Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think Annihilations were a bad idea.

Decimus

D
I don't like the thought of us blowing up canon planets for several reasons.
1: Stops those planets being used for future threads.
2: It's likely to put off some potential new arrivals if they find out their favorite canon world has been blown up.
3: Do we even have the right to go blowing up famous planets like that? Seriously, if it were for custom worlds only I'd be fine with that, but I don't think we've got the right to blow up places dear to some people's hearts, fanon RP forum or not.

Dunno. Am I the only one who thinks this? Just wanted to share my thoughts and opinion on the matter.

The most frightening parts of life is change. I used to hate that we destroyed Corellia way back in them old days, but now these things are more of a planet lost is a story gained. The difference between Corellia one and the current ones on Korriban or Csilla is the fact that these destructive events can can be stopped, you just gotta write a story that tells a more compelling reason to keep it than the opposition can give for removing it.

It adds a layer of consequences to the map game that has been lacking for a long time now.

Be careful what you wish for.
I like the thought of superweapons, but I fear they will become as common as a turbolaser. That being said, we're all adults here and a well written collaborated story is a well written collaborated story.

Personally, I do like them based on the fact that the stories behind them (at least in theory, as we've only had one) pits a faction against major coalitions seeking to prevent them from carrying it out. In essence, they are one of the best examples of a major community event in which people don't have to really stress about things like time (cuz of the month thing, might just be me tho)

Plus, from what I've seen in Head of the Snake, the results were very narrow, with only one catogory granting the BoTM victory. Besides, this is kinda what happened in Cannon and Legends. All planets live in fear

Corey's OOC

And where were the spiders
I am on the anti-Annihation side. There are some worlds, like the Canon ones, that feel a part of 'sacred lore' thats open to everyone.

Removing them seems bad.

I love the idea of annihilations and was impressed with how Csilla turned out. The one problem I run into is finding reasons for my characters to get involved. Making a planet go boom is awesome to see as a reader/writer, but IC it carries a whole lot of weight. Bit of a double-edged sword, I guess, but lots of great things are like that.

Caedyn Arenais

C
I like the concept of Annihilation threads and those few that have been done so far have sounded/looked amazing (I haven't taken part in one yet).

I do however understand the concern with canon planets/lore being removed from the potential RP that others might seek to have, and I guess if we were to seek to accommodate that concern then there would need to be a suggestion made that would offer an answer to that.

I guess this has me thinking about Alderaan having been wiped out in ANH, and the fact that we have an Alderaan on our map currently. Is there room for planets to be rebuilt, for New Alderaan's to be made via custom planet submissions with all the lore included? I don't see why this cannot be done via the factory/codex forums providing that people are committed and motivated enough to do so.

Sure, the original world may be gone, but after a few IC years, a couple more major faction wars and such, who's going to know the difference beyond a different coloured dot on the map?

Im on the edge. I like the idea of annihilation's, but its kinda sad seeing these great places go. I think that only custom planets should be destroyed, a even at that they should be limited.

Though it's cool, is it worth it?

Decimus

D
Caedyn Arenais But like, say Korriban gets destroyed in the upcoming annihilation. It's all well and good saying we can rebuild the planet, but what about all the tombs and history there? Can't exactly replace any of that. :(

Caedyn Arenais

C
Caedyn Arenais But like, say Korriban gets destroyed in the upcoming annihilation. It's all well and good saying we can rebuild the planet, but what about all the tombs and history there? Can't exactly replace any of that. :(
Yeah I totally understand that.

I know that some people might not want to powerplay the real out there options like traveling alternate timelines and such as suggested by Miona Anden Miona Anden but that is one option that encourages a compromise/middle-ground for those who wish to preserve that content.

The Sith also have archives like the jedi and generations of knowledge stored away in secret. Who's to say the tombs weren't there for ceremonial purpose and the real ones haven't been relocated etc

Like I said in my post further up. I understand the concern but it's a big thing in star wars and has brought a lot of hype to chaos so I'd like to see suggestions to improve the issue rather than talk about doing away with it entirely.

Jumping on the anti-annihilation train here as well. These threads are a neat concept and really pull out some of the best and brightest moments in storytelling - but only once. After that spark of action in a thread, there's a chance that this location you're fighting over will no longer be able to be used as setting (unless you write flashback stuff).

There should be risk involved in the map game, yes, but annihilation threads extend that risk to quite literally the entire player-base regardless if they've got stakes in the fight or not. That's just bad taste in my opinion. The map game should only be risky for the major and minor factions that actively participate in it, not the individual/solo writers that do their own stuff with a few friends.

While I doubt annihilation threads will ever go away, I would like to point out that the rules state: "Superweapons may be used without Admin approval in this thread." This offers no limitation for attacker or defender superweapons. Defenders can use their own superweapons to protect a piece of the galaxy from being destroyed. Using a powerful weapon to fight another would be a neat plot device that may even help defenders in the next annihilation should one arise.

Personally, I love annihilation threads. They add higher stakes, and have massive potential for character development. Does that mean we might lose some cool planets in the process? Sure. That being said, there's a ton of planets in the galaxy that are just waiting to be explored more. If anything, removing the more obvious ones just presents us with new, fresh settings to investigate In the example of Korriban, I get that it's a popular world, but to be honest, I feel like it's overused. I wouldn't mind seeing it go boom. It's a big galaxy, and there's plenty to flesh out and explore.

Vesta

V
Entirely on the side of Annihilation threads. All of the reasons I've seen above are only reasons I've seen come up after they realize a planet they like isn't safe from destruction - where are all these board-engaging threads taking place on Corellia (that weren't its destruction or restructuring), Csilla (ditto), and non-invasion/rebellion threads on Korriban?
While I doubt annihilation threads will ever go away, I would like to point out that the rules state: "Superweapons may be used without Admin approval in this thread." This offers no limitation for attacker or defender superweapons. Defenders can use their own superweapons to protect a piece of the galaxy from being destroyed. Using a powerful weapon to fight another would be a neat plot device that may even help defenders in the next annihilation should one arise.
I asked for clarification on this specifically. There is an official admin response given which goes contrary to what you're saying (with a caveat). Officially only the attacking faction can use their superweapon, but if they agree to allow it another faction can as well - but the default is no.

Kiara Ayres

K
I'm not thrilled about the idea. Major canon planets are usually going to be the targets since that's when annihilations are most impactful and while they can be replaced like New Alderaan, at some point this will become tacky when there's a New Korriban, New Csilla, New Mandalore... ect.

These planets have a lot of irreplaceable history and lore. Imo it is a heavy price to pay for one thread, albeit a large thread.

There should be a way to render a planet uninhabitable and displace its population without wiping the planet from existence (Re: Mandalore) so that a recovery thread is necessary but possible.

Entirely on the side of Annihilation threads. All of the reasons I've seen above are only reasons I've seen come up after they realize a planet they like isn't safe from destruction - where are all these board-engaging threads taking place on Corellia (that weren't its destruction or restructuring), Csilla (ditto), and non-invasion/rebellion threads on Korriban?

I asked for clarification on this specifically. There is an official admin response given which goes contrary to what you're saying (with a caveat). Officially only the attacking faction can use their superweapon, but if they agree to allow it another faction can as well - but the default is no.
My main problem I see is that knowing the community, it won't be long before we end up with NotKorriban and NotCsilla, but that's up for the community to decide. My only concern is that this'll become a gimmick where people just rush to do annihilations, but honestly, it doesn't effect how I write or what I do; until someone manages to wipe out half the galaxy, but that shouldn't be an issue....right? I think maybe there should be a limit put on it? But it's too early to say truthfully. Just up to the writers to come up with how they feel about it and what not.

I understand, these are all points that were raised by the Admins when I first introduced the idea. And negative feedback was expected - and understandable. I think we can reference this discussion without alluding “You don’t want that planet to be destroyed because you like it.” I think it goes without saying that you can be a Jedi main and still not want Korriban, Byss, or Mustafar to blow. Hell, you can even hate those planets and want them to blow, but not enjoy the connotations the ruleset provides for other planets.

My stance was always this, though. We’re storytellers. Without some sense of real consequence, this community will stagnate. We’re a community that’s nearing 10 years old - when I personally think of ideas to change the game, I want to actually change the game. Annihilations were the cornerstone of that change.

The stakes are high, the requirements are high, and the potential for new stories - that of a Chiss, exiled from their home, never to return because some hateful entity targeted it - that’s what I like to see happening, personally. There is beauty in tragedy - moreso, I’d say, than achieving victories. Tragedy evokes emotions and change victories never can. And on a site where you never die unless you’re trying to fabricate a win for the Story Victory Condition, actual tragedy is truly a unique thing to experience.

I heard a quote one time, that the stories lost in the fire of the Library of Alexandria didn’t cease to exist - they just became a bigger story. That’s my stance, and how I’ll continue to feel about Annihilations. I just want new good stories, and I’m not unwilling to sacrifice old ones for it.

Aside from my own motivation, like, 5 of the 14? Star wars Movies feature planet killing weapons and gross level destruction. So we’re pretty “on theme” with it. Despite this, if we get enough backlash, I’m willing to escalate this to a community-wide vote to annihilate Annihilations. Seems we’re pretty split, though.

Last edited:

Vesta

V
Zolasha Tyrin Zolasha Tyrin
There's like 4 Chiss worlds and 8 Sith ones, Korriban and Csilla are just names people remember. Nobody, in Canon or IC prior to the most recent major faction (because it was their only hex for the last moments of its life), actually lives on Korriban, and nobody actually has used Csilla for an RP thread in months prior to the Annihilation thread.

People underutilize planets on Chaos unless they're being targeted for invasions, dominions, or are a capital hex. Korriban just happened to be the former capital of a small major faction recently, prior to that it wasn't even used by the major faction before it (Sith Empire) aside from 3 threads that were not placed there for narrative reasons.

That being said, Annihilation threads don't always end in a planet being destroyed. Every single person on the forum can participate and stop it from happening.

Vesta

V
Currently, 100% of Annihilation threads have ended in a planet being destroyed.
1 thread is not a large enough sample size to make that argument.

There's an opportunity in the rules that give an alternative to it, that's what I'm referring to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom