Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Staff General Rule Addition #8

Link for the lazy: https://starwarsrp.net/ams/general-rules.2905/

60cd836b4fa5d81f70aa13cb36871ca2.png

This is not retroactive, disciplinary action will not be taken on anyone who recently logged into each one of their 17 subaccounts to love react a blog post. However, sir, you know who you are and you sit on a throne of LIES.

I mean, it's pretty benign isn't it? Does this really warrant a rule? The only times you really see this sort of thing are when folks are in two categories.

Category A; meming, which IMO is part of the fun of being on a forum. And I've been apart of this category. Full disclosure.

Or B, those times when weirdos wanna inflate how good their stuff looks. Which sort of ends in a social stigma, because if you are in category B, 99/100, your stuff ain't that funny/witty/great etc. And it just looks self-conscious and neurotic.

Bottom line, who gives this much of a toss about ratings on a website when you can have a million sub accounts? The likes/reacts don't roll over per account. It seems like a weird niche to decide to regulate.

Bottom line, who gives this much of a toss about ratings on a website when you can have a million sub accounts?

For every argument for, there's two arguments against.

Bottom line, it's content manipulation. Content manipulation - and attempting to appear as more than one person - crosses the line with many other rules instituted here and the direction Chaos has grown over the years. We literally started as the website that killed anonymity and strictly addressed people attempting to portray multiple real people, while still allowing the ability to write multiple fictional and immersive characters. It's a core tenet.

The way I've seen reacts being used, while sometimes funny, it's a lie, it's a manipulation, it's fake. You'll find similar rulings on other websites, prime example being Reddit. If karma is meaningless, why ban content manipulation? Sure, a much different atmosphere and function, but the reasoning is ultimately the same. Complain as you might, the environment we foster here at Chaos does not support content manipulation, nor portraying yourself as multiple people.

My strongest argument in favor of the ruling is how few people it ultimately impacts, and how easy it is to naturally comply with the rule.

I have been subject to love bombing and admit to having done it, but usually with characters that know something about the characters involved and would react that way. For me it was a bit of harmless meta-rp.

It is such a regular occurrence on Chaos that if a post is highly liked I will often check account ownership out of curiosity.

Ultimately I think it is a natural consequence of the community treating the thumbs up react as if some one had just hit them with a backhanded slap. When like isn't enough to express that you like something, love becomes the new like and love love love becomes the new love.

From now on. You all get likes. :p

Last edited:
This rule is one of those that over all that doesn't need to exist. It takes action against something that is over all harmless to the community.

That being said the rule itself can be harmful to the community. For instance when reading a thread through i have not realizing I was in the wrong account love or like reacted a post I had already done so in another account. Now if I accidentally do that I have to worry I might get in trouble. I don't think i have ever love/liked my own posts but again I'm not sure i could done it by accident and not realized it.

Imo this rule is more harmful to the community then someone love reacting themselves 17 times or a million. Because at the end of the day what does it matter if someone does that it doesn't the only people it might affect is those at the top of the reaction lists leaderboard and that's just because of elitism and who is to say they didnt love react themselves to get there as well?

Basically the rule is more detrimental to the community then it not existing.

Basically the rule is more detrimental to the community then it not existing.

To help remedy some concern, though I don't aim to alleviate all of it, I will say context always matters to both myself and the SWRP Staff Team. As mad as the habitual line-steppers can get, anyone who's been in a private DM over some really silly stuff with me cannot say we don't seek context with a straight face. The mistaken double react, the accidental self-react, nobody's looking to persecute those situations. You'd likely never even get a warning, or notice by Staff. The SWRP Staff Team has always reserved the right to alter punishments in what it feels is reciprocal and equivocal to the breaking of our community's guidelines. Staff doesn't negotiate these terms, but we try to do our best to make it feel fair for those who wish to stay here after a corrective issue.

There's an easier, more flammable solution. I could just disable reactions by subaccounts. Or we could disable reactions entirely, if they don't actually matter to us. We're not going to do that, though, because that's an actual punishment of the many to resolve the issue of a few. So this rule serves as the warning sign to the few, don't abuse mechanics of the website, or we'll once again prove our consistency in rooting out specific cases of abusive behavior.

Regardless of any one person's opinion, it's content manipulation. You are abusing a mechanic. You are cycling through dozens of inactive subaccounts, which otherwise likely have very few posts and were created on a whim due to how easy it is to perform this function here at Chaos - and you are "boosting" a post. Yes, most cases are harmless, someone just gets love bombed, it's easy to be supportive of that, easy to signal your virtue for that, easy to echo that sentiment with others.

Still content manipulation. Still abusive of this website's freedoms and mechanics. Still spitting in the face of one of the foundational core tenets of this website, that you are one person, that you are not your subaccounts. I've been apart of an environment like that, it will never happen here.

There's no amount of words that can convince me otherwise. Members can unite together to "love bomb" people, it happens all the time, and will still happen all the time. But when it does happen, those members who generate them will know it's not because their buddy sat there and logged in and out of each account to love react - it's because people united together from all corners of the nine realms to raise their hands in one gigantic love spirit bomb.

And none of them were fake af.

I don’t think the issue is the love bombs but more the way this could be passive aggressive and hurtful. Here are some examples: If you disagree with someone and they make a snarky mean remark and then that snark is suddenly “liked” or “loved” a billion times by the same few people. Or your post gets the anger react a hundred times by the same few people just being passive aggressive d-bags. Using the reacts that way is just trying to make someone feel like they've got hate coming in from all fronts when its really just a few people. I could see it being an issue. No idea if thats how it was ever used but for me that seems the real reason this is a useful policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom