Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Hyperlane Mechanics

I think many people can agree that map mechanics and the map 'game' has been stale for a bit with a lack of updates or engaging mechanics. Although the Story(tm) is always a good thing and should be a focus, the Map and Chaos's Map Game is one of the things that makes it unique and stands out from other roleplay sites. To not give it some TLC is to refuse to recognize what makes Chaos so special.

Now everyone has heard the tired and repeated suggestions (cough map wipe cough) but after a brainstorming sesh I've come up with an entirely different suggestion. One that engages with one of the core mechanics of the Star Wars Universe but is hardly recognized on Chaos: Hyperlanes. This change to map mechanics would make expansion and general map movement along hyperlanes much easier, changing how factions in general engage in expanding territory, invading other factions and leading to a more dynamic map.

Basically, here is how updated mechanics featuring hyperlanes would work:
  • Along adjacent hexes connected by a hyperlane (ex: Alakatha and Woostri hexes along the Rimma Trade Route) a faction can use one 'hex gain' (through a dominion, populate, junction etc.) to gain two hexes.
    • In this hypothetical situation, if a faction bordered the Alakatha hex did a dominion for the Alakatha hex, they would gain the immediate hex adjacent to Alakatha along the Rimma Trade Route which would be Woostri.
    • This would only work for hexes adjacent to the cloud.
  • If a faction's cloud is adjacent to an opposing factions cloud, they can claim up to three hexes of an opposing faction along a hyperlane so long as all hexes are adjacent.
    • i.e. if the Enclave bordered the Allianex's Iktoch hex, if they won an invasion they would be able to claim Iktoch, Wielu and Denon in a single victorious invasion.

This would make the map a lot more dynamic than its current state and change how factions engage with the map without having too much of a revamp or doing something drastic like a map wipe.

sɪɴɴᴇʀs ʙʏ ᴅᴇᴇᴅ ʙᴜᴛ ʀɪɢʜᴛᴇᴏᴜs sᴛɪʟʟ
TLDR ;; Potential for more strategy. it's neat.

So basically it would be faster paced but only along hyperlanes? I can see how that would make things interesting. Adds some strategy to it all.

Hyperlanes are those white lines on the map, right? not the dotted lines but the semi-labeled ones like The corellian run in enclave space?
If so, than I think a lot of factions would currently be unaffected. Such as the HSC for example, I don't see a lane through their pace.

It makes for an interest double edged sword. a faction like the HSC is safe from the rapid expansion of hyerplane based invaders, while the SJC for example could potentially be "Blitzkrieged" along their hyperlane, But they can also do the same to neighboring factions, like the NIO. So of course, placement is everything.

Early factions, like the Enclave's earliest moments as a major faction, could either launch themselves forward quite suddenly using hyperlanes, or pick an area with little to no hyperlanes in order to expand slowly, but relatively safe from the blitzkrieg types.

All in all, it's a change that'll be interesting to play with if implemented, and I know a lot of invasion strategists will love it

Warmaster Nyâsh

W
One could consider a MF-only tool with charting and submitting a new hyperlane inside their controlled space.

As mentioned above, maybe someone who wants it fast paced cannot have it because of lacking hyperlanes. Looking especially at the Outer Rim and the Unknown Regions where there are few to no hyperlanes.

Arguably it stands in the room what happens to them once the MF is down and maybe one could say that they will be forgotten or some follow-up objectives during PvP need to be fulfilled to gain the intel on the hyperlane.

Various options. Very good idea indeed. :)

No new map mechanics are being considered at this time.

If staleness is a problem, look inwards.

More mechanics have been added in the past 2 years than all other 8 years combined.

Hyperlane mechanics are neat, but they won’t get people posting. Drama and energetic leaders get people posting. Mechanics can HELP with that, on occasion, by creating situations that create drama and energy… but it has to be simplistic, if not automated. In this environment, we rely on user comprehension, which has increasingly become more difficult over the years to rely upon without constant Staff adjudication.

You say hyperlane mechanics, Admins tell me new Mandates, all I hear is feature bloat. Boring. Unoriginal. Tedious.

You want change, it happens violently. A map wipe does that, yes, but thats my rip cord to pull and I’ve told this community time and time again that I’m not doing it a second time. Boring. Did it already. Boo if you weren’t here the first time, we’re not doing WOW Classic.

So what’s another climactic change to make?

Well, one is to turn the website off, lmao. That’d be gravitational. Unlikely though, the only other alternatives or spinoffs are being ran by the Chaos Incel Community Lite because their Alpha Dog nuts got clipped here. Except for thestarwarsrp or Chronicles. But, it doesn’t cost me much to keep Chaos going, so it’s pretty much going to exist as long as I’m alive.

Another calamitous idea to shake up “the game” is to just have every Major Faction delete itself. That one’s easy because you don’t need to plead with Staff to do it, you can just implement it yourselves. Right now, seconds after reading it, you could shake up the whole Galaxy. A whole ass faction could disappear over night, causing a ripple effect of new stories in the Galaxy trying to explain it.

But zero people will do that, because it doesn’t fit their narrative and humans don’t like to give up control.

tldr; mechanics are boring, feature creep in last 2 years is astronomical, no more are planned att.

I feel this is viewed with rather aggressive approach which is, to my eyes atleast, rather away from reality.

If you wanted the map more alive you could summon the hordes of players and people that lurk about in an unorthodox engagement on the "map game" which is, at this point and throughout my time that i have seen the place, the "VIP" zone, while any other form of entity on the forum (solo players, minor factions etc) are simply ignored in all form and manner.

Although I had said it before, to allow collaborations of minor factions engage in map game, without actually claiming territories (Rebellion update) would actually step up the game as it will give an unexpected threat which, atleast in my case, would love to see. However, last time i brought this up i was told the only way any minor faction wanted to impact Map Game should do it in the, atm, unrealistic as far as IC is concerned, Rebellion mechanic.

"Drama and Energetic leaders" bring people into the front scene, thats true. Just like aggressive attitude and elitism turns people away.

The thing remains, Map Game can adopt a plethora of mechanics, so long that the Board is up to twist the so far "Status Quo" that is cemented. Been snooping about 2 years, keep seeing the exact same picture on the map, more or less. Unless I made a MF at the time, I would be by all means exiled from map game, cause "rules", even when i had about 8 people under a banner and a good story to go about.

BUT

"u gotta be with the big boyz" or make unrealistic Rebellion.

If things grow stale, one should look inward. Oftentimes answers lie in simplicity, not in outdated reigns alone

"u gotta be with the big boyz" or make unrealistic Rebellion.

Or engage with smaller groups for slowburn rp

Or engage with private thread rp

Or engage with the massive economy sphere and trading introduced just this year

Or engage with heists and boost rp that was curtailed towards small groups just this year

Or engage with Minecraft Factory singleplayer mode, as your post history on this account details.

Or engage with worldbuilding in the Codex

Major Factions get the most spotlight because they’re the winning champs of rule of cool for 10 years now. They’re the prominent players in the pvp game. They get some of the coolest toys that detail group play, because they are highly regulated unlike minor factions. What they gain in cool, they give up in freedom. Every single Major Faction Owner and Admin is held to higher standards and is answerable to Staff and myself.

It’s the age old debate that isn’t solveable, and this discussion is for a mechanic for them, nothing more.

As for my aggressive tone, it’s not changed in 10 years and people still put up with me. If people ain’t cool with it, there’s an Odyssey or two out there you can visit with leaders who’ll lick your booties to get you to stay.

Or engage with smaller groups for slowburn rp

Or engage with private thread rp

Or engage with the massive economy sphere and trading introduced just this year

Or engage with heists and boost rp that was curtailed towards small groups just this year

Or engage with Minecraft Factory singleplayer mode, as your post history on this account details.

Or engage with worldbuilding in the Codex

Major Factions get the most spotlight because they’re the winning champs of rule of cool for 10 years now. They’re the prominent players in the pvp game. They get some of the coolest toys that detail group play, because they are highly regulated unlike minor factions. What they gain in cool, they give up in freedom. Every single Major Faction Owner and Admin is held to higher standards and is answerable to Staff and myself.

It’s the age old debate that isn’t solveable, and this discussion is for a mechanic for them, nothing more.

As for my aggressive tone, it’s not changed in 10 years and people still put up with me. If people ain’t cool with it, there’s an Odyssey or two out there you can visit with leaders who’ll lick your booties to get you to stay.

Just like you can play in private threads, with whole different setting of galactic conquest, simply hosting it within the forum, under a Faction clause that you are not in synchrony with the Chaos map.

Just like you can play in another forum, without any of these rules applying

just like you can play in dice-rolling system, without any real chaos rule apply.

I fail to comperhend why we play this ping pong and, although not surprised, I fail to understand the personal insult, while I was the one who "wanted" to do things, and was effectielly admin blocked from it. Add the unnacceptable attitude of the judge staff, and board awhole, it got me so frustrated, that I prefered other solutions straying off-topic.

I see complains about map game and stuff, and everyone seems to collectivelly ignore the thing that drove me, and many others away, resulting to the "boring" state now. I do not speak on anyone's behalf but mine, so this is where I will halt this reference.

This is a community. As you have said yourself, about 2 years ago, when I saw the post, this is not a democracy. Makes sense, it shouldnt be. But it shouldn't be a regime set to amuse certain proportions who silence all other opinions on bans, simply to feel cool. Because yeah, when I go ahead and fill in the foundry and when I tag the judge his reply be "This was not a request", it gives a big time slave vibes, which I am not really into serving. And i have no trouble sharing the screenshots on which this happened, although I believe the Ban hammer will be a much more traditional solution to my "rebel" attitude.

So no. I dont like minecraft. I have gamed hard on Conan Exiles tho, cool setting and you get to build stuff, thanks for asking.

Edit: Music for the vibes

Its not an insult to point out you like the Factory. The rest of your post reads “kinda weird, bro”. Saying stuff like “slave vibes” when you get a detailed and reasonable explanation from the creator of the website is a smoking gun that you just don’t know how to engage in social interactions through text without finding ways to feel victimized or insulted.

You can make your own suggestion or feedback post to air these grievances. For this one, again, you’re wildly offtopic. Speak about hyperlane mechanics or make a new thread.

My point, as a community manager across platforms and topics, in an 8-year span, is that Hyperlanes are easy to implement, through Faction communication.

There is in no means urge for hard rulesets to make things interesting. I, for once, was in contact with a MF members, for the possibility of an attack on a planet as a Rebellion, through mutual agreement, not rule-based thread.

Hyperlanes can be established by MFs themselves, printing astrographic charts on themselves, to establish impact and create volatility instead of just hex-hunt.

So, my point on hyperlanes is, they are completely irrelevant with below statement:

Quote:
No new map mechanics are being considered at this time.

If staleness is a problem, look inwards.

More mechanics have been added in the past 2 years than all other 8 years combined.

Hyperlane mechanics are neat, but they won't get people posting. Drama and energetic leaders get people posting. Mechanics can HELP with that, on occasion, by creating situations that create drama and energy… but it has to be simplistic, if not automated. In this environment, we rely on user comprehension, which has increasingly become more difficult over the years to rely upon without constant Staff adjudication.

You say hyperlane mechanics, Admins tell me new Mandates, all I hear is feature bloat. Boring. Unoriginal. Tedious.

You want change, it happens violently. A map wipe does that, yes, but thats my rip cord to pull and I've told this community time and time again that I'm not doing it a second time. Boring. Did it already. Boo if you weren't here the first time, we're not doing WOW Classic.

end quote

So, i am not off-topic. The suggestion is mechanics on hyperlanes, which I stated my side, as you did yours, extending to the said irrelevant topic, which I did not discard, but addressed, as it feels to be the main problem here, as you widely described.

Mechanics on Chaos scale should be little to none. You know how you take hexes. You know how you lose them. Thats all Admins give a thread about.

Besides that, its up to the MFs to expand on it. Wiping is irrelevant in both topics. You cant cancel game when someone is winning. Otherwise its pointless.

Given my Athysian character being used for posting here, I would preffer the word Corsair xD

I walk in, grab some loot and walk out like my spikey ships like it.

Besides

To be an actual rebel, you kinda gotta believe in the cause.

(solo players, minor factions etc) are simply ignored in all form and manner.
The day you open minor factions and independent (writers, not players) is the day this site dies.

Ever heard the words "pick on someone your own size" or how about "don't pick on the autistic kid" ? Minor factions and Independent writers\writer groups being attacked by entire major factions or having to bow to their whims because their home is in a hex with some color splashed over it it frankly disgusting.

They should be ignored. If Major factions are the ones giving up freedom, than minor factions and the unaffiliated are there to GIVE freedom.

end quote
qiE7yWK.png

If you're on mobile you can also type
Code:
[quote]Insert your quote here[/quote]

And like... Tefka is right tho? If the map game is boring, it's the MF's job to make it fun. Look at the Maw? They took they took the stagnation period of cold war and boring politics 2 years ago and have since built the map game into a dynamic battleground where old enemies are uniting to fight a rampant horde akin to the mongol invasion of europe!

Even factions on the other side of the core aren't safe! And then you have the internal storylines as well, such as The Enclave's rule over non-mandalorians and the tensions between both cultures.

Or how about the cold war between the GA and NIO? senators being kidnapped, Planetary rulers (Moffs ? I'm not sure which terms they use) are being assassinated. There's actually a lot going on rn if you just take a second to look into it.

As much as I love the idea of hyperplane mechanics, No, we don't desperately need them. What we need is for activity checks to swap out some of the largely inactive factions and let the ones with a functioning member base duke it out.

And for the independents and minor factions to be left the hell alone in the process. Doing anything else to them is just scummy.

And for the independents and minor factions to be left the hell alone in the process. Doing anything else to them is just scummy.
I feel you interpreted my point the wrong way. I didnt say the MF should have means to subjugate minor factions. Quite the opposite. I suggested that, should the minor factions manage to pull an organization sufficient enough to matter, as per my ancient post on Raid Threads, I addressed the Minor factions being able to randomly hit on Majors, depriving them of hexes. This is an act based on pirate logic, which does not mean a MF can abuse a mechanic to bully the little ones. Quite the opposite. The little ones are the bullies in my case xD

And like... Tefka is right tho? If the map game is boring, it's the MF's job to make it fun. Look at the Maw? They took they took the stagnation period of cold war and boring politics 2 years ago and have since built the map game into a dynamic battleground where old enemies are uniting to fight a rampant horde akin to the mongol invasion of europe!
My arguement with tefka was that your view is how i perceived things, while he approached it in a "kill factions OOC and reset the map" way, which it apparently expanded to a whole other thread too. Unsure it wasnt a jest tho, so theres that.

You want change, it happens violently. A map wipe does that, yes, but thats my rip cord to pull and I’ve told this community time and time again that I’m not doing it a second time. Boring. Did it already. Boo if you weren’t here the first time, we’re not doing WOW Classic.

So what’s another climactic change to make?

Well, one is to turn the website off, lmao. That’d be gravitational. Unlikely though, the only other alternatives or spinoffs are being ran by the Chaos Incel Community Lite because their Alpha Dog nuts got clipped here. Except for thestarwarsrp or Chronicles. But, it doesn’t cost me much to keep Chaos going, so it’s pretty much going to exist as long as I’m alive.

Another calamitous idea to shake up “the game” is to just have every Major Faction delete itself. That one’s easy because you don’t need to plead with Staff to do it, you can just implement it yourselves. Right now, seconds after reading it, you could shake up the whole Galaxy. A whole ass faction could disappear over night, causing a ripple effect of new stories in the Galaxy trying to explain it.
see here.

qiE7yWK.png

If you're on mobile you can also type
Code:
[quote]Insert your quote here[/quote]
i am still unsure why I actually turned so primitive on that part. We can all blame my subaccount being a backwater pirate backward society spawn and settle it xD

I suggested that, should the minor factions manage to pull an organization sufficient enough to matter
We already do though. I have personally played a part in rebellions that ultimately killed major factions. The MU versus DWC for example.

I've also participated in minor factions that went to assault TSE facilities way back, butchering their workers and sending an entire deep space research station, being used to make new weapons, drifting into space while all of it's internal structure slowly burned away and eventually exploded.

I've also participated Dominions where a minor faction served as the opposition in the way of an MF, and Invasions where minor factions chose to stand with one of the two or three opposing MFs, and even more than one minor opposing MFs, themselves and everyone in rebellions.

And these are just times I've been a participant. There have been, and will be, plenty more. It's not a matter of being unable to, it's just a fact that most don't.

These are the ways a minor faction with guts, not reputation, but guts, can and have and do fight major factions. Opening it up anymore breaks the system. Then the debate becomes who can affect who and how much, and attempting to answer that question with anything more than we already have, only leads to more trouble until Minor factions are no longer viable.

Even if i misinterpreted the end goal here? The result is the same.

My arguement with tefka was that your view is how i perceived things, while he approached it in a "kill factions OOC and reset the map" way, which it apparently expanded to a whole other thread too. Unsure it wasnt a jest tho, so theres that.
Flexing your 2 years, and you still haven't figured tefka out? ;)

If there's one thing I've learned since joining in 2018 it's that Tefka says all kinds of wild shit because it's funny. and it is. "Jest" or not, he knows that it'll never happen. That's why there are joke announcements and suggestions alllll the time. That's literally just Tefka, hasn't changed a bit since I got here.

i am still unsure why I actually turned so primitive on that part.
C; I just wanted to be a bit of an ass, but show you smth useful at the same time. Glad to see you took it all in good fun

Even if i misinterpreted the end goal here? The result is the same.
Not really. My statement doesnt go against dominions etc involving minor factions. It is more that the Rebellion mechanic is, as far as my gameplay had gone, rather awkward. The third dominion of a faction with three eyes, can be challenged by the crow's legs if the nails are cut 3 inches more than the MF's shortest nose approach. For me, rebellions should be the equilevant of an invasion, but the minor faction simply kills the hex, instead of taking it. To have the weird mechanic around it is for me unrealistic clause that doesnt really aim anywhere but make the thing inconvenient.

I've also participated in minor factions that went to assault TSE facilities way back, butchering their workers and sending an entire deep space research station, being used to make new weapons, drifting into space while all of it's internal structure slowly burned away and eventually exploded.

I've also participated Dominions where a minor faction served as the opposition in the way of an MF, and Invasions where minor factions chose to stand with one of the two or three opposing MFs, and even more than one minor opposing MFs, themselves and everyone in rebellions.

And these are just times I've been a participant. There have been, and will be, plenty more. It's not a matter of being unable to, it's just a fact that most don't.
Man, my Athysians, back in their time of glory, made it to the front page of the Maw's invasions, as an allied entity being the essential vanguard of the offensive :p Everything is possible. But.

Flexing your 2 years, and you still haven't figured tefka out?
was only active for about 7 months or so. Then i left due to mentioned events. Only returned as a beta run due to a friend challenge xDit
C; I just wanted to be a bit of an ass, but show you smth useful at the same time. Glad to see you took it all in good fun
its a forum about glowsticks and pewpew things. You cannot make me see anything seriously xD The idea is to have fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom