Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech JA-100 'Stormglaive'

Status
Not open for further replies.
S u p e r i o r
cAu4a6R.jpg
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

• Intent: To provide the Jaemus Royal Guard a standard issue weapon amongst their members.
  • Image Source: Final Fantasy XIII | X
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Restricted Missions: N/A
  • Primary Source: Force Staff | Force Pike | DC-15S Sidearm Blaster
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: The Sith Empire
  • Model: JA-100 'Stormglaive'
  • Affiliation: Closed-Market | The Sith Empire | Jaemus Royal Guard
  • Modularity: No

• Production: Limited
  • Material: Durasteel, Vibroblades, Blaster Components

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Blaster Spear Hybrid
  • Size: Large
  • Weight: Light
  • Ammunition Type: Power Cell
  • Ammunition Capacity: 15 shots [Recharge]

• Reload Speed: None [1.5s per shot]
  • Effective Range: Average
  • Rate of Fire: Low
  • Stopping Power: Very High
  • Recoil: Low
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Hybrid Transformation
    The JA-100 'Stormglaive' is a hybrid weapon that takes on the appearance and function as a spear-like weapon. It is usually seen in this form for ceremonial appearances but functions just as well as any form of vibroweapon when engaged in melee combat. A simple twist of the shaft converts it into a blaster mode, with the blades moving out of the way to allow for an unhindered line of fire from the blaster integrated into the head of the weapon.

[*]Vibroblade Edge
  • The JA-100 'Stormglaive' has a vibrobladed tip, that can cut through thin durasteel armor as well as flesh and bone when activated. The size and length of the blade make it ideal for inflicting stab wounds from a distance when engaged in melee combat.

Strengths:
  • Similar to Force Staffs used by old Mandalorian Royal Guards, the Stormglaive is capable of deflecting blaster bolts from blaster pistols in the hands of a skilled user.
  • The Stormglaive is equipped with variable power settings for its blaster function. It is capable of firing stun bolts that can drop a full grown Wookie or fire lethal blaster bolts.
  • The Stormglaive's innate recharging cell allows for the wielder to never have to reload, rather just letting the weapon recharge its shots over time.
Weaknesses:
  • The Stormglaive's slow rate of fire makes it a poor weapon in extended firefights. While it is a powerful weapon, its fire rate makes it difficult to maintain a position without being overwhelmed if the enemy is abundant in numbers.
  • Due to the Stormglaive being primarily used for melee purposes as its ranged function is often negligible, this requires the user to be within close proximity to an enemy in order to pose much of a credible harm.

DESCRIPTION
The JA-100 'Stormglaive' is the weapon of choice wielded by the Jaemus Royal Guard. A lengthy spear that is exclusively wielded by the Guard, it is a symbol of the Guard's commitment and devotion to the Royal Palace of Jaemus. The Stormglaive is an excellent melee weapon given its design and has been fashioned after an old design. The shaft is able to deflect blaster bolts of small arms fire in the hands of a capable individual and excels as a melee weapon.

The Stormglaive doubles as a semi-automatic blaster rifle, converting to this form with a twist of the shaft, allowing the blades to shift to the size and make a clear line of fire for the blaster's muzzle. This blaster mode packs a punch and is capable of firing either lethal or stun bolts at an enemy. Since the Stormglaive is a self-sufficient weapon, it does not require reloading as the power cell recharges the weapon at a steady rate.

Duchess Roweena said:
recharge its shots over time

How much time do we mean here? Quick enough to be used in the same duel? Able to be used throughout a battle? This would have a factor on how balanced this weapon would be, so choose accordingly.

[member="Duchess Roweena"]

S u p e r i o r
Considering the rate that the DC-15S sidearm recharges at, I would probably say roughly 75% of that speed. It already has a low capacity of 20 shots for a rifle, and isn't classified as a sniper, so I think that would be relatively fair unless you'd like to point out a reason as to why it would not be.

[member="The Major"]

Taken directly from wookie:

The DC-15s had a recharge rate of one round per second

So 20 seconds for a full recharge. And you say 75 percent that of the sidearm. So 15 seconds to shoot another 20 shots?

Absolutely not. Not for rifle that is also a spear that can also deflect enemy blaster bolts. Bear in mind that if we keep it as you specify this weakness becomes invalidated:

Duchess Roweena said:
The Stormglaive's slow rate of fire makes it a poor weapon in extended firefights. While it is a powerful weapon, its fire rate makes it difficult to maintain a position without being overwhelmed if the enemy is abundant in numbers.

Your sub is in fact THE perfect weapon for an extended firefight against standard troops using blasters. It can fire and then be used as a melee weapon as the enemy closes. It can recharge quickly enough to sustain fire during an assault or fighting retreat or while in melee mode.

Regardless, any position is untenable if an enemy is abundant in numbers and swarming.

I would hate for you to think I dislike this sub. On the opposite, I think it's quite good. But we need a different kind of weakness to round it out more comprehensively.

Here's my counter proposal: have it use internal sensors to switch modes or recharge -making it so that ion/emp disables this function without repair.

S u p e r i o r
When I stated 75%, it was meant to be 25% slower than the DC-15S as I was making that percentage based on how quickly it regenerated. Meaning it would be 1.25s to recharge a single shot rather than the 1s that the DC-15S possesses, so by that, it would be 20 shots every 25 seconds instead of what you presumed to be 15 seconds. In retrospect, it is a confusing way that I have put it, but as it was in my head, the rate of recharge is meant to be slower.

I'm not sure if the rate of fire was factored into the second part of your judgment, but it is meant to be a slow firing weapon. If you consider how it would be in a standalone firefight between a blaster that fires with the same speed as a normal rifle, it'll be simple to see which is able to stop more opponents within a span of time.

My intention for this weapon's design as a part rifle isn't meant to be primarily used as a rifle, it is more meant to be a backup function in a sticky situation, and I would also add will likely never be wielded by any PC to begin with given its distinct usage to an NPC related group that I am in the process of writing up. It is meant to be a defensive weapon which why it lacks the same offensive capacity as most of its counterparts.

While I will more than willingly comply with the counter-proposal, might I instead drop it down to a capacity of 10-15 shots with a 50% slower recharge speed (1.5s per shot) which would be 10 shots (With 15s to fully recharge) or 15 shouts (At 20s to fully recharge).

[member="The Major"]

Ah. With that explanation things certainly come much more in line. I would definitely ping for secondary with 10-15 total capacity (we can say that depends on the power setting used) with a 1.5 second per shot recharge rate WITHOUT any additional alterations or added weaknesses.

Essentially, it'll be a trick weapon that uses mechanical components to transform -almost entirely the same as your original blueprint. Sound good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom