Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private It's Not About You

It would be nice to assure the young woman everyone in the Mandragora would be completely open with her, but Vytal wasn't blinded with optimism. Everyone shared, though not necessarily with the same enthusiasm. That said it was one of the very few requirements of anyone that sought access to the resources of the Mandragora. You need not bend yourself to any one god or prostrate yourself before Vytal begging her blessing -- though she couldn't say she would mind that -- but you did need to share what you learned.

A soft chuckle followed Taiia's remark. "Perhaps a little. I grasp your meaning. An understanding might be considered more obtainable, but an understanding of what? If ever you reach a point in your existence you feel you have come to truly understand a thing, remember there is much more in the galaxy which you could turn your mind toward."

"What is it that you do when not seeking to learn the knowledge and wisdom of those that touch the 'Force,' Taiia? Perhaps I could point you to an area of the Castle you could relax. Let what you have heard or read steep for a time. Many have come to sudden realizations drifting in a pool, or observing wildlife -- little things completely divorced from what they'd been studying."
As admirable Taiia's pursuit -- and one Vytal was interested in hearing more of as it developed -- it would be a crime if the Nightmother did not ensure the woman's mental health. Endless study with no time to simply breathe was rarely suffered by a body long; or that knowledge retained save for those blessed and cursed with droid-like memory.

Tag: Talak Jenste Talak Jenste

Taiia looked a bit amused as she saw Vytal chuckle at her own mocking herself. Folding her arms over her chest she thought a moment more “I think the point is, to continually be learning, not to assume there is an end to knowledge. If there is one thing, I have learned in even the short time we have been talking is already there is a depth to the force that I have not previously known” she paused for a short moment when the conversation shifted she was thrown off only a tiny bit but it was noticeable “Well when I was in the enclave, I used to sit and read in the archives or spar with the other padawans but that isn’t what you meant.” She looked ahead and she thought things over in her mind, before turning back to Vytal “I mean I do rest but other activities? Not really”

She had to smile inward one of the same complaints they had about her at the enclave, never taking time to relax always working and learning perhaps it would one day be to her detriment, she turned her eyes out over the horizon of Ryloth. "Now however, there is plenty for me to go and see and experience I suppose"

Tag: Vytal Noctura Vytal Noctura

"Anyone that assumes there's an end to what they can learn, hasn't seen enough of the universe," Vytal agreed with a nod. Even if you assumed the Infite Library in the Castle contained every scrap of information about every facet of existence, no one would come close to absorbing it all. The Nightmother also knew their library did not contain all information. It was a work in progress.

Sit, read, and spar. That was about what Vytal expected of the Jedi save for Taiia leaving out 'meditate' in her list. A bit stereotypical. Limited. It wouldn't do so long as the young woman was in the Mandragora's sphere of influence. She would have to expand her horizons. There were Witches that behaved like Jedi -- too focused on their studies to pay attention to the wider world around them -- and it wasn't healthy. Whenever Vytal heard of someone like that she'd observe them to determine when a stern hand was needed to force them to take a break.

"There is. Though much of Ryloth is less scenic than this 'green belt' the Castle occupies, there remains plenty to explore. Nearby we have the 'Valley of Life,' which is fertile land where we grow plants from all over the galaxy. Should you come across an interesting specimen, I'm certain the groundskeepers, apothecary, and the greenhouse Sisters and Brothers would all be in your debt." Long walks in a garden -- by day or night -- would do wonders for Taiia's health and any time she needed to flirt with someone. Hadn't done Vytal any good, but she had extenuating circumstances holding up her romantic life.

Tag: Talak Jenste Talak Jenste

Taiia nodded to Vytal “There is always something new to learn, I would not have it any other way.” again the topic shifted back to activities outside the castle, she smiled and agreed aloud “I think I will do just that, maybe I will find something interesting on my walks, the air is always good to refresh yourself. Thank you again for this opportunity both the studying and the rest, one can sleep on a ship only so long” Taiia paused a moment and closed her eyes listening to the world around her, reaching out through the force and for the moment really taking in the place she would be calling home for a while. It felt at peace, she was happy for that. She opened her eyes again and looked back to Vytal. "I honestly don't know what you expect to learn from me but I hope to meet your expectations"

A soft, throat rumble followed Taiia's comment. "My expectations are that you will learn the world is not easily categorized. It does not fit neatly into a philosophy of the living. It does not bow before our wants or our needs. Nevertheless, we, the Mandragora, will seek to uncover its mysteries and ensure the realm of the Living and of the Dead remain balanced." The Nightmother regarded the woman for a moment. "To that end, I expect anyone that walks this path will share what they learn along the way, as we will share what we learn. It is not so narrow that only one of us are permitted the privilege of learning."

Vytal strode back toward the inner courtyard with a smile on her lips. "I will show you where you can find food, drink, fellowship, and then your room here at the Castle. For as long as you like, Taiia." Revocation of one's right to study or reside at the Castle rarely happened. Only those that violated the tenants of the Mandragora earned expulsion.

Tag: Taiia Locke Taiia Locke

She nodded as she listened to the nightmother and walked at her side "So more of a mutual understanding of what we both believe , a give and take of knowledge as it were. Much like I feel the force is" she folded her hands behind her back as she walking considering things further. "Thank you again, I look forward to learning from you all and hopefully bringing some of it to the wider Jedi. I feel such narrow horizons are wrong when the force itself is not limited in scope." she smiled as the topic shifted again slightly "I am curious to see what my home will look like for the next long while, i am already sure its nicer than Jedi accommodations" she grinned.

Vytal smiled before she led the way across the inner courtyard toward the North Tower. "Here is the main entrance to the Castle. The courtyard through those doors," the three-story tall ones and the more human-sized inset doors, "leads to the road, which guests can come and go safely. If they are authorized to use it. Any other will suffer greatly as they wander the woods aimlessly. I would stick to leisurely strolls in the Valley of Life; we do not allow the predators to roam there freely." No one liked pruning delicate plant life or harvesting fragile ingredients only to be set upon by a dracoline.

She gestured off to the left down one wing of the Tower, "The dining hall is in that direction. Of course we have our common area here," where they stood surrounded by three levels of open walkways on either side. "This is a place of leisure and polite conversation. Philosophical fights should be left to the ritual halls," Vytal remarked with a soft laugh. They were scholars, not droids. Tempers could flair when one was passionate about their work.

"Now, this way," the Nightmother led Taiia in the opposite direction of the dining hall, "lies the Library." She stopped before the open double door archway to show off the rows upon rows of tomes on display. "Spiritual energy guards them. Be sure to check them out, and return them. No one enjoys a poltergeist waking them in the middle of the night moaning that you forgot to return something." If that was a joke, Vytal provided no chuckle to indicate such. She did, however, smile knowing how humorous such gentle reminders could be to young Sisters and Brothers.

Unless Taiia found interest in throwing herself into reading, however, Vytal continued to another set of double doors not far from there. "You may have seen some spiraling staircases in the common area, but you will find very few stairways in the Castle. Here or there, perhaps. Most travel by using these," her hands reached out to pull open the doors and reveal a large bedroom on the other side. "They can connect different area of the Castle with merely a thought. This is often a new Sister or Brother's first trial in joining us -- mastering their own thoughts enough so they arrive where they mean to." She turned to look over at Taiia with a smirk. "Have no fear, private areas are off limits. Even your chambers can only have the inner door opened by you." Or a Senior Sister or Brother, of course, in case of emergency.

The Dathomiri women stepped through the doorway, like any other, and strode into the bedroom. A low red carpet was pinned beneath a four-post bedroom with black sheets hanging from them. Two large dressers, a writing desk, and a comfortable recliner decorated the room. "Each chamber can be customized for those that stay with us. As with anything else, we ask Sisters and Brothers live in balance with the world around them. Too many material distractions can be detrimental, but I have no complaints if you decorate with artwork or change the color scheme. You should be comfortable in the place to sleep so you are not distracted from your tasks by exhaustion."

Tag:
Taiia Locke Taiia Locke

Taiia walked with the Nightmother as she was given the tour, she was quite sure she looked like a child looking at everything with a sense of awe and wonder, it was so radically different from she had ever seen or heard of. She filed away in her mind key locations and points of interest she would be sure to visit once again one her own time. When she saw the library she stopped a moment a small smile forming on her face leaving Vytal no doubt she would make full use of this, then she showed Taiia the door that would take you wherever you thought of she grinned a bit and followed Vytal through the doorway.

“This is amazing” again that childlike wonder showed through every now and again, the Jedi had taught her much but there was a limit to knowledge when one limited the subject. “Honestly I won’t be making many changes if at all. It truly seems like you have everything one could want here”

Vytal smiled at Taiia's remark. There was no need to burden a new member with why the Mandragora amassed so much for themselves. The less they were forced to rely on outside resources, the greater the chance they could weather any that came against them. Being the "heretics" of the galaxy not conforming to the Grand Philosophies of the Force, while also being a nightmare-inducing source for those that scarcely even understood the Force, their extensive measures had been necessary. Even the lack of stairs and a reliance on magic was an effort to frustrate most of an invading host.

"The Sisters and Brothers that reside and study here should not be burdened by thoughts of how they will acquire what they will need -- for themselves or their research. We have learned much over the years, and while mindful not to take advantage of that bounty use it so we are able to watch and care for the Balance between the living and the dead." The Nightmother smiled for a moment again. "Do not hesitate to ask if you need something."

Tag:
Taiia Locke Taiia Locke

Taiia stood across from the Nightmother surveying the room she walked around a bit and took it in much larger than anything she was used to and well-furnished more than she even thought about having but all the same she smiled when she turned back to Vytal. “A much different view than the Jedi which I welcome, they view possession as distraction” she pasued “Actually they see everything as a distraction” she grinned and shook her head “As I said, I don’t think I will be needing anything but thank you all the same. I will keep it in mind for certain”

"A natural reaction," Vytal replied. "This galactic civilization drowns itself in materialism and struggles for power. It is inevitable a monastical order would surface and shun all of it. There are times I feel the same way." A brief pause allowed a small smile to appear. "However, we allow Sisters and Brothers here to research what they will; so I see no reason to make demands of their personal life. Unless it harms them or those around them."

"Shall I leave so you can rest? You are free to move around the Castle grounds. However, I would suggest you have a Groundskeeper accompany you if you choose to visit the Valley of Life nearby. Some plant life there can be sensitive to sapient contact."
There were a lot of things the Nightmother could caution Taiia against, but most of them were not dangerous and would make themselves readily apparent. No need to bore the woman to tears.

Tag: Taiia Locke Taiia Locke

Taiia nodded affirmatively “Yes I think I would like to rest, and I have taken up enough of your time as well. I appreciate the invitation and I will be careful should I go wandering.” She smiled a bit and then she bowed sincerely to the Nightmother. “Have a good evening, I guess the adventure truly begins tomorrow.”

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom