Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harsh Realm

Doyle

D
Lucinda didn't make any comments as the others made their remarks. Instead she just gestured for them to follow. "This way." Her eyes lingered on [member="Dayton Santiago"] for a moment as she passed him while he worked away at one of the terminals. It was as though she was going to ask him a question, but then thought better of it.

After making their way through a corridor, the group was led to a large room filled with hospital beds for each of them. Various machines and tubings were alongside each of the beds. Every one of them was identical. "Pick out a bed and get yourselves comfortable.
You will all be administered with a sedative so that there is no pain experienced with the insertion of the implant. After that, you'll be wheeled in to another room where you'll be interfaced with the Harsh Realm program."

Men and women in scrubs were on hand to help them all get into the right spot on the bed. Blankets and pillows were provided for comfort. And once the group was settled, the sedatives were injected before the implants were inserted. It probably felt a bit odd to have something mechanical encroach on the brain after piercing the skull, but only enough to make that part of the head feel a little fuzzy. Everyone was hooked up to the machines so that their vitals were constantly in check and everything else to keep them alive while they were in Harsh Realm. Soon after that, consciousness was lost.

Lucinda watched during the whole process, being sure that nothing was amiss. "Dayton...Put them at Omar's latest stronghold.
That General's getting to be as bad as a virus.."
She turned and exited the room as one by one, the group was being wheeled into a much larger room, filled with many more volunteers laying on identical beds.

¤¤¤¤¤~HARSH REALM~¤¤¤¤¤

Every one of the latest volunteer team arrived into Harsh Realm at the same time and in the same building. The sun had set just a half hour ago, leaving just fading daylight to filter through the dirty windows. The building was an abandoned warehouse that at certain times seemed to have housed the homeless. Posters lined the walls, each of them a print of the General's face, along with his latest propaganda slogan: One People. One Nation. One Santiago.

The warehouse was empty this time around, except for the new arrivals. Yet the sounds of people and vehicles were heard outside. Shouting, sirens, blaster fire, armoured boots on the ground. It was almost as though they were at the Underworld of Coruscant.

Almost.

One thing was for certain. In Harsh Realm, the Force didn't exist. There was no way to tap into it when one couldn't feel it. Everyone was on the same playing field.

[member="Shoden Moz"] [member="Padran Rodarch"] [member="Jairdain"] [member="Caedyn Arenais"] [member="Dawn Moor"]

There wasn't much more to be answered and it seemed others were ready to get things moving. Jairdain really was curious as to what this would be like for her. The answer she had been given to her question, still left it unanswered fully. Time would tell if this experiment would do anything for her at all.

Climbing into one of the offered bed, she made herself comfortable before the technicians started to work on her. All she felt was pressure on the back of her head when the implant was in inserted into her body. Soon after an almost sleep came to her and she was wheeled away with the others.

When she woke up and she opened her eyes...she knew right away the Force was gone from her. Her other senses kicked into form and she paused in a step. Where was she going?

Shaking her head, this simulation granted her a dreamlike vision. Similar to what she could normally see through the Force it was still different. There was no life here for her to focus on. She didn't panic though.

There had been several long months in her life when she had been deprived of the Force and this was just another one of those times. Same as then, anything that happened to her here would affect her real body. Tilting her head to listen to what was going on around her, she wondered if anybody else was in this room with her.

Caedyn Arenais

C
Apparel: Spacer Attire.
Inventory: Currently Unarmed.
cae_breaker_by_kioxes-dc8yrxo.png
Like the other participants, Caedyn's entry into the simulated universe was swift and unnerving, turning his stomach only to awaken in an open room already standing on his feet surrounded by the others alongside him back before they had been seated. The instant revelation that this World or Galaxy, whatever or however large that it might be, was hard felt where the Force simply did not exist. It felt as though Caedyn was missing the very core of what made him who he was, as though his body was a husk without a heart and soul. It took a moment for the younger man to steady himself, needing to find one of the walls nearby to try to refocus his thoughts with the sudden loss of his external sensory abilities and connection to life itself.

"Ugh...-This isn't what I'd imagined..." Were the first words to leave the male as he forced himself to stand upright and seek to take in a deep breath. It was all simulated, which meant nothing of what they saw was truly living and therefore by consequence, it only made sense that the Force didn't exist here, yet to experience such a thing was beyond words. As if to add insult to injury, the sounds coming from outside of the abandoned building were nothing if not hostile, though too sporadic to be directly targeting or aimed at them from what first impressions could tell.

"Is everyone with us?" He asked, looking about the room to see if they weren't missing anyone.

[member="Shoden Moz"] | [member="Padran Rodarch"] | @Jairdain | @Lucinda Larr | [member="Dawn Moor"]

Dawn was neither the first nor the last to be placed on a bed. However, she would be one of the last to interface with the Harsh Realm simulation. The implant at the back of the neck would directly interface with the existing SMPl CyberNerv controller chip. This interfacing took time as the controller chip performed a number of security operations to keep the implant from accessing the subdermal system and causing hiccups in Dawn's otherwise regular biological processes.

The sedative hit fast and caused a warm, tingling feeling across Dawn's body. While her consciousness slipped out during the interfacing, keen observers watching over Dawn would have caught a brief glimpse of a neon smiley projecting from her left cheek for a few brief seconds. It gave a mischievous wink, disappearing right before the interfacing had completed.

----------------------------

An empty space where the last few remaining bits of sunlight faded through the grimy windows became the spawning point of a figure that resembled, but did not fully replicate, the appearance of Dawn. Facial features were similar, but with exaggerations on jawline strength and the broadness of shoulders. Gone were many gender-specific physical attributes, favoring an androgynous physiology. And juxtaposed to the quirky grin and impatient stature was a figure of poise and calculated patience. Where the sunlight had faded, Dusk had stood in its place, and he surveyed the surroundings with a meticulous gaze.

"Now this," he spoke as his hands traced the textures of the walls and ground, "Is a VERY impressive simulation."

Padran Rodarch

P
Like with everyone else, Padran followed to the room where they got their implant. When he was done, he was wheeled into the NeXT room and placed on a bed, just like the others. Then, he was put into this Harsh Realm. It felt like he fell asleep, A Nice, good sleep, where he felt no worries.

But he woke up soon after, but after some of the others, in the simulated world. It didn't feel very peculiar, but he was amazed by how real it actually felt. But for some of the others, it seemed like they struggled somewhat. Padran guessed it was the force. He couldn't use the force, and therefore didn't feel anything. But for those who had used it for a long time, depending on it, it probably felt pretty wierd.

The building they were in was pretty empty, only being filled With posters of their target. Padran walked over to one and picked it of the wall. "This guy's sure got a big ego,"he said to himself while looking at the poster. Then he went back to the rest of the Group. The sounds coming from outside was alarming, which only made the simulator seem more real. "Okay guys. How are we going to play this? Compete, everyone against each other? Or work more as a team?" Most would probably say to compete, wanting to get the glory alone for having caught this man. Padran just needed to be sure.

[member="Dawn Moor"] | [member="Caedyn Arenais"] | [member="Shoden Moz"] | [member="Jairdain"] | [member="Lucinda Larr"]

Doyle

D

General Santiago stood staring at the map before him, focused on his own thoughts for the future of the great nation that was being built in Harsh Realm. Here there was order among the chaos. Here there was purpose. And if anyone failed to fulfill their part in it, they were removed. Permanently.

A woman, conservatively dressed and with hair as black as night approached him. Her stride was confident, yet her stiff stature suggested a hint of timidness towards the General. "Santiago.
Our sources indicate that five others have entered the city. We have the sector narrowed down but not their exact location. Shall I send a squad?"

He never turned to look at her as he spoke, instead remaining where he was with his arms clasped behind his back. "The sun has already gone down, Inga. That means it's curfew. The newcomers won't know our laws, so as soon as they step out onto the streets, they'll be caught.
And when that happens, bring them to me."

"Understood, sir." Not wanting to question his decision or stay in his presence any longer, Inga left the room to send word to the curfew teams that patrolled the known sector.

Santago's eyes narrowed ever so slightly as he continued to stare at the map. "Who have you brought me this time, Lucy? I hope that it's someone worthy."

[member="Caedyn Arenais"] [member="Shoden Moz"] [member="Jairdain"] [member="Padran Rodarch"] [member="Dawn Moor"]

Shoden Moz

Lady Mischief of Nordel
It took Shoden longer than the others to wake up once she was put into her bed and given the same treatment as the others. By the time she woke, it was clear preparations were already being made. Everyone was either adjusting to the lack of Force, or preparing to head out it seemed, if the mandalorian was any indication. She must've stayed asleep a bit longer than the others, even after interfacing. Ah well, she groaned and pushed herself up with her hand, before taking the opportunity to look herself over.

She was dressed the same as she had arrived, the bright pink, old republic styled jedi robes, complete with a lovely black glove that fitted over her hand and delightfully fitted boots. Well, at least she wouldn't have to worry about anyone missing her when she tried to hide. On the upside, she did remain one of the more stylish of the 'contestants'. She rubbed her neck with the gloved hand, and went over to Padran, catching a glance at the posters when she did so. Seemed at least somewhat true then that Santiago was going off the deep end, at least in the simulation itself.

"If you are asking if I plan to leave anyone for dead, no. Competition or not I wouldn't feel good about leaving someone in here, so even if it's temporary I'd want us to work together to find those books that let us leave. If I were to guess the best way to proceed with the competition side of this, it'd be to work as a team until victory is all but assured for one of us. Then see who gets to win the glory. Besides the matter remains that we don't know what planet we're on in here, and I have my own questions that need answering before I feel comfortable ending the game." Quite a shift from her playful tones at the flirt earlier, like a switch had been flipped in her head.

Shoden was thinking more like she would at work now, Lady and all that. "I would also suggest we tread carefully. The moment we leave this warehouse, I wouldn't be surprised to find a dozen soldiers staring at us or chasing us with cameras looking at every route we take." Perhaps this was Commenor? If it was... She carefully walked around the group, eyes scanning slowly for every possible imperfection that might give away something. A sewer entry, a tunnel system, anything.

[member="General Omar Santiago"] :|: [member="Padran Rodarch"] :|: [member="Dawn Moor"] :|: [member="Caedyn Arenais"] :|: [member="Jairdain"] :|: [member="Lucinda Larr"]

Caedyn Arenais

C
Apparel: Spacer Attire.
Inventory: Currently Unarmed.
cae_breaker_by_kioxes-dc8yrxo.png
"Both [member="Shoden Moz"] and [member="Jairdain"] are my family, I'll be with them and would like to encourage everyone else to co-operate too, if possible" Caedyn spoke up in agreement with his cousin; they had all been told that should any of them be harmed or brought to an end within this 'Harsh Realm', then they would too be killed in the real world where they slept under the trance of the simulation and the sedatives they'd been injected with. "We don't really know anything about this place, aside from the fact it's meant to be a copy of our own Galaxy. What planet are we supposed to be on at the moment...-What's the terrain or the population like?" he asked in rhetorical fashion, suggesting that as his cousin had too pointed out already, they knew very little about their situation.

"I know that I'm not alone in sensing that the Force isn't present in this Simulation..." He added, turning to look to the two family members before glancing across to the rest of the group, "I suppose it makes sense but it also puts some of us at a bit of a disadvantage, not having ever experienced a feeling so...Empty, myself" His thoughts crossed to [member="Asaraa Vaashe"] and how she might have conquered such a challenge. Caedyn could remember the Winter Ball and how her former Master had trained her in the Bow and stated that it was a weapon free of technological challenges. No doubt she would have found a way, and somehow so would they.

[member="General Omar Santiago"] | [member="Padran Rodarch"] | [member="Dawn Moor"]​

Hearing the familiar voices of those that had agreed to this experiment and mission, Jairdain's form relaxed. Turning to face them, she listened to what each of them suggested and smiled at Caedyn. They had very little time to ever actually meet or do anything together, but she had been a stable presence in his life for as long as he could remember.

Almost the same could be said about Shoden. While the girl was adopted, they had been together almost for as long as she had been in Darlyn's life.

"If my voice counts for anything, I would like to work together. Any of you that wish to try and turn this into a competition, then leave me out of it. Without the Force, I am going to be a weak link, however, my other senses might be that much stronger than any of yours."

She meant no offence to any of them nor did she jump to any conclusions. Speaking without a sense of feeling weak or vulnerable, what she said felt true to her.

The words Cae said brought her attention to him and she held out a hand.

"You can be my eyes and I'll be your ears."

Focusing again on the group as a whole, a few ideas came to mind and her questions needed answering.

"What time of day or night is it? Do we have access to any sort of weapons or this simulation's version of the holonet? Most likely, there are rules, laws and guidelines this General has in place and in order to fit in, I suggest we try to learn what they are."

[member="Caedyn Arenais"] [member="Shoden Moz"] [member="General Omar Santiago"] [member="Padran Rodarch"] [member="Dawn Moor"] [member="Lucinda Larr"]

Padran Rodarch

P
Hearing the answers of the others was a small relief to Padran. "I'll work With you Three as well, if that's alright?" Even though he was fully capable to do this alone, having grown up a mandalorian, he preffered to work in a Group for this mission. But it seemed he would be among the strongest in the Group, since at least two of them were force sensitive and felt weird without it.

"Yeah, you're right. We should try to find out what planet we're on, and what time of the day it is." Then his mind fell on something else. He looked around, and began walking around a bit. But it didn't seem he could find what he was looking for. "And we should also try to find weapons," he said while looking. Being a mandalorian, he thought With his weapon, and felt weird without one.

After some time, he gave up the search. It didn't seem to be any form of modern weapon in there. Instead, he found his way to the door, and called the others over there. But he waited for them before opening. He didn't know what could be on the other side, so it was best to be in the Group.

[member="Jairdain"] | [member="Caedyn Arenais"] | [member="Shoden Moz"] | [member="General Omar Santiago"] | [member="Dawn Moor"] | [member="Lucinda Larr"]

The well-cropped purple-haired male who stood in the place of Dawn seemed studious and aloof. An intense shrewdness froze to his expressionless face as plain and effortlessly as if it had been painted on. He listened, but he made no particular note of a desire to participate right away. A lot of questions were on his mind. A lot of variables to calculate. Many mentioned by some of the others.

Which planet was this?
Are the NPCs on this planet loyal to the General?
What security systems are in place?
What sort of weather can they expect?
What terrain can they expect?
What access will they have to the technology?

And above all, how much power does the General have over the simulation?

In additional to all of these questions, which Dusk was in the process of ascertaining based on various evidences throughout the room, a more interesting revelation came from one of the members. An unfortunate admission from one of the participants that left a sour taste in his digitally reproduced mouth. Three of the participants were "family". They were connected to each other. What sort of competition was this that stacked the odds so firmly against him? No matter which one of the three won, they all won. Of course they would team together. He hid the bitterness behind his studious gaze.

The only allaying factor to the bitterness was the obvious lack of Force connection in the simulation. It left several of the members feeling like a fish out of water. Whereas Dusk, who had no Force connection in the real world, had no sense of what was missing. Rather, as a man born of the digital world and with a layer of custom tech between him and the simulation, the tables were reversed. In a simulated world, there would exist latent functions and toolsets that could be exploited. That was the Force of a simulated world.

But he would play by the rules, for now. Not least of all because the cost of cheating would rid the entire point of his participation: the reward. But Dusk was nothing if not cautious. He certainly would not encourage his counterpart, Dawn, to allow any invasive cerebral simulation without some sort of defense. Already, the CyberNerv system controller was cloning network logs and commands in real-time.

Dusk half-suspected that the organization running the simulation was, in fact, counting on this. After all, the opponent of the simulation was a man who had hacked and re-written aspects of the simulation at-will. It was obvious that simply throwing regular participants, with limited access, at the General in a simulation that was life-or-death was a suicide mission for anyone involved. What better way to counter a man who has broken the system than a man born and bred from cyberterrorists and subsequently sharpened by metropolitan cybersecurity enforcement?

And what of the family? This variable burned in Dusk's mind. More than the details of the planet. More than minor aspects of the simulation. Why was a chunk of the participants connected? It made little sense for a competition. But there were too many possibilities and not enough information. It was a puzzle that Dusk would have to simply attempt to ignore for now.

A key question was presented: Would Dusk go alone or stick with the group? Obviously, it made little sense to go alone with no information. It was pointed out clearly that they would need to acquire weapons, let alone supplies. It was in nobody's best interest to go alone at this stage. But the endgame might prove to be a different story.

"There is still too much information that we do not know." Dusk said, sternly. "We do not have any information on the target or the extent of his grip on this simulation. Best case scenario, he has no access to network events describing the arrival of new participants. Worst case scenario, he knows precisely where we have spawned.

Probability is high that every non-player character will pose as eyes and ears for our target. If you allow me to tag along, I will find a way to circumvent this threat. But you will need to keep me protected.
"

[member="Jairdain"] | [member="Caedyn Arenais"] | [member="Padran Rodarch"] | [member="Shoden Moz"] | [member="Lucinda Larr"] | [member="Dayton Santiago"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom