Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction It's Been a Long, Long Time [First Order]

Renata Westaway

R
Garden Street Station Complex
Under Avalonia, Dosuun
Theme

"I'm going on morning rounds," Renata Westaway announced to the small substation control room that had been repurposed as a kind of conference room-cum-break room for command staff in the underground bunker. The three others in the room, a human man, a twi'lek woman, and a human woman, glanced over at her and nodded their assent. "If you need me, I'll be on the radio." She clipped the walkie-talkie to her belt and pulled a battered dark blue quilted jacket on, jamming her arms through the sleeves. She took a gun -- more out of habit than any real threat -- and let herself out of the room, heading along the catwalk that wrapped around the concrete room. As she took the stairs carefully down to the access tunnel, she mused that she only thought it was morning rounds.

Satellite uplinks had failed during the first minutes of the invasion, and batteries for hand-held devices that kept time reliably had long since been drained. The daily rhythm kept time, more or less, but for Renata it was maddeningly imprecise. She liked to think that she got tired and hungry at about the same time each day, but she knew that some days were more exhausting than others, and some days burned more calories than others. By instinct she glanced at her wristwatch -- a gift from her parents on the occasion of her first degree -- but it was, of course, purely decorative and sentimental now, the battery long having been drained. For all she knew it could be mid-afternoon on the surface, broad daylight if the spot where Avalonia stood still experienced weather like it once had.

It was another piece of information that was infuriatingly absent from her database.

She shook her head to clear her thoughts and emerged into the tunnel. The first stop was the fungi cisterns and processing center. "Alin," she said when she approached the foreman at that location. "How's it going? Were you able to get that leak sorted?"

Alin was middle-aged. He had been a plumber on the surface. He didn't even like mushrooms. "I think so," he said, beckoning her closer. Renata followed him around the large cistern to where he shone his flashlight on the cistern, showing where a fresh coat of sealant had been applied to a broad patch. "We weren't able to isolate the precise location without draining it, and we can't afford to do that until this crop of 'shrooms is ready to harvest."

Renata nodded, reaching up to pull a lock of blonde hair from the elastic that secured her eyepatch in place. "I know," she said. "But we're down to our last few cans of sealant. We can't really afford to do these big patches much longer, either." Her blue-green eyes flickered over to her foreman and her lips twitched up in a smile. "Not a criticism," she added in haste. "Just thinking out loud. If I'm sending anyone up to the surface -- and I don't know how I'll even do that with our surface tunnels getting filled in by god-knows-what -- it'll be for power packs, water filters, and air scrubbers, not sealant." She frowned and pulled out a small notebook, using a stubby pencil to take a note. "Good work, Alin, thanks. Let me know when those are ready to come out and we'll see about doing an internal patch. We've got plenty of liners, maybe it's time to just re-line the whole damned thing."

"You got it, Doc," said Alin.

She was halfway to the next stop on her rounds, the first air filter substation when her walkie-talkie squawked. Through the static, the voice of the twi'lek woman, Jalisa, came through: "Boss, need you in sector one-one-three-eight-aurek. Right away."

Renata frowned, her eyebrows furrowing with irritation. She lifted the walkie-talkie, depressed the transmit key. "What is it, Jalisa? I'm just getting started here."

"Multiple reports of code black from the tunnel entrance there, Renata," came the response. "Iain and Cler are on their way already. They should be catching up with you soon."

Renata put her hand to her forehead as she considered the information, but her deliberations were cut short when an ominous rumble shook through the tunnel, sending sediment and dust sprinkling down like dry, dirty snow. It wasn't the first time there had been some disturbance in the tunnels, but this felt different.

Closer.

She bit back a curse and clicked the button on her radio again. "I'm on my way. Unlock the weapons lockers in all sectors and get the word out to our district captains. Rendezvous at one-one-three-eight-aurek, soon as. And tell Cler and Iain to book it." She took her own advice and took off, sprinting through the tunnels as fast as her legs and the limited light would allow her. Five minutes and two rolling tumbles later, she entered sector 1138-A. A crowd had gathered, armed to the teeth, and they turned and parted as she entered, Cler and Iain close on her heels. "Somebody tell me what we know," she called to the crowd at large. The knew better by then to start talking all at once; the man who had originally reported movement in the tunnels came forward. "Palyo," she said, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Talk to me."

"I heard it first," Palyo said. He was a young man, about sixteen if she remembered right. "Creaking. Like when the underground cars used to settle, you know, when the buildings came down. But that was years ago." Renata nodded in what she hoped came across as encouragement rather than the impatience she felt. As they spoke, she guided him towards the tunnel entrance. It had been blocked since the assault had collapsed the street over the tunnel under the weight of what seemed to Renata to be roughly a third of the old financial district's buildings.

"Lights," Renata called over her shoulder. In the distance, an emergency generator sputtered to life, running on the fumes of fumes. It was enough to light the tunnel's emergency lighting, bathing the tunnel in crimson light until it disappeared into the rubble.

"Then I saw it," said Palyo. "Stuff shaking. Trembling. Something's in the tunnel. You can hear it if you listen."

Renata decided to test that theory. She wandered into the tunnel, then climbed into an underground carriage through the gap where the door had once been. The carriage was all but flattened, but the reinforced seats had stopped the debris from flattening it entirely. It caused a claustrophobic tunnel that Renata could just about army-crawl her way through. She took her blaster out and flicked the flashlight on, then shone it down this small passage. She could see dim red emergency lighting out the other end of the carriage. Renata was not prepared to go spelunking today, not at all, but she wasn't sure what choice she had.

At that moment, in the distance but distinctly within the tunnel structure, a machine roared to life, its unseen machinations causing the screech of metal against metal to echo down the tunnel. Renata swore under her breath and wriggled her way out of the carriage again. "Well," she announced. "There's definitely something in the tunnel, and I'm willing to bet it's coming this way." Her mind raced, considering the options. What if it was the scales? What if it was plunderers or scavengers? Would they have the right equipment to clear the tunnels? Could her people stay and fight? Would it be safer to fall back into the tunnels and hide?

Another shrieking sound of metal against metal, the shuddering and unmistakable sound of something heavy being moved. Renata's breath caught in her throat. "Lights!" she shouted. The generator flickered off, and the red glow instantly subsided. She turned back to the group, which had only grown as more volunteers arrived with weapons. "All right, people," she announced. "Take up defensive positions on the catwalks and behind the barriers. Cler, if it's the scales, you'll need to blow the charges in the tunnel mouth. That should make bring more rubble down and give us time to retreat into the tunnels to evaluate their strength. If it's people..." she brushed something itchy from beneath her eyepatch. "If it's people, be prepared to return fire, but unless they shoot first, only fire on my command. Is everyone clear?"

A chorus of affirmative responses greeted her.

"Good," she said. "Take your places, everyone." Renata clicked her walkie-talkie. "Something's coming. Get the vulnerable people to shelter positions until further notice."

Resurgent Narrative

R
Captain Vir Aetos had been steadily working to clear out the old tunnels for a while. Been that way for a year at least now, "hold!" He ordered as the machines ate through leftover rebar and duracrete. Much of the underground was to be reconstructed, better this time with a secondary level for command. Aetos and his platoon had found pockets of death mostly, people had waited on their government to save them - only there was no more government. The Ssi-Ruuvi had destroyed everything, every backup, and emplacement to back that up in one fell swoop.
Money got tighter, and then the fat cats from the Sith Empire and their so-called Hegemony showed up. Made things worse, but things were steadily reaching a 'normal.' Normal at least for the people of Dosuun and with Avalonia back on its feet everything else was sure to follow. "Get me a map of the old tunnels." He placed his hands over his utility belt as he grabbed a flashlight.
A runner returned to him with a map, he stepped around the machines and set the map on a table. The Avalonian sunlight was all that he needed at the moment. "Okay, these were the old stations, and this was Garden Street." Much of the old city to the South of the old Avalonia was gone. Even now the surface just only being cleared out. "You two, and you come with me," he gestured toward detail and a medic to accompany him. It was protocol, go down with a small team; if you find people, get them and get them to the quarantine center. A center that hadn't seen much use in recent days.
Beneath the makeshift camp was a rampart that led down toward the Corp of Engineers and their vehicles. The machines had stopped on the Captain's orders and would now resume once more on his orders. Stations were supposed to be places of safety in the days before the Fall. Thus they would stop and wait for a small team to inspect. "CAPTAIN AETOS, ARMY I REPEAT THIS IS CAPTAIN AETOS OF THE ARMY!" He shouted and relied on the tunnel's acoustics to carry his voice. "If you can hear me, please respond." He gave a gesture for his team to pause behind the columns. "Repeat, if you can hear me, please respond. We have a medic, and we have supplies on the surface."

Renata Westaway

R
It was faint at first, a ghostlike wail in the silence left by the cessation of whatever machinery was working in the tunnel. Renata didn't know what the scales sounded like from firsthand knowledge. Her only memories from the day of the Sack were explosions and screams and the horrifyingly final sound of rubble filling the tunnel entrances on their heels as they raced for safety. She had only encountered Ssi-Ruuk first-hand after the Sack when she joined scavenging teams, and that was mostly from a distance. She seemed to recall that they communicated in whistles and clicks rather than words, but it had been such a long time that she couldn't swear to it now.

"Stay back," she whispered to her compatriots, and the message raced through the assembled defenders like wildfire as she clambered over the defensive concrete barrier behind which she had been crouched.

"--THE ARMY, ARMY, ARMY!" a voice echoed down the tunnel, somehow making it around the rubble that still blocked the entrance into the tunnel. But there was light was peeking around the edges; whoever was calling out to her was close. The rest of his message came through in the same distorted echo, promising medical aid and supplies. So she was likely dealing with people rather than lizards. That was good to know, but it was only part of the equation. She turned back to the group and pointed at Iain and another man, a former Avalonia police detective by the name of Kallis, silently beckoning them forward.

"Come with me. I'm going to try to get through the old access path and see what we're dealing with." She lifted her walkie-talkie to her mouth. "Cler, Iain is going to keep his channel open. If one of us gives the code word, it's not the right kind of people, and you'll need to blow the charges." She glanced up to where Cler stood on the catwalk above at the rudimentary plunger used to detonate the explosive traps. "Do you understand?"

The weight of having to seal the people in here again just as the prospect of escape bore down on Renata heavily. Perhaps it was the wrong choice, but she felt a responsibility to ensure that these people didn't fall into the wrong hands, and enemies of the First Order were not known for their compassion when it related to civilian casualties. Wasn't it better to live on in this semblance of society until they could find their way out safely than to be captured by pirates or rebels? "Cler," she murmured softly. "Can you do this?"

Cler hesitated, then: "Yes, boss. What's the code word?"

"Let's say... blueberry." With a smirk, Renata turned back to the assembled group and spoke loudly, but without yelling, hoping to avoid giving whoever was in the tunnel any more intelligence than was necessary. "Iain and Kallis and I are going into the tunnel. We're going to see if we can make it through the old access paths; maybe whoever has been digging around has freed them up. We're going to make sure it's safe, and then we'll come back for you." Her voice caught in her throat as she looked over the assembled crowd, faces ranging from hopeful to terrified. "This could be the moment we've been waiting for," she told them. "But nothing is promised. Let's do this smart and do it right. Stay here until we know more. My previous orders stand. Don't fire unless fired upon or unless... let's see," she scanned the crowd for a deputy. "Unless Bridges says so," she said, gesturing towards Marie Bridges, one of the precinct captains in the bunker.

Instructions now given, she gave them one last look before turning and retracing her steps, pulling herself through the shattered subway carriage. Kallis and Iain followed behind. She pulled herself out the other side of the carriage in a small cavern formed by the collapsed tunnel on one side and a derailed carriage on the other. She tried to remember the path, picking through the rubble-strewn tunnel. They came to a dead end, taunted by a bright light coming through the edges of the tunnel. "Give me a hand with this panel," she told her companions. She raised her voice: "We're almost through," she shouted back down the tunnel. "Fair warning: we are armed." The last thing she wanted was to start a shootout when she surprised whoever was on the other side of this rubble with a gun.

Renata and her men managed to shoulder the debris panel to one side, and the tunnel flooded with light, brighter than anything Renata had seen in over four years. She instinctively put her hand up to shield her eyes, but stayed in the tunnel, using the safety panel as cover. "Captain Aetos, was it? Of the Army?" she shouted gruffly, her throat aching from the dust and the shouting. "What army?"

Resurgent Narrative

R
They waited for what seemed to be an eternity, the three men with Aetos grew anxious. "No one's comin' cap, same as the rest." One of them commented, and yet Aetos held his hand up. He wanted silence so he could concentrate on hearing any sort of reply. Aetos's expression shifted he nearly beamed there was a voice, someone had shouted back. "Bloody hell." The same man commented and motioned for his comrade to stand beside him.
Aetos watched as from a small section a woman appeared, "yes ma'am Captain Vir Aetos of the First Order." He looked over his shoulder and shouted down, "dim the lights!" He stepped forward and tucked his blaster behind him, Aetos heard it snap into place along the magnetic harness. "Part of the First Avalonian Division technically speaking, on loan with the Engineers at the moment."
A few other men from the surface came down, most of them were medics as they arrived with repulsor gurneys and other medical equipment. "Apologies for taking so long, we've only recently retaken the planet as a whole." It was the best he could muster under the circumstances followed by, "are there any others? We've got supplies and a transport on the surface."

Renata Westaway

R
Renata felt her body flood with relief when they identified themselves.

The First Order hadn't been defeated after all. Or they had managed to regroup. In any event, it appeared that they were among friends. She emerged from cover, wincing at the lights nearly blinding her one good eye, but a few moments later the lights dimmed, apparently in concession to her discomfort. She blinked a few times to let her eyes adjust. The light was still searingly bright, but she would be able to manage it. She clambered forward with her companions, tucking her blaster into the waistband of her pants as she did. She passed the machines that had made the ruckus in trying to clear out the tunnel and approached Aetos.

"Westaway," she said, touching her chest briefly before gesturing towards her compatriots in turn. "Kallis. Iain. There are a little over two hundred people in the tunnels behind me. Renata didn't acknowledge his apology, nor react to it. She looked past him towards the others on the platform. Four years ago this would have been a bustling underground station. People would be stopping for a coffee at the kiosk there or buying a newspaper at the stand, efficient little transactions that could take place in the moments between high-speed train carriages. The coffee kiosk had been crushed by a falling pillar, the newsstand knocked over in the melee, its papers decayed into a damp sludge thanks to a failed pump system, a sewer rupture, and four years of seasonal rain.

"What's the situation on the surface?" she asked anxiously, her blue-green eye widening as she turned her gaze back to the captain. "You retook the planet -- Dosuun fell?" It was not a surprise, but hearing someone acknowledge the worst fear of everyone in the tunnels was sobering. "We thought it must have, or someone would have come for us." She inclined her head, peering past him towards the stairs that led into the station, but she could see no sunlight. Again her gaze tracked back to Aetos. "I'm -- or I was -- with the Urban-Ecological Division. Director Renata Westaway. I've got a badge -- somewhere." She gestured vaguely towards the tunnels. "I'm sure there will be time for debriefing, but I have to tell you that I was responsible for the safety of the people in those tunnels and I consider myself still responsible for them. So before I have them come out of there, I need to know what's going to happen to us so I can manage their expectations."

In retrospect, she would realize that she had spoken in rather a challenging tone to this officer, although she hadn't meant to. Something had seized her: a fear of the unknown, a terror at letting the people down, and a sense of distrust for the establishment that had let them rot underground for four years. But in the moment, all she felt was an honor-bound obligation to look after her people.

Resurgent Narrative

R
"Director Westaway, a pleasure." Aetos' tone was pleasant enough as he continued to speak. It hadn't past him that she looked at the damage around them, it spoke of the horrors received on that fateful day. "Two hundred?" He had to restrain himself, "alright." Aetos needn't turn to give the order the medic was already up the ramp and informing the rest of the company, for them, it was like the lottery. Life had been found after all this time, she inquired on the situation on the surface afterward.
"Construction, reconstruction," he summed up the surface in two words. "We did, and yes it did and the First Order went with it. Warlords, and tentpole governments put up by the likes of the Sith Empire." It was clear he was not a fan of the latter. One of the runners handed him a tablet as he began to record the information she had given him earlier. "UED, Director."
Aetos lifted his head when her tone changed, he placed his hands over one another datapad held tightly. "I respect that." He began his answer and continued matter-of-factly. "Quarantine and reeducation, check you guys out medically and get any necessary treatment going then bring you all up to date as we're..." Aetos checked his chrono. "In late 860, you guys will need to be brought up to speed and then after that, I believe there's a transition program. The government will pay for temporary housing and give you guys a subsidy to live on until you get yourselves situated."
"So that is exactly what will happen to you and the two hundred people under your watch." He added a smile for the charm. "Right now though we're gonna want to get the preliminary stuff out of the way, basic check-ups, and probably a nice warm bath." The men behind him continued to scurry around to get things set up.

Renata Westaway

R
Renata was torn.

A hot bath sounded good. Really good. They had been using recycled and processed water for baths since the sewer system collapsed just a few weeks after they entered the sanctuary of the underground tunnels, and the communal showers had been set to three-minute timers to ensure that it would last longer. It had been a deeply unenjoyable experience, but sacrifices had to be made.

But she didn't like the sound of reeducation. The process, as Renata understood it, had been typically reserved for dissidents and criminals before the fall. As far as she was concerned, the people in the tunnels behind her were neither and deserved no harsh treatment. The doctor frowned and glanced at Kallis, then Iain, trying to gauge their thoughts on the subject. Kallis' eyebrows raised and he nodded, while Iain did a bizarre neck roll that Renata had come to learn over the years communicated the equivalent of a shrug. Renata turned back to Aetos. "Any chance of getting the rest of the rubble out of the way? It will take hours to get everyone through the gap we came through, and some of them are injured or disabled and won't be able to make it through."

When everything had been settled, Dr. Westaway retraced her steps, marching back through the tunnel, crawling through the tunnels where necessary until she emerged back into the cavern where her people had gathered -- and their numbers had grown in the several minutes she had been outside as the word spread. They were shattering among themselves until they saw her clamber out of the crushed carriage, and then a hush fell over the crowd in waves, and they surged forward. She allowed a cautious smile to cross her features. "Listen up, everyone," she called, raising her hands to stop those whose conversations were lingering. When they fell silent, she went on: "I've just spoken to Captain Aetos of the First Order army." There was a collective reaction, combination relieved sigh and patriotic cheer. When it quieted down, she went on: "I don't have all the details, but it sounds like much has changed since we went underground. We'll get a clearer picture when we get out of quarantine and... re-acclimation," she concluded diplomatically. "The government will look after us until we get on our feet, but before all that, we will be kept in quarantine as a routine precaution. We'll all be seen by medical staff -- who will no doubt admire your constitutions."

It was a point of personal pride to Renata that no one had died of starvation under her watch.

"I don't think this is optional. They will quarantine us and do whatever else is required to reintegrate us back into the surface society. But I'm going to be with you every step of the way. I will do whatever I need to do and whatever I can to ensure we're treated well. You've earned that for surviving this long in this dungeon," said Renata. "So -- go and collect whatever you can't live without; sentimental objects and necessities only, we can probably leave spare clothes and whatnot behind. Let's group by precinct; find your precinct captains, and captains, take a headcount. Anyone injured or ill, check in with your precinct captains first and then report to Cler; she'll coordinate any medical needs while we wait to get dug out of here. Not long now, everyone," she concluded.

Renata once again trecked through the tunnel and found Aetos with Kallis and Iain. "My people are organizing. How long will it take to get the tunnel cleared?"

Resurgent Narrative

R
Aetos watched Westaway's features, he studied her a moment and he could see as it showed on her face that she was torn about what he had presented to her. When she asked about the rubble he only smirked and gave a few hand signals to the men behind him. "Can do," Aetos told the director. He watched her disappear through the tunnels and waited. In the meantime, he brought up the machines to aid in removing the rubble the sounds of machines working to remove the rubble could be both seen and heard by the time Westaway came back up.
"Not long, we'll be punching a hole here once we get the supports up." He gestured toward the gap as engineers gathered beams and moved them into place. "Make sure your folks stay back, while we want and hope the rubble falls away from them, we've got no guarantee."
Engineers with their scanners and tablets worked on calculating a precise way to take the wall down to avoid hurting anyone on either side in the process. "We've got people on the surface getting ready with the transports, a warm meal and uh, sunglasses." Aetos then folded his arms as he waited for his team to finish up their work. A few more minutes passed by and they gave the signal, "looks like their ready, and whenever you're ready I'll be down here." He gestured toward a barricade behind the equipment.
A combination of controlled detonations and hammers worked to widen the gap and beams immediately went into place to hold up the massive amount of weight that would have otherwise come down. Additional pylons were constructed on sight and brought in to make sure that it wouldn't come dropping down as the team moved through the tunnel to continue their operations. Captain Aetos would turn to Westaway and handed her a pair of sunglasses. "I'll be up top, Lieutenant Rajavade here will be your escort along with a fine group of Avalonia's finest."
On the surface, a virtual tent city had been erected, medical personnel, logistics, supplies, and modified transports had been brought in. Stations were clearly labeled hygiene, food, medical, supplies, and registration. Aetos stood somewhere in a group of people beside the ramp, giving them instructions. Beside the ramp stood an Echani wearing a pair of scrubs, beside her a few of her fellow Avalonians as they erected a wall of fabric to help absorb some of the sunlight.

Renata Westaway

R
Renata took the sunglasses from Aetos and examined them for a moment before watching him retreat back up to the surface.

Slowly but steadily, the people of Garden Street Station emerged. For the vast majority of them, it was the first time they were seeing natural light in over four years. Dr. Westaway kept track, ensuring that each precinct was accounted for, and each member of the precinct accounted for, with Cler bringing up the rear with the young, the elderly, and the injured. Renata ticked the last name off her list of residents and looked back down into the darkness. Her fingers clenched tightly around her clipboard and pencil, then she sighed and gave one last nod before turning back and turned back to Lieutenant Rajavade.

"All present and correct," Renata informed him gruffly, handing over the clipboard. "Over the last four years or so, twenty-seven people died. They're listed in that row," she pointed, "with the cause of death notated for each. Most were injuries sustained during raids on Ssi-Ruuk territories or the result of a bacterial infection in year two, but at any rate, you'll find the reasons there. An additional twelve people went missing, primarily during raids outside the bunker, but they're notated correctly." She paused. "The bodies were buried in the incomplete southeastern tunnel, if you're interested." The doctor frowned and gave another look over her shoulder. "I guess I'd better... go up."

She put her sunglasses on and followed the trail that the rest of her people had already taken. She emerged into the diffused sunlight, her one good eye squinting even against the light. She saw Aetos standing near the head of the ramp. She lowered the rim of her glasses to fix Aetos with an intent blue-green stare. "I would like a pack of cigarettes, access to a computer, and a hot shower. Not necessarily in that order. How do I get them?"

Resurgent Narrative

R
Captain Aetos smiled and watched as the people of Garden Street Station emerged, and one by one they were welcomed to the surface of Dosuun. It had been a long time, and their presence gave people a cause for celebration. They represented hope, hope that what was once lost was now found once more. Lieutenant Rajavade politely collected the clipboard and pencil he listened to Director Westaway as she mentioned the dead and missing. He nodded with acknowledgment, "we very much are, thank you. They shall not be forgotten." Rajavade remarked and gave a solemn nod toward the Director as she headed up the ramp.
Aetos approached Westaway and watched as she lowered the rim and fixed her stare upon him with great intent. "Showers, are this way - these lovely young women down that way can get you a datapad, and as for the cigarettes." The Captain reached in his uniform and withdrew a silver case, he opened it up and offered it up to the Director. "Cigars, cigarettes you may have your pick," personally he didn't smoke but on occasion and this was certainly an occasion. "You can have one now, and later I'll see about getting you one of these fancy little cases."
"Whenever you're ready, come find me. We're still waiting on adequate transport to get you guys back to the city, but hopefully, it'll be here by the time you're all done getting cleaned up and refreshed." Aetos informed Westaway as the fabric walls had finally been raised completely to dim the sunlight as it passed through the camp.

Renata Westaway

R
Renata's eyes darted down to the cigarette case, then back up to Aetos' face. For the first time, she smiled, the corners of her eyes crinkling in genuine pleasure. "Thank you very much," she said, her gravelly voice apparently touched with gratitude. She examined the selection and then took a cigarette, careful not to touch the others, and drew a book of matches from her utility belt to light it. She shook the match out once it had done its job and flicked it back into the rubble. She took a drag of the cigarette, closing her eyes, clearly luxuriating in the sensation. It had been a long, long time since she had had a cigarette; although she had tried to ration her limited supply, she had smoked her last cigarette some eighteen months earlier. Perhaps it was that she had been forced to give it up that made it so that she was still gripped by cravings.

She exhaled slowly, turning to one side to avoid blowing smoke in Aetos' face. Something he said tugged at her attention, but she was so distracted by her cigarette that it took her a moment to react. "Back to the -- " Her voice fell off. "How -- " She turned, eyes casting over their surroundings. Probably best that the group be exposed to their new reality by degrees. The same was true for her. She finished her cigarette in a thoughtful silence and in record time, and after stamping it beneath her heeled boot, she realized she had not finished her questions to Aetos. An apologetic, embarrassed look crossed her face. "Sorry. I think I'll have that shower now."

But it wasn't to be -- not immediately, anyway. Her people were waiting for her, somewhat standoffish. They looked to her as she came into the enclosure. Renata wasn't sure what they were looking at her for, or even at first whether they were. She looked over her shoulder to make sure, but no -- it was just her. She envisioned her role as their leader as being... over. More or less, at any rate. She felt responsible for them and would advocate their interests, but if the First Order was in command here, her authority wasn't just limited -- it was gone, entirely. "Let's just... get on with this, hm? What do you need from us?"

It was an hour before she emerged from the shower, scrubbed pink and hair somehow, by magic, unfrizzed. She was clean, her blonde hair golden again, nary a trace of dirt or grime anywhere. The only problem was that her clothes were gone. She poked her head around the corner of the shower, looking around for her things. Nothing. Next to where she had placed her clothes on a bench was a stack of white cloth. A towel, which she used to towel off, sat atop a pair of what looked like First Order medical personnel uniforms, but without rank insignia. A pair of underwear in roughly her size. An adjustable bra. Socks. Shoes. All white.

No eyepatch.

She got dressed, tied her shoes, and brushed her hair and teeth in the mirror, then emerged, feeling quite self-conscious. She had hidden her wounded eye for the last years so people wouldn't look at her and see a monster or a cripple, to be feared or pitied. Still, there was nothing to do about it now. It was time to get going, move forward, and roll up her sleeves. Renata went out in search of Aetos, and reported that she was ready for the next steps.

Resurgent Narrative

R
Aetos gave the Director a smile of reassurance. He passed no judgment as the woman got her bearings. It was a lot to take in all at once. Avalonia's reconstruction, Aetos hoped at least, was just the beginning of the First Order's resurgence. Patiently he waited and went about his duties, there was a lot to organize and the transports had only just arrived by the time the Director reappeared.
"Right now? Nothing. Enjoy the shower."
Clothing had been collected, labeled and packed into crates for transport. An Echani nurse tapped Aetos on the shoulder and motioned toward the Director. Years of dirt, grime and whatever else had been left to collect had been washed away. "You look like a new person, if, you don't mind my saying."
"Transports have arrived, we did a little modification for you and your folks. A small solar canvas should help keep the light from being that bad, and... as for your other question." Captain Aetos drew in a breath and exhaled. "A lot of money was pumped into Avalonia by several benefactors from what I hear, most of them former First Imperials themselves."
"Though, I'm not sure who, command doesn't tell us that - most of it was just a sort of, shut up and be happy kinda deal. You didn't hear that from me, though."
Rajavade could be seen on an approach from where the transports were parked. Aeto's attention was momentarily taken away from Westaway. "We're ready to go sir."
"Excellent, Lieutenant, let's get medical onboard as well."
"Director, we'll have medical personnel aboard each transport, and we're having your belongings and the others transported as well. I presume that they're going to get with you one on one to determine what happens to these items, but that's not my department - sadly." A softer smile from the Captain as he was offered a datapad from the Lieutenant who then promptly headed back for the transports. "Nurse Ennon here will be with you, and so will Lieutenant Rajavade. So if during the ride you have any concerns or questions they'll be happy to answer them for you."
"I'll see you in Avalonia, Director Westaway," Aetos gave a respectful nod and salute before departing the Director's company to complete his rounds.

Lieutenant Rajavade awaited by the transports, and Nurse Ennon only smiled politely and bowed with respect toward the Director. "I am ready when you are Director." She gestured toward the trucks that awaited them, ramps down and ready for embarkment were soldiers of the army.

Renata Westaway

R
"I feel like a whole new woman," Renata replied, though it wasn't clear from her gravelly voice whether she was being gruff or dryly humorous. "Thank you for your help, Captain Aetos." This, at least, was clearly heartfelt. "I'll be sure to request that a note is placed in your permanent file detailing how helpful you've been to me and my people." She nodded him off, watching him leave to return to his duties, then turned to Nurse Ennon.

"Let me check in with my people," Renata said. "If we're all ready, we can get moving."

The doctor did rounds through the tents, checking in with precinct captains and confirming that the people were ready to move. Clad in similar uniforms and cleaned up, Renata barely recognized some of the people she saw. But the precinct captains did their thing, organizing the headcount and marshaling them to proceed towards the transports. As usual, Renata Westaway brought up the rear, only boarding the transports when everyone else who could travel had done so.

Resurgent Narrative

R
Nurse Ennon was polite and dutiful, she waited for Director Westaway to conduct her inspections and organize the people under her care. It was not an easy transition she imagined, going from living in the tunnels to being above ground. So much had changed from when they first sought the safety of those walls. Ennon could relate, the decimation of Eshan at the hands of the Mandalorians brought a lot of change, grief, and anger. Dosuun offered a fresh start, a place that - like her people, needed to be healed. Ennon took up a seat beside the Director and gave the signal to the transport's driver.
A small jolt as the engine seemed to bark to life before it set off down the road. Lieutenant Rajavade wasn't too far from either of them, but he seemed rather occupied by his work, documentation most likely, Ennon gathered. Avalonia's skyline had changed from when the Nurse first arrived on the world, "everyday something new is finished, and I learn just a little bit more about this city." She mentioned as a conversation starter to the Director. The transports moved through what was now considered the countryside, where smaller wheel-based speeders much like the one they rode passed through. Crops, livestock, and small village markets dotted the landscape, just as the city's silhouette faded into view a juxtaposition of the two very different Dosuuns.
Word somehow must have spread of Westaway's recovery, as they drew closer people gathered - they cheered. They shouted words of encouragement, words of pride, "blessings from her worship! Long live the Order! The Grand Moff is truly with us!" It was not Ennon's place to decide religion, but she found it somewhat concerning that a mortal woman was now worshipped. Although, she could at the very least the appeal of it - after all, if you have nothing to believe in - then can you truly be alive? A sign nearby noted that they were now entering the county of Fortanshire, and a short time afterward a large sign that read, 'Welcome to Avalonia.'

Renata Westaway

R
"The last time I saw the daylit sky -- oh, probably around two years ago now," Renata said to Nurse Ennon in response as she stared out the window at -- well, all of it -- the impossibly blue sky, the rolling hills, the approaching city. "It was brown. Not like a thunderstorm, where it gets dark in the middle of the day. It was like... like the planet was still on fire. A pyre, spanning the entire planet, with ash and dirt and death all around. We were so thankful for our little safe corner. It wasn't much, but it was safe. The Scales hadn't found a way in -- yet -- and we had stopped regular supply runs except at night. The city was in ruins. It is..." She inhaled deeply and continued to stare out the window hard as unshed tears prickled in her eyes. She refused to give in to them. "...remarkable," she finally said, her voice threatening to crack.

It was a few moments before the woman was able to speak again. She turned back to the nurse, composed and collected, and fixed her one good eye on her. "That's not an Avalonian accent, is it? Not even Dosuun, if I remember right. May I ask -- where are you from? What brought you to Dosuun?"

She needed the distraction -- from the shock of Avalonia's altered skyline, from the murmurs of surprise, of excitement, of sorrow and grief and anger of some of her people. They would all need time to process what was happening, but here, in front of strangers, wasn't the right time for Renata. Hold it together, she willed her comrades and herself silently.

Resurgent Narrative

R
"Oh," Ennon seemed surprised but not so much that she couldn't answer a question, "it is obvious then." As if being Echani wasn't the dead give away, the younger woman gave a nod of respect and then answered. "I am from Eshan, it was my homeworld." She paused a moment to try to find the best way to explain the events, but found that perhaps being blunt worked best on Dosuun. "It was devastated by orbital bombardments at the hands of Mandalorians, that tore through planet, my people... we, we fled, the Confederacy helped us but we were lost."
"Our ship was hit somewhere in transit, it happened that we found a beacon out near Halm. It was an old, old First Order beacon but we followed it and some of the others that still worked." Ennon's voice never once faltered, but then Echani scarcely revealed their emotions. "It wasn't long before we found Dosuun, and as our home, it too had been grievously wounded but the people here welcomed us. Offered aid, and we in turn offered our support to help push back the... Scales as you called them."
It was not easy to settle, transition, and fight for land but thus far, "and while we were not in the best of shape, we fought alongside the people here and soon came to see them among our own, and they saw us as their own." Nor had the Echani been the first or the last refugee group to arrive on Dosuun.

Renata Westaway

R
Renata flushed; of course, now looking at the woman she was Echani. "Sorry," she said. "After years in the tunnels I'm used to people looking pale, and these sunglasses they gave us don't do my color perception any favors," Renata concluded, turning her gaze fully back to the Echani. "That sounds dreadful," said Westaway bluntly, her jaw setting firmly. "Now you've had to experience that kind of destruction not just on your homeworld but here, too." Renata's gloved hand reached out and came to rest on the Echani woman's sleeved forearm, instinctively seeking to comfort. It wasn't until a moment later that Renata realized this might be considered inappropriate -- perhaps even offensive -- to some.

"Sorry," Renata said again. "Thank you -- for your help. For being part of this. My people won't soon forget the help you gave us. I won't, either." Director Westaway took a shaky breath, steadying herself internally. "If, when everything is settled, there's anything I can do for you -- any aid I can offer or service I can render -- please find me. I have a feeling I'll be handing out a lot of IOUs today."

Resurgent Narrative

R
Ennon gave a warm smile, "you have been through a lot, to have survived so long in darkness and emerge into the light - is not an easy task." She stopped and looked over her shoulder as the transport turned and Avalonia's skyline welcomed them. "You are most welcome, and please, only remember today and what it felt like. There are so many others both here on Dosuun and in the galaxy that have yet to know the feeling you have come to know today." She gave the Director a reassuring smile when she placed her gloved hand on her sleeve.
Avalonia had changed a lot since the Fall. Statues of Natasi Fortan, gardens, parks and for all intent and purposes it was a whole new world. "We will be arriving soon, you will be in good hands. Dr. Desai is one of the best in Avalonia." Dr. Desai was such a foreign name Ennon realized a moment later, "oh Dr. Cyantra Desai is one of the top GPs, she used to be in um, FIMS, right? Yes, she lived in Prosperia when the Fall happened and now she lives here." Echani and words didn't always work well but Ennon often gave it a try, "you will like her I think."
The transports weaved their way through the city before signs that read 'Avalonian Medical Center' began to make their appearance. By that time they had passed the Historical District, Victory Park, and were crossing Memorial Circle as they turned down toward the medical center. A flash of blue and red lights atop black and white marked speeders, "oh, the Constabulary. I wondered if they were going to escort us." She commented as the medical center drew closer and closer.
When they arrived, Ennon was among the first to disembark. Dr. Cyantra Desai, Dr. Vyala Benitez along with at least a dozen nurses greeted the transports. The nurses were as diverse as Avalonia itself, Echani, Chiss, Zelosian, and a Mirialan or two were among the mix of humans that helped Renata and her people off the transports and into the hospital, on gurneys if necessary. The quarantine or reeducation center that Aetos had mentioned earlier had been a few floors of the hospital put on reserve for Renata Westaway and her people. As nurses and doctors tended to them, social workers began to arrive - as did intelligence agents who wanted to learn more about the so-called 'mole people.'

Renata Westaway

R
Renata smiled at the Echani nurse. "Thank you, Nurse Ennon, for all your help and everything you've done for me and my people. I won't forget it." She straightened her back and stepped off the shuttle, hanging off to one side as she oversaw the processing of her people. She exchanged words of encouragement and reassurance with them as they were helped, and stayed until the last few were trundled off in wheelchairs and gurneys before allowing herself to be escorted into the center.

She was shown to her room and was pleased to find that she, at last, had some privacy and space for herself. One bed, small table and chair, private bathroom, writing desk with built-in data terminal, holoprojector in the ceiling. She was sure that she would still be surveilled here, but it would be nice to have some space where she could stretch out. As she was checked in and had each feature of the room explained, she sank into the soft window seat. The doctor asked whether she had any questions. Renata had many, but she was tired, so she demurred for now.

"I'd like to rest, if that's possible, before the debriefing," Renata said. The staff agreed and Renata climbed into the bed. Surrounded by the smell of clean linens and the muted light of the Avalonia sky streaming through the windows, diffused by the gauzy curtains. She slept and, for the first time in years, dreamed of nothing.

Fin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom