Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forward Unto Dawn [Protectorate]

When Sarge had been new to the Pyre, later to become the Protectorate, the step down from the Protector had been the Exarchs. He remembered two, specifically, but at some point that two had evolved into a planetary affair. The signature on the paperwork said Ayden had his hand in that. The mercenary group turned government had gone about their ability to run planets the same way they'd run military contracting.

Quiet, efficient, and out of the way.

The Bando Gora had been a threat for a long time, and the Protectorate took taxes so they could protect the shipping lanes. No harsh measures were imposed on the worlds. No trade was controlled. Each world could do as its peoples so chose, provided of course that didn't involve the Sith. At the very least, that's how Sarge always perceived their government. Funny thing about perception was it changed for everyone.

One person's freedom was another man's slavery.

But today was a day to bring things back to the start. No more planetary exarchs - they didn't have the worlds for it anyway. Instead, he would have four - if possible - and go from there. [member="Coryth Elaris"] had been his first choice, and he was finalizing her paperwork now. Because that wasn't an awkward situation. For the first time ever... he'd held his tongue. It was for the best in his mind but that didn't make it any easier.

Inhaling deeply, he looked to the right side of his desk, fingers flickering over the keys of the computer set there. "With you, we'll need three more. Ideas." He states flatly.

Business. Business was good. No need to get personal.

....he had become [member="Cira"]. Kark.

Coryth sighed heavily as she looked down, her eyes on the desk. Oh yeah .... this is totally awkward. It had only been a few years ago now, when she sat across the desk, the same desk. The person behind it was different. It was Cira then, who spoke her through her options for a job within the Protectorate. And now ... now she was here.... about to sign the final papers to become Exarch. She'd never led anyone before. Nothing more than a small team of people. She'd always been a bit of a wanderer, a loner. The idea that she'd hold authority over military powers, planning missions, helping to guard trade routes and helping with disputes between planets ... It certainly didn't seem to be her thing, but ... with the Exarch position she could help a lot more people than she ever could on her own.

She sighed again finally looking up. "I'd suggest [member="Anya Venari"] as she's been Exarch of Kaeshana for some time. She's also their queen and politics is nothing new to her." It's just business, this isn't personal here Cory. Remember that. "Perhaps [member="Feena Mason"], she too is a ruler as well and might do well with the position. Otherwise we might turn to some in the military and see who best fits the bill. However, I'm not as familiar with those in the military. Perhaps you'd know of someone else who fits our needs."

[member="Sarge Potteiger"]

His lips curled down in a frown, a hand lifting to faintly tug at the corner of his blouse. The old, faded cammies had seen better days. Hell, he'd last worn the stuff when he'd first started at the Pyre. But it felt good, almost like coming home. A sad smile fluttered its way across his face, complicated eyes lifting to scan the woman across from him. "A politician is good. Feena is a pacifist if I remember correctly, so... hell, between you and her I'm outclassed on the ability to beat someones face in."

Frowning faintly, turning his chair around to look out the large bank of thick windows that gave an unparalleled view of the Fondor skyline. Inhaling deeply, brow furrowing, he propped an elbow on the armrest and rested his cheek against a raised fist. Folding one leg over the other, the man closed his eyes and grew silent for a few, long moments. Corek was, at this point in time, the only military person he knew.

He wasn't entirely sold on the idea of him being in charge, though. It took a certain kind of commander to run a government, and even he was stretched a bit thin on expertise at this point. "For once, I only know of two people. Ivy and Corek. But Ivy is old, and a mercenary to the core. Corek, well, he's a less tight lipped me with all the boyish good looks I never had. We really don't need that right now."

[member="Coryth Elaris"]

Noah Corek

Cocked, Locked and a Smoking Barrel
Factory Judge
[member="Coryth Elaris"] [member="Sarge Potteiger"]

Noah sighed as he sat in the lobby of the Prex Towers, he had to admit, he was miffed. It wasn't because the chair was uncomfortable or there wasn't refreshments. Quite the opposite on both terms, it was for another reason entirely. "The second in command of the most elite private military corporation in the galaxy and I have to wait in a lobby like some type of aide or reporter." Noah said a bit louder than he meant to, which gained the attention of the two aides behind the desk and the three reporters talking to them. "Yeah, I said it. What're you going to do about it?" Noah asked a bit hotly. Most of the time Noah wouldn't have cared but not today, today was the first day Noah hadn't touched a drop of alchol since he was eighteen, so about seventeen years considering the fact that Noah was thirty-five. "Melissa, I love you sweetheart but sometimes being your father is a pain."

Meanwhile, At the Protectors Office

There came a slight knock on the door of the Protectors door and it was opened to reveal one of the many secretaries that the Protector most likely had. "Protector Potteiger? Colonel Corek is here to see you. He seems agitated and jittery. More so than usual though and for once I couldn't smell booze on his breath. Not even a trace."

Coryth nodded slowly, understanding Sarge's meaning too well. "I understand, I do."

Leaning forward she rubbed a hand at her forehead thinking through the list of possibilities. "Corek I know. He might do alright. However I know nothing of Ivy." Not even her last name. "If she is a mercenary to the core, will she even want such a position?" She had to ask.

"Also while we are going through this, who did you plan to be the Senior most Exarch, the one that should be your successor as to not leave a power vacuum if something should happen to you." The redhead just trying to make sure every detail was covered. Even the ones no one liked to think about. It was sadly the nature of the game.

Her attention was soon drawn to the door, and she sighed softly. This didn't seem like a good start to things, if Corek was already in an agitated mood. And it seemed alcohol was a problem as well, especially if the secretary was noting that there wasn't a drop on his breath. To Coryth that showed it had been enough of a problem in the past to note. Someone like that could be dangerous. "Corek I can agree on. If his drinking will not interfere with the job. If it will, perhaps we need to be looking elsewhere." That part, right then concerned her a great deal.

"So Anya Venari, myself, and possibly Corek as well as Ivy? If she even wants the position." The little Jedi spoke quietly, thinking through every possibility. "Perhaps we should let him in and have that conversation here and now." After all it was up to Corek to make that choice whether he could handle the position, and whether or not drinking would be a problem.

[member="Sarge Potteiger"] | [member="Noah Corek"]

"Ivy won't take it. Feena is concerned for Naboo - that's her primary focus. I wouldn't pull her away from that until she showed an interest in moving higher up." He didn't begrudge her that. Corellia was known for the patriotism of its offspring, and so to have someone willing to so steadfastly care for a planet was normal. You got attached. That was the way of things. Hell, he'd been content to be an NCO for a long, long time.

This was much the same thing. Fault not the person who is happy with what they have.

But in the interests of happiness, there was a disgruntled Corek here, it seemed. Turning the chair around, eyes wide in a manner that indicated he was about half a second away from a snarl and anger, Sarge quickly - with a composure he'd not had early on - settled his features into a neutral one. Nothing was wrong here, at least on the outside. Still, he made no effort to hide the hand the rose to rub at his eyes.

"I think if its to the point the aide has to tell me he hasn't had booze today maybe we should hold off on promoting him. Hell, no one said we need all of them at once. If we put you and Anya up, that leaves two positions open for people to prove themselves for. As for most senior, that would likely be you - you're the first person to be signed in. Time in grade." He snorted.

Their entire system was a mess. He felt like they were backtracking just to right the ship and in the process no one knew what was really going on or why.

But that was why Coryth was here. To keep him from getting bogged down and forgetting to move forward. Complacency was always his biggest enemy, and he liked to blame it on the fact that for years he couldn't do anything without orders. It doesn't prepare you all that well for when you have to start giving the orders. Inhaling quietly, he gave a faint tap on the desk.

"Let [member="Noah Corek"] in."

[member="Coryth Elaris"]

The redhead nodded again, "I understand too well with Ivy. I wouldn't be taking the position myself if I didn't feel that I can help more people with the position, than I can without it." She sighed, running a hand through her hair. "You know me, my only goal in life has been to help others. Which in this case, it gives me a lot more people to watch out for and a lot more resources in which to help." The tiny woman managed a smile at that. In that part of things she was happy. But still accepting this, it was a huge responsibility that was going to soon be resting on her shoulders.

Coryth bit at her lip for a moment, "Yeah, I guess you are right about that. She cares deeply for Naboo but she would need to expand her reach beyond Naboo and work with other planets, caring just as much about them too, if she were to step up into that position." Another sigh, "Perhaps we can offer her a trial run? See if she can manage things beyond Naboo, and if not we then can look for another to replace her?" It would at least give someone else who had experience in politics and running a planet a chance to help them out in that respect.

Coryth shook her head, a most grim expression upon her lips as they moved on to talking about Noah again. "I do agree. Such things concern me in a potential ruler of many planets. However, if he seeks treatment at an approved facility perhaps then we can reconsider our position upon him in time." After all rehab was probably a good place for Noah to be, if it really was normal for him to be drinking so often that it was the exception to the rule for him to not be. It seemed like it would be a good thing for the young man, and help him to get his life more in order before he took on any more responsibility.

Once more she nodded, "Anya was a planetary Exarch for a while. So she does have more experience than I. But if you feel that I'm the best choice to be the Senior Exarch then I will accept the that." Maybe she could provide Sarge some stability, keep him in line and help with further with his duties as Lord Protector. Maybe be there to be the calm voice of reason when things got a little out of hand. "Should we go ahead and contact her, see if she is available to appear via holocom? I could step out and make the call myself if you would like to talk with Corek alone."

One more sigh, Coryth could hardly help it at this point. The fate of a nation was in their hands and they were helping to set the course for its future. "I also agree, you are right. No one said we had to have them all at once." It just meant in the mean time the chosen Exarchs would be taking on more and watching over even more planets until other Exarchs could be found and appointed.

She then nodded, and stepped up heading for the door... She then paused for a moment, composed herself with a soft welcoming smile upon her lips and opened the door. "Noah, come on in and join us please. We have much to discuss."

[member="Noah Corek"] | [member="Sarge Potteiger"] | [member="Anya Venari"]

Noah Corek

Factory Judge
[member="Coryth Elaris"] [member="Sarge Potteiger"]

Noah stood and smiled back towards the door. The agitation that was usually there gone as he walked, he wasn't agitated before due to the fact that he hadn't drank yet, it was because he had to wait. While Noah was arrogant or pompous he was a bit miffed that even with his high ranking within the Protectorate he had to wait.

He smiled as he squeezed past Coryth and had to refrain from chuckling. Noah was a large man, large was actually a understatement, Noah was six foot and six inches tall, standing near the height that would be considered short for Wookiees. When you compared him to the small stature of Coryth it was a bit comical. 'Well the Protectorate attracts people from all walks of life.' Noah thought to himself as he snapped of a small and informal salute to Potteiger and took his.

"You know you are the fifth Protector I've have visited in this office. Cira, Alcori, Cater and HK were the first four. It kinda makes me feel old, even though I'm only thirty-five. Anyway, I guess your wondering why I am here. I need a bit more funding for the Exoskeleton Project. Me and Ven'Rain have all the kinks worked out in the original design but I need the funding to get them produced and circulate them to the Pyre forces. From there field testing will begin and if it is successful we can start circulating them to the ODF ground forces. I might also have a design for a ground-to-space proton cannon for planetary defense." Noah informed them, well more specifically Potteiger.

"We can contact Anya together once Corek is handled in some fashion or another." The more he thought of it, the more he wasn't sold on Corek as an Exarch. But he'd deal with that another time. No one was saying they had to make such important decisions right now. Reaching a finger up to scratch at the patch of skin between his brows, he looked from tiny redhead to door.

On the other side was himself, if he was less reserved and more willing to speak out about what he'd accomplished. It still baffled him that, biologically speaking, Corek was 'older' than him. But he wasn't going to utter a word. Cira was the only immediate person who came to mind who knew his real age, and she was as much of a ghost as anyone else who knew. Cater among them.

400 years.

It was a long time to make killing your job. Maybe he had earned a rest behind a desk after all. "And yes, you should be senior Coryth. Anya has made it clear in our brief past dealings her primary concern is Kaeshana. Your primary concern has always been the welfare of everyone." Giving a curiously reserved smile, he watched Corek come in. Same as ever. He looked 15 years younger than he was.

Funny how life handled people differently.

Sarge looked fifteen older some days. He wanted to say something more on Feena, but that wasn't a discussion to have with Corek in the room. A brow rose at the mention of his age, but then again it was as good a lead in as any other. But if he was miffed, Sarge didn't show much concern over it. Be it because he was in a hurry, or because he had to wait, it mattered little.

Everyone waited for the Protector, because if there was one thing you could count on with Sarge, its that everything would get done on his time. He was selfish like that. But he wasn't familiar with the exoskeleton project, and he hadn't worked very closely with Corek before. So he needed to look this over. Pulling it up, he motioned for Corek to sit down while he scanned it over.

Light, relatively speaking. Allowed greater mobility. Versatile. All things the OmegaPyre prided itself on - quick, maneuver warfare. Why steamroll through the opposition when you could strike quickly, eliminate priority targets and then keep going?

Making a quiet noise, he gave a quiet nod. "I'll release more funding for the Exoskeleton, but its up to you to keep it within budget and on time." Quirking his lips, he added. "A proton cannon? Our fleets have proven more than capable of holding their own against all opposition, meaning I can't imagine they'll need the fire support or that a planetary defense cannon would even be necessary.

But... I'm admittedly interested in seeing how you're going to go about this. Planetary defense weapon emplacements are under just about every rock you check. Sit down, run it through some design programs. Come back to me with a prototype blueprint and specifications and we'll see what we might be willing to do. Because the fact you said you might have a design tells me you haven't completed it to a satisfactory extent yet."

[member="Coryth Elaris"] [member="Noah Corek"]

The firemane nodded, "Of course. We'll do that then." She said quietly as she waited for Corek to now enter.

Pursing her lips together, she thought about it for a moment. "I understand. I appreciate your faith in me, Sarge." And so it would be that the small woman would be the second to Sarge, the most senior Exarch of the bunch they chose.It was such an odd thing for her to think about. A position of power like this, had never been her goal. Though, Her thoughts always were on the welfare of others, even at the cost to herself. It was a fatal flaw of hers. Though one she was getting better about. Getting better about not dashing off into dangerous situations without foresight to prepare herself accordingly. Without bringing the necessary guards with her to keep her safe. Things were planned now, and there was no rushing off for the glory of helping people without thought to herself. Too many people relied on her now."I thank you for the position. I will do my best to help those I can through it." So much responsibility rested on her shoulders now. Would she rise to the occasion or was she doomed to fall? Only time would tell. Coryth never had held that kind of responsibility before that moment.

She listened patiently as the two men talked over the Exoskeleton. Taking a datapad she too looked it over, however she had a question to ask that had little to do with the tech itself. "Mister Corek, I must ask something. The secretary seemed to believe you had not had a drop of alcohol today. That you seemed agitated in that manner. The way she spoke, seemed to make me believe this was the exception, you not drinking rather than the rule. If so, I have to say this is something we need to address before we can truly look into contract matters. Your company I'm sure can handle without you for a spell. If this is so, as the aide put it maybe it is time you consider rehabilitation to make sure you stay on track. You could be on your way to bigger and better things within the protectorate as long as your drinking is kept to a minimum." She said with a sigh. Hating to have to bring matters like this up, but she could not let this one pass her by.

[member="Sarge Potteiger"] | [member="Noah Corek"] | [member="Anya Venari"] - Will tag you in, in a few posts more.

[member="Sarge Potteiger"] [member="Coryth Elaris"] [member="Noah Corek"]

Knight had been busy... mostly trying to figure out what to do but catching up as she stood on the Nirvana and moved at its top speeds to go and meet the new lord protector. She was/had been exarch from Ayden on Thyferra and had fought with the protectorate for awhile. She pulled her hair back into a single tail and let it shirt into her skin as short pink hair remained while she wore more of a business suit when the ship arrived. Eyes flicking back and forth before she was walking to meet with the others who were here.

Noah Corek

Factory Judge
[member="Sarge Potteiger"] [member="Coryth Elaris"]
OOC: Sorry for the tardiness. I've been in and out of urgent care's, doctors offices and hospitals all week due to being ill.

"I've got a few prelimenary drawings and schematics. Basically what I'm thinking about is a proton cannon about three times larger than say a J-1 Semi-Autonomous Proton Cannon. A J-1 could breach the shields of a Acclamator-class assault ship so just imagine what something three times bigger could do. Add to the fact that I also plan for it to be electrically acceleracted like a railgun. While yes I understand that our ships can hold their own against all other ships in the galaxy this would also give them an edge and for smaller planets it would help them bolster their defenses if they don't have a large fleet."

When Noah heard Coryth starting to speak he began to listen but truly wished he hadn't. Once she was done Noah sighed and rubbed his hand over his face, trying to refrain his anger at people for butting into it business that wasn't theirs. "I'm going to try and be nice about this and keep my anger under control. I do not nor have I ever had a drinking problem. Do I have a occasional drink? Yes. Due I have a drink everyday? No usually only once or twice a week. Have I been hitting the bottle a little harder than usual? Yes. But I do not have a drinking problem and I don't need rehab. My daughters and my son are there to help me and I trust and respect them more than I ever would a doctor. So Elaris trust me, my drinking is under control and that aide should mind her own business."

Sarge, seated behind the desk, flickered his gaze from one to the other. For some reason, despite Coryth's tiny size, she seemed larger than Noah. Then again, Corek had always, in his mind, been a shorter man than he. The same went for Jak. Jak had been a beanstalk but... he'd always forgotten that. At least until the next time he saw him. It was a presence game, and the way Noah ran his hand over his face said it all.

There was a drinking problem.

The first step was admitting it.

Sarge knew as well as any other that what made you the angriest the quickest was usually the truth. Lies were insidious, the anger they brought out low key and cold. It took repeated lies to get you to blow. But the truth? Well, that was a tripwire.

A tripwire set to several thermal detonators of rage. He himself had had a drinking problem at one point, but waking up in a pile of vomit with your booty call writing reports nearby like this was an everyday occurrence had sobered him up real quick. Said Zeltron was the only one to know about that, ever. "Did you stop and consider that increasing the speed of the projectile would actually make it not breach the shields?"

Because that was a real possibility. Most missiles made it through shields by going slower than the shields were designed to handle. Magnetically accelerating a shield would turn it into just about any other projectile weapon ever. It would have to batter down the shields, then reload and kill. That would defeat the purpose. Increasing the size and firepower of a gun didn't always make it better.

Large shells often had a harder time penetrating, even if they did more explosive damage.

Ayden would know, though, for sure. Man knew ships like he knew his own manhood. He didn't mention the drinking. He wasn't going to push those buttons just now. But he did mentally file away the reaction. His gut told him this wasn't going to be a good choice. Not at the moment. Gut instinct took over. Listen to the gut. Always listen to the gut. As for the person he didn't know was arriving, well, Knight would have to wait her turn like everyone else.

[member="Coryth Elaris"] [member="Noah Corek"] [member="Knight"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom