Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private I'm Over Existing In Limbo

The immediate rush of cold air was a firm reminder of all that he'd left behind so many moons ago. With the ship's boarding ramp lowered, he became privy to the majesty of Midvinter and paused to take in a breath of fresh, crisp air unlike that found anywhere else in the Galaxy. Glacial, clean, with a hint of pine and smoldering firewood, it was home even if it had been long forsaken.
A pounce of white and black stripes leapt past him as Felix fled into the snow and began to roll around. The Frir yipped in excitement, a low and rumbling purr emitting from his chest as he was caught up in the snow dunes. At his back a light laughter lit up, and soon enough the touch of one Mysa Snowstrider was set upon his shoulder. "Someone's happy to be back" his older sister remarked, as she stepped around him and descended the ramp with the Arm of Éar set upon her back.
Together the two Hearthfire's had journeyed across the stars from Aurum. She'd found him there a few years prior, having searched the Galaxy for some sign of her missing brother. Why she hadn't gone immediately to Aurum was anyone's guess, but she'd come all the same and remained by his side since.
It only made sense then that when he finally made his return she'd be by his side still.
"Do you speak for yourself, or for sweet Felix, sister?" he inquired, perking a brow in curiosity as a smirk played across his lips. Where Mysa shivered and burrowed down into her winter furs, Theryn stood bold and strong as though spiting the cold. He did not feel it, it did not affect him even as it might others of their kind. What he wore was surprisingly ornate, floral silks which were far more decorative than protective. All that was missing was the sunburst crown which typically adorned his head, he'd left that behind on Aurum. It sat upon his throne in his absence.
"Can't it be both?"
Theryn hummed in agreement, before tearing his gaze from girl and Frir to glance over at the mighty Tháinbroek. Or, at least, where their home had once lay. It was not a familiar sight which greeted them though, and the boys brows furrowed to notice it.
"Have I been gone so long that I forgot where to land?" he mumbled, more to himself than to Mysa. "This is not the home I recall..." Mysa too seemed somewhat perplexed. "I knew it had been damaged" she confessed, "I did not know it needed to be rebuilt so..." Even she could tell that this didn't feel like Tháinbroek though. "She's got to be here all the same, though, right?" Where else would their Mother be?
He found himself stiffening at the words and the thought. She, not they. Theryn would not find his Father here, as much as he tried to squish such from his mind. He'd fled as soon as the news had reached him of his passing, unwilling to believe it. His denial had sent him to the opposite side of the Galaxy, a form of self-exile as effective as poking out his eyes or eardrums. But that didn't change reality, did it?
"Let us hurry, sister mine. I sense a snowstorm coming."

From his private abode sitting atop one of the city's hallowed tea shops, the bear-man paused his throat singing as incense still filled the room. It wasn't every day the sound of engines from one of those steel longships visited Beornstead, the Holy City of the Beorni. Few natives possessed one, most of whom were now part of the royal family. This one felt different, however.

Curious, the massive pile of white fluff rose to his feet and left the comfort of his home for the impending blizzard outside. Plodding down the street towards the city entrance, Arnor soon caught a glimpse of the visiting ship and its visitors. The vessel itself was unlike any he'd ever seen, and the same could very much be said about one of the visitors, looking mighty underdressed for the harsh weather.

The other one was far too familiar in appearance. Though he knew it could not be Nina, there were few others possessing such pure-white hair; as if the Great Mother had spawned them into being from her very essence. The former queen was equally blessed, as was her eldest if memory served him.

A third visitor would then make itself known, appearing from a snow drift and looking more than a little pleased to be home.

Arnor hailed the pair of travellers, meeting them by the entrance. He muttered something in the ancient tongue, the words reverberating deep inside his chest, bringing the pet frír to heel and prompting it to nuzzle his furry leg. His kind was among the first to ever walk Midvinter's soil, as old as the glaciers themselves, and they knew Her beasts and birds by heart.

"Good meet you," he greeted them in broken Basic. He placed his hand upon his heart and inclined his head. "Arnor. This city Beornstead, home of Beorni." A swell of pride as he spoke the words denied to them for so long.

He could not dismiss the state of the lad's thin layers from his mind.

"You not cold?"

Theryn Hearthfire Theryn Hearthfire

They had not taken many steps toward the city gates when the sight of a Beorni greeted them in the distance. Theryn's eyes grew wide with delight, sheer joy overtaking every ounce of his being, though Mysa seemed a little preoccupied with keeping tabs of Felix. "As I live and breathe" he gasped, a certain giddiness grasping him to the point where he raised both hands to his front and almost, almost, clapped with excitement. It took every ounce of willpower he had to avoid such, but the gesture was obvious all the same.
"Oh most noble Beorni" Theryn began, even before Arnor had made him and his home known to them, going so far as to dip into a respectful bow. His clothes were so featherlight that they didn't crinkle or make any other sound with the motion. "Arnor, I am Theryn of House Hearthfire, and this is my sister Mysa. Long has it been since I last stepped foot here, tell me please... Where is Tháinbroek? Did I mistype the coordinates?"
For her part, Mysa watched the interaction between Beorni and Frír with great intrigue. Long had she missed the wonders beholden to this world, the creatures and beings brought into existence by the Gods she so revered. "Beornstead" she breathed, almost in tandem with Theryn's questioning, "You have a home once more? Oh, Mother Runa is most kind..."
So much had happened in their absence, even though Mysa had not been gone hardly as long as her brother. It made her heart soar to see the progress which had been made, to see the reunification between Beorni and Valkyri.
Arnor's concern for Theryn's attire was met with a humoured beam. "I am borne of this land, my friend," he stated, "The cold has never touched me so, unlike my sweet sister here..." Humour turned to mischief as he reached down to take up some snow, before proceeding to toss it at the slight Umbaran. Indignation was awash on her expression as she gasped. "You won't win such a fight, Rin..." she warned.
Only their present company kept them from descending into wintry chaos.

Arnor's fluffy ears perked up at the mention of House Hearthfire. His snout lowered as faint whimpers could barely be heard above the gathering wind. The Uniter was a deeply respected figure in Beorni culture, having united the Three Kindreds and taken the first steps towards reparations for his people.

"Hearth. Fire." His shoulders slumped. Mysa, the snow-blessed one, made mention of Tháinbroek.

"Come. I show."

The towering Beorni turned and lumbered back into town, inviting the pair to follow. There were few signs that this city was ever the home they knew; its architecture, street layout, and districts were all completely different. Not to mention the difference in culture, what with Beorni being pacifists whiling away their hours forging, meditating, and sipping tea. Gongs and cymbals coupled with throat singing were common occurrences.

The trek towards the centre of town would provide ample time for the visitors to take in their surroundings.

Finally, there stood a familiar hill housing nought but a blasted ruin, a path of broken stone steps leading to and fro. It was a bleak sight, to say the least.

At the foot of the hill presided a massive wall of polished black stone proclaiming that this was indeed the site of the Great Hall of Tháinbroek. A great many names were carved into its smooth surface, listing each and every Valkyri High King in the history of the Age of Men who sat in these halls, each paired with their respective house words.

Chief among these many names were those of Thrand Dawnbringer, immediately followed by that of Thyrian the Uniter, the Phoenix King. Beneath it read the words of House Hearthfire: Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.

"Strong in life," Arnor spoke of the fallen king, taking a seat beside the memorial wall, still towering over the pair. "Good man, but sad heart. Walk with gods now. At peace."

Whatever humour the pair had presented was quickly snuffed as a solemnity befell the Beorni. Whimpers nestling into creeping winds which whistled from the neighbouring evergreens told more of a story than mere words could have. Theryn dried his slightly damp hands on his shirt, and then fell into step alongside Mysa and Felix as they were led through into the Holy City.
He looked this way and that, picking up on all of the cultural aspects he'd never before witnessed, or had not seen in some time as the case may be. There had been Beorni migrating into their home since before his birth, he remembered some well such as the toymaker he and Thrand had often visited as boys. Theryn still had his little Beorni plush, plucked from a basket of gifts meant for the orphanage. That wasn't a visit he could remember, he'd been just a few weeks old at the time, but he knew the story well.
His ears picked up on what his eyes could not, the sound of throat-singing drifted around them and the once Jester-Prince of Tháinbroek found immediate kinship with such a mighty chorus. Once it had been he who sang, and danced, and mimed, and enchanted the Valkyri and their furry brethren, a sickly boy who sought for little more than to be able to entertain those he loved, mischief and pranks aside. He could not see the ones responsible, but he felt drawn to them all the same.
Even so he remained on the same path forward, beholden to their unexpected guide.
And then he saw it. He knew it for what it was even without fully approaching, for the hill remained the same even if the building atop it was naught but ruins. While Mysa walked forward, inspecting the black stone memorial, Theryn sank to his knees in the dirt-laced snow. "Father..." His heterochromic eyes immediately hazed over as he was struck all at once with the memory so horrid he'd fled rather than face it.
He didn't flee now, couldn't as he was set upon his knees in despair. So it was true. All this time he'd held out hope that they'd been wrong, that he'd rise again like the Phoenix he was, but no... That was not to be, was it? It took him a little while longer to realize that this was the same place that Tháinbroek had sat upon, only now it was gone.
Beornstead...
"And my Mother? The Snow Queen..? What has become of she, Wise Arnor? And the twins... Thibbi, Thebba..." A flash of horror fell over his face, and he turned a pleading gaze toward Mysa. "I'm so sorry, Sister, I should never have left, never have forced your feet away from here." Their home was gone, he could only hope that the remaining Hearthfire's were somewhere out there.
"It's not your fault, little brother," Mysa assured him, as she stepped over to where he was knelt and settled a hand upon his shoulder. "You were a child... What happened would have happened regardless." The Umbaran peered over to Arnor. "The Heavenshields, do they still reside to the West?"
If any would know the fate of Kära, it would be their kin.

Last edited:
He who appeared to be the younger of the siblings sunk to the ground struck with all the sorrow of a child losing their parent too soon. The elder sibling kept her composure well enough, inquiring as to the whereabouts of their kin.

At first, he shrugged and gently shook his head as he knew not the White Lady's current whereabouts. He'd been too busy rebuilding their ancient home to keep track of everyone's whereabouts after the Great War.

Arnor's nose methodically turned to the west.

"New big city by big water. Fridheim now Heavenheim. There you find King of Lions."

He could not help himself but place his large hand upon Mysa's head, fitting around her like a thick winter's hat.

"May Force be with you, Snowflake," his stubby black claws stroke her white hair. He then turned to Theryn, pointing to his heart.

"Phoenix live in you now. He never gone. Remember words: Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken." Arnor lowered his head to Theryn's eye level.

"You no broken."

Fridheim was certainly a place which Mysa knew well from the days of yore, though much like this city it seemed to have evolved with time. Heavenheim, and the King of Lions. It made sense of course that the crown would go to Thurion, Thrand had ventured off with the aelvar and the only other Hearthfire who might have been old enough to shoulder such had fled. It was better that it was the Heavenshields at any rate, at least that was her belief. They had a strength to them which could not be matched, an internalized light and valour which would serve this world well.
"Then it's there we should venture" Mysa stated, as much to herself as to the other two present, "I remember the way."
As a large paw was set atop her head, Mysa met Arnor's gaze with respect. Her white hair was fussed, and from it she drew a great comfort. "And also with you, Great Arnor."
Meanwhile Theryn still knelt in the snow. His grief remained palpable, as years of substituted reality came crashing down around him. Arnor had done what Mysa had not been able to, gotten through that mighty outer shell and broke through to the boy trapped within. So when the Beorni pointed toward his heart, when he spoke words and lowered himself down to look Theryn in the eye, the boy stared up at him as though clinging to his every word.
"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken" he echoed back, "He lives on, like Grandpa Thrand..? In our hearts, and our minds..?" That which died did not stay dead so long as there were those to remember it. Perhaps he should have been spending his years in self-exile honouring his Father's memory instead of hiding from it. But there was always the future, there was always the now...
"Was he buried, or burned?" he asked, voice quiet as though afraid he might shatter the cityscape if he could be heard beyond their vicinity "I wish to say goodbye... Please."

"Funeral," the Beorni took a moment to recall.

"Great pyre. Many dead. King among them. Snow Queen's last words to husband: 'Ashes to ashes, my Phoenix.' Sad. Very sad."

He'd gone to great lengths to remember the entire event, even asking Nina to write it down for him. His kind did not mourn the way Men do; they choose to celebrate the fallen rather than grieve their loss, but even he felt a pang of sorrow as he witnessed the broken body of the Uniter burn alongside his men. Thyrian had effectively saved their species from extinction and shown both kindness and respect by granting them a seat at his table.

Arnor's gaze turned skywards.

"He among stars now, with past kings. If Gods exist, he there too."

Animalistic black eyes fell upon the pair of little humans, brimming with the wisdom of centuries past.

"If there be last remains, Snow Queen would know. Go see Lion King. He knows where to find her."

His sister remained quiet as Arnor spoke to Theryn of the great pyre which had carried the lost kin of Midvinter from this realm to the next. She kept a soft hand upon his shoulder, hoping to anchor him and remind him that he was not alone in this, but otherwise kept her attention on the black memorial stone. Mysa remembered well the pyre, the devastation felt by all present as they honoured and mourned their fallen. She also knew that Theryn had fled before such had come to pass. When Thyrian's death was but a whispered word on the lips of those around them.
"Ashes to ashes" Theryn responded, "I had hoped deep down that like a Phoenix he would rise again..." He supposed that in the eyes of those who believed in the Gods and the realm beyond that he had in some manner. Just not the way the boy would have liked. "He was gone too soon... Did the Gods not know how much I would need him?" His voice broke in spite of the attempts he made to avoid such. Head hung heavy, he said no more.
Up among the stars the Beorni stated, at least he would not be alone there. So many stars danced in the night sky. Too many perhaps if they were all belonging to the dead.
"Thank you, Arnor, we shall seek him in the West. You have been kind and wise and honorable, and that places me in your debt. If there is ever a time that you need my assistance, you may send for me. My Father will know how to find me, the Lion King as you name him." Her father... Mysa still saw Thurion as such, in spite of everything. True she was Kära's daughter, and true that also made her a Hearthfire, but she'd been pulled into the ranks of the Heavenshields long ago and she would never truly see them as anything but.
Her bonus family. She was fortunate enough to have them, where Rin did not.
"Stand now, sweet Rin" she instructed of her brother, helping him back to his feet, "We've a journey ahead of us..."
"Thank you" the young Prince whispered, to the both of them, before unexpectedly flinging his arms around the Beorni as best he could. A simple hug, until they hopefully met again.

the_city_of_shakar_by_noahbradley-d55frpt.jpg

City of Heavenheim
Westmark

By far the largest and most advanced city on the planet, outshining even the old capital of Tháinbroek, the thrice-walled coastal trading hub that Heavenheim has become boasts the highest population in Midvinter history. Magnificent marvels of architecture and engineering unseen anywhere else, such as the genuinely massive Sentries maintaining their constant vigil; humongous statues hewn from the tall cliff-face flanking the Straits of the Setting Sun, one bearing the likeness of then-High King Thyrian Hearthfire, and the other the current High King Thurion Heavenshield. Brothers-at-arms, they call them.

Most impressive of all, however, is not some manmade structure or work of art, but its mythical guardians. Heavenheim sports not the rampant lion of the royal family, but rather a pair of gryphons. From the Eyrie they patrol the skies, their cries echoing far and wide. The townsfolk know well to give them a wide berth, for no mortal may command these headstrong beasts save for those fortunate, or crazy, enough to become their bonded rider.

It is only fitting then that the patriarch of lions should be bonded to the patriarch of the last family of gryphons still around.

"Come on--faster, ya big furball," he teased over the sound of beating wings. The fantastical beast shrieked in response, prompting a laugh from its rider. "You know you need to stretch your wings whenever she's expecting. Can't have you fart around in your tower all day and get fat!" Another cry from the creature's beak. "Oh, she'll be fine! How many litters has she produced by now? Seven, eight?"

As the pair swooped down from the clouds towards the city, the arrival of an unfamiliar ship approaching from the east immediately caught his attention. "Looks like we've got visitors."

The ship would find that there existed landing pads within the city walls wide enough to accommodate them.

It had initially been their plan to travel by foot to Heavenheim. A long journey to be sure, but one which they hoped would reconnect them to their roots. What they hadn't anticipated was the length and intensity of the storm which gripped the landscape. Even with the ship it was difficult to navigate, but Mysa had been smart and pulled them back out into orbit. It was far simpler to find their mark when they had the luxury of seeing the bigger picture.
Theryn was quiet throughout their brief flight West. He'd retired himself to his personal cabin and therein fell into a deep state of meditation the likes of which he'd never before embraced. His mind was filled with so many thoughts and regrets that he felt certain he'd break before they reached the City of the Heavenshields. That was something he simply could not afford. He had to remain strong, vigilant, had to prepare himself for facing reality. For facing that which he'd run from.
He felt the ship lurch as it reentered atmosphere, and waited until it had come to a still before he freed himself from solitude. Outside the door two Togorians clad in the Royal colours of Aurum awaited him, reds and greys and yellows adorning their attire. Typically they wore armour with their tabards, but he'd thought it best not to approach the world with such. They were not here anticipating strife, but nor would his subjects accept it if he ventured off entirely alone.
"Majesty" the pair uttered, with a brief yet reverent salute. Theryn dipped his head toward them in response, showing just as much respect. "May we accompany you this time?"
"If you wish" was the boys response, he would not keep them from doing what they willed but nor would he expect them to be at his beck and call, certainly not away from home. On Aurum he had appearances to upkeep, but here? Here he was little Theryn Hearthfire. The rascal Prince of Thainbroek...
They followed him as he met back up with Mysa by the boarding ramp, and before the four could make their descent Theryn wrapped his arms around his sister. "What's that for?" she asked with a soft chuckle, giving him a big squeeze. Times like these she wished she was taller, then she could ruffle his hair. Alas, even standing on her tiptoes that was a tall ask.
"Being with me all these years" he retorted, as the boarding ramp lowered and they stepped out into the cold. All around them the City bustled. "Where should we start?" he inquired.
Mysa gestured up toward what looked to be the seat of House Heavenshield. "There, perhaps? Come, I'm excited to see Father." She caught her words too late and winced slightly. She knew it was a difficult thing for her brother to accept, that she had found an immediate familial bond with their Uncle and cousins. Much to her surprise though he settled a hand upon her shoulder. "Sorry I kept you from them" he said, "No more... I hope that I can rebuild bridges, but even if not I am happy for you Sister."

The sibling duo would not get far before the beating of wings and a piercing cry would cause townsfolk to turn their eyes to the skies and bear witness to the Lion King riding atop their city sigil's namesake, and knew well to give ample space for the pair to land. They would do so before the very eyes of the new arrivals, for the rider had felt that familiar tug in the Force. A long-lost cub had returned to join the pride.

Thurion threw his leg over the side and slid down the monstrous creature looking as fierce as ever, showing only its softer side to its rider such as when he gave the gryphon a good rub behind the ear, prompting a purr from its yellow beak. Both would then proceed to shrug off the drifts of snow that still clung to them in unison before the King then turned towards the visitors.

Before either could say anything he raised his hand, slowly approaching the pair. One was tall yet gaunt in stature, the other short with hair white as snow. The process of elimination figuratively screamed at him as to the identity of the latter, but he needed to make sure. As he stood before her, Thurion pulled back her hood to reveal her face and felt a lump instantly form in his throat.

"Snowflake," he would finally speak, caressing her cheek. "Sweet little Mysa." He would then embrace his daughter as only a father could, clutching her to his chest like she was six all over again, and as he did he could physically feel a piece of his heart mend itself; a sensation he seldom experienced, for many were the pieces that would not ever mend again. "You are home now."

Thurion placed a longing kiss upon her pale forehead, then turned to the second visitor. The young man looked mighty out of place, given his wardrobe, and yet there was something keenly familiar about this one as well. "Who is your comp-- wait..."

He could see it in his eyes. A younger brother, same as he. Fire and Ice in the shape of a man.

"Blood of the Phoenix," he gasped, feeling a need to bow his head. Perhaps he did so out of old loyalty, or perhaps he did so out of shame. Shame that he could not...

His status as an uncle won out in the end, embracing the young prince. "Little Rin," he grinned with pride as he sized him up. "Look at you... You're all grown up!"

There was a sudden nudge in his backside followed by the appearance of a giant bird's head resting upon his. "Alright, alright," he sighed, playing up a defeated look towards the pair. "He does this when he thinks I'm taking too long." Petting the gryphon's feather-clad cheek, he gave his permission. "Go on then, ya big softy," he bid, prompting the mighty winged steed to turn away and take flight towards the familiar spire belonging to the Eyrie.

"Pardon Skywalker's rudeness, Queen Gryphon is expecting another litter back home."

They had hardly left the boarding ramp when the sound of beating wings drew their sights to the heavens above. Theryn's two-toned eyes watched in amazement as the gryphon descended, faint drifts of snow pushed off course as they made their way to the ground. He paused in place, yet much to his surprise Mysa took a step forward even when the King's hand was risen as though to halt them.

Mysa found herself embraced, and when watching it Theryn found himself taking a very tiny step back. He no longer felt tall, no longer felt like a boy on the brink of becoming a man, instead he felt small. Tiny, even. Like the little boy who had made the icy world his playground so long ago.
"Father" Mysa gasped, as she returned the warm embrace and held him close. "I have missed you dearly..."
It came as no surprise that Theryn was not initially recognized. His once dark hair had paled 'til it was almost as snow white as his sisters, and he had grown considerably. His eyes were perhaps the easiest way to denote him as being who he was, the missing Hearthfire, one blue and one green. As much as he could change his visage at will, as much as he drew upon the Force to cause illusionary changes as though bearing a mask, those eyes could not be altered.
Confusion first, curiosity as to who the boy was, then all at once recognition, understanding... grief.
At Thurion's approach Rin took another very timid step back. "M-My King" the boy stuttered, gaze averted down in reverence. The Togorians, one stood at each shoulder, exchanged a look of brief confusion, their presence keeping him from fleeing entirely. He wasn't expecting a warm welcome, nothing pleasant, if anything he seemed to brace himself for something far harsher.
Imagine his surprise when he also found himself wrapped up in the warm embrace of the Valkyri King.
"Forgive me, I didn't mean to draw her from you" he whispered guiltily, even as Thurion spoke as though genuinely happy to see him. Mysa interjected before he could say any more. "You didn't do anything, brother mine. It was I who sought you out."
She glanced past Thurion to the restless gryphon and beamed a great smile. "Oh, he's magnificent. Gryphon pups? How wonderful!" Mysa watched intently as Skywalker took flight, heading off to seek out his feathery Queen, and once he'd done so she looked back upon her father.
"I do hope you don't mind our unexpected call..."

Thurion physically recoiled at the mere suggestion.

"Mind? My own daughter returns after years spent off-world and I'm supposed to mind?" His taking offence was but a feign, as he then chuckled and wrapped his arms around their shoulders, proceeding to walk them up the cobbled street with Mysa and Theryn on either side of him. While he knew not the cause of their visit, right now he was more than content just catching up.

As they wandered he noted the odd looks the townsfolk were giving his nephew behind his back, judging the strange youngster's by his appearance. They knew not who he was; could not see the resemblance to the Phoenix King. Nor did Thurion know whether Theryn realised or even cared, but to prevent further gossip the Lion tore his own fur cloak from its clasps and wrapped it around the young man's slender shoulders, voluminous enough to cover him from head to toe. Regardless of whether Theryn felt the bitter sting of being made fun of, Thurion offered a reassuring rub of his shoulder just as well. No words were needed.

"You must tell me," he eventually relented to his curiosity, "why come all the way from Aurum, just to see little old me? Don't get me wrong, I'm more than overjoyed that you're here and all, but I can't help but think you have other reasons for..." He paused as they turned a corner and found themselves in the city square. "...coming here."

Ahead, towering above all others, were two bronze statues sculpted with the most lifelike features that never ceased to give him pause. Both were High Kings of old, beloved and held in higher regard than any that had come before. Slightly older than the other, the first to be erected bore the likeness of Thrand Dawnbringer; Grey-Wolf, as he was known in the days of the rebellion, then posthumously hailed as the Lord of Sunlight.

The second statue bore the likeness of Thyrian Hearthfire; the Phoenix King, the Uniter who brokered the very alliance the Three Kindreds enjoy to this day. As much as these two giants meant to Thurion, who knew them in life as simply Father and Brother, he cast his gaze unto his daughter and nephew on either side of him.

"Go to them," he urged softly. "Speak, and they will listen."

In the presence of their King, the townsfolk cleared a path all on their accord. As the trio drew closer, a vast assortment of gifts adorned the base of both statues; flowery wreaths, lovingly-crafted weapons, letters of thanks, and even children's drawings. Thurion followed closely behind the young siblings but would park himself at a respectable distance.

Their words were not for him.

Mysa sank into the warm embrace of her Father, and chuckled to the feigned offense which shone through his words. "I know you to be a busy man, unexpected visits can throw plans off." Like the birth of the Gryphon pups, for example. Skywalker had already drifted off to his roost in search of his feathery Queen though, and neither he nor Thurion seemed much to mind the change.
On the other side of him Theryn initially stiffened. How long had it been since he'd felt a warm embrace from anyone other than his sister? He'd been away from home for so very long now, purposefully isolated, that he felt certain he'd never have a sense of familial bond again, never know such comfort. Uncle Thurion quickly shattered that perception, and after a moment he turned his head into the mans shoulder as the trio made their way through Heavenheim.
When the cloak was set about his shoulders he drew comfort from it also; he hadn't been bothered by the strange glances he received, nor the chill in the air around them, but bearing the weight of a heavy fur cloak was like a weighted blanket that stilled the other anxieties which did course through him. "Thank you, my King," the boy whispered.
Mysa did not immediately relent in telling the tale to Thurion, instead as they turned the corner and witnessed the majesty of the dual Kings, two of three great paternal figures in her life, she took a moment to gaze upon them breathlessly. They had etched so well her Grandfather's visage, his had been the first friendly face she had ever known in this Galaxy of theirs. It was Thrand who had made her a Valkyri, risen her up from an experiment to a child. It was the cloak he had given her, much too large for her then as it even was now, which lay over her shoulders. His handiwork in the wooden figurine in her pocket.
The first being in the entire Galaxy she'd ever felt love from or toward.
She took a small breath as Thurion urged them on, and pushed Theryn lightly toward the statue of their flaming Father. She was not the Phoenix's by blood like Theryn was, but she saw him as a Father just as much as she saw Thurion as one. He'd embraced her wholeheartedly, and she missed him dearly. While Theryn stepped closer, sinking to his knees before the former High Kings, Mysa hung back.
"He is hoping to find peace," she explained, eyes set upon the back of her brother's head though her words were directed toward Thurion. "Closure... It's taken him so very long to make this first step. We're hoping to find Mother, and the great Arnor suggested you might have a notion as to where she is?"
Finally she peered up at his noble visage, and smiled softly. "Getting to see you again is just a much needed addition. I have missed you so, Papa, but I couldn't bear to see him in such a lonely state of self-exile. I had to be with him, you understand?"

Thurion's head slumped forward ever so slightly. "So do we all," he replied in regard to finding peace. Closure. There wasn't a day in the year when he didn't mourn the passing of his elders. Thyrian had been the last connective tissue bridging him to any past life before the Jedi. All he had left were his memories, painful though they may be. Now, there was no one left; nowhere for the young boy who yet dwelled in his heart to seek wisdom or comfort.

Coci is all he has. When she inevitably departs this realm, for it seemed evermore likely she would eventually succumb to advanced age over him perishing in some battle, there will be none left for him to cling to. Children, grandchildren... While he loves and adores each one of them with all his heart, he would not allow himself to be a burden to them. As the elder patriarch, he's supposed to be there for them, not the other way around.

No, he could only hope Death comes for him swiftly once he is all alone.

He snapped out of it as Mysa made mention of having missed him, returning the soft smile, tinged with sorrow though it may come across. "Of course; nobody begrudged you for spending time with your brother, Mysa." He took her hand in his and held it tenderly. "I'm glad he's had you to lean on these last few years."

When Kära's name graced his daughter's lips, as well as mentioning the name of Arnor, Thurion put two and two together.

"The Beorni are a truly magnanimous people, to be capable of forgiving trespasses which nearly ended their race and culture altogether. I am glad you got to meet the best of them," he referred to Arnor. He'd only visited it once, however. The King saw only a monument to his own failure to save his brother and the city.

"I do know where you'll find your mother," he then revealed.

Knelt there before the grand statues, Theryn hung his head and whispered words he'd not heard spoken in a long time, words spoken in devotion to the Gods and Goddesses of these lands. It was a mournful prayer which he uttered, a devastated plea for forgiveness from those long since gone, his Father above all else but others too. So many had fallen. He'd disrespected each by fleeing so suddenly, he had not remained behind to see them upon the funeral pyre.
For as stoic as he tried to be in his every day life, hoping to appear regal and proper for the people of Aurum who had come to look upon him as a true leader, the boy was fast to crumble. His sobs were inaudible but his shoulders shook all the same. Soon he wasn't even able to finish the rites he'd begun, not without taking pauses here and there to reclaim his breath.
"Please, Father," he ultimately whimpered, "Please, forgive me..."
Mysa had always had a very keen set of senses, bordering on supernatural. She heard those whimpered words and felt her heart breaking, though for now she did not comment upon them and instead left him to mourn in peace. It wasn't fair to stop him now that he'd finally reached this point. He needed the catharsis.
With her hand in Thurion's, she gave his a soft squeeze.
"They are wise" she agreed of the Beorni, "I am glad they have a real home once more." As for Kära, knowing that Thurion knew of her current residence was more than a relief. "You do? Is she well?" Though she could very easily have asked the million credit question, asked to be told exactly where so that they could be on their way, Mysa felt no great haste. Instead she stepped toward the statues, keeping her hand in his, and tried to encourage him to join them. "Could we stay with you tonight?" she inquired, her own voice becoming as whispered as Theryn's now that she was nearing her brother. "I have missed you so..."

"She is... as well as you'd imagine. A Force Bond, when severed, is never fully healed. It's a great risk one takes, connecting one's spirit to that of another; to constantly be aware of their whereabouts, their struggles... their love. They truly become a part of you. Sever that bond and, if it does not destroy you, you are still left broken for the rest of your days, never to be repaired. When that voice you know and love suddenly vanishes, the silence becomes deafening."

Thurion looked up at his brother's face he'd loved as a boy and man.

"What those two went through... there are not enough pages and scrolls in Nina's College to tell their tale to the fullest. One was fire," his gaze descended upon the kneeling Theryn. "...one was ice." Believing the poor boy had blamed himself long enough, Uncle Thurion walked up from behind and put his arms around his nephew where he knelt.

"My sweet boy," he calmly whispered in his ear. "It is right to weep for the dead, but do not pity them. Where they go there is no pain or regret, no wars nor misery. Death is just another path, one that we all must take." He then turned Theryn away from the likeness of his father to look him in the eye, holding him steady by clutching both cheeks.

"You are Theryn of House Hearthfire; within your blood resides the chill winds of Midvinter and the flames of the Phoenix. You hail from a line of kings and gods." With his thumb, Thurion wiped a fresh tear from his cold cheek. "But greater still is that you are good and noble, and I love you," he smiled with the warmth of a thousand suns.

After a moment of letting their foreheads touch in that most intimate of gestures, Thurion raised Theryn to his feet and wrapped an arm around the shoulders of each sibling.

"Now come, you two are staying at casa de Heavenshield tonight, and I will not take 'no' for an answer. I'm the King and what I say goes!"

"I cannot imagine all that she has been through" Mysa sorrowfully breathed, to have a bond so firmly forged and then torn from you? To feel the love of your life's light extinguish, and then be left with the scattered remnants, mere ash where once a fire blazed, was incomprehensible. Mysa knew loss, of course, more loss than any should have to suffer through, but she had never been bonded so. Her heart ached for her snow-white mother, and for the boy now knelt in the snow.
She released Thurion's hand when his intentions became clear, remaining a few feet back as Uncle swept Nephew up in soft words and tender touches. Mysa knew well how warm her Papa could be, the comfort he could provide, and hoped most dearly that Theryn would draw from it the way she had many times in the past.
The boy hung his head as whispered words graced his ear, though soon he found himself turned toward their noble King and his two-toned eyes lifted to look upon him in reverence and respect. Only it was not the High King who spoke with him, who held his cheeks and rested forehead to forehead, it was his Uncle. His kin. Theryn swallowed down a knot which had begun to form in his throat, and felt the most recent tear wiped from his face.
"I love you too, Uncle," he retorted softly, intense sorrow softening down into serene breaths as that smile warmed and ignited him once more. "Do... Do you think he knows that we are here? That he hears me call after him?"
Soon risen back to his feet, Theryn peered one last time over his shoulder at those colossal statues and then leaned into the embrace of his Uncle. It was something of a homecoming, though he had never actually resided in Heavenheim or even Fridheim before, a return to family. He felt his chin lifting slightly, and between the drifts of snow settling down from the heavens above the rays of sunlight peeked through to shine upon them three.
So the pair walked with Thurion, a soft whistle the only sound released from the lips of Mysa as she encouraged sweet Felix to follow close at hand. He pounced through the streets like a prancing pony, more than glad to be back within the snow-strewn lands he'd been borne within.

The moment the father and uncle crossed the threshold to the Heavenshield home, a pair of orange cats of Corellian origin ran up to pounce their daddy. Being out of food probably had nothing to do with it. The brother-pair named Bib and Bub (blame Thirdas), while recognising Mysa, were hesitant to approach given her large feline companion. Theryn, however, was an unknown.

"Easy there, tigers," their daddy calmed the excited kitties, bending over to pet each one. "Please, make yourselves at home," he bid Theryn and Mysa. "You'll find little has changed since your last stay, Mysa." Thurion kicked off his boots and shoved them in the corner using his foot. "I'll get the fireplace going, feel free to look around!"

By the time dinner was served and subsequently finished, some hours later, everyone was gathered in the living room. Felix was soundly asleep in front of the fireplace with Bib and Bub nuzzled up against him. Thurion was seated in one of the armchairs facing said fireplace, a holo-communicator in the palm of his hand.

"I must away, but please do take care, sweet Mysa. It's so wonderful to see you safe at home. Give Kära my love when you see her and look after your brother for us." Coci's foot-sized hologram then turned to her husband. "Be safe, my heart. I'll be back sometime in the afternoon." Thurion smiled lovingly. "And I'll be waiting. Now and beyond this life." Coci appeared less and less keen to end the call. "Now and beyond this life. Until tomorrow..."

As the hologram of his wife flickered and turned off, his longing gaze lingered where her likeness had been. His thumb idly caressed the comm device before placing it on the coffee table next to him. He took to twiddling his thumbs where he sat, putting his feet up on the napping frír. Who but the Lion King to so effortlessly earn the love and respect of fellow felines?

"Hope dinner was to your liking. I'm no master chef like Coci, but I'm learning. Figured roast chicken was a safe bet."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom