Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jedi Dragon Dar'rak's Lightsabers

Image Source: No offical image yet.
Intent: Jedi Knight Dar'rak's personal Lightsabers (to prevent him from having to craft new ones simply because these were lost during a duel.)

Development Thread: Carving a new Blade (WIP)
Manufacturer: Dar'rak
Model: Single-blade Lightsaber with coupling for saber staff configuration
Affiliation: Dar'rak
Modularity: Easily modifiable for a Jedi however unmodifiable by non-force user.
Production: Unique(2)
Material: Crafted with wood from a force attuned tree of a yet unknown flora from Dar'rak's home world. Along with the wood are traces of bone, animal hide and some of Dar'rak's own scales. A Green focusing crystal is used in the hilts as well as other standard lightsaber components giving his blades their signature emerald hue.
Classification: Lightsaber
Size: One-handed
Length:
  • single hilts: 25cm and 33cm respectively.
  • Staff: roughly 58.5cm.
  • Blade lengths: 75cm.
  • Total activeated saber length: 2.08 meters
Weight: 1.5 Kilograms
Special Features:
  • - Dar'rak's new sabers have the ability to connect their pummels due to a cuppler located at the base of one of them.
  • - Due to the hilt being crafter from wood and embuned with the force, they are still a living part of the force just as the Jedi are. Capable of growing and repairing itself as if still rooted in the soil. Strengthening the hilt considerably and making seams vanish creating a single solid unit.This makes the hilts unreconizable as Lightsabers until their blades are ignited. This also give them added protection against damage and destruction from other weapons such as lightsabers.
  • - Dar'rak is able to comunicate with his sabers just as he would with other living things through the force.
Strengths:
  1. As with all Lightsabers capable of cutting through just about anything Dar'rak's sabers are no different in this regard.
  2. Dar'rak's sabers are capable of being used separately or in a double-blade staff configuration via a coupling on one of the hilt's base.
  3. More resistant to being damaged from other Lightsaber attacks.
Weaknesses:
  1. Typical of most lightsabers, this design has a limited range unless thrown.
  2. Being attuned to the living force The hilts may become susceptible to fluctuations in that connection.

Description: Jedi Guardian Dar'rak constructed these Lightsabers some time after the (Invasion) and Liberation of Ossus some years ago. After the battle his Master at he parted ways as he was in need of some soul searching. Wanting to learn a bit more of where he came from. Guided by the force he found himself on an unknown planet not located on his star-charts. Landing on the surface he found some of the sentient species seemed to have a striking resemblance to himself. Though there were clear differences. spending a great deal of time on this planet due to the strong pull of the force located in every corner. From the soil to the tallest tree the planet was strong in the force.

Dar'rak was drawn to one such species of tree and asked the locals about it. They did not tell him much, only that if he meditated near the tree it may speak to him through the force. It could take many days or weeks before he heard an answer, but if he was patient and strong in the force an answer would come and the tree would grant him its blessing. Dar'rak heard and felt a great many things as he sat in meditation within this enchanted forest opening his mind to the will of the force and the planet he rested upon.

Days turned into weeks and then into months before his eyes were opened to the truth. It was at that time that the Reptilian Jedi was drawn deeper into the forest and to a single tree. When he focused on this tree it swayed back and forth to his will as if to answer him. It was at this time that Dar'rak activate his lightsaber and brushed it against the trunk with a single swift motion. a Small narrow chunk of the tree was cut and floated in the air before him held aloft by the force. From this chunk he crafted his new lightsabers.

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Dar'rak said:
a force attuned tree of a yet unknown flora

Dar'rak said:
- Due to the hilt being crafter from wood and embuned with the force, they are still a living part of the force just as the Jedi are. Capable of growing and repairing itself as if still rooted in the soil.
To clarify, was the original tree attuned to the Force? Or was the wood embued with the Force later on by Darrak?

Dar'rak said:
This also give them added protection against damage and destruction from other weapons such as lightsabers.
Is this protection a preventative thing (like actually resisting a lighsaber's blade)? Or is more of the lightsaber repairs itself after taking damage from such weapons?

Oh, you followed me over... Didn't know if that was allowed or not

Gir Quee said:
To clarify, was the original tree attuned to the Force? Or was the wood embued with the Force later on by Darrak?
Depends on what I need for approval I guess. If I can have the tree(wood material) already be connected to the force and be allowed to retain that connection siting "The force flows through all living things" and trees are living. Then the first option. Being similar to the Force tree seen in the Clone Wars. However I am just as happy with the second option.

Gir Quee said:
Is this protection a preventative thing (like actually resisting a lighsaber's blade)? Or is more of the lightsaber repairs itself after taking damage from such weapons?
I am hoping for the first. as suggested in the other topic I am hoping to prevent my hilts from suffering the same fate as Darth mauls should such an instance ever come up. Though being able to self repair even after being broken -- you know now that I say it out loud having a self healing lightsaber almost seems too powerful and not likely to be accepted. Since there are several lightsaber resistant materials out there already, having another seems more likely believable than a material that can self repair. Even if that material was once alive and capable of healing as wood is.

I am going to say both for completeness sake with an emphasis that I do not need both options to be approved. Since they serve the same purpose. To keep me from having to make new lightsabers should something happen to these. I will add that part to the intent section, so as to make that clear.

Sorry I haven't replied to you sooner; if I ever haven't gotten back to you within 24 hours, please shoot me a PM. Sometimes I don't always get notifications, but I don't like to keep people waiting.

Dar'rak said:
Depends on what I need for approval I guess. If I can have the tree(wood material) already be connected to the force and be allowed to retain that connection siting "The force flows through all living things" and trees are living. Then the first option. Being similar to the Force tree seen in the Clone Wars. However I am just as happy with the second option.

I'm not familiar with the Force tree seen in the Clone Wars, but if you can point me to it on Wookieepedia or if you can tell me the episode that it appears in, I can look into it.

I don't have any issue with the second option. This might need to be roleplayed out depending on the power behind it though.

Dar'rak said:
I am hoping for the first. as suggested in the other topic I am hoping to prevent my hilts from suffering the same fate as Darth mauls should such an instance ever come up. Though being able to self repair even after being broken -- you know now that I say it out loud having a self healing lightsaber almost seems too powerful and not likely to be accepted. Since there are several lightsaber resistant materials out there already, having another seems more likely believable than a material that can self repair. Even if that material was once alive and capable of healing as wood is. I am going to say both for completeness sake with an emphasis that I do not need both options to be approved. Since they serve the same purpose. To keep me from having to make new lightsabers should something happen to these. I will add that part to the intent section, so as to make that clear.

It's possible to make a lightsaber-resistant lightsaber hilt, as far as I know. There just needs to be a solid reason behind it, which is most often fulfilled by using restricted materials here on Star Wars Chaos.

Moving on, a self-healing lightsaber might be a possibility, dependent on the development thread behind it and its ability to self-repair. If this is something that takes a decent time to self-repair, I don't think it'll be an issue. If you're opening to looking past wood, laminanium is also an option for a self-healing hilt (perhaps covered by some of the wood). Laminanium is a restricted material though.

No worries [member="Gir Quee"], between real life and you being a Factory Judge I am in no rush. Been picking up a few extra hours at work while my boss in on vacation this week and also found this nifty program on my system called 3D Builder. So have been spending my time between RL work and working on a visual representation of Dar'rak's lightsaber design. Have gotten pretty far with it too. It just wont have the wood grain / bark appearance I am looking for since I do not seem to know how to pull that off. However the color will be there for sure.

To be honest I am not fully familiar with it either. The topic just came up a few times in regards to certain theories on YouTube. One such theory was how Poe Damarion may be Force sensitive due to spending a lot of his childhood playing under such a tree in his back yard. It somehow being related to the tree in the courtyard of the Jedi Temple. I don't know the name of the Episode, but it is shown during a battle between Anakin Skywalker and the Jedi traitor who I think murdered some clones with a bomb and framed Asoka somehow. The Link to the Theory is here where it talks about the tree and a comic where Luke and Poe's Mother retrieve part of it from one of Palpatine's facilities. The Fight he talks about can be viewed here where the tree can be seen briefly at the end. There is a brief article about it (The tree) On Wookiepedia I found via back tracking through related content. So if you'd like to check it out along with the theory to get a better idea on where I am coming from.

As for the Roleplay, I plan on doing that anyway in either a flashback / memory as he is traveling through the stars or as he actually creates the sabers. Give a type of synopsis of what the character had been doing since the last time I was here. Since the Saber's will be attuned to his connection to the force much like how crystals are.

As for the self healing:
I was looking at something along the lines of a natural tree/plant's ability to heal augmented by the force. So take something like a weed or bush, trim it back and you can see how quickly it regrows. I have a tree outside where I work that was actually struck by lightning severing it in half. My Boss thought we should remove the tree as it was now dead however what remains rooted is re-growing and has greenery sprouting from it's top. Now where a weed/bush can repair within hours to days a large tree could take weeks to months and even years. Due in part to the size and extensiveness of the repair/regrowth. The tree outside my workplace will likely take years to return to what it once was but it is sure to get there eventually.

Now take a Jedi's ability to heal due to their connection to the force and add it to a plant's already fast cycle of recuperation. Now since we are talking about Lightsaber hilts the duration would likely be more around the time of a bush or weed and not a large tree. Now as expected the process could be accelerated by focusing on it. Something that would be really hard to do in the heat of combat but is possible by a skilled / powerful (strong in the force) Jedi/Sith.

If this was a different character I would go for a material other that wood. But due to Dar'rak's species' reliance on more primitive and natural weapons such as bows and spears I think a wooden hilt fits him and his personality much better. Also I have always wanted one since my days as a youngling taking sticks from the woods and sword fighting with my brother. I nearly flipped when I seen the episode of clone wars where the Wookie youngling asked for a wooden hilt.

As for a development thread. There isn't one to date as I do not know how to go about it exactly. Does one RP finding such a tree and slowly discovering that it is force sensitive and then what? It is not quite the same as an ore or alloy where one could RP discovering a mine of the substance, farm it, and then practice smelting it to discover it's properties as they make whatever required the mineral to begin with.

Awesome links, thanks for sharing.

Dar'rak said:
Now take a Jedi's ability to heal due to their connection to the force and add it to a plant's already fast cycle of recuperation. Now since we are talking about Lightsaber hilts the duration would likely be more around the time of a bush or weed and not a large tree. Now as expected the process could be accelerated by focusing on it. Something that would be really hard to do in the heat of combat but is possible by a skilled / powerful (strong in the force) Jedi/Sith.
What timeframe would we be looking at then?

Dar'rak said:
As for a development thread. There isn't one to date as I do not know how to go about it exactly. Does one RP finding such a tree and slowly discovering that it is force sensitive and then what? It is not quite the same as an ore or alloy where one could RP discovering a mine of the substance, farm it, and then practice smelting it to discover it's properties as they make whatever required the mineral to begin with.
That could work. If it's not a restricted material of sort, you have a lot of leeway in what constitutes as your development thread. The key thing to remember is that the thread should substantially involve whatever you are making. I do think that finding the tree and discovering its abilities could definitely count towards this. I would also recommend (but it's not necessary) including the process of harvesting the wood and turning it into the lightsaber hilt. Then you can demonstrate your character and how he will use the Force to augment its natural healing abilities.

You are very welcome for the links and I hope it gave you some insight as it did me.

Are you asking about the tree itself or Dar'rak's lightsabers because I could possibly answer both.

Tree:
Because it is rooted in the ground and retains its connection to the force via both just existing as well as the natural nutrients from the soil on which it is planted. I would give the tree an average healing rate of about a week to a month depending on the severity of the injury / damage. Being completely cut down and harvested it would take longer naturally.

Hilts:
Dar'rak's hilts being smaller would not take near as long but again it would depend on the type of damage to them. For example if I reuse Maul's example it likely would not take much more than an hour due to it simply being cut in half. As long as the core / roots are still strong that is. In order to not keep him out of the fight for too long I would shorten that timeframe depending on his focus. However like pruning back a Bonsai tree or other small plant Dar'rak would have to do the same in order to be able to reconnect his two hilts. As the hilts would still be "living" they may require a different type of maintenance than typical hilts.

Let me give a better example if I can,
Trees and other plants grow wild and take on a wide range of shapes and sizes. While there is typically a uniform design some grow in strange and unusual ways. Since a Lightsaber hilt is not a natural shape Dar'rak or anyone else would have to use the force to prune and shape it the way they need. If allowed to grow naturally it may not come out as the desired shape. This would likely also be true of the repairing. Simply letting it alone to regrow the damage may result in a less than wieldable shape and design. Thorns, Knots, whatever else makes branches not idea swords.

Oh! Should that be listed under "weaknesses"? As the maintenance could be a bit more difficult?

I'm mostly interested in the hilt, since that's within my purview. If you want to sub the species of the tree itself (or flesh out it's canon stub), it would go into the site's codex section.

Dar'rak said:
Oh! Should that be listed under "weaknesses"? As the maintenance could be a bit more difficult?

Yes, I could see this potentially being a weakness depending on the difficulty of the task and also from a lore perspective: this would certainly take a special skill set to learn and care for, especially compared to most metal repairs.

However, this may not really be a weakness from a practical, OOC level, especially if your character is so easily able to fix it.

I don't see any issue with what you've described, but I do think that it merits a development thread that's somewhere between 10-15 posts. If you have any questions about the development thread, let me know. Otherwise, let me know when you add the development thread to the submission itself.

[member="Gir Quee"] Development thread in-route. I do have a question though about how I should go about it since I have never made a development thread before. Do I simply mark posts in a particular thread that involve the selected item, in this case my Lightsaber. Or do I need to make a separate topic specifically for the crafting of the blade/hilt? I am all for the second one as I would love to RP his trip though uncharted space and the actual crafting of the hilt as it would help me dive deeper into the lore of the Lightsaber and their components. However this begs the question... Do I need to drag another poster along for the ride or can the topic be basically me double posting to the 10-15 requirement. Also you mention the thread being 10-15 posts, does that include any other posters or just my own count within the topic?

Oh this is so exiting I met wet my Robes.... :embarassed:

I'm going to partially direct you to this thread, just to show you where I'm pulling some of this information from, and partially to help inform you about the ideas behind development threads for any future submissions that you make.

Dar'rak said:
Development thread in-route. I do have a question though about how I should go about it since I have never made a development thread before. Do I simply mark posts in a particular thread that involve the selected item, in this case my Lightsaber. Or do I need to make a separate topic specifically for the crafting of the blade/hilt?
If the thread is centered on the development itself itself, we generally won't ask for specific post numbers. However, if you're doing your development in a massive, public thread (such as a dominion, invasion, skirmish, etc) where there are a bunch of people posting about things that aren't related to the item in question, we generally will ask for the specific posts that are about the item.

Dar'rak said:
Do I need to drag another poster along for the ride or can the topic be basically me double posting to the 10-15 requirement.
There are some development threads that do require multiple writers (usually really large ships or rare materials), but outside of those specific cases, you can generally do development threads individually or as part of a group. In other words, for this case, you can do it solo or as part of a larger group. The choice is up to you.

Dar'rak said:
Also you mention the thread being 10-15 posts, does that include any other posters or just my own count within the topic?
Basically, I need 10-15 posts about the item itself, regardless of who's actually posting. In other words, if there is another writer in the same thread who isn't actually writing anything related to the item in question, we probably won't count that as a development post.

Sweet, thanks for the Answers and the link. I will check it out after posting this reply. Think I am going to jump over to the LFG area and see if I can snatch anyone up for NPCs. I am going to make a flashback-ish thread and Dar'rak will actually make the blade himself. Guess I need to ask that this topic be put on hold until that is done? ALso made some major progress in my visual concept. Going to post that at the top when I am finish with it.

Dar'rak said:
Guess I need to ask that this topic be put on hold until that is done?
Not necessarily, though you can if you wish. Generally if you expect development to take longer than one week, we ask that you let us know so that we can move it to the archives temporarily just to keep the forum less cluttered. If you expect it to take less than a week, I would probably just leave it here as is.

If it does go into the archives, send a private message to one of the Factory Admins or RPJs, and they can pull it back up here so that we can continue the approval process.

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
[member="Dar'rak"]

At the request of Gir and since he is on LOA for a week or so I am taking over this submission. Just bumping you and letting you know. If you need some time for the development let me know and I can Archive this till you are done. At which time you can tag me and I will have it taken out of archive and we can finish it up :). if you will be done in a day or two just let me know and we will leave it here for ya.

[member="Reshmar"] Oh Hi there. Thank you for letting me know. Seeing as how this is my first Factory sub and Development thread attachment I am not sure how long it will take. Depends on scheduling and alike. That being said for the sake of cleanliness while I will not ask for this to be moved I am going to say that I will leave it up to your discretion to keep it here or move it. Be it now, later or whenever suits. Since I do not know if it will take a day, week or what have you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom