Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Geek Squad

Despite his mad dash to get back to the safety of his suit, Zoar heard the trailed-off words of his fellow padawan. Once within the power armor, he shrugged robotically. //I'm sure there's a way you can make it up to me someday. We'll figure it out.//

His voice wasn't just modified by the suits speakers. He sounded more confident from within. More comfortable.
//Let me know if it stops again. It was nice to meet you.//

He paused a moment.

//Bye.//

Leaving his materials on the table, Zoar stomped towards the hallway, surprised that the conversation, however brief, had left him pleasantly happy, rather than exhausted.

- Thelma Goth Thelma Goth -

A few days later, Thelma ran into Zoar again. Well, not exactly—Thelma knew they had at least one class together, a course on Ataru, and so she sought him out there.

Before the class started, she approached the mech suit which held the Miln. “Hi Zoar,” she greeted him. “This is for you.

She held up her hand. Clutching in her fingers was a piece of silky cloth, large enough to be a bandana, or perhaps an oversized handkerchief. In one corner she had embroidered ZOAR in Aurebesh.

Zoar never looked forward to Ataru training.

In his mech, Zoar was undoubtedly the biggest, bulkiest being in the class. There was no way Golem was going to perform all of the flips and maneuvers that were hallmarks of the form. Even the basics emphasized speed and ferocity, qualities that were generally absent from Zoar's fighting style.

But still, he showed up. Because he wanted to prove that he could be a Jedi. To Master Arani, to the rest of the Order, to himself...

Usually, he would have counted nobody even looking at him as a victory. But he was happy to see one familiar face recognize him.

//Oh! Hi, Thelma,// he returned, the mech still like a statue, despite the animated voice within. //What's that?//

Zoar stuck out his hand, accepting the little cloth, and inspecting it with growing recognition.
//You... made something? F-for me? That's... really nice. Thanks.//

Yes,” Thelma chirped happily. “You’re welcome.

Not long after she gave him the gift, the class started. Ataru was swiftly becoming Thelma’s preferred lightsaber form. Not only did it appeal to her smaller frame, she also had few difficulties adapting to the more acrobatic style, due to her superhuman strength and speed.

Today the students were partnered off in pairs to practice the form together, and lo and behold, Thelma was matched to Zoar.

//Hey, it's you and me!//

Best-case scenario, honestly. The mech trundled up to Thelma, stopping short and holding the hilt of an enormous greatsaber in one durasteel fist. Their instructor, a human with electric-green eyes, had let the class know that they would have some time to run through the form with their partner, before 'the true test began', whatever that meant.

Zoar assumed that meant sparring, but really, it was hard to tell sometimes.

//C-could you maybe...// Zoar stammered, bashfully igniting his lightsaber, the blade of magenta light roaring like a flame projector, or a big cat. //Go over the steps with me again? I'm... Four isn't really one of my strengths...//

Thelma couldn’t help but beam at Zoar’s excitement. It was nice to have somebody happy to be her partner for once.

She turned down the intensity of her lightsaber before igniting it. Her blade was pink with a black core.

Okay,” she said. “Here’s how you do it…

She went over the steps, which became increasingly acrobatic. After finishing, it occurred to her that Zoar might have some difficulty accomplishing them in his heavy mech suit. “Hey Zoar, do you ever fight outside your suit?” she asked.

Zoar's faceplate obviously turned towards Thelma's pink and black blade, admiring it unabashedly. //Cool lightsaber,// he commented, smiling within his mech at the similarities of their blades' colors.

The movements were obviously difficult for the mech to complete. It was easy enough at first, as Thelma walked him through the positions, but the more complex the form got, the less Zoar could make his suit do, until he had to give up altogether, having to focus on the basics.

Hey Zoar, do you ever fight outside your suit?

//Mmmmm... Not really. Not... at all. No.// Zoar continued to try the steps, his lightclub swinging powerfully through the air, despite the mech's lousy footwork, and despite the panic simmering in his voice. //It doesn't work for me. My master wants me to, but... I can barely be in the same room as people without my suit. No way I can keep my cool if someone's swinging a weapon at me.//

//Hey, you sure you wanna be a Consular? You're really good at this.//

"You too."

Zoar said that he didn't practice outside the suit, though he also mentioned that his master wanted him to. "Am I that scary?" she asked with a giggle. "I was gonna say, it would probably be a lot easier to practice this if you were a small guy rather than a big guy." Zoar was unique in that he could switch between the two. Provided he was ever able to conquer his fears, that is.

"Pretty sure I can still be a Consular and do Ataru," she said. "I'm like Yoda, flipping and dipping all around the battlefield." She did a flip to demonstrate. "Anyway, if you have to stay in the suit, do you want me to go easy on you? Because I'm pretty sure I could kick your butt with this Form."

"Am I that scary?"

The suit sighed.
//Yeah. A little.//

Comparatively, of course, Thelma was one of the least intimidating people he'd known since becoming a Jedi. But that didn't stop something ancient in his blood from telling him she was a predator.

//And... no. It would not be easier. Trust me.//

The image of a little green Thelma doing flips and rolls around a warzone got Zoar to regain some of his happiness, as he giggled from within his suit.
//I can see that look working for ya. Jedi Master Yelma.// Her confidence at defeating the mech was met by a clicking tongue.

//You should always be careful around heavy machinery,// he chided, though there was a sly smile coloring his words as he adjusted the power of his saber. //Kick my butt, and you break your toes.//

The power armor set a simple stance. If he wanted to be a Guardian, that meant doing things that were hard. Including this.

//Don't you dare go easy on me.//

//Yeah. A little.//

"Awww." Looking up at Zoar, she endeavored to look as cute and non-threatening as possible.

She beamed at being called Jedi Master Yelma, then grinned at his challenge. "Okay. You ready?"

As soon as he gave the go-ahead, Thelma leaped into the air, executing a series of fast and acrobatic attacks aimed at Zoar's head and shoulders. She even managed to flip over and land behind him at one point, though it was difficult and her heel scraped the top of his dome in the process. It was tiring, though she was enjoying herself too much to stop.

She was fast.

There was little the mech could do to keep up, while trying to stay true to the Ataru style. Perhaps if he were allowed to indulge in a bit of light Djem-So...

No. Stay strong.

The mech was able to get his blade inbetween himself and an acrobatic Thelma, pink clashing against pink. In opposition to the smaller padawan's style, Zoar moved without grace or flow, yet each motion was mechanically precise, mathematical angles attempting to keep up with her speed.

Of course, he couldn't. Thelma scored blow after blow against his thick armor plates, and Zoar couldn't hope to keep up. But he tried nonetheless, his waist twisting completely around to follow her trajectory.

He could only manage one counterattack, greatclub crashing down in a downward slash that was certainly more Five than Four.

Thelma was doing well. Zoar could barely keep up with her. Maybe she should ease up a little, just so that this didn’t turn into a flex fest. She didn’t want to embarrass him—

But then Zoar’s blade came down nearly on her head. “You singed my hair!” she exclaimed, eyes narrowing. Rather than easing up, she went full throttle, pouncing on Zoar and swinging with all her might.

There was a moment, however fleeting, that Zoar felt a little flash of accomplishment. He'd managed to tag her back, if only burning her hair a little. Maybe he could do this?

But then she glared at him. And he felt that pinch of fear return, his throat closing around his apology.
//S-s-s...//

She pounced, and Zoar stepped back reflexively, completely abandoning any pretense of Ataru. He hurriedly parried a few blows, even more slipping through his knee-jerk defenses, until he managed to recover his wits, rotating the blade at high speeds between him and an invigorated Thelma to create some distance.
//Sorry! D-didn't mean to!//

Though Zoar hadn't realized yet, they had gained the attention of the Ataru instructor.

Thelma wasn’t even that mad at Zoar. It was more a shock reaction to her hair getting burnt, and assuming that he wasn’t playing fair. That move wasn’t even Ataru, it was something else, she was sure of it…

Once he started to spin his blade, she was forced to stand back—and felt a hand grip her shoulder.

“What’s going on here?” the instructor asked.

Thelma, never very talkative, mumbled something about Zoar’s difficulties with Ataru.

Finally, there was some space. Now, Zoar had time to think. If he timed it just right, maybe he could catch Thelma mid-air with...

When the instructor interrupted their duel, Zoar squeaked in surprise, his lightsaber disengaging as he flinched. The instructor had approached him from the front. Why had it spooked him so much? Was he that focused on their duel?

He muttered something incoherent about his difficulties with Ataru, too, and added on a little incoherent bit about not meaning to burn her hair, either. Would the instructor be upset with him... completely abandoning the lesson?

...Yeah. Probably.

Whoops.

The instructor patiently listened to their mumbling, his arms crossed.

“Padawan Zoar,” he began, carefully hiding his amusement—though his green eyes twinkled with mirth. “It may be that Ataru is not the best fit for you. But if you’re going to attend an Ataru class, you need to be doing Ataru.” Turning to Thelma, he added, "Padawan Goth, you need to learn to better control your emotions. Your hair will grow back."

Thelma gulped, then bowed her head. "Yes, Master Chanticleer."

Don't get defensive, don't get defensive, don't get defensive...

Despite Master Chanticleer's obvious amusement, Zoar felt the sting of defeat as he addressed them, the mech's head dipping to the ground, both as a respectful bow, and an admission of fault.
//Y-yeah, Master. Sorry, Master.//

As the Ataru instructor went to critique another pair's form, Zoar turned his body to face the newly-singed Padawan.
//Is... your hair gonna be okay?//

//I'mreallysorryIdidthat, Ikindajustletinstincttakeoverabit...// Feeling himself stumble over his own words, Zoar got quiet. Just in time for the next portion of their class to be announced.

Jedi often fought in pairs against the Forces of the Dark Side. As Master and Apprentice, mostly. So it was important to learn how to support a partner in a duel. So it would be two-versus-two bouts, with randomly-chosen opponents.

//I-I-If you want...// he stammered, crossing his arms defensively. //Y-you can find someone else. I wouldn't be mad, I swear. I'm just... like, really bad at this, and I kinda messed up your 'do, so... Yeah, I'd get it.//

I think so,” Thelma said, touching her hair. “Sorry for… going a little crazy on you.

Zoar sputtered something out too fast for Thelma to really understand him. “Huh?” she asked, but the instructor was already moving on with the lesson, forcing her to turn her attention away from the furry in a mech suit.

They were being paired off to fight other pairs as part of training to work together in duels. Zoar offered to pair her off with somebody else. But Thelma shook her head. “Nah. We won’t be fighting each other this time, so if anything happens you’ll singe somebody else’s hair.

With that decided, the dynamic duo faced off against their opponents. "I'll take the Twi'lek, you take the Rodian?" she suggested, holding her blade at the ready.

Zoar realized that things maybe weren't as bad as he'd feared them to be.

Thelma wasn't still mad at him. There was an audible sigh of relief as she affirmed they would be working together. To be honest, he wouldn't have been comfortable having anyone else fighting alongside him. He hadn't even talked to anyone else in the room, and Thelma had been nice to him.
//Oh. Okay. Sick.//

Their opponents made themselves known. A Rodian and a Twi'lek. Zoar sized them up as best as he could. If his hands had been flesh and blood, they would've been white-knuckling his weapon. They both looked lithe, but muscular- the type that would excel at the acrobatics necessary, and they walked like they knew it. For her part, the blue-skinned Twi'lek offered the two of them a shark-like grin. "Thank you for the duel," she said, lighting her cyan blade with the utmost confidence. She had no doubts who would be winning this duel, and it wasn't the bumbling droid and pale pipsqueak.

"I'll take the Twi'lek, you take the Rodian?"

//Yeah, 'kay.// The magenta greatsaber roared to life once more, falling into the most neutral Ataru pose he could.

The Twi'lek padawan rushed towards Thelma, executing a completely unnecessary handspring before launching into a series of quick slashes. Zoar took a half-step back, preparing to intercept his own opponent.

//Oh. Okay. Sick.//

Based,” Thelma agreed.

Her opponent was bigger than her and more visibly muscular. The Twi’lek seemed to regard Thelma as easy prey, underestimating her abilities based on her size. She was in for a rude awakening as the little vampiress lashed out with superhuman speed, catching her as she was coming out of the handspring.

The Twi’lek’s eyes widened. She was forced to adapt, but those seconds of unpreparedness could’ve cost her dearly. The duel continued in a frantic fashion, with Thelma and the Rutian fighting like birds in flight with the acrobatic athleticism of Ataru. Hopefully Zoar was doing well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom