Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion If You Took A Social Media Course…

Um maybe examine classes that you’ve personally taken in the past and from a professional perspective mirror what those professors did well and what they didn’t do well with the course materials and then go from there?

I’m assuming since you’re teaching this you’ve taken courses on the materials, so just use your own experiences to craft the course.

Also if there’s text involved maybe pull from that?

Kitter Bitters Kitter Bitters

I’m assuming since you’re teaching this you’ve taken courses on the materials, so just use your own experiences to craft the course.

Also if there’s text involved maybe pull from that?

Kitter Bitters Kitter Bitters

you would think but no I’ve never taken a course on social media before. Also I choose the text. I was given the title of the course and 1 sentence to describe it and told “go design this course”

I’m thinking how to produce sharable content, make videos , blogs , white papers and info graphics and then some analytics and some ethics. Maybe a break down of the audience on each platform as well.

Just out of curiosity, you're discussing a class about social media rather than a class hosted on social media (ie, the learning stuff on LinkedIn insofar as that can be considered a social network)? Basics of use (those common to multiple sources probably), maybe moving up to how to gain views and popularity, potentially monetize, that sort of thing?

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, you're discussing a class about social media rather than a class hosted on social media (ie, the learning stuff on LinkedIn insofar as that can be considered a social network)? Basics of use (those common to multiple sources probably), maybe moving up to how to gain views and popularity, potentially monetize, that sort of thing?

Yes about social media not on

Pillar of Education | Inquisitor | General
Aside from the obvious, a History could be fun, AOL's interest specific chat rooms of the 90's, MySpace which was a place for social profiles and interaction, that became the first online rpg. Social media sites and the art of presenting one's self as someone other than they truly are go hand in hand.
You could write a whole course on the dangers. So many stories on crime shows involve people who got killed when their fantasy leaked into rl. I have a friend who was approached on a social media platform, wooed and lured to go meet the guy, convinced she would divorce her husband and bring her teenage children along, only to be told at the last minute by his family that this prince charming committed suicide and his last words were of his undying love for her. I mean, I see it! She was thrilled by mere psychological abuse, and that this was someone, maybe even just a kid, who was never serious! But my friend was severely traumatized and so into this guy's presented profile, to this day she believes this truly happened. She says, "His family showed me the obituary," no doubt, over the Internet.
I knew a kid 14 years old boy who wrote for a roleplay character on myspace, he ended up receiving loads of gifts from grown women. When his parents found out, it opened up the need to discuss things parents could not even imagine they would need to talk about.
My own daughter at 15 was told she was talking to a boy from her school who moved out of State. This guy was trying to convince her to run away from home to be with him. I strongly doubt that too.
I wrote a popular canon character on myspace, and this lady asked if our characters could have a child together. When I turned her down she wrote me that she "legitimately felt like she lost a child," and was suffering from fits of crying spells.
I have even been told people believed I was in love with them by my ic rp writing.

I consider myself creative, but I can't make this stuff up. It's !@#$%^&*ing scary out there, maybe more than it is a fun pastime. Crazy people should NOT be given access to the Internet! But they are. Same goes for what people are expected to call News today. The most popular News sites are filled with posts from laymen writers, and are written with bias towards the journalist's emotional connection to whatever it may be. In the old days, there was a handful of select journalists who walked into a building daily, who actually knew one another personally, tried to stick to the facts of a story and allow the reader to choose how they felt about things. If the Internet was utterly destroyed tomorrow, I would only miss this RPG, period.

How in-depth is the course supposed to be?

Because it's interesting to analyze social media from a social networking perspective. And you can't - or at least shouldn't - talk about networking, without going into graph theory. Maybe even a bit on data mining, big data, machine learning, etc...

I hate social media, it's accumulated for a majority of the passive aggression in the world, specially felt here in America.

Anyone can say anything, but then at times you can't because it's just sensored or removed all together. Propaganda and Fear are too easily spread across the Internet, and people who haven't taken the time to genuinely think for themselves buy into it all and become irrational. Imagine what the world be like if Facebook was a messaging tool only? All you could do was message mom and dad, face chat with siblings and go on about your day.

I watched a couple with a baby in Walmart the other day...maybe mid twenties...faces stuffed in their phones...not saying a word to each other...and this went on for a good ten minutes before they started walking...phones still in their faces...that's freaking sad. Sure...they COULD have been in a rough patch in their relationship but let's be real here...that's most likely NOT the case.

Social Media has done some good...and it's done some harm and the good doesn't out weight the harm.

Maybe I'm completely wrong...and that's fine...but that is my opinion in social media.

I hate social media, it's accumulated for a majority of the passive aggression in the world, specially felt here in America.

I do not disagree with you, but students entering the marketing world will need to know how to utilize social media professionally. It's an expectation on the job market now thus many classes like these exist in several departments.

I did include an ethics component in the class so we could discuss things like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom