Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Iosian

Status
Not open for further replies.
NoAlrTk.png
Type I Atmospheres
wrrViSj.png
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To create an atypical, complex species with motivations fundamentally mysterious to most PCs.
  • Image Credit: Star Trek Online Concept Art
  • Canon: /
  • Permissions: /
  • Links: /
GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Name: Iosian
  • Designation: Sentient
  • Origins: Ios
  • Average Lifespan:
    • Physical: 6-8 months
    • Conscious: 300+ (at the end of each natural lifespan, an Iosian 'uploads' their consciousness to the next generation as long as they are within range of a telepathic relay)
  • Estimated Population: Inter-Planetary
  • Description: A crystalline, quadruped species with an outer carapace through which murky fluid can be seen circulating. They possess mantis-like heads with two triangular eyes. Direct contact with an Iosian without the use of an environmental suit is extremely rare, as their internal body temperature is considerably higher than the average humanoid's by several hundred degrees.
PHYSICAL INFORMATION
  • Breathes: Type IV (anaerobic respiration with a methane-chlorine mixture)
  • Average Height of Adults: 1.8 meters
  • Average Length of Adults: 1.5 meters
  • Skin Color: Each one unique
  • Hair Color: None
  • Distinctions: Unisex, extremely difficult to differentiate for other species without training/education. Though they possess seemingly infinite nuance in their carapace color schemes, there is also a certain degree of uniformity seemingly based on both societal caste and castemoot.
  • Races: While it is unclear if Iosians possess true racial offshoots in the way many humanoid species do, there are marked differences in Iosians based on their caste system, which is seemingly biologically determined.
  • Force Sensitivity: All
CULTURE
  • Diet: The Iosians' native atmosphere provides them with their nutritional needs although the precise method of action remains unknown.
  • Communication: The Iosian language is, in some ways, not a true language at all. It is a system the species developed composed of a series of high-pitched squeaks and clicks distinct enough to be translatable into words and phrases by carbon based life, and is not used internally though it is contained in each Iosian's instinctual memory. Among themselves, the primary method of communication is through the Castemoot, partitioned segments of Iosian society based on caste, geographic location, and perhaps other less comprehensible criteria. These castemoots serve as a form of lobbying body within the Lattice, each given proportional sway based on caste status (with the political caste holding the most power) and perhaps also proximity to Ios.
  • Technology Level: Advanced spacefaring, slightly better than the galactic average but often through an independent development process. Most Iosian technology is incompatible with those of other species without significant modification.
  • Religion/Beliefs: Like many species throughout the galaxy, Iosian spirituality is closely tied to the Force. And yet, religion is perhaps not the most accurate term, as across the species there is a certainty that seems to go beyond mere faith. While a non literal translation is also possible, the Iosians claim to be able to 'see' or somehow literally perceive the Force, and indeed have proven to be acutely perceptive when in the presence of Force users. Not only that, but the species believes also that the energy field plays some critical role in maintaining the Lattice that sustains their telepathic networks. Although independent study has yet to determine the veracity of these claims, the concept is so core to their culture that the species will actually move colony populations to account for astronomical phenomenon and shifting star systems, which they claim causes changes in the positions of the lines of power where this beneficial effect is apparently the strongest.
  • General Behavior: The uncommon nature of the species and their evolutionary origins leads to behavioral characteristics across the race that borders on the incomprehensible. With a significantly shorter physical span than most other higher life forms, an Iosian spends a large portion of their lifetime immersed in the Lattice. Due to their physiology and the lack of ease of mobility on their homeworld, the species is not known for excessive movement, conserving physical energy for only the most important of occasions.
Iosian culture relies heavily on a rigid caste system, although these distinctions are much more physiological than most humanoid parallels. Individual Iosians are bred for specific societal functions, and there is some speculation that they modify their young at birth to perform more specialized duties upon reaching adulthood. The known Iosian castes are Ruling, Political, Warrior, Worker, and Science. There have also been accounts of what seems to be an Iosian Religious/Spiritual caste which plays some role in maintaining intercaste harmony and the species' latent Force sensitivity.​

STRENGTHS
  • Telepathic Network: The Iosians possess a form of networked intelligence in addition to their sentience as individuals. Not a true hive mind, each Iosian is capable of choosing with whom they wish to share their memories, communicating across a number of telepathically linked networks known as Castemoots.
  • The Lattice: The Iosian term for a telepathic field that connects each member of their species, it is a kind of shared memory archive that contains general species specific knowledge and history. Operating on an instinctual level each Iosian is born into a given caste based on the specific needs of their society.
WEAKNESSES
  • Susceptible Physiology: Not only do the Iosians require extremely high environmental temperatures to maintain their equilibrium, but their crystalline carapace is somewhat more vulnerable than the average carbon based exoskeleton. If an Iosian's environmental suit were to be pierced by blaster fire, or one were modified to be fired in Iosian atmosphere, a single shot or two would likely be enough to fatally wound, the fluid medium contained within their outer structure critical to maintaining their metabolic processes.
  • Alien Psychology: Operating at times on an entirely different level of consciousness than the average humanoid, any interaction with an Iosian is bound to be fundamentally unpredictable. As one of the few silicon based higher lifeforms to emerge as space faring entities in the galaxy, differences in the way the species thinks often leave them prone to misunderstanding. Because of this history, most Iosians can be aggressive towards carbon life if they perceive that they are in some way threatened.
HISTORICAL INFORMATION

A reclusive and mysterious race, the Iosian Assembly is a small interplanetary hermit empire that controls a remote star cluster at the tip of the galaxy's southernmost spiral arm. Contact between Iosians and civilized space has been extremely rare and for the most part unproductive. Dozens of first contact missions have ended in abject failure, some resulting in the deaths of entire expeditions at the hands of Iosian warships.

It is only recently with the help of the OPA's Council of the Living Force have psychically trained diplomats gained insight into the role of Iosian castemoots and developed a crude means of verbal communication with these strange alien creatures. Even now, misunderstandings are commonplace, and many scientists believe that the Iosian mind simply operates based on different fundamental principles.

Their sense of morality seems to be nebulous, for while the Assembly is not wantonly aggressive it has been known to wage war seemingly without cause, displacing or enslaving the populations of entire star systems and even beginning the long process of terraforming several worlds to sustain silicon based life. Limited dialogue with the Assembly over the past few centuries seems to suggest that these are considered to be holy crusades, based entirely on what the Iosians describe as the shifting lattice of their empire.

Last edited:
Atlas Drake Atlas Drake

Hey, it's me again! I'm going to be working with you through the review and approval process. Hopefully this ends up being a quick and painless approval and we can get you the species approved that you desire. Without further ado, let's dive into it

Average Lifespan:
  • Physical: 6-8 months
  • Conscious: 300+ (at the end of each natural lifespan, an Iosian 'uploads' their consciousness to the next generation)
Does anything special have to happen in order for the "upload to occur?

The Lattice: The Iosian term for a telepathic field that connects each member of their species even across vast distances, it is a kind of shared memory archive that contains general species specific knowledge and history. Operating on an instinctual level each Iosian is born into a given caste based on the specific needs of their society.
Anyway you can expand on these "vast distances"? Like, how far does vast entail? Across a planet? Further?

Next, this species sub is really reminding of Rakata, which is a no-go here. Wookieepedia says this regarding the Rakata:
The Rakata used their potent Force-powered technologies to conquer and enslave every other species they came across throughout their known galaxy. During the reign of their Infinite Empire, they were characterized by their cruelty, savagery, and arrogance. They were known to strip entire planets of their resources, terraform worlds to fit their own shifting needs; to kill entire slave workforces; and to eat and defile the bodies of slain enemies and even members of their own species.
A good portion of this sub and the behavior and actions of the Iosians, seems very, very close to this.

Atlas Drake Atlas Drake

Does anything special have to happen in order for the "upload to occur?

That's an interesting question and not something I had originally thought about. Let's say its a bit like the Cylons. Uploading requires proximity to a nearby Iosian world or ship with the infrastructure to handle a stored consciousness.

Atlas Drake Atlas Drake

Anyway you can expand on these "vast distances"? Like, how far does vast entail? Across a planet? Further?

That is a relic of our previous discussions regarding their homeworld's force nexus. I have deleted any references to its outdated role as a catalyst for the telepathic field. Psychic communication is now a purely physiological component and their limitations should be considered similar to other Star Wars species with innate telepathy.

Atlas Drake Atlas Drake

A good portion of this sub and the behavior and actions of the Iosians, seems very, very close to this.

I was given to understand that the Rakatans were restricted/banned because of the issues with their technology and how over the top it can be, not their cultural motivations as religious crusaders. The Iosians will always be restricted geographically because they only attempt to take over worlds that they believe are 'touched by the Lattice', and that doesn't extend beyond a few sectors certainly not outside the South Arm. I realize now I may not have made that part clear in the submission.

If their advanced technology is a problem I would be alright with reducing it to comparable but I'm not sure what your exact question is here or how to solve it. The Rakatans were not on my mind when writing this up but anything more I can do to reduce the similarities that you are seeing please let me know.

Atlas Drake Atlas Drake
That's an interesting question and not something I had originally thought about. Let's say its a bit like the Cylons. Uploading requires proximity to a nearby Iosian world or ship with the infrastructure to handle a stored consciousness.
Awesome! Can we add this information into the sub itself so that any confusion is cleared up from the beginning? I'd also suggest adding the need to be in a certain proximity for this "upload" to occur as a weakness for this species

That is a relic of our previous discussions regarding their homeworld's force nexus. I have deleted any references to its outdated role as a catalyst for the telepathic field. Psychic communication is now a purely physiological component and their limitations should be considered similar to other Star Wars species with innate telepathy.
I realize this, but just wanted to ensure we're continuing to track any changes being made. Thanks for updating this information.

I was given to understand that the Rakatans were restricted/banned because of the issues with their technology and how over the top it can be, not their cultural motivations as religious crusaders. The Iosians will always be restricted geographically because they only attempt to take over worlds that they believe are 'touched by the Lattice', and that doesn't extend beyond a few sectors certainly not outside the South Arm. I realize now I may not have made that part clear in the submission.

If their advanced technology is a problem I would be alright with reducing it to comparable but I'm not sure what your exact question is here or how to solve it. The Rakatans were not on my mind when writing this up but anything more I can do to reduce the similarities that you are seeing please let me know.
Regarding this, it's fine to share certain cultural similarities with the Rakata, but where we run into issues is the intent to completely teraform planets, which in many cases can be viewed as destroying the planet if it's being stripped for resources as the Rakata did in the days of the Infinite Empire.

Luca Donskoi Luca Donskoi

I have made a slight edit expanding on the upload process' limitations.

Regarding the Rakata comparison, ah yes of course. Thank you for elaborating that makes a lot of sense. I confess that when thinking purely about altering atmosphere grades and the lack of canon neighbor systems it did not occur to me. I have dramatically scaled back their terraforming capabilities, indicating the process is a long one that has only just begun on a few unnamed worlds so it shouldn't come into play on our timeline.

Luca Donskoi Luca Donskoi | Atlas Drake Atlas Drake

Nice work boys! Just a few minor things - Mostly just bookkeeping items.

1.) Homeworld: The template's base fields are not to be changed/removed/altered with the exception of a Force Nexus per the Codex Rules. This field should state Origins.

2.) Language: Iosian language (unpronounceable) - It is fine to keep this field here if you wish, as you are able to add any fields needed, but it's usually included under communication. I just wasn't sure if you knew it was listed twice.

3.) Force Sensitivity - I see that some changes have taken place and wanted to swing by the rules about species that are entirely force-sensitive. I know that telepathy is more physiological, but, it doesn't really state to the degree in which being an FU affects them aside from occasional visions. Do they gain any other passive abilities?

Completely Force-sensitive species may not start off with fully developed Force Powers. That is a matter of the individual, not the race. They are born force sensitive, but that is a potential, rather than an absolute. All Force-sensitive species may have passive abilities that do not require training (improved reflexes, low grade pre-cog, etc), but are prohibited from having active abilities (force lightning, telekinesis, etc). Exceptions are made for artificially engineered species (Sithspawn, etc), if they have been tailored for specific abilities. Racial abilities that are not affiliated with the Force (Ex. Zeltron Empathy/Pheromones) are exempted from this. These species should include appropriate weaknesses, such as difficulties with Force Null fields.

Srina Talon Srina Talon

Sorry about the formatting issues. This has been revised through several template editions, thought I got all the fragments but apparently not.

Regarding the question of Force Sensitivity. I believe I was a bit inarticulate in my explanation to Alden. I used the word physiological when I should have said innate. That is, the telepathy is still Force based as a component of their universal sensitivity but it is not driven by the nexus or able to do anything super extraordinary like long range communication which I believe was our sticking point earlier. In addition I'm not sure where exactly in which submission but I believe I've made reference to the Iosians belief that they are connected to a Force based 'lattice' that determines the boundaries of their empire. Its deliberately vague whether this lattice is what they believe it is but the intention is that they are definitely feeling something, probably a vibrational frequency interacting with their psychic field that shifts with astronomical drift. Also the nexus' role in their form of selective breeding is Forcey in nature.

Other than that they can't do anything fancy.

Edit: No wait I lied sorry parts of this I wrote a long time ago under the religion section I mention they claim to be able to 'see' the Force in people and places so a basic sense aura passive ability as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom