Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Hyperlane Bonus

So I noticed recently that our galaxy has features on it that aren't being used: Hyperlanes.

These are important features in the lore as these are charted astrographic regions of space where travel has been commoditized massively, making planets that fall on Hyerplane intersections massively profitable to trade. Essentially, any place you can chart a course to in the galaxy can be reached there faster along these space highways, rather than roughing it through the rural backroads of space.

In that spirit, I propose that we make these galactic features important to the map game. Something as simple as any Dominion/Junction/etc. completed in a hex with any number of Hyperlanes gains one bonus hex along one available Hyperlane.

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
If it wasn't a pain in the ass to implement, I'd have suggested to expand on this in a major way. Include astronomical phenomena like nebulas and other things on the map that have a tangible effect on the map game.

Got a nebula in one side of your hex? Can't invade it directly and need take the long route around.

Asteroid field? Takes longer to dominion, but also is a natural defense against fleets, which means invasions take longer.

Stuff like that.

Since all of that is unfeasible though, I dig this as a little thing.

If it wasn't a pain in the ass to implement, I'd have suggested to expand on this in a major way. Include astronomical phenomena like nebulas and other things on the map that have a tangible effect on the map game.

Got a nebula in one side of your hex? Can't invade it directly and need take the long route around.

Asteroid field? Takes longer to dominion, but also is a natural defense against fleets, which means invasions take longer.

Stuff like that.

Since all of that is unfeasible though, I dig this as a little thing.

I would unironically love to play Stellaris play by post lol

Thanks for your input!

Can I ask a subversive question in response just this once and get 100% no bullshit response, no attempt to dodge or funny your way out, no virtue signallers coming in here to try and save u.

Fatty Fatty Arage Bao Arage Bao

What’s the date of your last post in an Invasion/Annihilation?

Separately do junction/dominions.

Tefka Tefka

Invasions/Annihilation: Attempted Annihilation of Korriban (wanted it to blow up)

Dominion/etc.: Darkwire's last attempted Dominion of Emberlene prior to going Minor, Darkwire Dominion of Wann Tsir is the last completed one I was part of

Not sure about dates, don't care enough to go looking. Aside from that though I like to watch 0.0

I was just curious is all, I often wonder the metrics behind these suggestions without digging.

I doubt we’ll inflate rulesets with nuance like this proposal, but a conversation is on the docket for Staff to discuss moving away from hexes this year and getting a new Galactic map post-initial Underworld changes, probably late-spring midsummer. If we decide to push that, we’ll open up new hyperlane contests, expand the Galaxy map, etc on etc on etc.

And probably have another town hall and bring in MFOs for their input.

Underworld is the hype train right now, but the faction scene is always on the mind.

Somewhat on the same topic, I would love to see a way that custom-made hyperlanes, asteroid fields, nebulas, etc could be added onto the map.

I understand that it would be difficult to do, but I think it would be a neat add.

It also brings up a problem with Fatty Fatty ’s suggestion, as people could sub multiple asteroid fields around their cloud, making them harder to invade.

If this were ever to be a thing that could be added, I would hope that people would just sub out astronomical objects to add to the narrative, not to hex-block people.

Okkeus Dainlei Okkeus Dainlei I may be wrong, but as I recall it is possible to sub in Hyperlanes, though I don't recall if they can be added to the map. I presume so, since the Mara Corridor (IC created) was added a long time ago, and I feel like I see a lot more hyperlane connections than usual (though I may be seeing things).

If that is a feature, though, I hadn't anticipated the ability to game it like that. Building Hyperlane subs to get free hexes etc., not sure about the other astro-features like asteroid fields, etc.. I was only operating on the assumption of using what was already on the map.

Nonetheless, you bring up a good point of potential second and third order effects of giving game bonuses to things that can be submitted by writers. That can't really be fully avoided though.

Thank you for your contribution!

imo if you're going to say "I hope people don't abuse this game logic and just stick to story" then it's probably a bad suggestion

I say this not to be an nerf herder but to remind you not gamifying it is currently the status quo and always an option.

imo if you're going to say "I hope people don't abuse this game logic and just stick to story" then it's probably a bad suggestion

I say this not to be an nerf herder but to remind you not gamifying it is currently the status quo and always an option.

It's not really a concern I have really, gamers will game. I don't personally mind it, it was just something I hadn't considered that Okke brought up.

Piggy packing off the other suggestion being talked about right now for "Major Faction Income", maybe worlds that fall on Hyperlanes could produce more UC so I can least make this suggestion relevant to the current hype train lol

I have no illusions that the suggestions will not be particularly relevant until the full suite of Underworld features launch, but I hope to at least put ideas into your head.

If Hyperlanes are able to be custom made and then also create a source of income, then that's likely to become a crossed line in the future. If unable to be custom made, sure, I think that's for the best. But the idea of custom made Hyperlanes created either inside a faction's territories or on the border, even close to, to then boost UC income is sort of... meh. Just creates a mechanic that can be exploited, and is likely to be exploited more so than not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom