Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can we help smaller factions grow?

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Then I am sad to say my student: "You do not know me."

Now. It's just an opinion. The website as only one man sees it. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Community, as a whole, is all that matters. The Factions are just fluff.

Wholeheartedly disagree with you, Karen. Factions give purpose and drive characters.

Even in books there are factions. Frodo represents the Shire and his alliance with the humans, elves, and dwarves. Harry Potter represented Hogwarts. Etc. Everyone has a faction, and without one they have no purpose or drive. Speaking as a writer myself (I'm writing a novel, slowly but surely), every character has a faction and if they don't then their character is terrible.

So to say factions are fluff is false. I also don't care for the be tough on them nonsense. New things should be encouraged, not lambasted. That guy over at that guys craftshop acted like you propose and you know what happened? They had a mass exodus to here. There's something to be learned from that.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Kamon Vondiranach said:
Everyone has a faction, and without one they have no purpose or drive. Speaking as a writer myself (I'm writing a novel, slowly but surely), every character has a faction and if they don't then their character is terrible.
You're way out of line, Brad. That's a Ceel line. People who don't identify closely with factions -- Tahira Solo, Skye Mertaal, Lady Silencia, Jonathon Patches, Asemir Lor'kora, Archon Kaan, my own Bard of the Hyperlanes -- rank among some of the most complex and beloved characters around. I agree with most of what you said, but you need to moderate your words.

Not what I'm saying, but I see how it's interpreted that way.

A faction can be nothing more than a goal or purpose, shared with others or not. Even non-aligned characters have a faction. Take Radon for example. He was not aligned for a while (and wasn't going to be until you came along), yet he had a faction. That faction was Falleen and Lenne. It's not a faction in the sense that it's present on the board as a major or minor faction to be sure, but it is a faction nonetheless.

What I'm saying is that everyone has a faction of their own, something they represent, even if it's not a faction on the board. Your own Bard? He's a bard. Would he not then share common ideals with other bards or even, perhaps, news anchors? They both tell stories. They might not be a part of a faction here, but that's not to say that they aren't part of a faction at all.

I have my own character who's not part of a faction still. Sirada. But he's a prophet. Therefore he and other prophets have things in common. That's a faction without being a faction. It's a difference.

I would never tell someone their character sucks. I was pointing out that every character here has some sort of faction, it just might not be a major or board recognized one.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
I don't identify with my characters. So yeah. I don't care about Factions. I care about the Writers.

Now. Thats radical, I know. Since most people identify Factions with Characters. ...I don't. I identify Factions with Writers. Real people. Thats the heart of the Community. You can burn away all the characters. All the years of writing the same old guys and gals. Lose the threads, the history, and the paperwork. Turn it all to ash. Just. ...Poof. ...Gone.

You could kill every character and faction on this site. And guess what? You couldn't kill the RP. You wouldn't kill the website. ...Because the RP isn't about the characters and the factions. ...It's about the Writers. The real people.

Everything else is just... Fluff.

Now take that perspective. That perspective about people. And apply that to the Smaller Factions. Tell them it's about the people. That it's about the writers. ...Tell them to forget about the IC, the canon, the EU, and even about having things make sense. And tell them to just focus on having a fun time as writers. As just... Real people.

Then? Maybe we'll all see a difference around here too. ;)

This board is not: Republic, Sith, Mandalorian; because we are not our characters. No. This board is a community. Because we are our writers. We are real. And when you focus on what's real. You'll really, really win.

I wouldn't be here if we killed all the factions and characters. That wouldn't sit well with people.

So I disagree. People invest in their characters, just as they invest in a faction they love. Kill that, and you kill hard work and love.

Factions are important and should be encouraged. Worst thing that happens? They fail and people move their chars to a different faction. But to expressly discourage new factions with a tough luck mentality stifles creativity, and builds a negative image of the board.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Very well. But be careful. You can't 'invest' in what isn't real.

Good luck man. I wish you the very best. :D

Yes, you can invest in what isn't real. Ever read a book and identified with a character? You've invested in that character, and what happens to that characters affects your emotional state. It's the same with movies and RPing on the internet.

I have to agree with Kamon on this because if you watch a movie on some fake animal and you see that it lost it parents you feel sad. (rough example) if you invest yourself in something that gives you a feeling of being 'complete'. My character Darren was Faction less for a while because nobody else had the same ideals as he did. and now since I run a Faction with Darren (slowly run the faction) Some people have felt what my character is feeling. I play Darren as the person that tries to save his mother. In reality Im playing a character that somehow unites people from different factions. Darren has friends in the Mandos, Republic, Sith, and a other few who may be faction less. and I am making my own 'faction'

I put the marks around faction because they dont have the same ideals as my character and there for do not make an official faction. I think of a Faction as a person that unites people under one flag/symbol to make themselves known. A CAUSE is some one who unites people from places that are not thought of to fight for one reason, because they are friends/allies. NOT to further the group. but to further their friend and in return receive help.

----Now take that perspective. That perspective about people. And apply that to the Smaller Factions. Tell them it's about the people. That it's about the writers. ...Tell them to forget about the IC, the canon, the EU, and even about having things make sense. And tell them to just focus on having a fun time as writers. As just... Real people.---

I agree with that ^. Most of the factions I have been apart of were where I was able to meet and become great friends with a lot of people. It happened on the faction as well; the connection felt almost grounded within the board, because it was the place to go to 'hang out' with others. People use other things now--such as Skype--to get to know each other and sadly the faction doesn't have that importance anymore.

Just my opinion, personally speaking of course. I do wish a faction could have that activity/friendship again, cause I would definitely join :p

Factions are still about making friends, Middy. You're right it's gone to Skype to do that, but we're still about making friends. I know I am. A faction is greater when it's made up of friends who enjoy writing together.

Darren Onyx

D
Karen Roberts said:
Q: How can we help smaller factions grow? A: Don't. Be ruthless. It's all on them from day one to succeed. If they fail? Just say: 'Tough beans. Life's not fair. Maybe next time.'
What a great response from a Jedi. I have to disagree. We have to help but at the same time we have to add new rules that would show just how dedicated they are.

We don't need more rules. Smaller factions need to be supported, because just relying on the same few big factions causes a board to stagnate. Smaller factions will still come and go, but there needs to be an institution to allow those smaller factions to get started in the first place. However rules will not accomplish any of these goals, things like an advertising forum, the faction of the month, and maybe a "guide to building a successful faction" are the ways we can help the entire community flourish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom