Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private It's Not Your Fault

Thurion offered a weak chuckle at Kahlil's words, but it rang hollow, bereft of mirth. He could not bring himself to make light of their shared predicament, older and closer to that unspoken, inevitable loss as he was. Kahlil's journey with Valery at his side had, in the grand scheme of things, only begun, and he could not possibly know the heartbreak that awaited those destined to lead long lives.

The Lion did not give an answer when the decades-younger man posed a lighthearted question regarding the icy treat that (hopefully) awaited him in the morning. Instead, Thurion abruptly halted, his hand firmly upon Kahlil's shoulder, preventing him from taking another step.

"Kahl," he said with uttermost solemnity, far removed from the gregarious King he liked to portray himself as. In his place, there stood a humble carpenter worried about what lay ahead, eyes filled with regret. "I wish another favour of you," his hand fell from his shoulder to take him by the hand, squeezing it like he would a loved one. "Promise me you won't squander the years to come. You take that beautiful wife of yours and those precious bundles of joy you two have made together, and you live life to the fullest. Live in the moment, always, for there is no knowing what tomorrow might bring."

He released his cane, but no thud or clatter of it striking the ground followed. It was kept upright where he left it, held in place by the slightest of effort from the old Jedi. With said hand, he clasped the back of Kahlil's neck with the gentlest touch, all to emphasize the sincerity of his request.

"It would give this 78-year-old a good night's rest," he added with a soft smile, bright disposition returned.

Kahlil Noble Kahlil Noble

Kahlil_Div2.png

"To protect the Wellspring means it will ask much of you. I was there for five years. Unable to leave. Watching Vera grow without me." Kahlil squeezed Thurion's hand in turn. Resentment, bitterness, frustration. They leaked into his eyes before he could stamp them down. It was the cost of saving Valery from death, but to be left believing he had in turn died, that he could no longer be in their lives, it was frustrating.

"I can easily make that promise, as I'm already living my life that way."

He brought back a smile, brighter and warmer than before.

"Nothing will stop me from spending my life with the family that loves me."

Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield

Thurion nodded, satisfied with the answer given. He proceeded to pull Kahlil into an embrace, warm and firm. Though it put a strain on his wounds, Thurion didn't care. Before him stood an unloved child, discarded and neglected, a mere pawn of his creators. There also stood a grown man, someone who gave himself to others but never took anything for himself. His embrace of Kahlil was not only his way of expressing gratitude; it was to provide for him what had never been given until now.

A father's love.

As the embrace ended, Thurion cupped Kahlil's cheeks and gently pressed his forehead against his. In Valkyri culture, this gesture was considered the most intimate display of love and respect, usually reserved for family and loved ones. It was one the Nobles had earned, as they were now part of the Lion's pride.

"Gods bless you, Kahlil of House Noble," he said with the utmost sincerity, smiling. "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you think, and loved more than you know. Let it be known that should any horrors out there seek to do harm unto thee, they ought to tremble. Because nobody threatens my kid and gets away with it," he added, only half-joking.

Holding Kahlil's gaze for another moment, the Lion grabbed his cane and turned away from the Shield of the Jedi, seemingly no longer needing the support to get around. Perhaps he never truly did; who can tell?

"Best go back to bed, son," he told him without looking back as he made his way down the hall. "It's rude to keep a lady waiting, don't you know! Rookie mistake!"

Thurion chuckled as he rounded the corner, finding the medical wing just up ahead. The door to his room was ajar, the light he'd left turned on the only guide he ever needed.

"I hope it's strawberry," the old man smiled, thinking of home.

Kahlil Noble Kahlil Noble

Kahlil_Div2.png

Kahlil blinked.

He'd realized Thurion was showing him affection this entire time. Like a friend, comrades who fought and nearly perished against a common foe. Fellow parents who knew the pain of having their child taken from them. But this kind of hug was different. He stood there awkwardly for a moment, trying to piece the meaning behind it in his mind. Then chuckled. It was obvious from the get go.

It was the same kind of hug he'd often give Vera.

He returned the hug, if briefly, before nodding with a wide, warm smile.

"Right. I won't keep her waiting, then. Rest up well, okay?"

Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom