Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Chiss Ascendancy

The Chiss Ascendancy has been displaced from Chiss Space. They plan to reclaim it.

Share This Faction

Quick Overview

Category
Minor Factions
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

General Discussion

Orn'om

O
I think the Battlestar feel you're going for works good for the CDF, hit and runs and stuff..But I really think if we're going to focus on ourselves first we need to look at Chiss lore as a whole. As a fact, most of the Chiss species did not live on Csilla. About half of our worlds are in GA space half in Maw. Rather than Battlestar migratory people...I think we should be looking at Mass Effect for our take on the story. Hitting the Maw in quick attacks and shoring up the defenses of our most important remaining worlds.

Do we have a cord?

Thorne

T
I think the Battlestar feel you're going for works good for the CDF, hit and runs and stuff..But I really think if we're going to focus on ourselves first we need to look at Chiss lore as a whole. As a fact, most of the Chiss species did not live on Csilla. About half of our worlds are in GA space half in Maw. Rather than Battlestar migratory people...I think we should be looking at Mass Effect for our take on the story. Hitting the Maw in quick attacks and shoring up the defenses of our most important remaining worlds.

Do we have a cord?

No discord as yet.

And yeah, I'm aware of the dispersion of Chiss planets on the map, but the idea I presented was more to allow the Chiss to focus on being Chiss first, and then expand out to interact with other groups and plots.

One thing I've noticed with previous Chiss factions is a quick decline in the foundational membership, and I think it's because there wasn't time taken to do more lore establishing RP. There have been a number of personal relationship threads - families making deals, friends hanging out, etc - but no real groundwork for the Chiss as a whole where all helped stake points. The idea about the fleet/flotilla was to give us a starting point on that front, build on it, then expand to planets and Maw engagements and beyond.

It's also aimed to keep with that isolationist and proud tradition for the culture; I don't think the Chiss would start by seeking handouts/permission from the GA to use planets the Chiss 'claim' are theirs but aren't technically or politically or territorally.

Your idea for shoring up defenses and getting involved is on the cards, though, for sure. Is it what we should do right out the gate? I'm not sure.

Happy to hear from our fellow Chiss.

Orn'om

O
Its just that in both Legends and Canon, Csilla was important for some of the Ruling families sure, the government was there and the military high command was there...But Csilla was the heart not the soul. As you said, we need to focus on being Chiss first and expanding the lore. I think one of the biggest issues we've had with Chiss factions is that we hang up Csilla as if its the place where we all live, everything happens there all our fleets are there etc... Like you said, nobody tries to build lore, and worse, nobody looks into the existing lore.

I'm sure you have and know Csilla was nowhere near the end all be all for worlds the Chiss inhabited and was arguably one of the least important for any sort of war or recovery effort that the chiss would need to take against an enemy. I think we have very similar thoughts on flotilla though, I think I just read it wrong.

With the flotilla, is it meant as the main military remnant defending what remains of the Aristochra? Or do you intend for it to be the life flotilla of the Chiss species? The former makes sense, the later does not.

Also if your worry with delving into Ascendancy worlds is that the GA is all over them, I wouldn't worry about them. Afik they've treated them as still belonging to the Ascendancy. GA forces are just in the area fighting Maw raiders and "providing aid" in an off-screen theatre of their conflict with the Maw

Thorne

T
Yeah, I'm aware Csilla was a single part of the whole. It was essentially Coruscant to the Empire/New Republic, akin to how all those Government's didn't rely solely on Coruscant either. Csilla had some significance as the capital world for the Chiss, and housed a palace for the ruling family leadership and a lot of political body members, as well as the expeditionary library - but beyond that, it was another world in Chiss Space, and a lot of parts moved on other worlds/colonies.

The angle of the flotilla, as well as what I mentioned earlier, was to provide a chance for Chiss to regroup, reallocate leadership (as a portion likely perished on Csilla), and to protect the rescued expeditionary library - which, despite some RP involved in the attack on Csilla that claimed 'it was copied/stolen and parts taken', more than likely would have been evacuated and preserved, due to the importance it has to Chiss.

But I have an answer for that library event, narratively, should the flotilla idea go ahead (maybe).

Organizationally, the flotilla was meant to be a massive world ship/s for bringing Chiss back together, being a central location to reinstate ruling families/leaders, begin preparation for future events; and with the CDF fleets protecting it, who are also able to scout ahead/around space to protect the flotilla, while engaging in skirmishes and whatever else away from the general NPC population.

The point was to provide a new angle, based on IC events, that maintained the core concepts of Chiss - but gave us a different, and hopefully interesting/attention retaining, spin to play with (until more typical RP could start by settling back onto Chiss planets and getting involved with other groups, etc).

I don't really know how else to explain the idea, but I understand where you're coming from. I just want to break the usual CA story spin, avoid typically used plots/ideas, and see if we can inject some excitement/change into the formula to avoid member fall off.

I'm happy to discuss with members and change it, if the idea isn't working for interested players.

The Maw used Csilla as the big story moment of the Maw annihilating the Ascendancy. They blew up Csilla, yes, but the story that stemmed further from it was generally destabilized and demoralized Chiss trying to survive and escape. That was my impression from all the dominions and such that followed afterward. The Ascendancy had been defeated, and what remained wasn't enough to put up a true fight.

So to me, the idea of the Floatilla works pretty well. Reuniting the survivors on Maw worlds, protecting the people stuck there. It's a compelling narrative. To the site and folks who don't know the Chiss that well, Csilla's annihilation was the end, so I say play into it and have fun with the story that could come from it.

Kharna

K
I would agree, I'd definitely like to focus much more on the Chiss side of things, Imo rebuilding and establishing the Ascendancy should probably be the main focal point for now. I.e. building up the flotilla, as Tharia mentioned reuniting survivors and the like, since the Ascendancy has basically crumbled, diplo and dedicated mil stuff should really be coming afterwards.

Imperial Arbiter of the Outer Rim
One way or another, you'll be happy to hear that people have not yet forgotten about the Chiss either, and you are likely to have some sort of dark side space paparazzi following your every move out there. (Like those ones)

I do think that Chiss Space has been endangered by the war fought there, and that taking some space to reconsolidate is an excellent move, both to reinstate leadership (because prior to that, Chiss came to the NIO saying: "hey protect us and we give you this or that planet" or just swarmed refugee camps) and to rebuild a fighting force that is not merged with any MF's forces and can sustain itself for low-scale fights. Now, the most important thing is to know whether you want to take the fleet south or north. Nirauan having been recently attacked by the Maw, I think Imperial presence might be negligible if going through the remnants of the Empire of the Hand is a thing, or else, with the disappearance of the CIS blob, southern Outer Rim can be a thing, with both empty worlds to refuel and hide, and lowly populated worlds of amicable settlement like the Elyisum Empire. Just mind Eriadu and Seswenna since the Final Dawn has bases there and could go after you.

Karisa

Brask'ari'sabosen (retired)
I see that Sposia and Naporar fell under Maw influence just recently. That could be a starting point for our flotilla. The exodus of what was left of the CA, kinda like in BSG.

ADDEN: Now today I see that the Sposia hex is not in Maw's influence cloud...

Last edited:

Thorne

T
One way or another, you'll be happy to hear that people have not yet forgotten about the Chiss either, and you are likely to have some sort of dark side space paparazzi following your every move out there. (Like those ones)

I do think that Chiss Space has been endangered by the war fought there, and that taking some space to reconsolidate is an excellent move, both to reinstate leadership (because prior to that, Chiss came to the NIO saying: "hey protect us and we give you this or that planet" or just swarmed refugee camps) and to rebuild a fighting force that is not merged with any MF's forces and can sustain itself for low-scale fights. Now, the most important thing is to know whether you want to take the fleet south or north. Nirauan having been recently attacked by the Maw, I think Imperial presence might be negligible if going through the remnants of the Empire of the Hand is a thing, or else, with the disappearance of the CIS blob, southern Outer Rim can be a thing, with both empty worlds to refuel and hide, and lowly populated worlds of amicable settlement like the Elyisum Empire. Just mind Eriadu and Seswenna since the Final Dawn has bases there and could go after you.

That's the beauty of being a minor, we don't need to worry about the map too much. Our fleet can move wherever, so long as we keep it reasonable (eg: not flying past the Maw capital), and ultimately space is very, very, very big - it's three dimensional, so consider the scope of trying to find a small group of fleets in trillions and trillions of parsecs, and it becomes very difficult for an enemy force to justify 'stumbling onto us'.

We'll likely avoid most planets in the immediate area, and use the spaces between. Maybe even go beyond that to the unexplored galaxy, who knows?

But yeah, I think the fleet and consolidation of Chiss is important. And the transition from fleeing flotilla to imposing fleet plot could be very fun and rewarding, as writers. Just need to settle on a premise and roll with it, I suppose, once more Chiss characters appear.

Lifelong Nerd, Roleplayer, Writer and Philosopher
Well, if ever you guys need the aid of a young Bothan to provide entertainment, aid in the relocation of important artifacts, haul supplies in the Jester, provide medical resources or just to keep your younglings upbeat through this challenging time, feel free to keep me in mind. I'm not sure what else I might be able to bring to the table other then some basics, sadly, non-Chiss that I am.

Thorne

T
Well, if ever you guys need the aid of a young Bothan to provide entertainment, aid in the relocation of important artifacts, haul supplies in the Jester, provide medical resources or just to keep your younglings upbeat through this challenging time, feel free to keep me in mind. I'm not sure what else I might be able to bring to the table other then some basics, sadly, non-Chiss that I am.

I'll be completely honest, the likelihood of a random Bothan being included on a secretive Chiss fleet, which is aimed to protect the Chiss species and keep them hidden from outside awareness, probably isn't high. But, once the plotting moves to outward interaction, I'm sure there's opportunity to get involved and whatever else.

If you really want to help with the first leg of the faction, another Chiss character would be ideal.

Lifelong Nerd, Roleplayer, Writer and Philosopher
the likelihood of a random Bothan being included on a secretive Chiss fleet, which is aimed to protect the Chiss species and keep them hidden from outside awareness, probably isn't high. But, once the plotting moves to outward interaction, I'm sure there's opportunity to get involved and whatever else.

No worries, I get what it's like to take lore/worldbuilding seriously - once you guys get to the point of outward interaction/expansion and if you want my aid or merely to give me a place entertaining a bunch of Chiss kids when you guys start expanding, I can show up at that point, too - that's really all I'm interested in, for the most part. I'm a bit too caught up to likely make a Chiss character at the moment, due to other things I've got going on, but I'll think about it. I'll be lurking and watching in the meantime, otherwise.

I hope you don't mind if I occasionally pop in to see what's going on.

I'm new to the site and new to writing Chiss (currently working to establish Har Har D'Saylyr the Unstable Gungan), but a group in rebuild mode seems like a great place to create a character and jump in.

I love the diaspora/BSG idea of working to rebuild and reclaim as a minor faction. I'm building this character around being an engineer with a side gig as a bard (in the historical sense, not the Dungeons & Dragons version: a professional story teller, verse-maker, music composer, oral historian and genealogist, employed by a patron (such as a monarch or noble) to commemorate one or more of the patron's ancestors and to praise the patron's own activities*).

As a further background, he's filthy stinking rich. His family banked fat dosh from government contracts in the military shipbuilding and materiel fields, rewarding them for both their expertise and their loyalty (think Dune's CHOAM, but for Chiss. We're Chisschoam TM). While most everything tangible was lost when Csilla got blown up (and I need to find out more about that, since I don't know anything currently), our funds we're stashed in enough places that we're still rolling in dough, even if we lost many of our tangible assets, thanks to good accountants and clever investing.

*Thanks, Wikipedia!

Last edited:

Kassandra

K
Definitely looking forward to helping out the rebuilding and lorebuilding of chiss society. Thinking that this chiss as an aristocrat that was off world when the maw attacked maybe more military minded if you want to think that far ahead if they go major and we need military people.

Thorne

T
I'm new to the site and new to writing Chiss (currently working to establish Har Har D'Saylyr the Unstable Gungan), but a group in rebuild mode seems like a great place to create a character and jump in.

I love the diaspora/BSG idea of working to rebuild and reclaim as a minor faction. I'm building this character around being an engineer with a side gig as a bard (in the historical sense, not the Dungeons & Dragons version: a professional story teller, verse-maker, music composer, oral historian and genealogist, employed by a patron (such as a monarch or noble) to commemorate one or more of the patron's ancestors and to praise the patron's own activities*).

As a further background, he's filthy stinking rich. His family banked fat dosh from government contracts in the military shipbuilding and materiel fields, rewarding them for both their expertise and their loyalty (think Dune's CHOAM, but for Chiss. We're Chisschoam TM). While most everything tangible was lost when Csilla got blown up (and I need to find out more about that, since I don't know anything currently), our funds we're stashed in enough places that we're still rolling in dough, even if we lost many of our tangible assets, thanks to good accountants and clever investing.

*Thanks, Wikipedia!

Welcome, glad to see a new and fresh Chiss face.

A nice angle for the character, and can be totally viable. Here's some intel To Help with any specific decisions or background points:

In the IC past, House Mitth has been in charge of shipbuilding for the CA, on Copero. There's a few submissions around about it, I can provide links later (on phone atm).

It's entirely possible that your family could have been both a big supplier of a ship resource (an ore for hulls, for example, or minerals for wiring or other aspects) on a colony world - which your family owned and made loads of credits from providing.

Additionally, members of your family could have also been shipwrights hired by Mitth, to help in design and manufacturing on Copero.

I'm happy to support whatever route you take IC, since the examples above are good ways to achieve your background goals - while maintaining existing swrp events.

Win-win!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

These are great tips! Maybe House Barraj worked in R&D and ore supply? The R&D would also lend credence to his claim of being an ace pilot, which, now that I think about it, would be even better if it were an exaggeration. Like he's a capable enough wingman, but his ego thinks he's "Kessel Run in 12 parsecs" good.

Thorne

T
Sounds good to me; and I've often used the over self-confidence trope with some characters, which can be a lot of fun.

Kassandra

K
Are we gonna start it immediately or are we going to have time to stretch our characters rping legs before the flotilla starts?

Thorne

T
Are we gonna start it immediately or are we going to have time to stretch our characters rping legs before the flotilla starts?

There had been an idea by Karisa Karisa to start with the evacuation of Sposia, since that was more recently claimed by the Maw, and had been one of the few last remaining Chiss worlds not taken over.

So, it could be possible to start with pre-flotilla threading and move into those evacuation situations, to then shift into the nomadic fleet aspect?

Entirely up to the group. Is there a preference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom