap of luxury and that would give them a skewed view of the world. "Tell you what, why don't you visit one of them together? Let's say the Vash. You spend a couple months there and we see how it works out and what you learned. And if it works out, you can stay with the Xio. It'll be an adventure! Sound good?"

Adril nodded. "Sounds okay. I like the Vash. I wanna see the forests and their big spiders."
"Vastyro would be nice to visit, and their druids sound interesting. But aren't they kind of primitive?" Livia queried. "They live in forests and there's animals everywhere."
"They're not primitive, sis. And that's not a good word to use. They don't have the toys we take for granted, but that doesn't make them lesser than us. They've adapted to nature and respect it, instead of pillaging it like many humans do. 'sides, it's not like they don't understand our tech. They just don't' want to lose their culture. They've partnered with the Wookiees to take the bits and pieces they need. I know some of their clans, so you'll be among reliable folks."

Livia looked a bit dubious, but nodded. "Okay, we can try. But Addy better not put a spider in my bed."
"I'd never ever do such a thing." Adril's innocent look did not look plausible at all.
"Adril Kerrigan-Alcori," Elpsis said very sharply.
"Fine, fine," her sister threw up her hands. "You sound like Mother!"
"Long as I don't get her grey hairs because of you." The eldest Kerrigan-Alcori daughter grumbled.

She turned, hearing soft footsteps, and saw Natalie approaching. "Hiding away from your fan club, Red?" the Essionian asked dryly. "Hello girls," she glanced at the children.
"Auntie Nat? Can you spin your revolvers for me again?" Adril asked exuberantly.
"Would you like to see what I've done with Code.org? It's real neat." That was Livia.
"Maybe later, girls."
"Sisters, can you give Natalie and me a moment? Kar'zakush can take you to go set some ice cream." Elpsis glanced briefly to the stoic Kar'zun bodyguard.
The twins shared a look. It was clearly a dismissal so that the grown-ups could do boring grown-up things. "You just want us out of the way so you can snog," Adril pointed at her accusingly.
"No, we've got...work stuff to talk about."
"Riiight..." Adril was cut off when Natalie decided to bend down and kiss Elpsis hard. It took a brief moment for Elpsis to reciprocate.
Adril made a face. "Eww, gross!" she opined.
Livia looked more thoughtful. "I dare say that there is something about it which keeps our sister doing it."
Adril got to her feet, rightly disgusted by these gross adults. "Ok, let's go."
Finally, Elpsis pulled back. "I'll remember this when you have a nice girl."
"And what if I want a boy?" Adril asked, as if this would be something that shocked her sister.
"Whatever makes you happy, dear. Now, come on."
A little deflated, Adril headed away. "Bye, Auntie Nat."
Livia had already gotten a move on and approached the Kar'zun Sergeant, who towered over everyone of them. "May I ride on your back? Please?"
"Fine. Don't touch the hair."

And so Elpsis and Natalie were left alone. "Light reading?" Natalie pointed at a stack of documents near Elpsis.
"I wish. Platoon stuff. Family matters," Elpsis shrugged.
"Welcome to bane of an officer's existence - paperwork."
"So how you been? That hurly-burly in the Empire keeping you busy?"
"Sort of," Natalie said enigmatically. "Did some clean-up for Firemane. You don't want the details."

Elpsis could imagine what sort of clean-up, but did not push. She knew the Essionian was far from squeaky clean, but she was a friend. She had risked life and limb for her on Tephrike. "Anything you can tell me about then?"
"I went back to Tephrike." She held up a hand before Elpsis could launch into a tirade. "I'm a big girl. I can take of myself. Been doing this a lot longer than you."
"You should've told me."
"Red, you have your job, I've got mine. It wasn't anything big. Trained a bunch of insurgents, carried out a hit in Vortanstad."
"What's that?"
"Dominion city. Well, one half's run by the Burlap Brigade - they call it the City of Harmonious Industry. Take it from me, it's harmony enforced at gunpoint. The other half's run by the Guard. I've been told the place used to be an industrial powerhouse, but now it's mostly rubble."
"Didn't think the Guard would attack a Dominion city head-on. They're mostly partisans, aren't they? Deadly in the jungle, but not equipped for pitched combat."

"They are. Seems they hoped the Dominion wouldn't get its act together that soon. Right now they can't seize the whole city, so they've settled for taking their half and tying the Dominion down."
"And the Dominion wants to bleed them out," Elpsis surmised.
"Yes. Firemane drops some bombs sometimes. I saw some...," Natalie paused, choosing her words. "Nasty chit - on both sides."
Elpsis' expression darkened. "I figured. No good guys there, just black and grey."
"For what it's worth, the Guard's been looking after the graves for all those Jedi kids at Purity. Sure, they're using it for propaganda, but still."

"That's something." Elpsis had not been at Purity, but she'd heard about it from people who had. Like Laira and Xalda. When it was clear the battle had been lost, General Kennobi had sent a horde of Younglings on a suicidal death charge. For what? The Firemane troops had been exhausted after a day of harsh fighting and had not had any stun weapons. If you hadn't been weak, if you hadn't let the Jedi capture you, those kids might still be alive, the inner voice said. The feeling of guilt was like the stab of an icy knife. I frakked up many things, but the Dominion sent those kids to their deaths, not me.

She shifted the topic. "Mahtara's running the Dominion now?" Natalie nodded at that. "Talked to Diona about her. Cliff notes: she's a ruthless tyrant, but smart. Respected."
"Your Jedi friend's hardly unbiased, but I'd say she's not altogether incorrect. Looks like the Dominion's built a large defensive wall to secure it's heartland. The Guard's fighting tooth and nail. And they're united behind the cause. But whoever wins will have to go through a meat grinder."
"Yeah," Elpsis said quietly, sighing. "Next time, we go together, okay?"
"I'm not going to be death charging anywhere. Just do some recon, lay the groundwork for when you and the Unchained can make your return. Not sure if you heard, but your rebel friends wanted to set up an observation post in the system. Could double as a place to bring fugitives to."

"I did, yes. Firemane's got its base, but they want to be autonomous. I approached Leonina about it, but I got told to..."
"Get lost?"
"Not quite like that. A junior officer is, well, junior. Lieutenant Kerrigan can't make policy. I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't want people to move heaven and earth for me just because what my last name is. I'm a soldier, I must follow the rules." She ran her left hand through her air.
"Yes, Lieutenant Kerrigan must follow orders," Natalie agreed. "However...Lady Kerrigan-Alcori has the money bags."
Realisation dawned upon Elpsis. "No one can tell the acting matriarch not to make a charitable donation to noble freedom fighters."
"It could, in fact, be argued that all those asteroids floating in the system are hers by right of conquest."
Elpsis chuckled a bit, then coughed. "Let's not go that far. Special fund for freedom fighters and refugees? I'm no good with money and I don't have the time to run any of that. But maybe Mara would do it. Perhaps with Purity."
"I don't know this Purity, but Mara's reliable. Eager to prove herself. It'll give her something useful to do that doesn't put her in the line of fire. Make it clear that this isn't a licence to to throw money at anyone with a sob story. Since you want to help the downtrodden, there was this Republican Guard refugee camp I visited. Sanctuary."
"Things are bad?"
"Poverty, disease, overcrowding - you name it. Now don't get your hopes up. Simply flooding it with money won't magically make things better. The people down there don't need a saviour."
"They need commitment. How's the Guard treating them?"

"The camp administrator's alright. His boss is whacked-out paranoid. Now you know my feelings on you Forcies. That power you have is like a drug. Negative feedback loop. Some can handle it, most don't."
"Not an analogy I like."
"Point is, I get why they're paranoid about Forcies, especially since all they're Jedi are crazy. Anyways, if you want to help there, expect suspicion, and make sure they don't screw you over. In fact, operate under the assumption that a good chunk of the donations you send won't reach the people you're trying to help."
"Could insist on a local rep. Maybe our own warehouse," Elpsis wondered aloud, frowning. "If...if a refugee found to be Force-Sensitive, they lock them away, don't they?"
"Yeah. They've banned lynchings, but, you know, it still happens. Sometimes the Guard actually saves them from the mob."

"What if we offered to take them in? Keeps them out of their hair, without putting them in the clutches of the Jedi and the Vaderites."
"Huge chance they'll think you're trying to steal their people and indoctrinate them, but worth a shot. Mara and Purity can't run this fund or foundation or whatever you want to call it on their own. Mara's smart, but kind of mousey. You want to keep this separate from Firemane and make it a family thing, so you need someone who can bludgeon their way through bureaucracy."
"I have the feeling I'm not gonna like what you're about to say."
"No, you're not. It's about a certain Chiss."
"Royal's a frakking snake."
"And eager to please you since her patron's a coma patient and she's not getting invites to board meetings anymore."
"I don't want her to please me. Or be anywhere near me."
"I mean, I'm sure she'd be great at it if you bedded her. Your Mother was clearly satisfied," Natalie said very dryly.
Elpsis huffed. "Enough of that. I don't trust her. She just fed Mother's ego for power and money. She's a parasite."
"And that recommends her for the job. Self-interest is a more reliable motivation than idealism. Keep her at arm's length, but use her and she won't have a reason to sabotage you out of pettiness. She knows how to grease the gears. It's what she's been doing for your Mother when she wasn't licking her boots. Besides, do you have a replacement handy?"
"No, I don't," Elpsis admitted after a moment.
"I mean, I'm sure Danton will have a suggestion, but that'll be someone in her pocket. She'd make it about Firemane. I don't fault her for that. It's her job."
"Fine. Alright, I'll have a chat with Royal."

"And just to make sure she's in the right mind set, I can see what I can dig up on her. We all got skeletons, and I'm sure hers will be fun." Natalie got to her feet. "Well, gotta go. One last thing about Tephrike."
"Yeah?"
"The Guard thinks the Vaderites may be gearing up for something. They don't know what. But there's been a crackdown in their alien 'reservations'. Grain quotas have soared, while rations for aliens plummet. And a week ago one of their concentration camps received a massive influx construction material."
"What's the camp called?"
"Camp Progress. Massive slave camp where inmates are worked to death. They have many of those, but something big is going on there."
Elpsis' eyes narrowed. "Find out all you can."
"Will take a while. You'll be the first to know."

((Told from Kyriaki's point of view. Represents a far-off future scenario.))

Elpsis was never one for pomposity. The final resting place of her ashes is a simple matter. A humble tombstone on the top of a hill at the edge of a forest. Marked with her name.
Elpsis Kerrigan-Alcori, beloved daughter, sister, partner, friend.
She saved many innocent lives.

It's hard to imagine that it's been about twenty years since she saved me from Tephrike. A planet that almost killed her the first time she came. A hellhole no one in their right mind would want to return to. A fool's quest no one sane would undertake. Yet she did. For someone she knew nothing about save that she was her clone. I come here every year with flowers to tell her what's been going on in my life. I place the flowers at her tombstone and sit down.

"Hey, Elpsis, it's, uh, been a while. I was re-elected as Advocate. It wasn't an easy election. Apparently listening to my speeches is like staring at a statue that talks. Badly. But it seems the people liked common sense politics enough to forgive that. The Free Communes are growing. People's lives aren't easy, but they have education, employment, freedom...I hope you won't be too grumpy about me failing to exercise my veto against them naming a school after you. You'd be proud of Rhea. She's grown into her own as a leader. We make a good team, surprisingly. Shakka and I have...we're not friends....I don't think we can be. but we can talk to each other." I pause.

"And...I'm married. I like to think one of my old teachers suffered a stroke after having a vision of me saying yes to a 'xenos'." I chuckle a bit before my expression turns more serious. "She...knows everything about my past. She loves me anyway. You'd like her."

"We're not done with Tephrike. Nor am I. The Vaderites have splintered. Petty lords are fighting over the scraps, slaves are rising up, the Dominion and the Guard are trying to pick up the pieces. But they're still dangerous enough to cause misery. We've got confirmation of an extremist faction using chemical weapons against civilians. It's time to continue where we left off – and finish this." The wind brushes against my skin. Tears are forming in my eyes. My voice wavers. "May you be happy wherever you are." I take a breath. "I love you."

And I feel a presence I have not felt in a long time. "Enyo Typhos. You're supposed to be dead." I stare into a face that is the spitting image of Siobhan Kerrigan – just younger. Dark shirt, cargo pants. no visible weapons, other than the lightsabre on her belt. Not that Enyo needs weapons to kill anyone.
Her face is expressionless, but there is something...off about her aura. "Mortality is such an organic concern."
"What do you want? Firemane security will..."
She cuts me off. " I didn't come here to fight. I was visiting Siobhan and...we have a few minutes, I reckon. "
And somehow, I believe her. " A truce then." Elpsis would have never offered that. She would have struck her with righteous fury for all the evil she has done and undoubtedly still does. But she's useful. And a lot stronger than me.

"Yes." She crosses the distance and stands alongside me. "Curious that she's here...and not over there in that absurd mausoleum they built for Siobhan. "
"Believe me, Siobhan wanted Elpsis to be buried with her. But that wasn't Elpsis. I had to put my foot down. There was yelling, then she relented. Truth be told, I didn't entirely live up to my promise. Elpsis wanted her ashes scattered to the winds, but...I needed a place to visit her. I'm selfish that way."
She gives me a knowing look – thousand miles stare in her eyes. "Love is fundamentally selfish. She died in battle, yes?"
"She could never slow down. Never stop. I hate her a bit for it, even as I love her for it."
"And Siobhan died of a heart attack, of all things," Enyo scoffs. "To rise so far and then to perish to an enemy so minuscule. Mundane. She knew her components were defective, but she never replaced them. Stupid. I was angry when I heard the news. "

"Thought you hated her."
"Once. It is of no consequence now. It's just us now, Kyriaki. The clones of mother and daughter. The last of the Kerrigans."
Many absurd things have happened in my life. Bonding with a death machine at the grave of my sister still ranks pretty high. But then we've both done terrible things. For survival for power, for security. "I'm no Kerrigan. Or an Elaris, for that matter."
"You're more of a Kerrigan than those pampered brats on the Arx."
Livia and Adril. Elpsis loved them. I never felt much of a connection to them. "They've been through their own share of trials."
"Not like us or Elpsis or Siobhan, for that matter."

My eyes are hard and cold. No one should ever have to do the things I did to survive. "Hardly a badge of honour. No one should go through what we did. I won't scorn them for being well-adjusted human beings."
"The true trial is yet to come. Perhaps my 'nieces' on Tygara will impress me. I have heard rumblings about a Saobana...rallying Qadiri to her cause. The next decades will be interesting to watch."
I raise an eyebrow at that. What she says is true. I'm sure many Firemane pen-pushers curse the day Siobhan decided to legitimise a bunch of Qadiri and Xioquo ex-slaves who took her name. "Your doing?"
"I'm sure Firemane would love to attribute it to me and not their own failings."
"Surely Archangel would love the opportunity to expand its interests and gain an edge over the competition. Especially one you've obsessed over for so long."

She shrugs indifferently. "I don't run it anymore."
"You were toppled? Did the loyalty of your 'siblings' run out?"
Her eyes flash. "I gave it to people who still feel enthusiasm for its work instead of ennui."
"Don't tell me you felt the call of conscience." I would not believe a word of it if she claimed such. I know how Archangel conducts its business. It is a machine of death – albeit a lot saner than the tyrants whose chains I cast off.

"What do you think I am? Human? I am what I am. I make no apologies for my actions. But I've grown weary of this world, the stupidity, the short-sightedness. So I shall simply...watch." Even butchers get tired, it would seem.
"You lost a part of yourself when Siobhan died." So did I when Elpsis fell. I remember something the machine woman told me once. "'Clones are like children trying to escape cloying parents.'" I am met with stony silence for several heartbeats. It is all the confirmation I need.
"You are not done with Tephrike."
A statement of fact, not a question. "The Dominion may be playing at liberalisation and the Humanists have de-Vaderised themselves, but scratch the surface and nothing has changed. And the Vaderite civil war is getting out of control. Our work is unfinished. I have a few old 'colleagues' to deal with."

"Hmm. You will find this useful, niece." For just a moment irrational paranoia flares inside me when she reaches for something in her backpack. To my surprise, she retrieves a...neat folder with aurebesh sigils and a datapad and passes them to me.
After a moment, I take both and start flipping through the folder. It takes me but a moment to realise what she has handed me. "How did you get this?"
"I sold the Dominion a droid army in its darkest hour. Some of your former colleagues among the Vaderites also took an interest. I know what my creations know. Every piece of intel they've gathered is contained there. And if you check the datapad you'll find the command codes."
Assuming they haven't wiped the machines clean. But even so, the implications are staggering. Orders of battle, intercepted communications, missile sites, secret bases – my mind is reeling with possibilities. "Just like that?" She says nothing. "Tell me the catch."

"I want to see what you do with it. Consider it a gift from your mechanical aunt, if you like. Try to 'save' your planet if you like, no matter how futile that is. Or damn it even further, if that's possible. Just make a choice and make sure it is yours and you're not just chasing your template, trying to be someone you are not."
My eyes narrow slightly. "I am no child on a futile quest to be her. I was born on that hellhole of a planet. If anything, it was I who pushed her to go back. Elpsis was ever the Cylix. Deadly, dangerous, unpredictable. No man dared tread on her. I was the grass. Pleasant, complaisant, sweet-smelling, swaying with every breeze. Who fears to walk upon the grass? But it is the grass that hides the Cylix. from her enemies and shelters her until she strikes. It's my turn now. I fight my own way – with the dagger, not the broadsword. I could not be her, she could not be me."

"Remember that. And don't grow so obsessed with a cause that it consumes you." She starts to walk away. "Causes, ideals, nations, flags – none of them matter. They rise and fall, and the clock keeps ticking. Those who sing your praises today will sharpen their daggers tomorrow to stab you in the back."

"I survived a viper's nest. I was one of those vipers. I don't need a lecture from you, Enyo."
"Then never forget what that nest taught you."
"I see the fruits of those lessons every day. And I escaped it because the woman lying in that grave did something utterly illogical. Maybe you should remember what led you here - purposeless and lost."
Her eyes narrow. "How organic of you. There's no point in having faith in anything...except your family. Until the day when the clock strikes midnight, and the end comes."
Then she is gone. And it is just me and Elpsis. I bend down to touch her tombstone. It is getting dark. "I'll be back. One day we'll be together again. May you be at peace. Feel free to haunt me whenever your Lifeweb lets you pop by."

((Big thanks to mah superbuddy Loske Treicolt Loske Treicolt for the awesome art!))

Every company had its own media arm to communicate its goals to consumers and the public at large and put itself in a good light. In the case of Firemane, it was not just a corporation unaccountable to any planetary or interstellar government, but in many ways a quasi-governmental entity in its own right. Thus in many ways, its media arm performed the functions of an information ministry.

Or a propaganda department, if one was feeling cynical. Or honest, depending on one's point of view. Given Firemane's strong military trappings, it was only natural that its media arm did its best to put the armed forces in the limelight...and present a positive image. The public needed 'heroes'. If their image had to be massaged and their deeds somewhat embellished, so be it. If the heroes in question were unhappy about the circus, they had to suck it up. And this was what brought a rather annoyed Elpsis to the Firetruth studio.

"Where are your medals? You have more than two. And you were supposed to wear your parade dress uniform," Vivian declared crossly. The statuesque, dark skinned woman was beautifully dressed in an elegant pantsuit. She was the head of Firetruth and a member of Firemane's ruling oligarchy. "I told you what she was supposed to wear," she informed her colleague Royal, the Chiss majordomo of Firemane's first family.
"Elpsis, dear, we talked about this," the Chiss spoke. Her chiding tone was less cross and more...a bit disappointed. Like a parent who was mildly unhappy when their child failed to get a good grade on a test. She was beautifully dressed as usual. Indeed, she could've passed for an aristocra, though she had grown up dirt poor.

All this heightened Elpsis' annoyance. "We didn't talk. You told me parade dress and medals everywhere, I decided no." The Lieutenant wore a standard, olive green Firemane dress uniform with her rank insignia and the Order of Fire symbol. She had foregone all valorous decorations except the Wounded Badge and the Phoenix Cross pinned to her chest. The latter, more prestigious award came with a ribbon and the cross itself, which showed a stylised phoenix.

Her face, framed by her red hair, was viciously scarred. Her cybernetic arm was not covered by a glove or synthflesh. "This is me; this is what I wear. It's already uncomfortable as hell." The uniform jacket felt like velvet to her.
Vivianne's temper flared. "Do you realise how much time and effort went into planning this campaign? Or the movie?"
"Never asked for either."
"I'm afraid this is about something more important than your personal wants. It's about promoting Firemane, and its people. You have privileges many girls can only dream of." The Dahomian checked her chronometre. "Great, we're set to go live soon. But we should have enough time to fetch you something appropriate...."
"I'm wearing this."
Vivianne was close to saying something scathing, when Royal stepped in, raising her hand placatingly. "I'm sure this will suffice. We want our little Phoenix to be comfortable, don't we? The past few months have been hard on her. You can put a positive spin on it."

One could almost see the gears moving in Vivianne's ever-active mind. "Hmm. Yes, authenticity. The Fire Princess does not need finery and frillery. Her actions speak for her, not medals. Her simplicity shows her close bond with the troops."
"Is everything spin to you?" Elpsis exclaimed rhetorically, earning a glare. "Let's get this over with."
"I trust you've reviewed the list of questions and my...'recommendations' for your answers. Smile for the cameras, don't say anything controversial, don't comment on Board policy. Do weave in some personal anecdotes about your adventures and family life. The plebs eat that sort of thing up," Vivianne declared authoritatively. "When you're asked about Siobhan's conditions, assure the public that she is being given the best of care and will soon be able to take the reins again."
"In the interim, House Kerrigan-Alcori's affairs are in good hands under your leadership. You are humbled by this great honour, but you learned from your mother and have trusted advisors to assist you," Royal chimed in. She happened to be one of those 'trusted advisors'.
"I'm the dancing monkey being used to put on a show for the crowd."

Vivianne was a talented woman, but not used to being questioned. And she had a...temper. "Why do you think Firemane always lets you charge into battle whenever you feel like death charging? Instead of just letting you patrol space in the middle of nowhere or spend all your time teaching naive Padawans how to lift pebbles? Because the Order doesn't have Masters who are stronger and more experienced than you? More adept at avoiding getting their limbs blown off? Of course it has them. But Kerrigan did not go to war to save them from captivity. Firetruth didn't make a movie all about their dramatic rescue, and they're not called Kerrigan. It's your brand, and the public wants to believe you're a dashing hero, regardless of whether the label fits or not. The public doesn't want to hear the messy, sordid truth. They wants to see someone they'd like to be, and hear a truth that'll make them happy."

"I guess that's why all the posters show me without scars? And why that chick in Heroes is so whitewashed she's got almost nothing in common with me?"
"Yes. So for heaven's sake, stop sulking."
Elpsis stepped forward, then again. Until she was very close to the Dahomian's face. "You know, sometimes I wonder what made my mother this...pompous. Was it because she changed on her own after she got more money than she'd ever need or because she was surrounded by court lackeys, day in, day out?" She could feel the fire rising inside her. The idea of punching the other woman in the face was tempting.

"Easy for a girl who had the luck to be adopted into a rich family to scorn their wealth while benefiting from it all the same. That arm didn't come cheap, did it? Now get a hold of yourself. The show awaits."
Stepping forward, Royal put an arm around the young woman. "You must excuse, Auntie Viv. This is a very big project for her. And a brilliant opportunity for you to raise your image. Visibility means influence. You will benefit from it as well, my dear."

"I'm sure you will," Elpsis muttered. With a sigh, she allowed herself to be led away.
"We're all in this together, dear. Just a few interviews here, some apparances at social functions there. It's a way for the public to get to know you, and what you've done and sacrificed for Firemane."

"Yeah, right." Something very scatological was on Elpsis' tongue. But she was inevitably led to the Firetruth studio. The 'Fire Princess' walked with a slight, but noticeable limp.

An attractive, well-dressed Twi'lek woman. She wore a close fitting dress and high heels. The journalist greeted Elpsis with a smile and shook her hand. "Welcome, Elpsis. Just on time. Let's get started, shall we?"
Elpsis forced a smile. "Yes, let's."
If she noticed her discomfort, the journalist did not let it show. Sitting down, she adjusted her speaking notes.
A burly Wookiee camerman held up his hand. "And we're live in four, three...two...one..."And then the show was on.
The Twi'lek looked into the camera, flashing a bright, winning smile that showed perfect teeth. "Good evening, Firemane. "I'm Hirani Passik, with Firetruth News Services, and this is FireNight." In the background, one could see an image of the Arx Aeternae cityscape. There was also the Firetruth logo and various propaganda, including a rather fetching, dramatic looking poster.

"With us tonight is none other than the daughter of Lady Siobhan Kerrigan, Baroness Elpsis Kerrigan-Alcori, acting head of House Kerrigan-Alcori, Mistress of the Order of Fire, and Lieutenant in Firemane's Army. Welcome, milady."
"Lieutenant Kerrigan's fine," Elpsis cut in.
"Oh, of course...Lieutenant."
There was the briefest of pauses. "I'm glad to be here. Thanks for the, uh, opportunity." Elpsis added, having apparently realised this was a thing she was supposed to say. She smiled, but her smile was thin and lacking in mirth.

"No, thank you, Lieutenant. Your exploits have made waves across Firemane. Many residents have been waiting for the chance to hear from the Fire Princess. I'm sure there are many questions people would like to ask, and perhaps things you would like to convey to the public. So let's get started." She smiled for the cameras.

"Lieutenant Kerrigan, I understand you are recovering from another in a long string of battlefield injuries. Are you trying to win the award for the most Wounded Badges?"
Elpsis' expression was humourless. "I ain't in this for medals. Killing bad guys' is my job. Injuries happen when people shoot at you. Or throw rubble, whatever. Could do without the badges, but the regs say I gotta get them."
Hirani leaned towards her, a seemingly empathic expression written across her features. "It must take great courage to face the horrors you do. Going into battle after battle, knowing every one could be your last. Especially at so young an age."
Elpsis paused for a moment. "I...guess," she said awkwardly. "Tons of people do more. And they do it without the Force or a rich family that can put them back together after their body's broken. That's real courage."
"Modesty is a welcome trait, but you shouldn't sell yourself short. I'm happy to see you have a new arm. Made by Firemane, I assume. How's the adjustment going?"
"Getting there. Best not to open any jars with it, if you get my drift," Elpsis chuckled slightly. "Got a lot of power. A friend made it, with the help of some alchemists in the company."
"You lost it at Ziost, didn't you? Fighting that terrible monster that had overrun an Alliance warship."
"Well, she'd had help, but yeah. It got crushed by rubble, then we ended up spaced. Got frostbite."
"Terrible. For the benefit of our viewers, how did you manage to survive?"
"My crew. They saved me. Would've died otherwise. I'm blessed to have a squad like that. Good people. The best."
"It is a blessing for Firemane to have such soldiers. So on to other matters, I understand that you are going to be depicted in another blockbuster movie! How does that make you feel?"

Elpsis suppressed a groan. She had not liked the first movie. "Well...," she paused, "I'm not really involved much, but I've described my experiences to the folks making it and the people who'll be starring. And I gave some pointers on the Forcy stuff. I hope my squad gets the attention they deserve in the final cut. All of them. But...I got to meet Kira again. Kira Zanaan. That's great!"
"Your actress from Heroes? I read she's reprising the role."

"Yeah, that's her!" The smile that graced Elpsis' lips was a genuine one. "She's amazing. Really gets into the material. Does her own stunts. When Firetruth made Heroes, she lost broke two teeth while doing a fight scene but she just carried on. Even shaved her head for Heroes. She's never fussy about not looking pretty."
"You two sound close."
"Yeah. After Tephrike I, well, didn't really wanna talk about what had...happened. It was...painful. But she visited me cause she wanted to know the full story. Even stuff that...was unpleasant." The things that had not made it into the script because they put her in a less than heroic light. The Elpsis of the movie had never broken under torture, succumbed to brainwashing and murdered a comrade. She'd accepted her duty to carry on Siobhan's legacy. In short, she'd been what her mother wanted her to be, regardless of what she wanted. For a moment Elpsis looked melancholic, but then she brightened.

"Gotta say, she's way better with a sword than me. So if you see movie Elpsis do wicked things with a blade...that's because Kira's a natural. I'm like baseline. We sparred once without either of us using the Force, and she won."
"I hope no Sith is watching this," Hirani joked. "Otherwise they may have figured out the perfect tactic to use against you next time."
"Means I have to throw more fire. And get a bigger gun."

"'Peace through superior firepower' is the motto of the Order, after all. I'm sure our viewers will be watching the development of the movie with great interest. I believe a trailer is scheduled to come out in two weeks," the Twi'lek spoke into the camera. "In fact, we have a new poster right here." At that the camera shifted to give a full view of a very awesome, dramatic looking poster.

b1c76a6f8dd247622e883ff9395d1c9a.png

"What do you think it, Lieutenant Kerrigan?"
"Well, we've got great artists, so I'm sure I'd love it...if I could see it," Elpsis responded...very bluntly.
The journalist looked a bit flustered, but recovered. "It's very inspirational. Moving on, FireNews has released a survey showing you are in the top five most eligible bachelorettes in the whole company. Do you have any plans to settle down with a family?"

"Who are the others?" Elpsis asked rhetorically. "To answer your question, no I don't. Settling down, that's not for me. I don't want kids and a white picket fence. My place's on the frontier. The frontlines. And I don't see that changing any time soon. Too much to do."
"No special woman in your life? I know there's been gossip in the papers linking you to various ladies."
"I've...I've been blessed with girls who are special to me and I care for. But I don't want to play house. And I respect their privacy, so I'd rather not blurt out their names." Her tone brokered no contradiction.
"Certainly, Lieutenant. Being publicly linked to a woman so much in the limelight can be...trying. We know from our sources that you've been taking care of your little sisters, Adril and Livia."

"Yeah, I try. I'm their big sis, and I love them. They don't like it when duty calls me away, which I can't blame 'em for. But I'd do anything for them. We got a whole staff to help out, but it's my job to protect them."
"It must be difficult to have to step up and fill your Mother's shoes, especially under these circumstances. Speaking of which, the great Siobhan Kerrigan, is still in a coma. Do you have any insight into when she will be awake and back into action?"
"No, I've only been told what the doctors have said. We've got good doctors, well, expensive ones, so I'm sure she's being looked after well. She'll wake when she, uh wakes."

"We all hope that this day will be soon. One final question: it is my understanding that you a close bond with the Vashyada. In fact, you have a Vashyada on your team and received tuition from Lady Tylania, their spiritual leader."

"Yeah, Shikoba. Brave, loyal. Knows all sorts of things about the Force I have no clue of," Elpsis spoke firmly. Shikoba was strange and creepy, but a good person. And she had saved her life. "Lady Tylania helped me recover after Tephrike. Also helped my mother when she was...sick." That was the diplomatic way Firemane referred to Siobhan's stroke. "The Vash are great people."

"Which is why the interim administration has been strengthening ties with them. Recently, Firemane has started working on a joint project to build a refinery on their coast. The South Sea Gas Refinery. It will provide power and jobs for thousands. What's your take on this?"

"I..." She had been told to stick to the script, but the urge was too strong. "I think the reporting about it has been one-sided."
"I beg your pardon?"
"Look, it's great to make sure our friends on Tygara have the tools to make sure they don't get pushed around, but I think this project's more about the profits of a small minority than the people down there. For one, there's concerns about it being safe for the enviroment. There's such an amazing biodiversity in Yarkul's waters. Plus, it'll compromise land and sea a Vash tribe considers holy. They have a shrine on that coast."

"But surely everyone will benefit. They'll have jobs, modern technology and..."
"Maybe you should ask the people on the ground what they need instead of making assumptions because you wanna make money. There's this weird idea that we know best because they don't have our toys. They're honest, brave people and they don't slaughter each other. They don't need some human's burden crap, just a fair deal. Little humility would do some good. The developers claim they talked with the chiefs, but I've got doubts about how..."
And then suddenly she was cut off. "Unfortunately, Lieutenant, we're experiencing some technical difficulties. But we'll be right back."

Then a door opened and Vivian stepped in. She looked...very unhappy. "What the hell was that about? You had one job. Stick to the script. Promote Firemane. How could you be so stupid to do this live? Foolish girl." She glared at the technicians. "Why didn't you cut off earlier?" she raged. "There will be consequences."
Elpsis simply stood up. "If you want me interviewed I'm going to reply as I decide, I am not your puppet. I told my Mother I wouldn't be her puppet, and you're not her. None of you are."
Royal just gave her a sad, almost pitying look but said nothing. Without a further word, Elpsis walked away.

"...The space battle was already ongoing when my team boarded the superweapon. Think we saw an Alliance warship get destroyed. Anyway, the torpedo got us aboard. The detonation took care of the initial hostiles, but we were attacked not long after landing," Elpsis reported.

A coalition of the willing had come to Csilla to save it from a horde of savages. A great battle had been fought in space, on the planet and the superweapon itself. They had come close to stopping the apocalypse. So very close. But, at the end of the day, 'close' was just a euphemism for failure. There were no do-overs, no second chances. Not in this life, at any rate. Now the planet was a barren husk, stripped of life. Its people were ashes. She had felt their deaths and heard their screams when their voices were silenced.

Elpsis' tone was mechanical as she relayed the details of their mission. It was her way of dealing. Some would feel a profound sorrow at the cruel murder of innocent life and. But the feeling she felt above all was just burning desite to kill the perpetrators and Sith in general. Grieving for the dead did not bring them back. Weeping for them was self-pity. Her faith postulated that death was not the end, but that rang hollow right now. She had not slept since embarking on the ill-fated mission. There were bags under her eyes. Her face sported fresh scars and bruises.

Sitting behind a table, she faced the officers heading the briefing. Of the two, her company commander spoke first. "Elaborate on your opposition. Characteristics, composition. This is the first time Firemane forces faced this Brotherhood," Captain Sha Rezz, a Rodian, spoke. She wore the olive green uniform of Firemane's ground forces, with the Order of Fire symbol on her chest.

"Savage, fanatical. Use wave tactics a lot. It's largely cultists and irregulars. Quality seems to vary a good deal, as does equipment. But they're backed up by plenty of darkside adepts - Ren, Sith. And they're zealots. One tried to suicide bomb me."
"Similar to the Bando Gora then," Rezz remarked to their mutual superior.
Colonel Lucille Guyenne said nothing in response. Elpsis could not see her facial expression, but her aura was that of a woman who might as well have been carved out of granite. "Continue," was all the Colonel said.

"My squad was dealing with the horde when I was engaged by a Sith Lord. Sorceress type. I fought her. She summoned demons, threw lightning around...I was able to beat her. But," Elpsis paused. What she was about to say was difficult, not the least due to the memories it had awakened. But she had a responsibility that went beyond her ego.
"But?" Rezz prodded. "We're waiting."
"She was able to get in my head. Briefly. Messed with my perception of reality. Brought up bad memories...of Tephrike, my father."
"Get to the point, Lieutenant," Guyenne stated flatly.
She took a breath. "I went berserk. Blasted fire everywhere. Agent Dorne was injured. Shikoba had to help her. Corporal Diona managed to reach out to me and help me get my head in order, but she was stabbed in the process. She, Vykaris and Rhea held the line."

Guyenne frowned disapprovingly. "I see. Continue."
"The Sith was beaten by the end of the fight. Would've killed her, but a suicide bomber got between us. Many of the remaining minions had lost heart. My team had given them a real beating, but we'd all suffered injuries. We tried to patch each other up as was feasible. And shot any wounded Mawist who was still breathing. We had to make sure they wouldn't ambush us with hidden explosives." And those who served a cause so vile did not deserve to live.
"Sensible," Guyenne commented. Leaning towards the droid keeping the minutes, she added: "Phrase it as follows: removed risk from compromised enemy assets."

Meanwhile, Rezz continued the debriefing. "Your tactical objective was the main shield generator, correct?"
"Yes, ma'am. that's where we proceeded to."
"There were various other boarding parties aboard the superweapon. Were you aware of them?" Rezz asked.
"Aware in a general sense, but that's it."
"There was no attempt at coordination?"
"Honestly, the impression I get is that everyone just showed and went to fight a darkside adept or eliminate a target they thought would do damage. I can't speak for what went on in the fleet battle."
"That's what happens when you think you can win battles through bravura alone. I suppose it's to be expected from an alliance of people who'd shoot at each other on a good day. All wanted to swoop in and get the glory of destroying the next death star," Guyenne said caustically. "Their lack of intel is absurd. How could no one amongst the major powers have learned of this threat in advance rather than scrambling only once it was moving on Csilla?" she asked in a tone laced with scorn. "The unpreparedness is the natural result."

"Your coordination with allied forces was lacking. But it's clear that the problems started at a level far above your rank. The allied forces failed to impose a plan of action. Continue with your report."
"Yes, ma'am," Elpsis gave her Captain a curt nod. "We managed to storm the generator, and eliminate hostiles there. I assigned Dorne and Corporal Rhea to set explosives. Vykaris, Diona, Shikoba and I held off a Brotherhood counterattack. Dorn sliced the generator to set it to overload. We succeeded, but ammo was running low, we were all wounded and there were more enemy reinforcements en route. So I gave the order to pull out."

A decision that would continue to weigh on her. Had it been cowardly? Could she have done more? She would not allow herself to sink into self-pity. Stand in the ashes of trillions and ask them whether your petty feelings of guilt matter. Their silence would be the answer.
Perhaps Rezz sensed her thoughts. "Your personal commitment is not in doubt, Lieutenant. You evidently succeeded in sabotaging the shield generator, and brought your team back home alive. By all accounts, the battlestation's reactor and targeting system were failing, too. But Csilla was destroyed regardless. That makes the mission a failure."
"And we must learn from what happened and determine what went wrong, I get that," Elpsis replied. "My team was in a crappy state. Shikoba was probably doing the best among us, but she's a support player, not a frontline fighter. Corporal Rhea wanted to fight on. But I made the call to pull out. I don't think anyone expected the Brotherhood would ram the damn thing into the surface. But assumption's the mother of defeat."

"If you'd pushed on and disabled the engines, you might not have made it off the station. But casualties are an inevitable byproduct of war."
Elpsis' milky-white eyes did not waver from Guyenne's visage. "I'm ready to sacrifice myself, ma'am."
The Colonel brushed her words aside. "No one doubts that, considering the eagerness with which you throw yourself into every fight Firemane has a vestigial interest in. But you have trouble sacrificing those under your command. It's the mark of an officer to know when to send a subordinate to their death."

"A larger team might've helped. You took the most experienced members of your first squad. That was sensible. It was no place to send trainees. but a backup team drawn from the other squads could've been of use," Rezz interjected.
"I chose the most experienced that were available on short notice, but yeah. Could've split and coordinated via Enlightenment or those Villips we got from AE. But it was difficult to get off the station, as is. The enemy sealed off the hangars and threw hordes of cultists at us, so we had to fight our way out. Shikoba had to summon ghosts to get the horde off our back on the way to the airlock, and then the team held off another attack while Vykaris and I made a door. We spacewalked to the rendezvous point and activated the locator signal for pickup."

She paused, picking up the glass of water to take a sip from it. She purposefully used her organic hand. The cybernetic one still had the unfortunate habit of crushing a glass. Besides, it was still missing two fingers. "When we boarded our ride, we saw the death star race towards the planet. The fleets hit it, but nothing they attempted could stop it."

There was a moment of silence, ere Guyenne broke out. "This battle was a defeat. Your team completed its assignment, but no honours were earned here. This impromptu 'coalition' failed." She looked at Elpsis seriously, her grey eyes seemingly boring into her. "Captain Rezz knows this mystical stuff better than me, but I understand a Force-User like you would've felt these mass deaths?"

"Yes, ma'am. I felt it. But I had a squad to take care of. That's more important than my personal feelings," Elpsis responded sincerely. "I'm an empath, so I got a grip on blotting out people's suffering from early on. Otherwise I'd be unable to function."
"You are capable of fulfilling your duties then, Lieutenant." It was phrased as a statement rather than a question.
"Yes, Colonel."
"Good. Because the coming months will be very trying. High command will be breathing down our neck to scramble our meage resources to do...something. Not that the chairwarmers have any clue of what we should be doing. Hit back against mad cultists, somehow accommodate desperate, traumatised refugees we lack the means to help. The last thing this command has time for is a junior officer who doesn't have her head in the game."

Elpsis' expression was cold and hard. Her words were terse. "If I needed any motivation to get my head 'in the game', Csilla has given me plenty, ma'am. I'll do whatever it takes."

"Your susceptibility to the Sith's mental hocus pocus, however brief, must be addressed. That you managed to shake it off and beat her is to your credit, but you endangered your squad. That is on you. You're fortunate they had enough confidence in you not to shoot you. Assuming the Sith survived the explosion, she'll reflect on the confrontation and work on fixing the flaws in her technique. You must do the same. I expect you to be better equipped next time a Sith crawls into your head. Your unit is your responsibility. I need an officer, not a psychological basketcase. Captain, I trust you can arrange the necessary sessions. Make sure the Lieutenant faces whatever voodoo Forcers use until she's fixed the problem."

There were bosses who gave you a pat on the back and said it wasn't your fault. Guyenne was not one of them. Which was good in Elpsis' books. A boss who acted like they were her friend just wanted to use her because of her family name. And she did not want someone to mother her. She already had two mothers. One was a comatose despot, the other a luxury-obsessed coward. She was the only Kerrigan-Alcori still in the fight.

"I'm ready to face and do whatever's needed." There was no doubt in Elpsis' words.
"I'll see to it myself. I have a certain expertise in the matter. More efficient than trying to make arrangements with OOF HQ."
"I'm ready. Can we start today?"
Rezz shook her head. "It's no use pushing you right now when you're already a mess. You look like crap, Lieutenant. I'll see you tomorrow at 0500."
"You're dismissed, Lieutenant Kerrigan," Guyenne spoke.
Pain shot through her leg her when Elpsis got to her feet. Nonetheless, she snapped to attention and saluted, with near bone-cracking efficiency. Then she limped out of the briefing room.

Outside Natalie was leaning against the wall, smoking. "You still look like crap, Red. How'd the grilling go, only light scorch marks - like you gave me?" The dig was clear, but Elpsis let it slide. To push back would be petty. "Anyway, I'm in next, though not sure why a Colonel wants to talk to me. Must be that I got some technical readouts from this station. Maybe Firemane wants to build one for 'protective' purposes, call it the Firestar or some dumb name."

Elpsis snorted. "I'm fire-proof. Wouldn't put it past 'em. I'm afraid building and maintainig it is a little beyond them though. Probably for the best."
Natalie took a drag from her cigarra, then slowly let out a stream of smoke. "Personally, I'd use one to blow up all those cursed hellholes Forcers go on a power binge on. Korriban, Ziost, Malachor. Anyone who lives there is crazy anyway."
"Sith are like roaches. The moment you think you got rid of them, they're infesting the neighbourhood again."
"Maybe it's because someone hasn't gone far enough."
"I told them about what happened on the station between us. It's on me. Gonna go through additional training."
"Good on you. Make sure your head gets screwed right."
"I was fighting back, you know. Not like you were immune when Xiangu messed with your mind."
"No, but I didn't try to run you over. And I'm not a Forcer, just a squib. Good on you to take responsibility. Instead of blathering about how you lost control and we should feel sorry for you."
"Standard excuse for any Jedi or Sith. I'm not like them."
"No, you're not. But you use the same drug. You know it's funny. When a normal spice addict goes overboard, nine times out of ten, he just hurts himself. But when you Forcers do it, tons of people die."
The door opened and a protocol droid stepped out. "They're ready for you, Agent Dorne."
Natalie put out her cigarra and tossed it into the trash. "Catch you later, Red." And then she was gone. Elpsis limped away. She needed something to hit.

Where once there had been a world teeming with life, now there was just a barren wasteland. But the echo of its people's suffering still carried. A tale of callous, pointless destruction. Shikoba was no stranger to the embrace of death. She had traversed the spirit realm, and now her mind seemed to spend as much time in it as it did in the realm of the living. She saw the spirits of those others had killed coalesce around them. She heard the unjustly murdered cry out for justice. Sometimes she could help them find peace. She had seen Imperials lay an entire town to waste to make a point. But she had never witnessed destruction on such scale.

"They're gone, they're gone. No...death's not the end, it's a door." she muttered as she walked through the corridor. Her mantra felt hollow now. "Gone...just gone." Her eyes were red with tears. She looked aimless and lost. Once again, she was surrounded by metal. Just like on the metal station of the deathbringers. And they call us savages, she thought bitterly.
"Savages, the lot of them," she blurted out.

It could've been her homeworld. It could've been her homeworld. Everything she knew, everything she cared about could be gone in the blink of an eye. Here and there, she perceived spectral apparitions of dead Chiss - men, women and children. Soldiers and crewers in the corridor gave her a wide berth, unnerved by her. All except one. "Shikoba?" Diona's slightly accented Basic rang out.
"'Tis all gone!" the Vashyada raised her voice.
"I know."
"The sky people are barbarians."
"I know."
"Why does your kind do this? Even the Xio wouldn't be this cruel."
Diona placed a hand on the frantic Vashyada's shoulder. "Take a breath. It's done. They're Sith. It's in their nature to be monstrous." Not that my Jedi masters were much better, she thought bitterly. "We can only move forward. You're strong. I know you can do that."

The Vashyada took a slow, calming breath. "I hear them - the spirits. But all this metal...I cannot focus. It's all lifeless."
Something clicked in Diona's head. "Want me to take you to the garden?" By that she meant the hydropnonics. "There's green there. We can meditate."
Shikoba nodded immediately. "Yes, take me there."

At this late hour, the hydroponics garden was deserted, so there was no one to disturb them. Shikoba was silent for a long while when they entered. This garden was still unnatural and did not quite deserve the name in her estimation. Plants did not grow naturally, but in artificial lines by the will of machines. But she could still hear the voice of Mother Earth, though it was muffled by all the machinery and the dark void. For a while she said nothing, running her hands over the plants.

Diona joined her in silent meditation. The Windian Jedi Order had taught her many things and few of them good, but the discipline it had instilled in her was useful in these situations. It had fortified her will when the darkness assaulted them aboard the battlestation. Finally, Shikoba broke the silence. "I thank you. When we first met I wondered whether a clone could have a soul or whether it's just a mutilated thing," she stated bluntly. "I wasn't kind to you. I saw the spirits cling to you and concluded your nature was vile. But you're not evil."
"I wouldn't go that far," Diona muttered, standing up. "We should get back to our quarters."

However, then she felt Shikoba's hand on her shoulder, pulling her back. "You have sinned. The dead of Distoma haunt you, as they should." Diona's jaw tightened. She had never mentioned that name to the elf. The spirits shall judge you when you die. But...there are also those who would intercede on your behalf when your deeds are weighed. The evil you did is not in your nature."

Diona looked uncertain. "I don't want your forgiveness, Ghosttalker. Or anyone's. Nor do I do penance because I want someone speak up for me and say I've bought my way out of Chaos. They're dead. End of the story."
"And they still watch you. No one...no one's ever truly gone. Today, I saw those whose nature is nothing but evil." She got to her feet. "The hour is late, but I would light a candle for those who perished today. Would you join me in holding vigil, Diona of Tephrike?"
After a moment, Diona nodded. "Alright."

The Forge had a small, non-denominated shrine to serve as a place of worship. Diona had avoided it until now. Too many bad memories. The pair lit a candle each. Shikoba knelt and began to chant. "I pray to the spirits, guide us through this pain. Great Owl, I beseech you, guide the dead of Csilla through the void, as you guided me, to the land of peace, where rivers do not turn red. Show them the secret pathways aay from the dark ones.

Mother Sun, who brings life to us all, I ask that you have the sun shine on the unjustly slain and bring new life to them, a life without the pain and sadness of the world; and to their families and my companions, bring our sun for they also need your light. May the songs of the winds and clouds sweep away the pain and sadness from our hearts, as we hear those songs, let us know the spirits that who are with those songs are at peace. Spirits, give me the strength to make this world a better place, when innocents bleed in a world so cruel."

"There is no death, there is the Light," Diona said quietly. Words the Dominion of Light had drilled into her skull. She no longer believed in the Code - too many lies, disappointments and betrayals. But she took comfort in this line all the same. The Vashyada got up from the floor. "Death is not the end; death is a door," she said quietly.

Rhea had heard garbled stories about the death star on Tephrike. That did not, however, prepare her for the devastation this latter-day knockoff had unleashed, even with all the death and destruction she had witnessed on Tephrike. Back home, she had seen the after-effects of the Vaderites using nerve gas to bombard agricultural communes before moving in to steal their produce. Nerve gas was effective, as it killed the 'useless eaters' but did not damage the grain. She had felt sick when she beheld the ghastly rictuses on the faces of the dead.

She had hidden beneath a pile of bodies when the Vaderites and their lackeys gunned down an entire village - her people, on account of them not being 'pure' enough. Her mother had died shielding her, begging her with her dying words to stay quiet and live. She had seen bodies of Padawans the Republican Guard had nailed to trees - and rigged with explosives to kill their comrades when they tried to take them down. And she had seen the Dominion smite disobedient settlements with walls of light and round up so-called 'heretics' to be tortured, broken and remade. She had been there when the Dominion's troops stormed a Vaderite death camp, liberating the few surviving inmates, who had been so emaciated they might as well have been skeletons - only to appropriate it as a torture centre.

Once Rhea had dared to hope that Tephrike was an exception and the greater galaxy was less wretched, but her experiences in the stars had disillusioned her. Evil was a universal condition. She was pulled from her brooding by the sound of footsteps. The Rattataki tensed, fighting against the instinct to reach for her gun. A moment later, the door opened and Celaena stepped in. "Just me," the elf said, eyeing the pistol near Rhea. "No need to shoot me."

"I wasn't..." the Rattaki began, but the Eldorai brushed her words aside.
"It's fine. Got to be prepared. Be faster on the draw next time."
Rhea lay back down in her bed. "It's...been a long day." She noticed that the Eldorai was holding a bottle in her hands.
"That's one way of putting it," Celaena sighed. "Not sure why I'm here. Just heard Csilla's a lifeless husk now and figured I'd do checkup or something."

"I am glad that you came." To Rhea's surprise, she realised she was not just saying it to be polite. "It was horrible. I'd say these Mawists were unlike who I fought before...but the truth is they're not. They're the Vaderites if the Vaderites weren't confined to one planet and didn't need death camps and gas to murder people. They should all burn." There was a fierce light in her yellow eyes.

"So much scum to kill, so little time. I don't know this Csilla. Never been there. When I heard the news, the first thing on my mind was 'at least our people made it out'. Already lost my people because a planet was rated once."
Rhea frowned slightly, fishing in her memories. "You mean on Kai-shy-na," she said, probably mispronouncing the Eldorai homeworld's name.

"Kai-shay-nah, yes," Celaena corrected a bit primly. "Some say it was Ashira's punishment for our sins. You'd think if Mother wanted to punish us, she'd have just dropped the rock on all our nobles instead of letting them get away. I suppose these Chiss and my people have something in common. Crappy rulers, destroyed homeworld, foreign power blocs trying to claim the carcass. The mighty do what the hell they want and the weak..."
"Suffer it," Rhea finished, "unless they get the strength to fight back."
Celaena met her gaze. "Better than dying on your knees."
There was a moment of silence. "What happend on Kaeshana?" Rhea finally asked. She spoke the name slowly, taking her time to get the pronounciation right.

"Big asteroid. The fancy nobles and the 'best and brightest' hitched a ride with Firemane and left the proles to rot. A few years later, they come back and say they're sorry. But who else shows up? Imperialists and their Ren. So we fight alongside the devil we know, they lose and run again. Some of us make it out in time. The rest were oppressed by the Imperialists."
"Damn. They are your Vaderites. They're always there to make life hell for someone. And the powerful are always abandoning their people when it suits them." She frowned slightly.
"Here to us, children of destroyed worlds, survivors of terrible rulers." Celaena cracked the bottle open and took a swig. Then she held it out to Rhea.
The Rattataki took the proferred bottle and drank. She felt a feeling of profound warmth spread through her body. "This is...good."
Celaena smirked slightly. "Got it from my Qadiri cousins. Was saving it for a special occasion. I suppose this counts."

"Thank you," Rhea eyed the bottle again. "May I?"
"Just leave some for me."
That was all the encouragement Rhea needed to bring the bottle to her lips again. She drank slowly, savouring the taste even as it tingled the back of her throat. Suddenly, she giggled. "Force, I'd be flogged for this on Tephrike."
Now it was Celaena's turn to be surprised. "That bad? How do you all cope without liquor? Only thing that makes being under someone's boot bearable."
"Oh, if you're a Jedi Master you can buy it in special shops. The Inquisition will just hold it against you if you fall from grace. For the rest of us there's...happy pills."
"No liquor...but drugs. Your people are crazy."

"Yes, yes, they are." Rhea handed the bottle back to the Eldorai, who did not waste time having another drink. "The Dominion pretends otherwise, but doesn't mind drugs it controls. Keeps everyone blissful and obedient. Do you know who the biggest dealers on Tephrike are? The rebels and a cult of hippie Jedi."
Now it was Celaena's turn to laugh. "Crazy. The whole lot of you."

"What's Kaeshana like now? It is not far from Firemane's lands. Why don't they help?"
"Oh, it's free now. Just...dead." Celaena saw the confused expression on Rhea's face and added, "I don't know the details. But it was dragged through the void...somehow. Illyria's intervention, maybe." She laughed without mirth. "No Imperialists, no Eldorai, just ghosts and monsters."

"I understand, well not quite," Rhea admitted. There were many hellscapes on Tephrike...but a planet being dragged through hell was an entirely different ball game.
Celaena gestured dismissively. "No one really does. Don't overthink it. No one's going back there."
"Firemane abandoned you, why are you with them"

"Credits, protection. My people are poor and fractured and the settlement I belong to is in their sphere. You lot got rescued by them?"
"By accident," Rhea insisted firmly. "They didn't care about us. We happened to be in the same camp as Elpsis. She lit the fuse of the revolt, we helped her, and she wouldn't leave us."
"Goddess, you really do admire her."
"She's earned it. Saved me, never looked down on me."
"Yeah, well, don't get all starry-eyed. Guess it's knap time," Celaena said a bit brusquely, getting to her feet. Rhea passed the bottle back to her. "Thanks for the drink."
"May Ashira light your path."

Every step was marked by pain, as old and new injuries flared up inside her. She carried on regardless. Pain is just weakness leaving the body. As it turned out, the training room was not as unoccupied as Elpsis had anticipated.
Nyssa's organic arm was still in a sling. "Guess we had the same idea," she stated when she saw the redhead enter.

"Just need something to smack. Better than brooding in my room," Elpsis responded, looking around. There were some training dummies and she could probably find some droids to demolish.
"Fun time at the briefing? Iron Post still has a stick up her arse?"
"Not in the mood to talk about it."
"Fine by me. We did our job. Let's fight. Makes it a challenge at least."

Elpsis shook her head. "You're hurt. I won't fight you."
"Not like you're looking any better," the Pureblood pointed out, sounding just a bit vexed. "Honestly, I don't get why everyone's being so mopey. Not like they were on that damn rock. If Firemane or any of the big powers really cared, you'd think they'd have done something earlier."
"Billions of people died, Nyssa," Elpsis said sternly. "Just to make a point. Kinda upsets people. Even if most of them will just post 'thoughts and prayers' on Fwitter and then go back to gossiping about some celebrity's love life."

Nyssa scoffed. "Razing a planet's such a huge waste. Who wants to be overlord of the ashes? Other than a lunatic. But maybe the Chiss will find the strength to toughen up, though they'll probably just bend over to the next foreign ruler, like they always do, while acting all superior."
Elpsis swung a punch at her. "Oh, yeah, how are your 'Purebloods' doing these days? What have they accomplished? Other than being lackeys for this or that dark lord?"
Nyssa took the punch. Pain exploded inside her from the super-heated cybernetic fist. She staggered, dodged the next blow and intercepted the third. "Not true Purebloods. Just weaklings. Human lackeys."

"Like you are? What happened to your 'pure' family? Oh, you killed them." Nyssa launched a thunderous kick towards Elpsis' wounded leg. Exactly where she knew the pyromancer was vulnerable. It knocked her back hard. Then the Pureblood grappled her and flung her through the air. "And if you obsess over every atrocity, you'll be weak, too."
Elpsis was breathing heavily, her face contorted in an expression of anger. "I'll show you weak, Sith." And a fireball rippled from her hand.

There was little discipline or technique to their fight. It would be more accurate to call it a brawl. Both were still impaired by their injuries. They rained down blows and kicks - increasingly wild and furious. Luckily, the training room had been designed to resist fireballs and telekinetic impacts, for there was a lot of both. Nyssa was the stronger and more durable one physically - always had been. She could overpower Elpsis through brute force alone, even when injured, and she was faster. But her foe was a lot stronger in the Force - and very mad. There was little in terms of holding back.

When it was over, they were exhausted and bloody. Nyssa was rolling on the ground to put out the fire after being slammed into a wall, while Elpsis was slumped over the mat, panting. "You feel better now?" Nyssa asked, sweaty, bruised and gasping for breath. Smoke coiled from her robotic arm.
"Yeah." Elpsis breathed in deeply, feeling a sharp pain now that the adrenaline was wearing off. Moreover, a tooth felt like it had come loose. Her body felt like crap and it would give her even more hell in the morning. But she felt better. She wiped some blood from her face. "You did this on purpose."
"It worked, didn't it?"
"It did," Elpsis admitted. "And I'm tired and we've got lots of clean-up tomorrow, so I'm going get cleaned up and go to bed." It had gotten very late.
"Want some company?" Nyssa asked a bit eagerly.
Elpsis frowned. "Not in the mood for sex,"
"I figured. Wasn't offering. We can cuddle and all that."
Elpsis raised an eyebrow at that. "You want to cuddle?" she asked a bit incredulously.
"Do you want it or not?" Nyssa huffed irritably.
"Yeah...I would. It'd would be nice if you could hold me."
A thin smile formed on Nyssa's lips and she took Elpsis' hand.

The team convened in a common room in the early morning hours. Natalie was slouching in a chair, Diona was standing and Shikoba seemed to be meditating. Rhea sat straight. Seeing Nyssa and Elpsis arrive together, Natalie gave them a look. "Hot night?" she quipped.
"Jealous?" Nyssa asked a bit smugly.
"Questioning Elpsis' tastes," the Essionian retorted. "But we're not here for that."
"No, we're not," the redhead in question said firmly. "I, uh, wanted to say a few words before the whole platoon gets together." She cleared her throat.

"We survived. A ton of people didn't. Lotta innocents died. That's not on us; we did our job. That's on the Sith. I'm not gonna make any speeches about 'never again'. I can't do that; you can't; the bigwigs in their palaces can't. What I can promise you is that I'll never back down from a fight. The Sith are my enemy forever - in the stars, on Tephrike," at that she briefly glanced at Diona and Rhea. "And if you stay with me I can promise you I'll never stop until the last of our enemies is dead...or I am. You did well, all of you. I'm proud of you." She took a breath. Her throat was itching.

"I'm in," Rhea was the first to break the silence after her address.
"You have my sword," Diona spoke.
"I have seen the horrors of the star barbarians," Shikoba said. "They are enemies of life. And the spirits charged me with combating them."
"Glad to have you."
"You don't need reassurance from me, do you?" Nyssa asked rhetorically. "The fight's where I live and it's here, so are you. We got to push second and third squad harder."
Elpsis nodded grimly. "Yes. We got to push them all harder. And I'm not so arrogant to admit I can do it all on my own. They look up to you. You're the toughtest, and they know it."
"I still have some friends from the old days," Natalie interjected. "I'll see what they can dig up that'll help us. Maybe get a network together."
"Thanks...I appreciate it, Natalie."
"Yes, well, don't go all mushy on me."

The next group to be addressed was the platoon as a whole. On the way to the training area, Elpsis ran into an old friend. "Platoon's assembled, Lieutenant," Sergeant Lin Brakka, who was, in the tradition of NCOs, quite a bit older than the junior officer reported. "Wish I'd been there with you."
"I know the feeling. Wouldn't have made a difference though, Horns," Elpsis said bluntly.
The Zabrak nodded. "No. Can only make one now."
"What's the mood?" the Lieutenant asked.
True to form, the platoon Sergeant did not mince words. "Mixed bag. Confused, afraid, angry. It's hard on the Tygaran recruits. Think they've only now just grasped how destructive us 'sky people' are. Projecting a lot. I said a couple words to bunch of them. The Eldorai aren't coping that badly. Been there, done that to them. Probably for the best we don't have a Chiss," Lin reported as they entered.

"As you were," Elpsis spoke quickly before someone could yell something an officer being on deck. "We've got a full day of training ahead of us, but there's some things I want to say first. Speeches ain't my thing, so I'll keep this short," Elpsis began. She was not being modest. Flowery oratory was something she neither liked nor excelled at it. "You heard what happened. The galaxy united to stop a threat; it failed. A planet died. That's not our fault, we carried the fight to the heart of the superweapon and got out. The Sith are strong, they care nothing for life. Only by burning the Sith, the Imperialist, the slaver and the criminal can we have peace. But that ain't gonna happen for a while."

Force, her throat hurt. "Probably not in our life time. Some of us will die along the way. Maybe all of us. I guess this is the moment where we shout 'Never Again'. 'Not another world will die.' 'The Light will rise'. It's naive bullchit - all of it. So I won't promise you any of that. I promise you blood and fire. The fire we use to burn all our enemies and the blood we shed - ours and theirs. Each of us must do their part to fight this threat so that our people can be safe. Train hard, fight hard. It won't be long before we're in action again."

Captain Sha Rezz was already in the training room when Elpsis arrived. She sat on the floor cross-legged, and with her eyes closed, seemingly meditating. However, though her focus was intense, Elpsis' arrival did not go unnoticed.
"Are you rested, Lieutenant?" she asked.
"As much as you can be under the circumstances, ma'am," Elpsis responded bluntly, saluting. "I'm ready to get started."
"I always liked that about you, Kerrigan."
Elpsis looked mildly perplexed. "Not sure I follow."
"You see a problem, you set out to fix it, even if it's in yourself. You don't showboat."
Elpsis coughed slightly. "Just trying to do my duty, ma'am."

"Yes...what happens now won't be pleasant, but necessary." Reaching into a bag, the Rodian Captain removed an obviously prepared syringe, inspected it and handed it to Elpsis. "Inject this into your neck."
"What's in it?"
"Hurlothrombic Compound. It triggers anxiety, panic, fear."
Taking the syringe, Elpsis jabbed the needle into her neck. She felt a stinging sensation. The substance was painful as it worked its way into her system. But the physical effect was minor compared to the mental one.
Suddenly, Rezz' voice seemed far and distant. "Welcome to the jungle, Lieutenant." The substance attacked her psyche itself. Suddenly, her body tensed when hallucinations assailed her - a squalid, tiny cell, rats, blood, torture. Back in the camp of horrors. Her heartbeat raced. Sweat dripped down her face.

But as she tried to fight against the substance inside her bloodstream, Razz asaulted her mind. The psychic assault was incisive. Overwhelming sound, sensation. Feeling of rats crawling all over her, gnawing at her flesh. A distraction for the subsequent strike at the linkage between her mind and body. The kind of attack meant to cause a grand mal seizure. Her body jerked, limbs convulsing. She felt like she was being dragged underwater, unable to breathe.

There were many ways to spend your shore leave after a bloody battle. Most of those revolved around getting roaring drunk. And maybe hitting up a pleasure house. Elpsis had decided to spend her time by talking to spiders. Giant spiders. Probably not fun for arachnophobes. She'd taken two friends along. And so the trio made their way through dense forest. Visibility was at a premium due to all the trees and bushes. She wore simple spacer clothes - a vest, battered trousers - and sturdy hiking boots. She was still missing her left ear. Here and there, spiders could be heard skittering. The noise increased the closer they got to the lair.

"Should've brought better weapons," Mel muttered. Like Elpsis, she was dressed in rugged spacer clothes. She had a pistol holstered on her thigh. She sported elaborate tattoos on her forehead and cheeks.
"We're here to chat, Mel, not fight," Elpsis countered. She walked with a limp.
"Yeah, just in case they decide the meat we offer isn't tasty enough," the Mirialan responded a bit sourly. "They're creepy. Like something a Vaderite would feed slaves to."
"Don't mind Mel of the single spirit tribe, Hunts-Silently," a melodic, if somewhat high-pitched voice spoke. Shikoba walked alongside an enormous spider, petting its head. Their arachnide guide was as tall as an adult human and more than two metres long. The Partuz had eight eyes and sharp mandibles emerged from her mouth.

"Many have done her ill, and so she expects everyone to do it. She is not mean like many other sky people though. There are nasty ones who burn worlds. You must eat them if you see them. And I don't think she'll leave plastic lying around."
Puzzled and annoyed, Mel looked to Elpsis. "Uh...can it understand her?"
The human shrugged. "Not sure."
"Hunts-Silently heard that. She understands a lot. She can smell you're nervous," Shikoba chimed in. "Partuz are smart, not like Yazgid. Treat them fairly, and your bond will grow strong. My clan pays more attention to our Partuz Queen than to the High Queen. Or the Skyqueen, honestly. We'll always cross paths with her, but rarely with those. She's more helpful, too."
"Yeah, and that's good...for you," Mel muttered under her breath. "It's kinda your fault they're here anyway. One of you lot didn't pay attention while cruising around with a bunch of spiders and now there's a whole nest of them."

"Yes. 'Tis heartening to see them flourish. Warmer here than they're used to."
"Girls," Elpsis interjected a bit irritably.
"Fine. You do your meld thing, they stay out of our way, we stay out of theirs, some of our folks who aren't me get to ride them," Mel stated.
Shikoba gave her a long look. "I judge your words honest. You are, I wager, not like those fools who ventured to Yarkul to proclaim they cherished nature, but rode in floating vehicles that spit poison, and left their rubbish lying around."
"Idiots. Were they eaten?"
"Scared away."
"Shame. We're not like that. Or like those rich arseholes frakking up planets for profit. Already lived on one planet that went to chit."

They finally reached their destination on the hill. There were trees as far as the naked eye could see. Here and there, webbing could be seen. Hunts-Silently skittered across the ground, giving Elpsis a nudge, playfully rubbing her leg.
"Approach the web," Shikoba spoke softly. "Announce your presence. If they accept your parley, a drone will drop down and lead you to the rope that will take you up. Climb up and meet the queen. If Her Highness doesn't accept your supplication, they will throw webs as a warning shot. Do not linger if it happens."

Elpsis nodded. "Okay, back in a bit." She stepped forward towards the wall of webs. Reaching out with the Force, she could sense over a dozen of the creatures - watching them in the dark. "I'm...Elpsis Kerrigan. I speak for the people of the nearby town - the Unchained. I want to parley." She removed her rucksack from her shoulder and held it up. "I brought offerings." Briefly, she opened the rucksack and held up some meat.

For a moment all was quiet. Then skittering could be heard. Moving swiftly, a large Partuz dropped down from on high, landing on the ground with surprising grace. Elpsis winced a bit. The creature's shade of green matched the forest perfectly. If it had not been for her Force Sight, she would not have seen it coming. Yet the creature did not appear threatening. It raised a long leg and rubbed her, as if beckoning her to follow. Then the spider turned and walked to a tree. As Shikoba had said, a strand of non-sticky web was dropped down. It resembled a rope.

Taking the rope in hand, Elpsis began to climb up the web. It was a bit awkward, especially since she had to rely more on touch than sight, but she managed well enough. Her cyborg hand gave her a strong grip. It was less difficult than the steep cliffs she was used to climbing back on the island where she had set up her cabin. The lair had been built high off the ground, where the tops of several trees had come together. Strong webs had created a mesh of sorts. In a way, it reminded Elpsis of the tree cities the Vashyada and Wookies had built. Partuz drones moved freely above ground.

One in particular stood out. She stood in the centre, towering over the lesser spiders. But this was not her most unique feature. Elpsis sensed a formidable mind inside it. Not sentient, but not far from it. Her aura shone more brightly than that of the other Partuz. This could only be the queen. She regarded the two-legged interloper curiously. Pheromones emanated from her. Elpsis felt herself becoming less tense.

Bending down, she unzipped the rucksack, took out a couple pieces of still bloody meat. Then she took a few steps forward and laid them on the floor. "For you," she said, reaching out with the Force to gently brush against the queen's mind. Like any spider, the Partuz lacked a nose. But Strong-Web could smell through the intricate network of hairs on her legs. Having probed the offering, she seized the meat and swallowed it. Elpsis felt a feeling of contentment emanate from the queen. Drawing more strongly on her inner flame, she deeped the mental contact.

Her senses expanded as she felt their minds melt. The sensation caused her to feel dizzy. She was Elpsis, but she was also the queen spider. She saw the world through her own, blind and dead eyes, but also the eight eyes clustered atop the queen's head. She could perceive a huge nest - walls of webbing, providing both protection and storage for prey, manifold drones and eggs, waiting to hatch. She could feel the queen's fierce protectiveness towards her nest. Feel the flesh and the coppery taste of blood in her mouth. And then she could hear the queen spider's thoughts.

You Elpsis. Red-mane.
Elpsis was momentarily taken off-guard by her seeming so...coherent. Yeah, that's me. What's your name?
I Strong-Web. You want parley.
Right. The Vashyada taught me they make deals with your kind. Do you, uh, remember them?
Know the pale, pointy-eared two-legs. Treat us fairly. Not like grey and bronze, pointy-eared two legs. But they go away. You pale and two-legged, but not pointy-eared. Many strange two-legs in this forest. Green, red, pale, brown. Sky is different. Land is warmer.

The Vashyada aren't gone...you're just...in a different forest. It was an accident. The two-legs you met are the Unchained. They're not bad people.
They attack.
They were scared, and didn't know who you were. Just like your children attacked some of them.
This their tribute. Elpsis speak for them? Unchained two legs want pact.
Yes,
Elpsis paused. I know the Vash who made the first pact with your kind. She taught me. Reaching out, she let the Partuz partake in the memory. Elpsis could not actually envisage Tylania's image since she did not know what the Vashyada prophetess looked like. But she knew her voice; her scent; her aura of light.

There was a spark of recognition. White Queen. Strong-Web knows. Have dreams-memories. Foremothers know her. Two others at tree with you.
The pale, pointy-eared one is Shikoba. A Vash. A disciple of the White Queen.
Elpsis was not sure whether this was entirely correct, but Shikoba was a druid, and they followed Tylania's teachings. The green one's Mel. She's an Unchained
Partuz not attack two legs. Two leg stay out of forests. Only envoys from Unchained two legs may enter. Must provide tribute. One deer sized creature per week at base of this tree. Every tenth drone will be theirs to ride. Treat drones well. Or drones go.

Elpsis nodded. Okay, that's fair. Thanks. I'll tell them. The giant spider nuzzled her, and Elpsis reached out with her flesh and blood hand to stroke her head, touching the whitish hairs on top of it while taking care to avoid her many eyes. Strong-Web made a noise that Elpsis took as a sign of contentment.

You're a lot more, well, developed than I'd thought you'd be. More talkative.
There is a...place in the forest I came from. It is cold-dark. It beckons with lure of food-prey. Inside it burns like ice...but gives thought-strength. Kin fear to tread there, but I was drawn-lured to it. I came back different.

Elpsis frowned. Sounds like a nexus.
I know not what that is. Or its name. You'll understand if you go. Return to other two legs now.

Elpsis withdrew her hand and picked up her rucksack after emptying its contents, leaving the rest of the meat for Strong-Web or her children to eat. Well, thanks for the audience. Take care of your colony.
Red-mane may return. Alone.
Thanks. I'll come visit. Maybe go hunting with you.
And with that Elpsis turned away, using the rope to climb back down. She had lost track of time, but it seemed enough had passed for her to feel a wave of impatience, along with some subdued, worry, emanating from Mel when she had finally had solid ground beneath her feet again.

"What'd the spiders say?" Mel asked bluntly.
"Well, queenie didn't eat me and invited me back to go hunting or something," Elpsis shrugged. "She wants your people to stay out of the forest. Only your bosses are supposed to come to her habitat, and she wants a deer sized animal per week. Lay it down at the base of that tree over there. If you do that, ten percent of her drones will be yours."
Mel looked thoughtful, nodded. "Sounds fine. I'll tell Phoebe. It's strangely coherent for...an animal. You sure she's not possessed or something?"
"She mentioned going to a place that changed her. Back in Yarkul, I figure. Sounded like a nexus." Elpsis glanced at Shikoba. "You know anything about that?"
"The Dark Heart. 'Tis a cursed place of great power. Darkness permeates it."

The Mirialan looked a bit uncomfortable. "We got places like that on Tephrike. Bad places, filled with ghosts and monsters. Sane people shun them."
"There is an ember of light in the darkness. Healing plants grow there. Our druids venture into the Heart to test themselves. You cannot resist the dark without having faced it in your soul."
"You ever been there?"
The druidess shook her head. "Nay, but I will have to in order to pass my final trials."
"I'm not one for mystical stuff, but if it's made queen spider easier to talk to and there aren't any cursed creatures around, swell."

"Yes. Remember that this bargain only holds as long as the queen lives. When she dies, you will have to renegotiate or the drones will return," Shikoba added. "And her daughters may split off to found their own nests."
"This is going to be a fun Majiles meeting," Mel grumbled.
"Majiles? That's a Qadiri word," the Vashyada noted.
"Yeah, for our council. On Tephrike, we didn't have a word for an assembly where the people's voice actually matters. Called it Apella at first - after the local assemblies in the Dominion - but that didn't fit. The only power it had back home was to clap when the kind Jedi Masters decreed that we had to increase grain quotas to assure the 'inevitable triumph of the Light', even if thousands had to starve."
"That is an interesting loan of the word. We use..." Shikoba paused and turned to Hunts-Silently. There seemed to be some communication because the Partuz rubbed its legs together and came over to Mel. "She would like to offer you this present."
Mel stared when she saw the big spider lay a webbed gift at her feet. "A rabbit?" she asked, looking perplexed.
"'Tis very rude to refuse a gift," Shikoba lectured her earnestly. "I can instruct you on how to prepare it if you need guidance."
"I know how to prepare a rabbit," the Mirialan said irritably. Reaching out, she picked up the gift. "I'll just...remove the webbing, cook some stew. Maybe make some gloves. Thanks...you're a...good girl." She tensed up when the Partuz stroked her affectionately with a leg. "Can you tell her...to leave me alone?"

Hunts-Silently seemed to get the hint and gave her some space. Instead the Partuz lay on the ground, offering its back. "She is offering a ride," Shikoba explained. "Mayhaps you should try, Elpsis."
"Sure, why not. Uh, how do I hold on?"
"Move with your mount not against her. Don't grip with your legs. Wrap them around your mount. Keep knees and thighs relaxed. And hold on to this," Shikoba pointed to some bony protrusions behind Hunts-Silently's head. They were almost like a pommel.
"Ok, alright," Elpsis said, walking towards the waiting spider. "Do you guys use saddles or something?"
"Some do. Partuz don't like them. And a true rider doesn't need them. The mount and rider are one," Shikoba stated authoritatively.
"Have fun, don't fall off. Maybe try going upside down. Or have your friend jump," Mel suggested sardonically while Elpsis sat up cautiously. The moment she had settled on the Partuz, Hunts-Silently had arisen and was in motion again.

"Steady, girl." Perhaps the Partuz sensed that her rider was untrained, so she slowed down her tempo, giving Elpsis time to adjust without embarrassing herself. Not to mention avoid outrunning her two companions.
Gently holding on to the bony protrusion, Elpsis petted the spider with her other hand, while her legs wrapped around Hunts-Silently, toes pointed forward. Her body moved with her mount, the wind whipping around her neck and arms. "This is fun. You sure you don't wanna try, Mel?"

"Yes, I am," Mel retorted. Glancing at Shikoba she added, "since this chat with queen spider isn't going to be a one-off, we're going to need people of our own who can meld with her. This is something any Force-User can learn?"
"Aye, with sufficient strength and skill in telepathy. You must be trained in communing with animals. This queen is very advanced, so it'll be easier. It may pass on to her daughters, or not. Your leaders are blessed by the spirits?"
The Mirialan had spent enough time among Tygarans to know that this was a flowery way to say Force-Sensitive. "Phoebe is, Zail isn't. If one Advocate is Force-Sensitive, the other can't be." This applied to all leadership positions, as the Unchained strove to apply co-leadership to as many levels of society as practical.
Shikoba's eyebrows furrowed. "Interesting. I can pass on what I know to those willing to undergo instruction."
Mel nodded. "Do you need the Force to ride them?"
"Nay, though it helps. Our riders are mixed."
"Great. Most of our units have both. Spread the talent around, keep Forcers from thinking everyone else's a peon."

"Any chance we could take some of them with us to Tephrike?" Elpsis wondered aloud. "Let them devour some Jedi or Sithies."
Seeing the Mirialan's curious look. Shikoba shook her head. "Nay. The drones cannot stray far from the queen."
"Shame. I know some bastards back home who'd deserve to get eaten," Mel remarked dryly. "They'll help free up manpowere here though."
"They will," Elpsis said quietly. "We'll be back on Tephrike soon, Mel. And we are, we'll burn the lot of them" And though this world, with devils filled, Should threaten to undo us...She knew what lay at the end of that road - pain, fire and blood. She would be ready for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom