Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Write the Good Guy?

Jay Scott Clark said:
1. To start. Let's begin with your experience over your philosophy. Inside the genre. Tell me how you have actually written your Good Guy characters in the past. Their Character Traits, Profile, and Core Beliefs? Their Goals, Needs, and Expectations? Their Background, Adventures, and eventual Fate? ...Anything that you have actually written yourself.
I have had many Jedi characters that I have tried to use in the past, but I never seem to keep my muse for them as everybody thinks that the Jedi are all the good guys. I never really like to play the "good guy" because if he is just some kind of Paragon to the Order, everybody tries to be perfect Jedi and stay within the boundaries. I seem to play alot of the characters that have a bad past, and try to make good of it. (always liked the stories of the Lone kid who uses all that he can do to something good, but ultimately falls, or will become something else entirely.) The only constant Jedi Character that I have played would have been Xander. he is currently a Knight. But even then, he falls slightly as he is romantically involved with a Rogue Force user with the One Sith. Really all that I can say for the "good guys" is that in order to be a good character, they need to have some kind of story that threatens and challenges who they are within their faction, and who they are as a person.

Jay Scott Clark said:
Then. You can speculate and be philosophic. Following your real experiences, tell us as much as you want about: What makes a Good Guy, Good. In Star Wars. In your opinion.
What makes a good guy is a very broad question. If I wanted to, I could write a multi thousand word thing about how a good guy is a good guy. But I have to go to work in about a half an hour. So maybe a different time.

What I will say, is that the good guy will shine for a time, and either die in shinning armor, or live long enough to see himself a villain (Yes I am pulling that from batman. sue me.) or you have the person who is just a simple man, trying to make his way in life, and does one good thing, to lead down a string of actions that will make him a Hero to some, and a Villain to others.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Maria Natalja said:
My goodness, Jay, stop that! All you do is starting these threads which make us think about who is good and who isn't! :p
I know right. It's like... These headaches with pictures? Ugh. ...What do they call that again? Oh right. Thinking. Yes, thinking.

God I hate that. I'm so mean. :D :p

Writing the good guy is one of those things that can be very subject depending on interpretation. In some case it is the do no harm, defend the weak, always tell the truth, never lie/cheat/steal/deceive, and yada yada yada.

Then you get into the bit of a grey area in terms of looking at it from the respective of the Soldier. Can one really be called the good guy when ones own purpose in life is to take the life of another? Is following orders enough to make you a good guy? Can one person really decide who lives and who dies? In this respect an Imperial Soldier can be just as "good" of a guy as the Republic Soldier as each are simply following the orders of their senior officer.

Once upon a time, I was fortunate enough to get to write the Green Arrow. Not the young, refurbished, goggled Green Arrow, but the older one, with the silly facial hair and a list of failures that stretched out over his entire life, including drug-use, infidelity, abandonment of children, and a general unwillingness to compromise.

Curiously, while roleplaying as Ollie, I was also writing as Captain Cold, a supervillain/antihero who, though not of the Emerald Archer’s rogues gallery, easily reflects an opposite number in the hero.

Both men have a deep resentment for authority and those in power, Ollie’s coming from memories of his past, spoiled rich ways as well as daddy issues, and Lenny’s coming from the drunken, physical abuse he suffered at the hands of his cop dad.
Both men represent an angle on liberal politics, Ollie with social welfare and Justice as Fairness, and Lenny with Union representation and a Jesse James “I’m only taking what’s mine” mindset

Both lives are tragic. Both lives are sinful. So, why is one the hero while the other the villain?

The obvious answer is their goals. Captain Cold leads the Rogues in robbing banks. All the Rogues come from similarly unfortunate lives, lacking in opportunity just as they were lacking in charisma, wealth, beauty, and intelligence, and had largely grown up to be old, out-of-touch, and unskilled. The world would have had them become factory workers, slaving long hours under dangerous conditions for little pay and no upward mobility until the day they were inevitably outsourced and pinkslipped with no benefits and nowhere else to go. They saw this, figured eff that, and all became bank robbers, stealing cash not for fancy houses or platinum watches, but for beer and stripper money – the essentials. They leave generous tips and occupy a morally grey area within the Twin Cities. So grey, that bars let the Rogues drink in full costume without issue. In DC Comics, all the great heroes and villains tend to be a reflection of their cities. With the Twin Cities being largely Blue-Collar, the idea that the Rogues express is the “Darkside of Unions.” They have a “Rogue Code” that asserts they will never kill women or children, and they’ll only kill cops if the cops shoot first. The Rogue Code is essentially a contract they have with the Flash that says, “If you walk the line, so will we,” with Captain Cold playing Union Leader/Enforcer. They are not expressly bad people, but look at what they’ve established here – a conditional agreement that allows them to act criminally with the same impunity as the corporate masters that would have exploited them until they were empty then tossed them aside as nothing.

Green Arrow, however, lives in Star City, a caricature of L.A. In Star City, the police are corrupt, the justice system wanting, the poverty and homelessness levels through the roof, and there are tons of rich people who either benefit because of it or couldn’t care less about it. Green Arrow, superhero-as-Robin Hood, confronts the unjust authorities, redistributes wealth, and rights social inequities. Typically he doesn’t kill anybody, but he’s done it before, and really, since when is a bow and arrow a nonlethal weapon? When you put a boxing glove at the end of it, I guess.
But really, what makes these two characters different? They’re both rebelling against an unjust status-quo, they’re both breaking the law to do it, and they’re both accepted by the Flash with a shrug and a “Eh, it could be worse.”

The difference lies in the fact that Green Arrow aligns with something that is transcendent, whereas Captain Cold aligns with the material, the temporary.
Green Arrow goes out and does what he does because there is something fundamentally wrong with a system that exploits people and ignores the suffering of others. Captain Cold does what he does because he feels he is owed something by society and he’s not about to live miserably. Captain Cold’s concerned only with personal satisfaction and survival. Green Arrow’s motivation is a concept of Fairness and Justice – transcendent ideas – and because Green Arrows aligns with the transcendent, though he had died, he came back. He always will.

This is a similar idea expressed in Star Wars. The Sith, through the worship of the temporary, the material (Power, control, mortality), they only understand Immortality as becoming a cyborg; basic mechanical processes maintained perpetually (Oil changes, battery recharging, eating, sleeping,etc)
There was an analogy the late, great Joe Campbell used to give in his lectures. Paraphrased:

You can say the lights are on. Now, in saying that, you can be either referring to the electricity powering the bulbs in the ceiling, or you can simply be referring to being able to see in the room. When a bulb burns out and the janitor comes to replace it, he doesn’t unscrew the bulb and say, “Well, that was my particularly favorite bulb.” He simply replaces it and, tada, the light is back. What we are discussing is a confusion between the light itself, and the vehicle for its manifestation.

Are you the vessel, or are you the Light?

The villain is just a vessel. The Hero is the Light.

But the story, the myth, isn’t just the Hero already knowing he’s the light. It’s his journey to recognizing it.

It’s rare that I actually get to write good guys, which is sad, because I definitely prefer it. I’m better at it. But frequently, I wind up playing villains because I feel the ones present are substantially lacking – primarily because there’s this “I don’t do Black and White” thinking, yadda yadda yadda, which paradoxically will cast Good Guys into this Absolute PARAGON OF VIRTUE and MORALITY role that everyone likes to collectively agree is unattainable, and thus, resign from rather than rise to the challenge to. This way of thinking tends to generate more Passively-Selfish Bad Guys, rather than actual Villains. These sorta Spikes from Buffy.

To say that George Lucas wrote in this “Good Guys wear White” and “Bad Guys Wear Black” binary is to have not seen the movie. I mean, one of the primary protagonists is a Kind Kid turned “Obviously Satan” turned Rad Dad. Another protagonist shot Greedo in cold blood in the middle of a bar when he came to collect on stolen merchandise and unpaid debts (Yes, this is debatable). And Luke is not without his own moral struggles (Darth Vader in the cave on Dagobah? Yoda tells him not to bring a lightsaber, as he won’t need it. Luke brings it anyway, then draws it on Vader before Vader even demonstrates aggression, decapitates Vade, then looks into the mask to find “OMG. THAT’S ME. IN MY FEAR OF DEATH, I HAVE A CAPACITY FOR WICKEDNESS TOO”)

I think the confusion occurs from our Godlike perspective outside of story. We name the hero “the hero” while aware of the ending, understanding the story as a complete entity outside of its own sense of Time. The fact of the matter is that Luke wasn’t the hero of the story when he blew up the Death Star. He wasn’t the hero as he trained to fight Darth Vader and battled the Empire over various terrain, suffered Lando’s treachery, or rescued Han from Jabba. Luke wasn’t even the hero when he battled Darth Vader and bested him in lightsaber combat. What made Luke the hero and at no point before is when he looked upon Vader’s shriveled, wormy face, reflected on all the aforementioned suffering, and rather than striking him down, forgave him.

In myth, all conflicts are Internal Conflicts, regardless of how much they look to be coming from without. Good and Evil has no place in the actual world – it is a measure of the individual and their closeness to their “ishta devata;” their personal Jesus; their true self. In Wolfram von Eschenbach’s Parzifal, Percy only failed not when he held to his duty, but when he ignored his heart to do it. Evil is something you inflict upon yourself.

Writing a good guy is about being tested, it's about being flawed, and it's about failure. In the end, however, the Good Guy rises to the challenge of making his or her self better. And this is meant in a very personal sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom