Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to you get into more threads without compromising character?

I'm pretty decent at mathematics. If I carry on at my current posting rate, it will take me 40 weeks to get to a thousand posts. When I look at the top of the posting 'charts' I realise that is nothing - and this is my main character!

What I'm looking for is probably less advice and more opportunities. I'm a member of a Faction and post in all of their open threads - so I'm unsure how I can be more active without branching out. They key to that though is that I don't want to just appear in random threads for the sake of it. But I would like to post more and develop this character - who has just been acc3pted as a Disciple for the First Order. So his abilities are quite basic.

If there are any Sith out there that want to talk to him about why First Order and not more conventional Sith, or Jedi that might try to sway him (or fight him) or bounty hunters that might want to earn a few credits, or a love interest.

I imagine you've got the idea by now. I post most days and want this character to really flourish.

Kriel Firin said:
so I'm unsure how I can be more active without branching out
Start your own open threads, do private threads with others, join other open threads that could fit your character's agenda, and so on.

[member="Kriel Firin"]

Advice? Run threads with people you love to thread with. Find threads to basically "hang out on" and explore your character's quest. What are your quests, you ask? Why thank you for doing so, my good man.

1) Emotional quest: everybeing looks for happiness. How do you look for it? How do you get it?
2) Physical quest: Gurl gotta eat, right? So you gotta quest to make that money and get those goodies. it doesnt have to all be money, like when your at work and you think about your significant other Or family.
3) Spiritual quest: Looks like you got this one down. Look for spritual fulfillment, how you do it.
4) Social quest: We ALL want social fulfillment, its part of life. Go for that. Be it club hopping or strolling in the gardens, do what you do.
5) Romantic quest: James does this one a lot. We all want love, you look for it. Find it. Oh hush that nonsense about Jedi obstaining from love!!!! Hush that nonsense, the only Jedi to not have a lover at one point or another was Yoda, and even that I am still not convinced!
6) Importance quest: Jedi seek to become masters, crime lords seek to gain money and power. We all wanna feel important, how do you find it? Look for that.

There are more, I am sure, but I am sleepy. Hope it helps, cheers!

[member="Kriel Firin"]

I tend to go HAM with characters and their development.

I know you said you don't want to branch out, but what worked for me was literally starting private thread after private thread with random people.

I also started several public threads and joined public threads that seemed to be okay for this char.

In the span of four months, I managed to get kaile from 125 posts to over 1200 posts, with over 33 threads and a whole heck of char dev.

But the BEST thing to do?

Find a good writing partner. I wouldn't have been able to do all of the posting and char dev with Kaile if i didn't have [member="Kurt Meyer"], [member="Asmus Janes"], and [member="Jamie Pyne"].

Braith Achlys said:
Start your own open threads, do private threads with others, join other open threads that could fit your character's agenda, and so on.
Thanks. I started two open threads - and nobody has posted to either. One was looking for saber crystals and the other was for basic DS training. Both were, I thought, topics that people would want to join in on.

But I won't give up and will keep plugging away, thanks. :)

James Justice said:
[member="Kriel Firin"]

Advice? Run threads with people you love to thread with. Find threads to basically "hang out on" and explore your character's quest.
As a new writer, I don't have people I love to thread with - as nobody is threading with me - it's a Catch 22 situation. I have plenty of ideas - just a lack of writers who will participate - hence this thread.

But thanks to both for your advice. I guess I'm in a different Catch 22 at the same time. Why invest time in a new writer that might disappear tomorrow? I guess if I just keep posting, things will pick up. Glass half full and all that jazz.

:)

Kaileann Vera said:
[member="Kriel Firin"]

I tend to go HAM with characters and their development.

I know you said you don't want to branch out, but what worked for me was literally starting private thread after private thread with random people.
Sound advice again, hopefully someone (or some people) will come forward as a result of this thread :)

[member="Kriel Firin"]

Yes man that's the spirit. And don't hesitate to jump in with other open threads that seem to suit your character. Also look for the "LFG" threads like this one.

Life hack: I have found some of my best employees that way for Justice Shipping. ;)

I would totally do a thread with you expect two things: IC-ly James Justice is the total opposite of the first order peoples. He is all drinking anarchy and crime. Probably wouldn't end to well. ;) second is I am genuinely booked to the gills for the next month most likely with threads and threads and threads out mah ears man.

But hey, don't give up hope. You will totally find your people. You will find your grove and you will OWN said grove. You hang in there man. The first few are always the hardest. But when you break it in its like a golden sweet spot without equal. :)

[member="Kriel Firin"]

Also note that post count is not an indicator of IC activity or post quality. I have well over a thousand posts but less than two hundred of those are IC posts. Maybe even less than 150.

Additionally, I'd prefer to see quality posts and RPs than quantity. A good example is, I see many cases of a character up for promotion who has a gajillion threads but each thread has less than five posts. I'd much rather see a handful of threads that contain hundreds of beautifully crafted posts.

So, don't be too worried about post count. Start writing, write with other people, and things will develop naturally.

(Also, go outside your comfort zone. Write things you may not have initially thought would fit your character. You never know what you'll find. That's how Asemir found his apprentice and it's why he's in his current faction.)

[member="Kriel Firin"], Keep in mind too that you don't want to get overburdened with active threads. Nothing burns out a muse quite as quickly as having to keep track of multiple storylines, where they fit into your personal timeline, who you owe what to, and how to keep them all interesting without repeating yourself. You might think about what the threads relate to: training, romance, personal development, invasion/dominion, and make sure you're not doing too many of the same.

[member="Jack Sparrow"]

You know that I know that you know that I know that we know cause she knows what we all know my friend ;)

Sir, I do confess its quite challenging when we are in the same threads. Both Jack and James are so sexy, I can only tell them apart by the names overhead.

brad-pitt.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom