Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Jedi in distress

Noble_X-wing.jpg

Space
div-orange.png
Outfit: Factory Link | Wedding Ring
Appearance: Link
Ship: Link
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber
Tag: Padawan Errant Padawan Errant

A distress call.

Every day, countless distress calls were transmitted through the dark vacuum of space, but it wasn't often that a Jedi sent one out. It usually meant very serious trouble, as the renowned Jedi Knights weren't easily backed into a corner. But as rare as they were, other Jedi would always be available and willing to respond, regardless of rank or status. So the very moment Valery received the transmission within the cockpit of her X-wing after a long mission, she altered her course and headed straight for the source, rather than return to the Temple.

After a quick jump through Hyperspace, the X-wing shifted back into real space, where her sensors began to adjust. The ship she was looking for would be out here somewhere, but she didn't know which type of vessel it was, or where it had drifted to at this point. So on an open Jedi channel, Valery turned on her communications device and hoped to reach out.

<This is Master Noble, I received your distress call,> she began, before pausing a moment to offer a chance for response. <Tell me where you are and what's wrong, and I'll do my best to help.>

Hopefully, she hadn't arrived too late.

Last edited:
Derelict_Minnow.png
The weight of the galaxy's troubles pressed in upon Niynx's heart, and doubts swirled within his mind like a tempestuous storm. Seeking solace, he closed his eyes, his hands resting gently on his knees, and reached out through the Force to call for help...

• Deep Space
  • Asteroid Field Near Kuar System
  • Aboard The Little Minnow

In the deep space between Kuar and Coruscant, buried within a field of asteroids and lit only by the eerily ghost-like-glow of the nearby Altair Nebula, a derelict freighter class starship wallowed lifeless through the darkness. There were no running lights, no signs of life, and around the starship lay chunks of detritus invisible but for glittering moments as it caught the nebula's reflection and revealed laser-burnt metal, tossing itself end over end in a constant and slow mimicry of the asteroids around it.

Inside, awash in a zero-G chaos of floating personal items and memorabilia, wild hair twisting and reaching as if underwater, Jedi Padawan Niynx Ioune found himself consumed by fear, sadness, and uncertainty. The Little Minnow's artificial gravity systems having been shut down hours earlier and his legs crossed in the traditional pose for Jedi meditation, Niynx levitated at a fixed point within the sentimental debris swirling around him, as if he were his own Galactic Centre and the rogue flimsies, datapads and spare clothing around him were his planetary systems.

In the depths of his meditation, the Padawan pondered the nature of fear. It was an emotion he had been taught to confront and overcome, yet it seemed to grow stronger with each passing day. Doubts gnawed at his spirit, questioning his abilities, his purpose, and his worthiness of the Jedi path.

In the many hours of his waiting, Niynx's thoughts wandered to the trials which lay before him. Even still, even as he sat amidst the utter wreckage of defeat, he knew that the battles he'd faced until now were but a fraction of what awaited him in the vast expanses of the galaxy, and indeed in his future. Still, the feelings of loss that threatened to envelop him seemed overwhelming, and he wondered if he possessed the strength to resist.

Yet even in the depths of his despair, a shrine of hope remained. A whisper in the recesses of his mind reminded him of the teachings of La T'vil, his newly deceased master. She had instilled in him the virtues of courage, resilience, and the indomitable spirit of the Jedi. As he continued to meditate, Niynx realized that his plea for help was not a sign of weakness, as he had feared, but a testament to his strength. In reaching out through the Force, he sought the wisdom and guidance of the Jedi who came before him, as well as La T'vil, bound by a shared commitment to uphold justice and defend peace in the galaxy. With each breath, he allowed the tendrils of fear to dissipate, replacing them with a renewed determination. He embraced the notion that fear was not an enemy to be vanquished, but a companion to be acknowledged and understood. It was a reminder that he was Kiffar, susceptible to the doubts and uncertainties that plagued all beings, and just as able to rise above them in turn.

Through the Force, he sought a connection to more even than his Master, alone, to the collective wisdom of the entire Jedi Order, drawing strength from their teachings, their triumphs, and their resilience. He found solace in the knowledge that he was not alone, that there were others who had faced similar struggles and emerged stronger for it.

<< This is Master Noble, I received your distress call. >>

Niynx's eyes writhed as if dreaming, then shot open. In an instant, the harmony of the Force in display around him was shattered, and objects which had been caught up in his meditative pull, orbiting him peacefully, began careening from wall to wall or gathering in thick clusters within The Minnow's packed sleeping cubbies. Someone had come! Had he heard that correctly? No, not even someone, Master Noble herself. His breath escaped him in a visible cloud and he pushed off a bulkhead towards the central communications station. Sure enough, as he neared the station a blinking red light flared once more from the comms panel, indicating that yet another short ranged transmission was incoming.

<< Tell me where you are and what's wrong, and I'll do my best to help. >>

Screens flared to life around tapping fingers, catching Niynx's face, his chin, in blue and golden under-glows. System alerts flared to life and were silenced shortly thereafter. Error messages reared up in alarming numbers and were summarily dismissed. The low base of internal engines coming to life sounded just moments before the return of The Minnow's artificial gravity, as well as other life support systems, and Niynx dropped quietly to the ground. By contrast, all which had previously floated through the starship's belly clattered noisily back to the durasteel flooring underfoot. Niynx tapped for comms.
"This is Padawan Niynx Ioune requesting aid. My ship's been damaged and I cannot fly. I repeat my ship's been damaged. My last logged coordinates were 12:15:18, but telemetry was knocked offline when I sustained damage and I cannot verify to what degree my current location has changed." Releasing another pent up breath, Niynx dared to smile. Master Noble had come for him. He was saved.

Valery Noble Valery Noble

Noble_X-wing.jpg

Space
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber

After transmitting two messages, it remained eerily quiet for a moment that felt much longer than it actually was, purely because of the circumstances. The lives of at least one Jedi was at stake here, and she knew that every second mattered when an emergency beacon was activated. Between the cause of the beacon, space itself, and the wrong types of people responding to the call, there was a lot that could cause disaster long before help arrived.

But as soon as she heard her comms crackle, Valery knew it wasn't too late.

"This is Padawan Niynx Ioune requesting aid. My ship's been damaged and I cannot fly. I repeat my ship's been damaged. My last logged coordinates were 12:15:18, but telemetry was knocked offline when I sustained damage and I cannot verify to what degree my current location has changed."

A faint smiled tugged at Valery's lips, and with the coordinates given, she was already on the move and scanning for the ship. With systems on board the freighter going online, it luckily didn't take long for her sensors to lock on, which allowed her to activate a tractor beam to keep the ship steady.

<I'm coming aboard, so sit tight,> Valery communicated back, as her X-wing began the docking procedure. Within a few seconds at most, the ships were linked up, and Valery made her way inside the ship. Her fiery Keshian eyes then scanned through the fairly dark hangar, piercing through it in an attempt to find the Padawan.

<Padawan Niynx? I'm in the Hangar. Can you make it here?>

Derelict_Minnow.png
  • Deep Space

<< Padawan Niynx? I'm in the Hangar. Can you make it here? >>
As if in response, a second series of light panels flickered to life across the hangar's ceiling. Some sputtered and belched sparks, then immediately returned to death. There, across the way from Noble's docked X-wing, Niynx emerged from behind a bulkhead and sheathed his hands together within his sleeves. As he had thought, the X-wing starfighter was a tight fit in Minnow's narrow bay. Reaching out with the Force and extending his senses, Niynx felt for the presence of Master Noble and was gratified to find a beacon of strength and reassuring courage.

Making his way to her, Niynx bowed at the waist and tried very hard to appear much older than he was. Despite this, his eyes were puffy and red rimmed, and grease stains smeared his face and marked his pale tunic.
"Greetings, Master Noble. I cannot express how good it is to see your face here." He hesitated, a shadow passing before his expression.
"Master La T'vil, she, she's." Niynx swallowed air, then sought out Valery's gaze.
"Master Noble... I regret to inform you that La T'vil has passed on to the Force. I'm the only one who made it."

Last edited:

Noble_X-wing.jpg

Space
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber

Valery could feel him approaching long before her eyes spotted him through the dimly lit Hangar. It made her aware of his emotions, and how all of this had affected him. Something terrible had happened even though he was alive, and as he made his approach alone, she began to piece things together.

He shouldn't have been alone.

In response to his bow, Valery dipped her upper body down at the waist as well, and looked him in the eyes as he spoke. He was struggling to keep his emotions in check, and did his best to stay strong, so she wasn't going to push the subject now. They had to first get to safety, and then there would be time to mourn.

"I'm sorry to hear that," Valery said with a gentle smile, "We'll get out of here, and talk about it a little more, alright?" She looked around, almost as if she was looking for something, before turning back to him. "The ship is stable, right? Maybe we can get it working enough to bring it back with us."

"Unless it has been damaged too badly?"

Derelict_Minnow.png
  • Deep Space

"We'll get out of here, and talk about it a little more, alright?"
Niynx straightened a bit, shoulders coming to attention.
"Yes, Master," he replied obediently.

"The ship is stable, right? Maybe we can get it working enough to bring it back with us."
He nodded his head, then winced, glancing around the damaged hangar bay. Shelves lay knocked over, bins of tools and spare parts littering the floor. Low lit, under powered holo screens flashed with unresolved error notifications at the control terminal nearby, and sparks continued to cough up from the struggling light fixtures.
"Yes, Master. I believe so, Master, that would be my desire," he responded with a sense of promptness. In truth, the repairs required here were far beyond the limits of Niynx's expertise to determine alone. As it was, only wishful thinking yet propelled his hope for The Little Minnow's recovery.

"Unless it has been damaged too badly?"
Niynx shook his head, digging his sleeve-tucked-hands further into their hiding place.
"No Master, I do not think so. My central power lines were knocked out and fried just before I managed a micro-jump... and ended up here." He gestured to the viewport behind Master Noble to where the asteroid field lay sprawling beyond. Any seasoned space farer could put together the rest of the story. A micro-jump into an asteroid field rarely ended well for the pilot in question, and Niynx knew he was lucky to be alive. Lucky, or else protected by the Force.
"The damage knocked out my holo screens ship-wide, so I haven't been able to run internal diagnostics of my own. I'm running on back up power, but without a boost I don't think she'll make it very far. If we can limp it back to Coruscant, I know someone who can make the needed repairs..."

Last edited:

Noble_X-wing.jpg

Space
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber
Tag: Niynx Ioune Niynx Ioune

Sometimes, Valery truly wished she was a mechanic or engineer, and not someone who almost relied on her 7 year old daughter for tech assistance. Because as she looked around the Hangar, she could tell that the ship was beaten up, but she had no idea what would be required to repair it entirely. Was it possible to bring it back without it falling apart? Or would they have to leave it behind and let someone more specialized bring it back to Coruscant?

Luckily, the Padawan seemed to know a thing or two about the state of the ship.

"We could try to turn off unnecessary systems, and then use my X-wing to give a power boost? I don't think my little fighter can get the whole thing running, but engines and life support should be possible." Of course, she'd need his help to do that, but it was worth a shot.

"If the maneuvering thrusters are off-line, I can also use my tractor beam to pull the ship in the right direction."

Derelict_Minnow.png
  • Deep Space
The two set to work, retrieving technical read-outs, schematics, and rolling up their sleeves for the hours of labor ahead. Niynx familiarized Master Noble with the run of the ship, indicating important access terminals, consoles, power-lines, and other areas of particular interest. Together, they devised a plan consisting of seven parts: assessment, acquisition, disconnect, adapt, integrate, calibration, and final verification.

Extending a system-port cable into the X-wing's cockpit, and by using the starfighter's own diagnostic systems, Niynx was able to conduct a thorough assessment of the Minnow's damaged power lines. Together, buried in wires and somewhat out of their depth, they inspected the extent of the damage and managed to identify any broken or severed components. Gradually, a comprehensive list for repair was built up and stockpiled on Niynx's mobile data-pad.

With the assessment complete and a list in hand, Noble and Niynx scoured the Minnow's storage bays and non-essential systems to retrieve spare parts and useful salvage. Painstakingly, meticulously, they gathered components which they thought would be compatible with the damaged systems in question and compared them against schematics to ensure a proper fit. Before proceeding, they confirmed that the Minnow's power supply was completely shut down and isolated. Afterwards, Niynx guided the pair in disconnecting the damaged sections of the power line and made sure to label and document each connection in order to aid himself during reassembly.

Over a meal, they modified connectors and wiring as needed to bridge any and all gaps between the make/model of their collected spare parts and the needed infrastructure they were trying to replace. Then, slowly they began integrating the spare parts into the vessel's central power line. In the absence of technical brilliance, they relied instead upon the Force to enhance their precision and minds, maintaining focus and concentration throughout the methodical and delicate process.

"Okay, that should do it," Niynx said, many hours later. Their work finally nearing completion, Niynx keyed the pilot's terminal and powered up the Minnow's systems to conduct a thorough testing. Using undamaged consoles, he ran a battery of tests, empowering various sub routines and checking for any signs of electrical anomalies, voltage fluctuations, or other potential hazards. This led to a second round of repairs and troubleshooting, fine-tuning the calibration of integrated parts where needed to ensure a feasible performance.

Once satisfied with these final modifications, they returned to the pilot's terminal for what surely would be the last verification of the Minnow's central power line. They were gratified to discover that power was flowing smoothly throughout the required systems, verifying the integrity of each connection once more. Lastly, Niynx conducted one final test to confirm the power line's functionality under different load conditions, working up to levels which paralleled that of the Minnow's hyperdrive. The test came back a success.

Niynx sighed in relief, then leaned back in the Captain's seat, swiveling. Grease and sweat covered his dirtied Jedi tunic, and a new collection of rips and tears revealed grimy, tan flesh underneath.
"We did it, Master Noble," Niynx said, sounding exhausted. The whole affair had taken countless hours, made all the longer by their relative ineptitude, but Niynx allowed himself to feel proud. His cloak had long been removed, and was now thrown over the back of a passenger chair, revealing all three of the lightsabers which hung from his belt.
"Thank you."

Minnow_Cockpit_Thirds_light_shadow.png

Last edited:

Noble_X-wing.jpg

Space
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber

Her arms, face and tunic were all covered in grease stains and a thin layer of sweat, but they had managed to make the necessary repairs. When that finally sunk in, Valery let out a deep sigh and ran a hand up through her long hair, to keep it from sticking to her face from all the sweat. What had taken them hours likely wouldn't have even cost half this time if her droid or husband had been here to help — they knew their way around starships a lot better than she ever would.

But as painful and difficult as this had been, she had learned a few new things.

"I don't think I could have done this without you," Valery admitted with a chuckle, before she plopped down into the co-pilot seat like a sack of potatoes. She was quite exhausted from all the hard work, and she wasn't really wearing the right kind of clothing to work on a ship. Bare arms meant she was getting burned by hot components every few seconds, and the skin that generally showed meant she'd have to take a long shower to get clean.

Luckily, it was all worth it in the end. The ship was ready to move, and the Padawan would return to the Temple safely. She knew that he'd have his challenges to process everything once they had time to focus on it, but with some help, he'd get through it all.

"I'll head back to my X-wing, and we can make the jump together. Shouldn't be too long of a trip back to Coruscant," Valery said with a smile, before she got up with a loud groan. Her entire body protested the movements, but she ended up pushing through and left to return to her X-wing. Once she had boarded it soon after, she carefully shifted back into space, and piloted the fighter just ahead of his ship.

"Ready to make the jump?"

Minnow_Cockpit_Thirds_light_shadow.png
  • Deep Space

<< Ready to make the jump? >>

<< Yes, Master Noble. Hyperdrive's still showing green. >> Niynx hesitated before keying off the comms. Absently, he palmed the third lightsaber at at his side.

<< Err— Master Noble, one more thing— >> Niynx collected himself, feeling all of the sudden as if he'd been impulsive.
<< The Sith who killed Master La T'vil spoke of a coming darkness, a disturbance in the Force and a gathering of the dark side we Jedi have not yet foreseen... Master... is such a thing possible? Could it be that our Order is as blind to the movements of the Sith as this assassin made us out to be? >>

Noble_X-wing.jpg

Space
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber

Valery paused and pulled her hand away from the Hyperspace lever when Niynx wanted to ask her a question. It was about a very hot topic at the moment for the Jedi, but especially to her and her husband, whose duty it was to protect the Jedi and Alliance against outside threats.

With their recent findings, there was a lot she could talk about regarding the Sith.

<Blind? No, the war changed a lot about how we approach these things. It kept us worried about the Sith even after it ended, especially with the Sith Order advancing through the Outer Rim,> Valery began before she let out a soft sigh.

<Very recently, my husband and I learned of the Sith Order trying to take over old strongholds in the core, left behind during the the time when the One Sith took over the core. But from there, we also discovered that they're up to something in the Ancient Sith Worlds region.>

<We have a lot of missions running to look into it, and the Alliance Navy and Srmy are being updated too. That said, we should always keep our eyes open for other potential plans they might
have.>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom