Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can we help smaller factions grow?

Obviously, there has been some concern in the past on how to help treat this symptom of the community, and an idea was presented to allow a Faction Advertising forum. This hasn't been acted on yet, but hasn't been forgotten.

Outside of this idea, how can we help smaller factions who have met the minimum requirements to reach Major Faction status grow? Obviously the bulk of this responsibility is on the shoulders of the Faction Admins, but what tools could we provide to help them reach beyond the minimal requirements?

First off, I'd start by making sure new factions aren't initiated based purely on a single idea: that it's discussed first with the members (as we've seen a good deal of lately), and then not established until there's a solid member foundation. Whipping up a faction and then hoping people will join to help the faction achieve status ultimately doesn't help anyway - so think it through! If you've got an idea for a faction, GOOD. But don't create said faction and simply pray for participants. It doesn't work like that.

Moreover, have a game plan: Major Factions are characterised by having an ideology, preferably a plan for what they're going to do next. The Sith Empire and the Republic have always been about that ideological divide, one opposing the other - the Sith seeking to expand and conquer in order to rule, the Republic opposing them (though on somewhat more shaky ground, I do feel!). To whip up a new faction is good, but have a plan. Know where you want your capital. Work out if/when you'll make dominions. Work out where you're going. And, if you don't know, think! Or don't bother!

Also, frame your faction based on how it'll interact with the others: it's useless sparking a massive criminal Empire if you're entirely surrounded by people who want nothing to do with you. There's no point creating a massive expansionist empire if you're directly opposed by one that already exists and has it's eye on your territory. There's definitely no point whipping up a mercenary faction or Bounty Hunter's Guild if you're not going to interact with the other Factions in order to achieve something. A faction can't exist in a vacuum: have a plan for who you'll ally with, who you'll oppose, and when you'll sit on the fence and do squat. Otherwise you're just taking up space!

Now, as far as RPs are concerned, you've got to whip up something that gets everyone involved and has a reason, most particularly if it adheres to a plan. No point conquering an empty planet if you're just adding it to your mantlepiece for people to admire: what's the point of taking it? What will you do next? Where does it all fit into your grand plan for your faction? If you're just capturing it so you can say you've got it...just don't. If you're taking it in the hope that it might be interesting to another Faction and later spark an invasion...don't, because there's no guarantee of it, and you might just get ignored. If you don't have a good reason for what you're doing, and you lack a vision or a purpose for your Faction (other than 'to simply exist, because it'd be cool!), it probably wasn't a great idea starting one up in the first place.

After all, we're RPing a very dynamic galaxy. Things happen fast, groups clash, there are always political power struggles and there will no doubt be a fair number of wars in the future. If a Faction can't position itself to be involved with those...what's the point, again?

The idea of the faction advertising forum is a good one. I've been posting advertisements in this forum, and every so often I get a little interest, but not a whole lot. Advertising in a very obvious place is good because it allows new members coming to the board to see it, but it would be best served if the smallest factions got top priority over The Sith Empire and The Galactic Republic because those are basically household names. People coming here will see those and instantly go to join them. Putting them at the top would be a total disservice to the smaller factions who essentially would get ignored because they don't have the recognizable name.

As to much of what you've posted, Tirdarius, you're correct. However, TEC has done that. We have a reason for existence, have allied with the Republic, and have a non-aggression pact with the Mandalorians (I think we do, anyway, since that is what I hashed out with one of them via Janira). I even went and found a bunch of avatars people could use.

The stigma is, however, that we are mostly me (I only write Kamon and Janira in the faction, so whoever keeps spreading that rumor needs to stop). And then we have people like Jaxton going around saying we aren't a major or political faction just because he doesn't believe that we are. It hurts our image when he's saying that in a new member thread. With much thanks, Sirella put a stop to that. Right now I think little factions just get scoffed at by most people because most people are members of the bigger factions.

I don't know what to do to help us grow. I've talked to Jon in the past about how doing Dominions and being active helps us grow. Growing our place on the map helps us grow. But then I look at us, and see that we have about three to four members who rarely ever post. Our core members I am in contact with daily and count on them heavily.

I just don't know how to get more people like them.

Honestly, I think part of the issue is that we have too many factions and far too many alts per player - people get spread thinly, and then just stop posting, because who has time to keep up with 6+ characters at once and not post in just one thread at a time? If you're involved with a heavily-active Faction, the character that participates in that faction will be the most active, so the smaller, less-active factions (despite best intentions), get ignored. And you get a lot of people who love the idea but aren't prepared to follow through with implementation, so you get characters signing up who then...do nothing.

Me? I'd just limit the number of alts people could have. It might stifle creativity, but it'd force smaller factions to really establish themselves early on, and get people to think carefully about which factions they'll join. If I can have a dozen characters in as many factions...how many of those factions are likely to actually get somewhere?

It's just a thought :p Ultimately the issue we have around here is a truckload of characters available for a truckload of factions that never find any traction, because people are too busy with their main characters to support them. If your faction is 90% alts, you're going...nowhere, unless the writers are very dedicated. Let's face it, we've got way fewer actual members than the forum sometimes suggests, since a good 2/3rds of the characters here are alts. That means limited time, so only the major factions or the ones managing to draw a lot of player-based support are going to pick up a lot of traction.

If you look at the intro forum. Most of the actual new people coming in are joining two factions: The Republic and the Empire. If people can't keep up with characters that's fine. That's on them. TEC has a lot of alts, but the core of us (all alts) are active enough.

Alts aren't really the problem, it's that the big factions have more draw.

I gave the guys at the Hutt Cartel my very simple advice for making a small idea a big faction: marketability. Tirdarius hints at it, but I'll expand.

How *popular* is your idea? Let's take the Echani for this example. Small niche even in the Star Wars universe. Cool idea, though, but most people without an express interest in Star Wars EU wouldn't know about it. So let's go with... not that popular of an idea. We can still work with this.

What have you done to make your idea marketable? Images. Images, images, images. Not only do you need to dress up your faction using the software provided, but ***MAKE YOURSELF PRESENTABLE***. The less popular your idea is, the more pleasing to the eye everything that involves your faction needs to be. Your avatar, your role-plays, take it to the next level.

Are you being persistent? Now, this doesn't mean being annoying, but if I were a faction leader with a small faction, I'd be PMing every staff member once a week: "Hey, so I just wanted to hit you up, what options are available to small factions to be able to boost our membership?" Or I'd be leading topics like this very one. Or I'd be PMing the board owner. "Hey, so is there a possibility of my faction getting a Rank Title? I noticed you've given them out to other factions and respect the fact that you told me last week you only give out Faction Rank Titles to "established" factions, but I think you should re-evaluate your position concerning my faction."

Are you greeting new members? If your signature doesn't have a link to your new faction, you've already messed up. It's called passive advertising. Every comment you make is essentially an advertisement, and the more pleasant you are as a writer, the more reason they have to look at your ideas.

Are you a staple in the community? Most successful faction admins have good relations with the site staff. Why is this necessary? It makes it easier to talk. Introduce yourself. Be pleasant. Tell us when you have a problem with something, and we're more open to work with you. This community operates day to day on the backs of the Staff members who volunteer hours of their life for the purposes of entertainment for the community. Treat them with respect and dignity, and the same will be shared with you when you wish to discuss your ideas. Otherwise, you'll slowly turn us into DMV employees whenever you come knocking asking for something.

And lastly, advertising to your friends outside the community? Obviously, this is the big one, as we don't ask anyone to advertise SWRP - we handle that on a much larger scale for all of us. However, the most assured way to get your idea going is to spread the word yourself, and spreading it to newblood is the easiest way to go about this. Everyone loves hanging out with their friends, and there's no better way to spend time building a faction than with your own friends and confidants. I know this is the hardest of the advice given in this post, but it's the most assured way to gain support. This community is about building friendships and role-playing, and this is the core of building a faction.

With that said, something Staff could do is begin to do a "Faction of the Month" category on the sidebar visible to everyone who joins, sporting a cool image made by yours truly to help advertise smaller factions.

Darren Onyx

D
I think we need to change the standards that allow a faction reach major faction status. The rules are that once you get five unique writers then your faction will reach Major Faction. I personally think we need to amp it up. I think in order to reach that status you need to do a forum that shows the entire backstory and reasoning for your faction being a faction. So if someone wants to create a Dark Jedi splinter group, they need to do a whole background on why they are who they are and do what they do. It would just add to the story of the galaxy. Plus it would really limit some of the factions.

We attempted to up it to 10, Dark Onyx, but some had some major issues with that. Really, I agree with you. I think it should be higher as well.

I think the big problem here is expectations about what people want from factions. Outside of maybe... five or so faction ideas that are pulled straight from Star Wars there are not many that have the kind of fan pull to carry themselves. To explain: a lot of these cultural faction ideas are fun ideas for a group to RP, but I think that many people are kidding themselves if they think that they will ever grow to contend with the big powers. And really this is not the fault of the people trying to make it a big deal, it is just that their expectations are flawed.

For instance. Shapers of Kro Var, weird group of force users. Kind of cool, would draw in some appeal because of Avatar fans, but all around a very niche group. I could see a handful of people RPing them, but I mean... the chances of it growing up into a huge player on a galactic scale is just out there. And that is true for a multitude of factions within the Star Wars universe.

Even very canon ideas for big factions can have a hard time. For instance, historically the Hutts have been ballin' within EU. And the faction here is doing okay, I suppose (lots of members who aren't doing much...), but even getting them to be a strong IC faction is hard. How much harder would it be for these very niche groups who don't even have the huge amounts of lore and SW relevance behind them.

OmegaPyre is kind of the fluke in all this. It shows that it is possible to do something with a new idea or a fringe idea in SW, but it is not something that should be expected. Hoped for sure, but expected no.

I like the idea of a faction of the month, I know I could never manage the image by myself with my painfully rusty and limited photoshop skills.

It is hard for us niche factions though. Why join the tiny Atrisian Empire when I can join the massive Sith Empire? The Sith Empire, like the Republic, has the benefit of being the home of anyone that wants to be a sith/jedi.

I do think I could make the Atrisian Empire front page a bit more marketable, I've just been not exactly sure what to do with it beyond the obvious "make it better."

My biggest advice for small factions and those aspiring to make a faction is to have them made after something moderately popular in Star Wars lore. The Empire and Republic are one thing, but niches such as Mandalorians, Dathomir witches, Hapans, criminals, etc. are usually more popular than other things in Star Wars Lore.

Those that make factions that are a very tiny part of Star Wars lore must accept the limitation that it brings, and those that have canons not based on any lore have to accept even lower numbers of members. Hard work and having veteran writers have active characters on the faction will help, yet that only goes so far due to the fact that most people that are joining Star Wars RP.net are going to want to role-play what is popular in Star Wars canon first - Sith and Jedi - and all else second.

Well Akio, this is where some element of my expectation rant comes into play. At some point, there is really not much else that can be done. Interest can only grow so much for a niche faction, because one of the grim realities is that they are inherently a niche. Niches are fairly small time by definition. If your goal is to make a massive contender in the galaxy, then I'd hazard to guess that the expectations need to be dropped. I think it is about deciding a reasonable level of activity/interest you want to have.

You can only manufacture interest so much.

Omega Pyre started as a PMC, with no real Star Wars lore behind it just a basic concept and some dedicated members. You say its a fluke, but I believe any faction can succeed if it can generate that interest. So people have never heard of Omega Pyre before, you look at their faction page and instantly know what they're about. If they caught your eye, then its not a large step from seeing this neat and active faction and then joining that faction.

Recruiting members IC and OOC does a lot as well. My OP character joined because of another OP writer telling me about it on skype, and it making sense for the character.

Darth Apparatus said:
My biggest advice for small factions and those aspiring to make a faction is to have them made after something moderately popular in Star Wars lore. The Empire and Republic are one thing, but niches such as Mandalorians, Dathomir witches, Hapans, criminals, etc. are usually more popular than other things in Star Wars Lore.
Yeah, with that said, I don't quite understand why the Yuuzhan Vong faction failed....I should start a Vong faction....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom