Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LFG Interest Check - Academy Faction?

I've pitched this idea few times but there is never a ton of interest. I figured I would try again and see if times have changed. If not that's cool.

My idea a Jedi Academy style faction where students come to live and attend classes and trials. I'm toying with the idea of offering both studies in light Jedi but also dark Jedi too. It could be a general force user style academy too I suppose but the idea is that older more advanced force users could come teach a class and students could learn. Traditional school hi jinks could ensue as well.

Let me know thoughts. I don't really see this is a major map game faction but more of a minor fun faction.

I think the difficulty with the idea is that classroom-type RP is kind of difficult on a forum RP site. One-on-one can work fine, but in larger groups, it's easy for a thread to stall whenever one person stops posting, or it just takes 2-3 weeks for one class that teaches one thing to finish. It's why I think most do their Jedi learning in factions like RTL and GA by more of a combination of learning and experience in the field.

There are occasional classes, but most of what the Padawan characters learn is during missions and other kinds of faction threads. Classroom RP can get really repetitive very quickly. And if you step outside of a focus on that, it's already kind of what happens within the Jedi factions

I think the difficulty with the idea is that classroom-type RP is kind of difficult on a forum RP site. One-on-one can work fine, but in larger groups, it's easy for a thread to stall whenever one person stops posting, or it just takes 2-3 weeks for one class that teaches one thing to finish. It's why I think most do their Jedi learning in factions like RTL and GA by more of a combination of learning and experience in the field.

There are occasional classes, but most of what the Padawan characters learn is during missions and other kinds of faction threads. Classroom RP can get really repetitive very quickly. And if you step outside of a focus on that, it's already kind of what happens within the Jedi factions

That is actually a really good point that I had not thought of. Its also like that in real life classes. You get burnt out so quickly day to day going to class.

I have been wanting to do more things with the merchant-marine academies, which could be a different take on things if it catches your interest. Sure, there might be some class stuff, but I expect a lot of it would be more hands on, kind of like Starfleet Academy

I have been wanting to do more things with the merchant-marine academies, which could be a different take on things if it catches your interest. Sure, there might be some class stuff, but I expect a lot of it would be more hands on, kind of like Starfleet Academy

A starfleet academy could be fun. I don't know a ton about it. Is it for pilots?

Bunker-level Normal

Have we really seen Starfleet Academy outside of split-second comic scenes or Kobayashi Maru trials in a couple movies? Every impression I have of it is that it's half-academic/half-trade school. Or basically, more lab-heavy than a traditional four-year degree program. The likelihood is high that you'd be spending most of your day in a classroom in the early years, with the expectation that you're spending more of the later years on field exercises or mocked-up situations in your discipline.

Let me know thoughts.

As to the original idea, I've felt like we sorely lack a JAN-type faction again, where force teaching could occur outside of the (and across different) major factions. Logistics can be smoothed out, either set a time limit on moving forward, or pose a classroom situation in a way that a teacher is doing more of a guidance/reference role than a full lecture/discussion class, or better alternatives we have yet to (re?)discover. There are whole RP genres focused on school-based RP so it's not impossible, just needs a little willingness to experiment to see what works.

I'd recommend anyone who tries this to get a coalition of several knight/master characters who are genuinely interested in such a faction (especially knowing that it's not going to have a map game component). The teaching can be spread out into powers, sabers, philosophy/ideology, field exercises, or more. As long as you've got another avenue or person to fall back on when time/muse gets thin for one person, something like this should be possible.

Well, a merchant-marine academy is basically anyone who wants to be a professional spacer, in the many different roles that includes. So pilots are included, as well as navigators, engineers, mechanics, cargo masters, etc.

That sounds cool. I don't know a ton about spacers but I've heard of groups like the spacers guild. I'm guessing it's kind of like that.

Okay, so here me out, right? Classroom setting can kinda drag if it's overdone, so shift to the faction being location based. Maybe it's based out of a Jedi premium and has an overarching plot of some kind, maybe a mystery of sorts. Making the focus on an interesting location and character interaction could make an idea like this work really well I think.

Or maybe I just like the idea of making more wacky locations lol.

As to the original idea, I've felt like we sorely lack a JAN-type faction again, where force teaching could occur outside of the (and across different) major factions. Logistics can be smoothed out, either set a time limit on moving forward, or pose a classroom situation in a way that a teacher is doing more of a guidance/reference role than a full lecture/discussion class, or better alternatives we have yet to (re?)discover. There are whole RP genres focused on school-based RP so it's not impossible, just needs a little willingness to experiment to see what works.

I was thinking of something like listing out the requirements and trials and then those interested make threads to complete those. So while one person might want to do a class to earn that requirement another might decide to do a mission.

Valery made some good points though that it might not be appealing to a larger crowd. I'll leave this up and see if anybody bites. If not I might just play around with the Jedi service corps. Thats a good way to make my character part of NJO but branch out from the traditional Jedi like things.

Okay, so here me out, right? Classroom setting can kinda drag if it's overdone, so shift to the faction being location based. Maybe it's based out of a Jedi premium and has an overarching plot of some kind, maybe a mystery of sorts. Making the focus on an interesting location and character interaction could make an idea like this work really well I think.

Or maybe I just like the idea of making more wacky locations lol.

I think this could be a really fun idea.

Hey, if you ever wanna work out details, I am 100% down. I got myself a backlog of pinterest art and a codex addiction. I'd be down to contribute if interest for such a thing picks up.

Thank you! I will see if this idea picks up and reach out! It's okay if it doesn't end up working out. I do have an idea for a character in the Jedi Service Corps. I might actually post and see if there are any other corps members I could thread with.

Last edited:
I second a lot of what’s been said previously to be honest.

Weirdly, I enjoy writing classroom based stuff but I know I’m in the minority on this. I really enjoy the teaching aspect of the Force and doing stuff with that. However, not everyone does. People like hands on threads. People like their characters to learn by doing and I get it, it makes for better writing.

I reckon a good mix and you could be onto a winner

What if we did something like combine an academy idea with something like the Jedi Service Corps? It could be the academy where people that didn't make padawan end up and they could do missions and stuff in service of the corps? That would be more hands on but I'm not sure that idea is super popular either. I think most people want to do the traditional master/padawan story.

It might just be something that a few of us are into (I like writing school stories too lol) but doesn't appeal to the masses. Which is fine. It's been turned down a few times but hey ya never know unless you take the shot right?

:: HERO of KORRIBAN ::
I mean whatever floats your boat. Chaos is a giant sandbox. There are some who jump into a class and some who don’t. I‘ve seen minor factions try this as their own or a subfaction of another group. At the end of the day the thing that really matters is whether writers are interested and if the people leading the charge are consistent enough to keep it going.

If those two things aren’t there you can have the best idea in the world, but it will still fail.

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
academies are fun, usually planning and building them and maybe you will get one or two classes going decently and lots of "oh I'll join" and few join which can be discouraging but some enjoy it. I love class threads for seeing different approaches to a technique as you can learn maybe a way to change how you write and grow.

but for such an idea for the lightsiders the Temple Annex is always available just as a means to use the old idea of the acaademy network. Now you can dimensionally shift an archives for lightsiders.

Thats a good idea. Maybe I'll just start some threads and see who bites. It's not a huge deal if it doesn't work out. I think the character I have in mind can work in NJO and I think just doing some class rps might be fun even if they aren't anything officially linked to a faction.

Joland Graves

J
Can't speak for others, but as someone who is new this would be helpful and a good way to dip my toes in the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom