Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question hyperspace weapons?

High Commander of the Lilaste Order
recently started watching a youtube video explaining the possibility of a Hyperspace missile, altho it sounds interesting for sure how would one incorporate such a thing into this thread? if it's not banned that is. been on my mind for a little bit now so I figured id ask and see what others had to say. personally I don't see the practicality of it.

Laphisto Laphisto

That's a good question. Hyperspace weapons are an interesting concept that's been bandied about for a while. As far as use in Chaos goes, however, I would regard them as effectively a superweapon.

Hyperspace weapons would allow you to attack a target from far far afield, Sitting in the safety of your own base while your target would have no way to fight back. Worse, the potential destructive power of a hyperspace missile, for example, is far in excess of what is available by conventional means.

So while they are not explicitly banned on the board, they fall under the blanket of a super weapon and so can only be used in annihilations or staff-approved events.

High Commander of the Lilaste Order
makes sense yeah, the thought of making a small missile with like a class 10 [or smaller] hyperdrive has been running around in my mind for a little while lol considering it would be small enough to be used by fighters or something a little bigger. the use i was thinking for it was along the lines of anti-ship. build a missile with a small hyperdrive onboard point at the ship and fire.

the idea of using it against a planet didn't even cross my mind till now

I will just present this: Galaxy Gun

Although the warhead was the truly destructive part, it highlights all the points John Locke John Locke makes in a neat little package.

This has piqued my curiosity however, what would be the response to a person simply using a fighter as an ersatz hyperspace missile? So for instance in a fleet battle, someone decides to just delete an enemy warship with their own ship. What about using them as a short-range kinetic bombardment-style weapon?

I've little to no interest in actually using any of these ideas, but Laphisto Laphisto brought it up and opened the conversation and, like him, I have had some of these ideas rattling around my brain for a while.

Matt the Radar Tech

ꜰɪxɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ʀᴀᴅᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴜꜰꜰ
I will just present this: Galaxy Gun

Although the warhead was the truly destructive part, it highlights all the points John Locke John Locke makes in a neat little package.

This has piqued my curiosity however, what would be the response to a person simply using a fighter as an ersatz hyperspace missile? So for instance in a fleet battle, someone decides to just delete an enemy warship with their own ship. What about using them as a short-range kinetic bombardment-style weapon?

I've little to no interest in actually using any of these ideas, but Laphisto Laphisto brought it up and opened the conversation and, like him, I have had some of these ideas rattling around my brain for a while.
Welcome to the biggest problem TLJ caused to canon.

Personally, I remain on the side that refers to legends, where starships have shields that prevent hyperspace-inflicted damage (mainly focused at providing protection against impacts while traversing hyperspace) - but also having the unintended (?) side effect of:

tz1D7RP.png

I personally don't subscribe to the Holdo maneuver in any way, shape or form, as a method for attacking using hyperspace methods. All I see is the plot hole of: why didn't the rebels just make automated kamikaze starships, to launch at every SSD that came near them? And yes, interdictors exist, but so do HIMS to bypass that and still launch droid-ships from other sectors.

Here's a quote from someone on reddit that sums up the instance for me fairly well:

KaimeiJay: Or, the Holdo Maneuver doesn’t make sense, it doesn’t have to make sense, and we can stop trying to rationalize it because hyperspace-ramming will go back to being a statistical impossibility after its one use in a poorly-written Star Wars movie.

But, that's just me.

Onith Onith

These are good questions, but as it's an element of RP it comes down to, as with all things, communication. On Chaos it is the defender who calls both hits and damage so if you wanted to use a tactic like that you'd need to talk to your opponent and figure out the details of that encounter.

Site staff only get involved if there are issues in RP that you can't resolve via talking to one another unless a site rule is broken or we're talking about a codex or factory submission.

Vesta

V
Matt the Radar Tech Matt the Radar Tech it was explained that the Raddus had experimental shield technology (stated in the film, directly before the Holdo maneuver occurred). It is implied to the viewer that this experimental technology was what enabled the ship to do this and that other, conventional, ships would be unable to do so.

That being said there's examples in the original trilogy of ships flying into star destroyers and the like without colliding with a shield so honestly it looks more like the legends comic is more erroneous than anything else. There's a reason George Lucas stated that legends was not canon while filming the prequels.

Matt the Radar Tech

ꜰɪxɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ʀᴀᴅᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴜꜰꜰ
Matt the Radar Tech Matt the Radar Tech it was explained that the Raddus had experimental shield technology (stated in the film, directly before the Holdo maneuver occurred). It is implied to the viewer that this experimental technology was what enabled the ship to do this and that other, conventional, ships would be unable to do so.

That being said there's examples in the original trilogy of ships flying into star destroyers and the like without colliding with a shield so honestly it looks more like the legends comic is more erroneous than anything else. There's a reason George Lucas stated that legends was not canon while filming the prequels.

KaimeiJay: Or, the Holdo Maneuver doesn’t make sense, it doesn’t have to make sense, and we can stop trying to rationalize it because hyperspace-ramming will go back to being a statistical impossibility after its one use in a poorly-written Star Wars movie.

Honestly, the whole concept - while visually cinematic and a 'wow' moment - was poorly thought out and written.

There's a lot of handwavium in Star Wars, no doubt, but this inclusion - while 'viable', technically, with certain shielding, yes - just opened far too many cans of worms and questions to be worth the moment. I think, anyway.

For example, the Raddus was completed around 4 ABY... so why didn't the resistance, in the 26 or so years (or once the FO rumors began) after that, continue to develop the same shielding for other MC85 Star Cruisers? Or other flag ships? Why didn't the Raddus hyperspace dive into starkiller base, in TFA? Surely that would have been a more worthy sacrifice, since it would have saved 5 whole planets worth of people? And on and on.

Hopefully that explains my stance on it, since it was made for visual impact over substance or logic.

And quite frankly, I would accept any legends material as canon over Disney!canon 9 times out of 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom