Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don’t sense any deception…

The cat was a creature where simple emotions drove behaviour. There as no secondary human brain to confuse matters with logic and reasoning. The Padawan had suggested an emotion and it simply triggered the appropriate response.

A mouse? A ball of string? The what didn't matter, the cat was curious and fortunately it wouldn't kill it.

Once it had climbed into her pocket, Corvus let out a soft chuckle. "Good work. Simple always works best. As does something believable and ideally something the recipient would want to do. If my pocket were on fire, it would take more than curiosity to drive the behaviour as other emotions and instincts would override it."

"So know we move up to a human brain. Same idea. I'll generate a strong emotion - happiness - which is linked to a memory. Follow the emotion to my mind and there will be an added bonus for us both."

Corvus closed her eyes and focused on that memory, knowing the emotion she'd be sharing. "The human brain is more naturally defensive than an animal and a Force-sensitives even more so, so I'm purposefully lowering my guard."

[member="Zylah Dvale"]

Zylah's emotional state was once more one hard to hide. She felt like bouncing up and down while clapping, out of sheer excitement that she'd pulled it off. However, that wouldn't have been very Jedi-like of her. Instead, her body simply shook slightly with amusement. The second trial came when she saw Prudence's tiny body vanish into Corvus' pocket. It was hard not to break out into a loud 'Awww'.

Zylah attempted to calm herself down a bit, and refocus on being serious, as Corvus started talking. The Arkanian nodded in understanding. It made sense. It also made sense that this was the way to go when influencing animals, and not something like a human. However, she couldn't help but wonder... "Can this be used to influence humans, and other intelligent species as well? To make them more inclined to be receptive or dismissive towards certain proposals? And if so, is it ethically wrong for a Jedi to do this? Or would that depend on the situation?" another way to view that question was, to which degree could a Jedi claim to 'know best' what should be done, and use the Force to act on it, despite the consent of the other. It wasn't mind control, but Zylah felt like it would still fall under the category of manipulation. If so, was that wrong? Did the ends justify the means? It wasn't that she would actively use this ability to get what she wanted, but in case situations arose where it could potentially save lives, or even bring systems under the control of the Republic, it would be nice to know how far she could go to preserve peace.

Once that had been answered and dealt with, Zylah moved on to the next task. It was a bit of an intimidating prospect, trying to lock minds with the Grandmaster, as she had done with the kitten. Repeating the process she'd done before, Zylah calmed her mind and allowed the Force to flow through her. She was getting the hang of this now. Like she had with Prudence, she locked on to the emotion, and extended her own presence as she swam up the river towards it source. As Corvus was intentionally projecting a strong emotion, it shone as a bright light, easy for Zylah to locate and latch on to. She assumed it wouldn't be this easy without the help. However, this allowed her to get a much needed understanding of the process, to the point where she knew what to practice on herself after this lesson. Corvus showed her the path, it was up to Zylah to learn how to walk it.

It was a strange feeling, going on this mental journey. Zylah seemed to digress less this time around, able to focus on the main current, and not get diverted off into streams that broke off from the main river. On the other hand, this river was bigger, and again she was swimming upstream. This current was stronger than the last, but somehow Zylah felt like a more competent swimmer. She took her time, however, but she was slowly finding her way to enter where Corvus was trying to guide her. Though it was probably not necessary for her to announce it, Zylah said "I'm there"

OOC: Sorry for being slow! I've been in the process of moving for the last few days, but I should be back to regular speed now.

[member=Corvus Raaf]

Corvus could sense the Padawan’s excitement and had to smile. Such enthusiasm was entirely justified.

And to aswer Zylah’s question, Corvus aid, “This is the first step towards mind-trick. This is a more subtle influencing approach. And you’re right, context is key. I’ve used it before to gain information. If you want to know where someone has hidden a key, give them a prompt that they might have lost it. They’ll pull to the surface their memory of hiding it. Then you can see where it is for example.”

“And a Jedi would never use it for personal gain, just to aid a mission. In your heart you’ll know if it is right or not.”

And then she sensed Zylah's presence in her mind and heard her words.

‘So you are,’ said Corvus, but no words were spoken, they went straight from Corvus’ mind to Zylah’s via the link the Padawan had just created. ‘In future, this process will take but a fraction of a second and you’ll be able to communicate this way. But be gentle always. And the more you communicate with someone this way, the easier it becomes and the further you can connect. Strong emotions can be felt from one planet to another. Broad ideas shared on the same planet. But conversations like these tend to be restricted to very close proximity.’

‘Now I want you to find and view one of my memories. I’ll think of it now and you simply need to look for it.’

Corvus remembered the recent Council meeting and the last few moments where she was delighted that her sister was accepted into probation to become a Jedi – having left the One Sith.

No worries :)

[member="Zylah Dvale"]

Corvus' reply was a very interesting one, and she was glad she'd asked. She had never considered that one could trick someone to think of certain memories, and then access them. Zylah had thought memories belonged to those involved, and knowing that others could access them through the Force was a scary thought. Although, in their case, it might be very useful. She trusted that if she ever came in a situation that called for it, her training would help her decide whether it was the right move or not.

Zylah could hear Corvus' voice, but she knew her lips didn't move. It was spoken through their recently established connection, and it was Zylah's first time experiencing something like this. It sent a little shiver down her body, thought mostly out of excitement. It was working! She wondered how she could communicate back. Needed she only think about the words? Wait, if that was the case, could Corvus hear Zylah's every thought now? Her mind must've seemed a disorganized mess, her thoughts swirling around, on what Corvus had just said, on the prospect of someone having access to her mind, and what they might find. Various memories temporarily resurfaced as a result, mostly embarrassing ones, the ones she wouldn't like anyone to see. It was almost enough to break her focus, but it was as if thinking the very word 'focus' aided with just that. She remembered her training, and the Force calmed her. I hope she didn't hear any of that... Zylah thought, finally calm and collected after the initial shock had passed.

Yes, Corvus. Corvus? Is this thing on? I will do that now. She tried to project the words, though not even sure if Corvus could hear her. Normally, she would've said 'I will try to do that now', but she remembered something Seraphina had said about trying and hoping, as opposed to doing and believing. She wasn't sure if Corvus had witnessed the previously chaotic mind of the Padawan, but if she did, she hoped it hadn't annoyed her. Rather than worry about that, she set her mind to the task at hand. Accessing memories was something she'd never done before. Through the connection, Zylah investigated, probing along the surface of Corvus' mind. She was being as subtle and careful as she could. Eventually, she saw what Corvus was talking about, it was the most prominent one, her current thought process, and it shone brighter than the other threads.

Diving in, she felt as if she saw through Corvus' eyes, witnessing the event as she had remembered it, sharing in her emotional state as she had experienced it. Was it... The Jedi Council? Yes, they were holding a meeting. Someone else was there, someone Zylah didn't know of, but someone dear to Corvus. She was becoming a Jedi? She was too old to be starting her training now. The woman wasn't untrained, but she wasn't trained a Jedi... The questions rose in Zylah's mind, as she tried to understand the memory, what it meant, and what the lesson of it was. She assumed Corvus hadn't shared that one specifically at random.

[member=Corvus Raaf]

Corvus sensed the confusion from Zylah. ‘Rest assured a Jedi would not invade your thoughts unnecessarily. All I sense now is what you’re pushing to me. I could be invasive and sense thoughts you’re keeping to yourself – but I won’t. It would be totally wrong in my opinion.’

‘And you’ll feel my attempting, which is something we’ll come to soon. A non-Force user probably wouldn’t sense you were there unless you were rough.’

‘And yes, I can hear you in my mind. And you’ve experienced the process of accessing another’s memories. Sometimes they are straightforward, other times less so. But we shall progress now. I mentioned protecting the mind was important and so it is. Sith will often use your mind against you, so you need to know how to close it down, to protect it from implanted thoughts. Thoughts alone cannot hurt you – but they will seem real if you allow them access to your mind. Once you realise they are an illusion, they will disappear. True Sith magic – and few Sith know this aspect – conjured up real foes. But we will deal now with a simple attack. One to either take knowledge or implant an idea.’

‘So relax and I will look to enter your mind. You need to build a defence – a bit like a Barrier in a way. Some imagine solid bubble, others build walks of brick or Durasteel, others imagine a fluid bubble of liquid, or some computer related defense. You’ll know what works best for you.’

Now Corvus sent a tendril of snaking water into Zylah’s mind. It had a sole intent, to enter her mind and find a memory.

[member="Zylah Dvale"]

Up against the keen insight of the Jedi, it was hard to hide insecurities. However, Corvus's voice calmed Zylah, much as it had before. Just because they could didn't mean they would. Jedi only used their powers when the situation called for it. Fear of those powers being used against her by the people she surrounded herself with did not serve any other purpose but to curb her learning. Before she truly understood this, she would not truly be able to be at ease, and open herself completely to the Light Side of the Force. She was getting there though. While putting up defences against the many enemies of the Jedi was of course a necessity, constantly having your shields up was exhausting.

Zylah relaxed, and prepared her mind for what was to come. Now she was on the defence, actively searching for any signs of the intrusion of a presence other than her own. Then she felt her. Before, she had visualized water in order to focus, and she did so again. She imagined herself enveloped by a protective bubble of water, using Corvus' suggestion of imagining a fluid bubble of liquid. She tried to call upon the Force, projecting the desired effect, and allow it to flow through her and aid her in her purpose. Was it working? Would it stop her? Would it slow Corvus down? She would soon find out. It was hard to make a full defence without holes. She also struggled to have the bubble reject Corvus' presence, rather than letting it swim down the watery current, becoming a part of her shield, and gaining access that way.

Should Corvus' tendril bypass Zylah's attempted defences, and locate a memory, she would find a recent one, involving Corvus' own Padawan. It was of Kaia and Zylah, practicing their Shii-Cho together in a friendly spar on the grassy fields outside the Academy on Ossus.

[member=Corvus Raaf]

Corvus prodded at Zylah’s defenses. As she pushed, so the bubble merely displaced and Corvus was unable to gain access. Corvus approved on the concept and wondered how it was structured and so changed her approach – as any attacker would.

She withdrew her attack and returned with a needle instead. She would see if the bubble could withstand being punctured or simply penetrated – would Zylah improvise or amend her defence to deal with the new attack? Only time would tell.

[member="Zylah Dvale"]

[member=Corvus Raaf]

She was holding her own. It had surprised her at first, though she was quick to adjust her thinking, lest surprise turned to doubt, which in turn left her open. Was Corvus holding back? Probably. She had the resources to overwhelm her if desired, Zylah was sure. Yet that was not what this lesson was about.

When Corvus withdrew, she half-expected the attack to be over. However, she came back. This time her approach was different, and Zylah was not prepared. The bubble bended, getting pushed backwards before suffering a small puncture wound. She had imagined preparing herself against a wave, equal pressure on all fronts. When the attack came in the shape of a needle, small, sharp, focused, her defence would have to be restructured.

It was too late to prevent the needle to bypass her defences, that had already happened. But could she cut it off? Would Corvus be able to withdraw what knowledge she sought then, or would this deny her access? The bubble was like fluid water. Now the water froze, as Zylah imagined it hardening. Water rushed to the hole, to fill it, then froze it shut. If provided the time to do so, Zylah would attempt to add another layer to her defence, if possible. Outside the hard, frosty layer of ice, Zylah desired to add another layer, mimicking the defence she had before. A soft layer, of fluid water, shaped like a bubble. The idea was for it to serve as a first line of defence. Secondly, she imagined the greatest weakness of her ice-inspired defence was brute strength, ramming against it and crushing it. To counter this, the first layer existed to cushion the blow. It required a lot of focus, and Zylah was operating outside of her comfort zone. She got steadily drawn into this battle of minds, becoming less and less aware of her surroundings.

Sorrysorry, again @.@ Been trying to catch up with all the skirmishes.

Inside Zylah’s head she would have sensed Corvus’ amusement. Not a negative version of the emotion – but a positive one. Zylah was doing precisely what Corvus had hoped – she was improvising.

‘Excellent. What would follow now would be trial and error. More attacks, different kinds of attacks. But it is unlikely you’d ever face a prolonged threat unless you were restrained. But any casual attempt to access your mind – unless they’re a Sith Lord – should be rebuffed by you quite easily. Or a prolonged effort in a duel for example.’

‘And if all else fails, there is a sure-fire way of defending yourself. The use of the Force in this way – or Sith Magick for that matter – requires concentration. It’s not an Ability you can truly multi-task with. So punch them in the face. Or head butt them, or knee them in the groin. It will be enough to break their focus and release you – even from an Illusion, which is the most common Sith level Magick you’ll face. A few of their Lords can manifest real spirits and monsters – but they are undoubtedly the exception.’

Corvus withdrew from Zylah’s mind. “Now, you’re probably going to know what I’m going to say. It’s about practice. No more and no less. But I suspect you’ll need a training partner – and Prudence here needs a friend, so consider it a win-win solution.”

Corvus gently fished the kitten out of her pocket and handed her to the Padawan. “And she’ll make sure you don’t have a mice problem in the dormitory too. So, before we part, do you have any questions?”

[member="Zylah Dvale"]

Somehow, Zylah had a feeling that Corvus approved of the way she had handled things. Not a moment later, that was confirmed as she once more heard her voice. Zylah didn't interrupt with her own voice, but Corvus would probably be able to sense the mental equivalent of her nodding in understanding. It was a great comfort to know that her mind was a safe place, unless she should bump into a Sith Lord. Corvus had shown her the process, now it was up to Zylah to practice it. She would do her best, and it was not a lesson she would soon forget.

She felt Corvus withdrawing. It felt odd, as if she'd grown used to the presence of another. Suddenly hers was the only voice in her head. It almost felt a little lonely. Zylah nodded, not put off by the thought of practicing this repeatedly. She was used to drilling things over and over. It wasn't fun, but the way she felt after she had done it was great. That was part of her motivation.

When Corvus hinted that she'd need a training partner, Zylah's smile had widened. She looked forward to working with the kitty in the future. So consider it a win-win solution. Zylah's face looked confused, not really understanding what was going on. When Corvus handed her Prudence, it dawned on her. The Padawan gasped, eyes wide open in surprise. She had no words. The gasp transitioned into what was likely the widest smile she had ever made. Zylah threw herself at Corvus, giving her a sudden and tight hug. It was probably not the most appropriate thing to do, but all sense of restraint had been lost in an intense rush of excited happiness. She couldn't control herself. Of course, she was very careful not to harm the little kitten. With one hand she held Prudence, the other was used to huge Corvus - assumed she didn't push her away.

"Really? I can keep her??" she almost didn't dare to believe it. It was almost too good to be true. "Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou" She felt like a young child again. Prudence was held in both of Zylah's hands now, purring as the kitten received another dose of petting. "Umm, no questions, I think" she said finally, once she had been able to calm down a bit. At least she thought she didn't have any questions. If she did, she was quite incapable to think of any in her current state. Best day ever.

[member=Corvus Raaf]

Corvus smiled. Zylah was a credit to her Master and she'd trained both at some point in her life.

She watched the young Padawan leave and closed her eyes. She had a short while until her next lesson and so would fill the time in Meditation. Heji tal was her current favourite form when time allowed and so she surrendered completely to the Force and soon achieved a state of restful clarity.

[member="Zylah Dvale"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom