Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private I have something of yours

Of all the shuttles Dagos had been on this was easily the nicest. The floors were carpeted, the lighting was low but not dim or dark, there was a steady stream of air conditioning and every few minutes there was a spritz or something sweet smelling. Good luck finding any of that on an SC military shuttle or on the Nar Shaddaa public trans.

The seats are nicer than any bed I had at the temple. He thought to himself as he spread out on the seat, hands folded behind his head, digging his fingers through his hair and rubbing the back of head. Something he did when he wasn't sure of himself. Chit, I need a haircut.

He was the only passenger on the shuttle. The only living passenger any way. Dagos' droid had tagged along as it so often had since they had first met. A gold and black BD-unit, BD-NRG had saved Dagos life aboard an abandoned cruiser filled with monsters—remnants of the Bryn'adul— ever since then the droid had sort of just been around and Dagos had been glad for it.

It didn't take long for Dagos to get bored with being comfortable. His sneakers padded softly along the carpeted aisle way until he reached the side of the pilot—who also happened to be a droid, making Dagos the only living being on board.

"How much longer?" He asked the pilot droid who was nothing more than a big grey rectangle plugged into various computer consoles. Dagos was not very trusting of this big grey box that had presumably made hundreds of not thousands of safe flights a year for Force knows how many years. Joran had told him pilots needed a soul as much as they needed eyes and the great ones needed balls more than anything else. The pilot droid did not answer. It had never said anything. Dagos had BeeDee interface and provide the coordinates and then they had been flying.

BD-NRG spouted off with a few bleeps and bloops

"Thanks buddy."

As they made their approach, Dagos' mouth fell open. When Caltin had mentioned an "island sanctuary." Dagos mind immediately thought of something secluded, small, inconspicuous. Something a hermit would be happy habitating. This however was a Karking palace. He was not at all sure he hadn't punched the coordinates wrong and been taken to the Queen's home. They circled the island three times while the pilot droid communicated with the tower and it never once got less impressive.

When they finally set down Dagos departed the shuttle with BeeDee perched on his shoulder and a large pyramid shaped object in his hand, he'd brought nothing else with him save the very trendy clothes on his back.

Onemildly long cart ride later, Dagos was at the door of the biggest house he had ever been to. Ringing the bell he hoped Caltin was home… or he tried to.

Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor

Be careful what you wish for.
“Never look down on anybody unless you’re helping him up.” – Jesse Jackson

This is the life.

What could be better? The sky was a magnificent blue. The water was crystal clear and the temperature was amazing. This is what he missed from Naboo, but was so much better, especially since Chrysa was playing with her new little Aackdog puppy “Talabak” It was few and far between that a Jedi can enjoy a day off. This day and age even more than the time he came from. So when the opportunity was there, the two of them took full advantage of it.

Liram was on the opposite coast with his “significant other”, the woman wanted to decorate the house so he was using “Admiral’s privilege” and assigned combat drills that he did not have to be a part of. That made Caltin wonder about Jax. He could not sense anyone anymore since his “change”, so that made him wonder about the Maverick…

... he’s probably being a bum right now…

The ring at the door was unique. He’d never heard his own doorbell before.

Hi Dagos… long time no see.

TAG: Dagos Terrek Dagos Terrek

resonant-staff-hilt-lit-6.png

"Vanguard" (Secondary - Long Handle)
0cf9376e75158d86a4aaeac9fb408128.jpg

"CONSERVATOR" (Primary - Long Handle)
HK-88 Robes, Battle Armor,Toraynor-Henkan(mind crystal added) Advanced Jedi Utility Belt
Starship: Spectre, (NC-1000 X-wing (Jedi Variant) in the hangar, Dilorian, and Bike both in the cargo bay, the late Karki Eusith's Armor, Shield, Temple Guard Lightsaber mounted on the wall)
Sanctuary Island

Here in front of him, massive frame filling the doorway was Jedi Master Caltin Vanagor. Dagos could not help but feel small compared to the Jedi Master. Caltin was not only a giant physical presence especially compared to the teen but his aura, just his general vibe was something unmatched in Dagos' experience. Even the Master's reputation was immense and the list of legendary feats that could be attributed to him grew and grew.

"Hey, Cal. Uh Master. Sorry. I-I hope I'm not interrupting. Chit. You know I probably should have tried to contact you or something before just showing up here and and…" he sputtered, stammered, blurted and ran on all at once. It was actually impressive how much of an idiot he seemed right now.

The droid beeped something chastising.

"Sorry," he said, tilting his head to look at the little guy on his shoulder. "BeeDee this is Master Caltin Vanagor." The droid chirped a greeting to the Jedi Master. "Master, this is BD-NRG."

Dagos sighed.

"Master…Cal…I don't want to take up too much of your time, I just thought I should do this in person." Dagos held out the pyramid to Caltin. "I don't think I can keep this. Chit, I never even figured out how to get it open or turn it on or whatever." Dagos had learned enough to know that the object he held was a Jedi holocron, well he knew that because Caltin had told him as much himself but Dagos wasn't a Jedi any more and he hadn't been for a long time now. It wouldn't be right to keep the think when it could potentially help someone who deserved it.

"Sorry Cal."

Well, hello there “BD”

As if on cue, BB-55 came rolling around and looked excited to see Dagos. On top of that, HK-88 walked towards the two… three… four/

“STATEMENT: Master. I will be conducting my hourly patrol of the island. I will be on comms should you need me to return.”

Wanting to sigh because it wasn’t necessary, but not wanting to deny the droid his “fun”, Caltin just nodded.

Thank you HK.

Turning his attention back to Dagos, who looked starved, the big man shuffled him in.

There’ll be none of this “wasted time”. You look hungry. Come and eat. you look like you haven't had a good meal since before the last time I saw you,

He wasn’t asking. Bringing the kid and his companion into the kitchen where he could sit at a counter, the massive Jedi Master and part time gourmet whipped up a huge salad and portioned it out for the three of them (remember, Chrysa is outside with her new puppy) and put a bowl of what looked to be some kind of meal down on the floor. He initiated a conversation that was not anything anywhere near what Dagos was talking about to get him to open back up and find out where this new direction was coming from. Once they were done and everything was cleaned up, Vanagor looked at him for a moment, touched the upper left side of the holocron to activate it and simply said.

Let’s go for a walk. I want you to see something.

They didn't go far, just "up the street" actually, to another house. Smaller, but still nice.

Doors open, keys and everything are on the kitchen counter. You can move in when you're ready.

The big man had almost forgotten that he had already picked this out for the kid... until seeing Dagos reminded him of it.

HK-88 Robes, Battle Armor,Toraynor-Henkan(mind crystal added) Advanced Jedi Utility Belt
Starship: Spectre, (NC-1000 X-wing (Jedi Variant) in the hangar, Dilorian, and Bike both in the cargo bay, the late Karki Eusith's Armor, Shield, Temple Guard Lightsaber mounted on the wall)
Sanctuary Island

What did he just say?

"Caltin you're not serious right?" No. He couldn't be. There's no fething way. Move in? Here, Caltin's family…estate…compound…island thing? No, it just couldn't happen, it didn't make sense. Why in the galaxy would Cal even want that?

"I-I have a place already." Dagos' "place." Was a tiny one room apartment on Ossus, unfurnished, no carpet, no kitchen, no bath. He'd spent the last year sleeping on a hardwood floor surrounded by piles of his things, taking odd jobs to be able to afford never paying his rent on time. Lost in a cloud of spice all that chit had stopped meaning anything.

The droid chittered and chattered on his shoulder.

"I know it's better than our other place." What isn't "but we just can't. Caltin I could never pay for a place like this and I really don't think I deserve a place like this even if I could."

That was oddly expected.

The kid was not looking to take anything out of turn and, as always, he was hard on himself, too hard. There was more to this though, the bloodshot eyes, the sunken face, the slight jitters. He’s been on something and the Force was not needed to notice it. He may not be in an “altered state” right now, but his life is not together and it needs to be. Normally Caltin would let the kid walk his own path but he called him “Family” just as much as he did Jax Thio Jax Thio .

Yeah? Do you have another place? Sell it. Break your lease. I’ll give you the money if you need it. This place? Paid for and furnished. Just get your own food, or stop by when Chrysa or I cook.

Nudging him into the doorway, he kept going.

I know you have your pride, and that’s cool, but you’re family. FAMILY. Frell, even Jax… if he ever gets his head out of his ass is still as such. He has a place here too. Family looks out for each other.

Offering a fist to BD who probably had no idea what he was doing, so he stopped, and laughed.

Take BD’s advice. You’re staying here. All I ask is that you keep whatever “habits” you have had out of here. Okay? I can’t have my Padawan using.

Sanctuary Island

"…I know you have your pride…"

Do I?

Pride had never been Dagos' weakness. No, that had been his brother. Every time they would spar no matter how well Ragos' started, no matter how far ahead he was of Dagos in a given competition, he could be baited into fighting with his heart not his head. Dagos would, could, and had set his pride aside and maybe that was why he lived the way he did. Alone, forgotten, unneeded, unwanted.

Dagos flinched a little when Caltin mentioned that Dagos should leave his "habits." In the past. Dagos didn't really hide his spice use, chit, it was only bush, not even the hard stuff but as it had been since they first met, Dagos did not want to disappoint the Jedi Master.

"Okay." Was all he said apparently agreeing to move in.

"You don't have to worry. If your Padawaan comes around for whatever reason, I won't be a bad influence."

Yeah, what Caltin said had shook him. It was meant to. There was so much turmoil in the boy’s head that he needed some level of consistency so that meant that he needed the kick in the butt that he was going to get. Even if he didn’t want it.

Get cleaned up, get settled in and get some clothes on. Meet me back at my house for dinner and then get a good night's sleep.

Patting him on the shoulder, Caltin slowly went to leave, but not before saying…

We’ll talk about who is who’s Padawan then. After all, you forgot my holocron at the house.

That should get him wondering.

Sanctuary Island

"Get cleaned up, get settled in and get some clothes on. Meet me back at my house for dinner and then get a good night's sleep."

An argument started to leave his lips but instead came out as "thank you, see you soon for dinner."

Once Caltin had gone, Dagos stripped from his shuttle-worn clothes and threw them into the washing unit before throwing himself into a shower. For the first time in a long time as he let the steaming hot water wash over his face and body he let his mind just wander where it would.

He thought of home on Nar Shaddaa, of busted lips, black eyes, and bruised knuckles but also of his brother. By The Force he missed Ragos. A familiar sense of shame burned in his belly.

He thought of his first few months with the Jedi. The resentment he felt for being forced there, the barely controlled anger he took out on the other learners. He thought of white-haired Aayla Shan and the animals they rescued, all of whom were most likely lost in the great fire that consumed much of Kashyyyk's shadowlands.

He thought of The Serendipitous Chance and how he found BD and lost a hand. He thought of his adventures after. Finding an ancient relic, facing off with a monsterous murder pirate, wrecking his speeder.

He thought of Cato Neimoidia and of his friends or those he thought were his friends, had hoped would be his friends and then he remembered why he spent so long trying to forget.

Once he and his clothes were clean he and BD-NRG made their way back to the main house. Going around back toward the sight of smoke and the smell of something delicious Dagos found Caltin working behind the grill cooking up something that seemed downright delectable.

"Hey Cal. Hope you don't mind that we didn't knock."

Dagos was back and he clearly looked to be in better spirits than he was when he got here. That was important, it meant that he was more open to what they needed to talk about. He may not want to have this conversation, but he needed it even if he didn’t know it. His “friend” or “protector” or whatever he was “Joran” was actually a descendant of Vanagor… spitting friggin image and was a bit of a prick. The thing is, he was still “family” and Caltin felt that he owed it to that to watch after Terrek.

Dagos was a good kid, just needed some kind of stability.

Hope your hungry…

There were a few other people there, they were all conversing, Chrysa included, some of them even walked over to welcome him.

Everyone, this is Dagos, Dagos this is everyone. He’s going to be my neighbor and new Padawan.

Smirking as he did not look up, Caltin thought to himself.

That ought to knock him on his butt.

Sanctuary Island

Dag was so wrapped up in shaking hands, saying hello, and trying to learn names that he misheard Cal say that Dagos was going to be his new Padawaan. When 'hellos' turned into 'congratulations' Dagos became even more confused. There was no way Caltin actually meant to take him on as a learner, right? There was no way that the way he would tell him was in front of a bunch of strangers with no chance to decline.

"Master, I—I don't know what to say. Thank—thank you, but I don't really think you'd want me as a Padawaan." He said, trying not to look at anyone.

The well-wishing.

The congratulations.

The confusion.

Everything worked out the way that it was supposed to.

No, I’m not and have not been looking for a Padawan. The reason being is that I have considered you to be my student since I gave you my holocron.

He shrugged.

Let’s be honest though. The Force has a sense of humor and you think you are at your lowest right now, and it brings you back to me. The thing is, your personal issues you have going on. They need to be settled. I’ll help you however I can, but you need to straighten up on that.

There was no emotion in his tone, just matter of fact. Dagos knew the big man more than well enough to know if he was angry anyway.

It’s often when looking in a mirror when we are blinded. Kid, you have the potential to be a Jedi that makes more of a difference than I could ever hope to make. You just have to begin to believe in yourself like others believe in you.

Sanctuary Island

He almost laughed out loud. Almost. Caltin deserved more respect than that though. There was no one around to have any faith in him. They'd moved on without him, not even noticing he was gone. He tried not to blame them, they had more important things to deal with he knew that and yet…

He still has faith. Even if you don't. A familiar voice in his head reminded him.

He's wrong. He told the voice

Are you going to tell him that?

Caltin Vanagor has been a Jedi almost sixty times longer than Dagos has been alive, it could be possible the man knows what he is talking about.

Dagos looked at the Jedi Master.

What if I fail…again?

Put your pride away and do what has to be done.

In this moment he realized the voice he heard in his head was Joran's

"I won't let you down, Master."

Since his “Connection ret-con” for lack of a better term, Caltin could not sense turmoil, expressions or feelings in others, no matter how hard he tried. It was something that he was working on, but the big man realized just how much he relied on that in the past. It was okay though, as this gave the massive Jedi Master the opportunity to work on his “people skills”, it’s been a slow process, but it’s worked.

To a point anyway…

He could see the facial features which suggested that the kid was very conflicted. It was natural, so he waited until Dagos would speak up. He just hoped that the kid would not make a claim that he would not let the big man down.

Oh well.

Holding up a dismissive hand and then putting it on his shoulder, Caltin shook his head.

No, it is I, who will not let you down. I know what it’s like to have no one there to guide me when I need it the most. To give me sage advice or a verbal kick in the ass. I’ve been in that position, Padawan, with two different Masters. I won’t let it happen to you. I had to wait for you to approach me, but now that you have… I won’t fail you.

Sanctuary Island

Last edited:
"Let's agree not to fail each other then." Dagos said with a half smile extending his hand to shake. Dagos was keenly aware of the eyes of the other guests who were watching the exchange and did his best to ignore them and keep his eyes locked on Cal's…on his Master's. It would be strange having a master again after so long but it felt right that it would be Caltin. Caltin reminded Dagos so much of Joran and not just because they were mirror images but because both men seemed to have an interest in Dagos living up to his potential and a desire to help him be the best he could be.

Caltin could decree that he would not fail Dagos and Dagos could respond in kind but really it came down to Dagos not failing himself…again.

He was still unsure of himself. That would be rectified and he would be able to learn with some level of stability. No more trying to "hustle", he would earn his keep, but Dagos had all of the potential in the galaxy. Caltin saw this the moment he met him.

Alright then. Enjoy my hospitality and enjoy yourself. Starting the beginning of next week, we will get to work.

The kid needed a few days to get settled in.

Sanctuary Island

"Thanks, Cal."

Dagos would in fact enjoy the jedi's hospitality. In this moment or maybe the one before, or maybe when he had walked the long path from his new home to Caltin's, perhaps even before he had stepped on the shuttle that brought him here, he made the choice to commit to this fully, to be more than a Jedi name but to one in truth, to give his whole heart to this life and nothing else.

Things had gone wrong before and for all his desire to blame that on things beyond his control, being here and choosing to be trained again proved that he was in control even if only a little.

Dag filled a plate and his stomach and for the time decided not to go look for peace but rather let it surround him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom