Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Invasion Draws

Valdus Bral

️ Clan Bral Alor ️| Warlord of Nellogant
If the hex goes neutral the defending faction still loses the hex. The invading faction has put nothing on the line to invade a faction and when the invaders lose, they lose nothing. You can argue time and effort, but it's not like the defenders sit back and somehow the invasion writes both halves automatically. So when a tie happens, which it is rare that it does, the fact that it remains with the defending faction balances out how safe declaring invasions are right now. Again, invaders put nothing on the line and have everything to gain.

Valdus Bral said:
If the hex goes neutral the defending faction still loses the hex. The invading faction has put nothing on the line to invade a faction and when the invaders lose, they lose nothing. You can argue time and effort, but it's not like the defenders sit back and somehow the invasion writes both halves automatically. So when a tie happens, which it is rare that it does, the fact that it remains with the defending faction balances out how safe declaring invasions are right now. Again, invaders put nothing on the line and have everything to gain.
Honestly, I have to agree. Rather than the hex go neutral, it be more interesting to see some follow up confrontation. Back to back invasions would be draining, but maybe the factions can discuss a series of space/planetside skirmishes?

Due to the draw, the invaders still have some push into the system but not enough to outright take it. The factions then come to an agreement on dates for small skirmishes. I guess it be like mini invasions at that point, but the participation is much lower so the staff and writers have less strain? It doesn't solve the fact invaders really have nothing on the line outside of their time, but at least there might be potential narrative.

Edit: Putting a few more thoughts into it, maybe the two factions get a break for 1-2 weeks while the faction staff plan three skirms. Best two out of three, winner take all. The factions can pit their best against one another in space fleeting, unit command and good old duels. No possibility for draws in the judging of the skirms. They would be things like 5v5s, little bigger or smaller doesn't matter. Gives people the option of being involved but it isn't necessity due to the lower numbers.

Skirmishes always fizzle out, and tying them to hex control takes away from their intended purpose.

While I'm not too sure on how the map coding works, but if it's possible - why not just split the hex between both factions? Obvs only if the result is a draw, and they're bordering the contested hex.

How draws work will not fundamentally change. Those saying they are “flawed” or “wrong” are expressing their opinion. I nor Staff nor many others share this opinion.

What I am curious about is the rate in which they have occurred recently, and if new changes to the judgement criteria/victory conditions have caused a fluctuation in how often they occur.

I know this is getting kicked up to staff, buuuut... of course I want to say something anyway. Being honest right?

So I don’t see why the hex needs to go neutral. A draw should go to the defender because it is an essential stalemate. Why should a defending faction be punished for writing well enough to keep from losing, or get punished because another faction could not out write them? Making the hex neutral is kinda like a participation trophy..: sorry your best wasn’t good enough, but here is something for your effort anyway... and we got the other faction to pay for it...

The fair way out of this... an odd number of categories and eliminate draws altogether. If you don’t want to do that then no need for a rule change...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom