Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Holocrons providing training, how much?

I am in a discussion with a friend about Holocrons about gaining training. The friend believes they, being new to the site, can gain master of a Force power, a rare one at that, from a single holocron. Is this possible? I am arguing this isn't possible even if you provide a 50 post dev thread to get it and learn from it. This being the Holocron.

Chaos, what are your thoughts?

Honestly I haven't put much stock into holocrons. In terms of training, wouldn't you rather have an interesting story with another character?

That seems much more rewarding than a Holocron (no offense). :)

Sure you can, given enough dedication and development.

However, learning from a Holocron does not a Master make unless the Master rank has been earned.

A 50 post dev thread won't make you a Master of anything if you're just an Apprentice.

S O V E R E I G N
Factory Judge
[member="Darth Vaildra"], You can. It depends on how well the user portrays that learning of such skills, as well as who is the one teaching it. Generic holocron? No. No way. One that was made by a Canon, or "Chaos Canon" character who mastered that art form, then yes. As well, it will take them, MANY threads to train up to mastery. it won't be something that you can just get.

So, as for who this is, and I know who you are talking about, can obtain mastery of the Fire shaping from a holocron. ONLY through MULTIPLE development threads, and ACTIVE use of the skill.

[member="Darth Vaildra"]

Mastering the force power from just a holocron alone? That seems a bit excessive, in my opinion. To me, mastering a force power requires your character to go through the process of first learning how to do it, followed by threads with your character using the power slowly becoming more and more proficient. Mastering a power shouldn't be quick, as it would take advanced force users years to truly "master" any power.

I have never done anything with a holocron, nor have I really done a real dev thread properly (yet), so I am by no means an authority whatsoever, but I feel that a holocron could well provide mastery in a power, as I'm pretty sure that has happened in canon history before... I think? Pretty sure some canon Sith Lords gained all of their power from holocron study.

However, it would have to be a long-term development in my opinion, and a thorough thread per rank level would have to be made.

Buuuut I'm not a Judge, so what do I know? :p

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
It's entirely possible for someone to RP learning special skills from a holocron all the way up the rank chain, and focus on those skills, and be acknowledged as really good at those skills. That said, ownership of said holocron won't give the RPer the experience to know how and when to use those skills. It's extremely common to see people with Master tags claim an unstoppable mastery of flamboyant Force powers -- and then use them all wrong and get their collective butts handed to them. Sometimes by Padawans or low-grade NFUs. As in all things...be wise. Have a sense of proportion.

Tyberius Fel

Rightful Galactic Emperor
In canon?

Sure, learning from a holocron of a renowned master with a good gatekeeper is only somewhat inferior than having the actual master in the flesh educating you. If I recall correctly, quite a few canon characters managed to effect a extremely powerful grasp of the force learning primarily from holocrons. It's a very good learning method.

If you're talking about a OOC perspective, your character is only as powerful as people think they are and if not much stock is put into holocrons, then that's that.

Ajira Cardei said:
It's entirely possible for someone to RP learning special skills from a holocron all the way up the rank chain, and focus on those skills, and be acknowledged as really good at those skills. That said, ownership of said holocron won't give the RPer the experience to know how and when to use those skills. It's extremely common to see people with Master tags claim an unstoppable mastery of flamboyant Force powers -- and then use them all wrong and get their collective butts handed to them. Sometimes by Padawans or low-grade NFUs. As in all things...be wise. Have a sense of proportion.
This. Experience is key.

If holocrons and merely owning them made you able to master things alone without anything further than possession, i'd be one of the most terrifying Alchemist currently "active", and [member="Dissero"] would make me look like even more of a pleb than they already do. But just owning them doesn't do that.

Holocrons provide, in my opinion, a vehicle to mastery. You still need to do the stories, whether in background of threads or in dedicated training threads, of them learning and practicing. IC knowledge/practice is key. Anything else is just lazy writing.

[member="Darth Vaildra"]

[member="Ajira Cardei"]

Amen, very guilty of this myself.

Thank you guys for all the response, things were figured out and I believe both parties have learned something new. In the end, it is about the story and the fun writing it haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom