Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you handle Level 100 Syndrome?

How do you handle Level 100 Syndrome?

• Kill the character off

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • Retire them to NPC status

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Just leave them on the back burner - maybe I'll get interested again in a few months

Votes: 26 44.8%
  • Start a new character

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • Keep rotating between old characters so they stay halfway interesting

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Keep grinding on with one character

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Revamp the character a little - new appearance, IC name change

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Revamp the character a lot - partial retcon, change species

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Other (talk about it)

Votes: 7 12.1%

• Total voters
I know this is over two weeks old but I had a response and never got it out. Personally; I feel that when you get to that point you've got one of two things...

You either invest fully in their life and story (assuming you haven't already), or you slowly lose interest. There are perks to either, even the latter despite how it sounds. Primarily if you decide to invest fully you provide yourself with the opportunity to pursue avenues that are otherwise unavailable to most storytelling. Settling down, having a family, doing all those little things you see great writers do and ask yourself, "Why haven't I done this?" It's honestly a brilliant yet simple pleasure but it's not for everyone... Especially when those you're involved with have other interests or do things that you feel break the fabric of your character and because we've become so attached that can affect us emotionally.

So we get the second option, to simply allow ourselves to 'fall out of love' with our characters. That's great too because it can parallel retirement and builds suspense to the unwinding or even unraveling of plots and storylines. Those who view your character as their great rival might finally gain the upper hand or if you're the hero you might falter in the face of those you've beaten back many times before.

TL;DR Level 100 isn't a destination, it's a fork in the road.

Anja Aj'Rou said:
become so attached that can affect us emotionally
Which is why I no longer write Silara. (No, it isn't "level 100", because Silara is a pushover compared to most of the big masters on the board.)

I don't believe you can ever get to level 100. Thats the bad thing about the bottom and the top. Someone is always at the bottom. Someone always must stay on top.

Jak Skirata

J
It entirely depends on the character. I only feel I have two of these "Lv 100" Characters, Turin Val Kur and Gilamar Skirata. But now I've started rotating through other characters that didn't get used much and with my gaming PC out of commission I hope to have some interesting story time!

I am a little bit sadistic when this happens. I want characters to die. Or I just set them aside if they have reached the end of their development. Or just make a new character or start using old ones.

I would like to try out revamping these, though, like a lot of you (especially [member="Ashin Varanin"]) seem to do.

well maybe when they reach that kind of point, just hit them hard with something unexpected and take away a lot of what ended up making them that 100 status. for example, maybe a horrible accident, an untimely meeting with a bunch of baddies, imprisonment? strip them of wealth, title, infamy etc. have them fade into average status again and work on building them back up

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom