Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Forges of Rishii [Tiland]

Forges of Rishii

Tags: Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun | @Rimward Trade League

It had been a decade since Pyeth walked these lands, a fertile valley that supported the lives of his local flock and much more was now under threat. The Horizon Corporation, operating under the Corporate Authority had taken advantage of the industries left behind by a now-defunct Confederacy. With former treaties and agreements null and void there was little to stop them from expanding those operations. The local pirates, who traditionally may have resisted, were all too accepting of their new masters who offered through contracts gave them legitimacy to pillage rival enterprises and uproot the more problematic natives.

Their objective was simply to connect with his flock, and if possible get a better picture of the situation before any offensive could be made.

They had seen as much in the former spaceport, now a great city of iron and stone. "As a child, I might have climbed into the canopy to marvel at the ability of outworlders to tame nature." He said bitterly, looking back, the greens and browns of the wildwood now supplanted by silvery structures, his eyes pinning on the blazing-orange banners of the Corporate Authority, with their enigmatic symbols waving in the unbroken wind.

The earth was rustic red, covered in strange powder-like dust that soaked into his cloak and feathers exposed to the rain. The smog, heavier than air was, for better or worse, was trapped in the valley. With every step, his talons sunk deeper into the tar-like mud that had replaced the soft granular dirt as he led them towards the powder-coated forests. Trying his best to ignore the patrols of guards and their treaded transports laden with raw materials for the construction of another Exonium processing plant nearby.

At first, Pyeth had done well to ignore them, playing the part of a weary traveller who had nothing of value. And thus, hardly worth their time. This particular group was different, as he sensed some were not like the others and looked up to freeze in his tracks.

Rishi?

A pair of Rishi was travelling with them, not as prisoners, or unfortunate travellers but as comrades. They were no older than him, and while he could not say he recognised them as his flock he couldn't deny himself that possibility either. The shock turned to anger, and for a brief second, the Force twisted into a vortex as he considered crushing them beneath its weight. He glanced back to Tiland grinding his beak, "Please tell me my eyes deceive me?"

Pyeth Raffinki Pyeth Raffinki

Tiland strolled along slowly, letting the gentle rhythm of his quarterstaff meld with his gait, letting the feeling of the world seep into his consciousness.

It was... off. There had been something very vibrant, very living, and it still remained in places in the distance, but the landscape was blighted and suffering. Tension lingered beneath the surface and greed bubbled through the presence.

Corporate greed. Environmental destruction. Cultural erosion. Everything the League had feared would happen as the Lux Astra Corporate Authority moved in.

Rage surged next him and Tiland's attention shot back to the area around them. It practically burned from Pyeth next to him.

Tiland lifted one hand slightly, brushing Pyeth's wing gently, before speaking. "Yes, I see it, certainly. That should come as no surprise, I think. Wherever this is money and power, there are those who would turn against their community to benefit. Some are ambitious, some are restless, some looking for something. Let us speak to them before we smash them."

He gave a half-smile and a quirk of an eyebrow.

He regarded his fellow Rishii for a moment, wondering what had drawn them into serving the enemy.

The Rishii tribes were many, but none had ever invested much interest in the affairs of lowlanders. Galactic credits held little value, preferring instead to trade with Cattle and Trinkets they had collected for their mountain dwellings.

But then again, they had never been threatened like this before. Maybe it was out of necessity, a lack of food or like him charmed by the prospects offered by a wider galaxy.

"You make a provoking point," Pyeth conceded, advancing slowly upon the small convoy. There was two transports, powered by repulsion lifts.

The first, occupied by the Rishii that concerned Pyeth was carrying durasteel beams. A heavy cargo that strained the machines cold spirit.

Refocusing his efforts, Pyeth turned his attention to one of its engines enveloping it in the gathered energy. Closing his palm just slightly caused the metal to groan.

The nearby guards exchanged a worried look, then leapt back as the engine momentarily failed. What appeared to be one of the workers leapt as the machinery momentarily buckled, causing several crates of cargo to fall into the mud.

"Damnit all!" He shouted, while a guard darted back to halt the second behind it.

Pyeth looked back at Tiland shrugging playfully, "What spontaneous bad luck they have. Perhaps, we might offer some assistance?"

"Or leave them to their misery?" He asked, with amusement. "My tribe are nearby in the mountains."

Tiland frowned and rested his elbow on the top of the walking staff. He had felt the movement in the Force as his companion used it to damage the engine on one of the machines. It was not inherently Dark Side, nor necessarily violent, but it was also impulsive. And unnecessary. That troubled him somewhat.

Power, even meant for good, was a slippery slope, to use it to solve all problems, and that was where things became dangerous. The Force could do many things, but one of the great dangers that led to the Dark Side was using it as a hammer to force one's will on the world around them.

At the question, he turned around, considering Pyeth. "Do you know how to repair engines?" His mustache quirked as he smiled. "I must confess that I have no knowledge on fixing engines. I don't think I can help them any. Perhaps we should press on to your tribe in the mountains. But we will remember their vehicles."

Tiland was not the least bit amused, his senior frowning. Pyeth didn't need the Force to tell him his mentor was disappointed, frustrated even by his actions. Why? They had earned at least some misfortune. Did Tiland expect him to overlook the straits of devastation in hopes of finding a peaceful resolution? They had tried that. It failed and through his inaction, he would only accelerate the death of all he loved. He couldn't expect Tiland to understand, and yet his Mentor's dissatisfaction troubled him as though he broke an unspoken rule.

"No. I do not even know how your kind builds such marvels." He conceded. Inspecting the damage from afar, it was not insignificant surprising even himself with the handy work. Despite Tiland's displeasure, he couldn't feel sorry for them, and disturbingly he hoped this would not be the end of their misfortune.

Pyeth continued until they had reached the gradual incline of hills leading into the mountains, following what looked to be a poorly maintained cobblestone pavement leading into a pass not far beyond. As they drew closer his body grew heavier, reliving painful memories from his childhood and beginning to feel the burdens that still weighed upon him from the exile.

He had never shared the nature of his exile with anyone before, but if this was too work. If Tiland was to truly help his people, then he couldn't hide any more secrets. His pace slowed to a stop as he approached an old storehouse. The Rishii had used this long ago to store meat and other perishable foods. The stone and shadow of the mountain helped keep the food cool and began to imagine what they might find inside to eat.

What he found was a bit anti-climatic, and his posture slumped in disappointment as his gizzard groaned hungrily. There was nothing to speak of, the place was abandoned and the back wall collapsed under the weight of roots and ivy.

"It won't be far now," Pyeth said, hoping to reassure Tiland who he expected might be less appreciative of the uphill climb. Finding a seat on a toppled wooden beam, he glanced up at his Mentor allowing him the time to get comfortable. "Before we met with my tribe, there is something I should share with you." Pyeth whistled nervously.

There was a swirl of other emotions he was picking up from Pyeth, but Tiland said nothing. If Pyeth wanted a lesson, he would ask, and if he had thoughts, the same.

But then, homeworlds were complicated. He knew his emotions would be complex and shaded by many things if they were to visit Anzat. Lots of dark memories and lots of dark emotions as well.

The ground began to rise and it grew steeper as they walked until they came to a ruined building. Disappointment this time, and not necessary to use the Force. He could see it in Pyeth's body language and the grumbling that emerged from what he guessed was the equivalent of a humanoid's stomach.

At the next words, he nodded and settled himself down on another timber, turning to inspect the building. "Was the building like this when you left?" he searched through his satchel and pulled out a small ration pack. "Snack? I don't really eat solid food anymore. I can make some tea while we rest and you fill me in."

A twinkle glittered in his eyes. "They aren't going to think I'm a god that needs to be sacrificed for a feast, are they?"

Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun

Pyeth closed his eyes, imaging what had once been. The stonework was nothing fancy, a combination of slate and stones fixated by tar. The angular walls had always appeared rough, unsightly. On that, at least his father agreed. And yet, despite that, the storehouse was something of great significance to his younger self.

The life of a fledgling in his tribe was dull, with most days spent weaving baskets, helping transport raw materials between the nests, or occasionally partaking in the Moonsong and rituals performed by Shamans. When his father brought them out here for the first time, to assist on a hunt his younger self, Aashi, and Vedas were hopeful and excited for a bright future.

"No," He said, trying to hide his nostalgia. "It was never the sturdiest thing, but it didn't have to be. Hunters used it to store meat, but I never got that opportunity."

"How could I refuse?" He replied, welcoming the offer. Part of him wondered how Tiland came to be, where this tea obsession began. He knew so little about him, and yet here he was about to profess where his failures began. "And no, at least I don't think so." He chuckled, welcoming the light-hearted comment.

"Oh yes, most definitely. Haven't you heard we regularly raid lowlander territories for sacrifices? Indeed, we are particularly fond of those who can make a good brew." He said, exaggerating a sagely nod. "But in all seriousness, no. I think you will be welcome, at least if you entered alone."

"Putting it plainly, I did not leave my home willingly. The first time I was brought out here by my father, it was to prepare for the Navikah. I suppose your kind would call it a right of passage that signified our entry into adulthood. We were left with plenty of food, equipment and supplies and told to return with food to help the tribe.

It could have been anything from fish to grophet meat. However, my father was the Hunts Chief, and we wanted to impress our peers. So we targetted a pride of Krak'ja that had been causing our people trouble. We spent weeks in the wilderness preparing our trap, observing the Kau'Ui or ways of the patient hunter."

Pyeth paused, watching the first embers beginning to take shape, "We used controlled fire to pen them into poisoned brambles, it wouldn't do much but it would have given us the edge we needed to return victorious. But we Rishi are far from the apex predators, and a Maungur ambushed us. My uh..." He paused again, recalling his Aashi.

Pyeth remembered the fear he felt, not for himself but her and with it came the dreaded question. Knowing what he does now, would he have changed his actions that day? No? Of course not, he loved her, still loved her. He closed his eyes again, wiping away the tears and swallowed burying them again before continuing.

"It attacked Aashi, and I fought to save her. The problem was the Maungur are sacred animals, and slaying one is paramount to striking a stake into the heart of Mother Rishii herself. But we are not violent, and so I was exiled. Whenever I tried to help they turned their back on me..." He felt doubt creeping back into his consciousness. What if all this would be pointless? What if his presence alone was enough to push them away?

Tiland leaned back and listened, handing over the snack to his companion. There was something uneasy in Pyeth's demeanor, like he was uncertain about, but Tiland remained silent and listened. As Pyeth told the story, Tiland nodded at the pauses and made the appropriate sounds of sympathy.

He felt the flashes of emotions as well. Quite natural, in fact, and not something that anyone could really hold against him. Tiland certainly wouldn't. As Pyeth finished, Tiland considered his words carefully sifting through them, and interlacing his fingers.

"I think you found yourself in a situation for which there was no right answer," Tiland said at last, "And you made the best decision that you could in that circumstance." He gave a small shrug. "We can offer what we can and they will make their own choices about whether to accept or not. I'm an exile as well, albeit in an ironic opposite of yours. I was exiled for not killing a sentient being I was sent by my family to kill. Or rather, I fled. Being cut off from home communities can be a painful, painful thing."

Grateful for the food Pyeth began to nibble, focusing on the taste and texture. A welcomed distraction from the realities of his past, that helped him focus on Tiland's words.

It was comforting to hear that Tiland agreed with the choice he made. He took a deep breath allowing himself to listen and absorb the story Tiland had to tell.

Pyeth's plumage clung tightly to his body, and seemed to freeze. They expected him to kill? Taking another sentients life?

He tried to imagine Tiland as a assassin, but he couldn't muster the image. It seemed impossible, and yet he never thought himself a murderer but not so long ago did he consider it. If Tiland hadn't been there it disgusted him to admit it, but he probably would have followed through on the threat.

Reaching out he placed a wing on Tiland's lap, he didn't fully understand the purpose, but he seen lowlanders use it before. Often to show comfort or understanding, "That's horrible. I expect they had good reason, but I think you made the right choice too."

"Your far stronger than I." He said guiltily, "How did you find the strength, to overcome their pressures. It couldn't have been easy." He asked, wondering if he could apply the same lesson to himself.

All the while Pyeth was ignorant of his surroundings, failing to notice the faint presence watching, listening to them from above. A young fledgling of autumn coloured feathers and telescopic eyes. She observed the strangers with great interest, while cuddling a colourful fox-like creature.

Tiland wanted to smile at his companion's attempts at mimicking humanoid body language, but he kept his face neutral. Avian species were not the best at humanoid body language, but he appreciated the intent.

"Their good reason was to fulfill a contract, as my family has done for millennia. They have always been paid killers." Tiland said after a moment, "But thank you, regardless. As for how..."

He considered for a moment, running a hand through his beard. "A Jedi helped me. I accidentally killed someone else, who tried to rob me, and I felt the loss in the Force. He was starving and desperate, much like me. It was after this the Jedi found me and helped me find the strength to flee. Strength is something we can find ourselves, but it is often best found with the aid of others."

Something shifted and he tilted his head for a moment, raising his eyes upwards to speak the hidden eavesdropper. "Is that not right, my curious friend?"

Hearing Tiland's history, he realised how little he knew about his companion. He recalled his encounters with the corporate goons on Talay, a much more playful, easy-going version of himself hardened to the horrors of a Galaxy torn asunder by conflicts. Tiland's upbringing sounded horrible, with his parents' expectation to kill? For what, a piece of paper with someone's name on it. He wanted to ask how that felt, did he regret his actions or was he indifferent?

"That is not a childhood anyone should experience," Pyeth glanced down, trying to work out how to express his gratitude for confiding in him. He then heard Tiland's address looking up to see the uplifted eyebrows suggesting something from above. It made him uncomfortable, and cautiously he turned while concealing one wing under his cloak that reached for the hollow lightsaber hilt.

Perched above them was an unfamiliar Rishii. She was arched over the collapsed roof, curious eyes watching the pair. As Tiland addressed her, the grey plumage relaxed giving Tiland a sceptical look. She didn't seem afraid, rather doubtful as though she knew something Pyeth didn't. There was a lack of trust, like a mother protecting a child from the unknowable dark.

However, Pyeth found her to be rather peculiar dressing in a manner much more symbolic of the spacers than that of a true born Rishi. Even Pyeth had a preference for leathers and animal skins, although Rimward's stance on hunting left him with little choice. His synthetic and woven robes were worn from necessity. Meanwhile, the stranger seemed quite comfortable in her half robes. Ornately decorated too.

Having the time to consider her response, she looked back at Tiland with restraint. "That is an intriguing tale, one I would scarcely believe had I not seen it with my own eyes. However, our teachings do say the hardest road often leads to enlightenment." She said, giving him the benefit of the doubt.

With comfortable ease, she landed in the room to introduce herself. "My name is Nadira of the Banu. I am a Zulirian Swordmistress, but Sunspeaker for the Raffinki first."

"Sunspeaker, from the Banu?" Pyeth immediately asked, caring little for whatever other titles she held. Her affirmative nod only deepened his worries, why would his tribe name an outsider to represent them?

He turned to Tiland to explain, "She is a representative elected by the tribe's elders to negotiate with lowlanders on their behalf. It's an old title from when we were more nocturnal, and we needed someone to keep an eye on things as Lowlanders began making their homes here. That begs the question why were you here, eavesdropping on us?"

"A coincidence, if such a thing exists" She sighed, "I was answering the summons of New Horizon Executives after they apprehended two Rishi for the suspected sabotage of their expansion operations. Machine failure of transports is enough. That's when I noticed this fire and came to investigate and to answer your next question. The ghost plague has left the Raffinki with little choice, all who are qualified for the role are sick or busy caring for them. Currently, Chief Vedas' primary concern is securing medical shipments from Horizon."

Pyeth suffocated on the pangs of guilt her words inspired. He knew himself to be the cause and was afraid to own up to it, fearing it would only compromise his position and make Nadira's job impossible. But all the same, could he let innocents potentially suffer? For his mistake?

Tiland just shrugged, "It is my people's way. We are predators by nature and sentients our prey. They saw nothing more wrong about it than we would see in a Nexu that hunts its prey. It is one of the great challenges of morality, is it not? If a species needs something to survive, is their pursuit of that inherently evil?"

He frowned, looked up into the trees as the other Rishii revealed and identified herself. He waited, listening, before nodding slowly in consideration.

"That is concerning," Tiland agreed with a deep frown. "Especially their retaliatory nature." He interlaced his fingers and rested his chin on his hand. "What sort of medical shipments are they offering?"

While listening to the exchange, Pyeth found a new perch closer to Tiland as he watched Nadira closely. Her words meant very little in the grand scheme of things, he had no idea what a Zulirian Swordmistress was, nor what she was trying to imply when mentioning Tiland's kind. Was she trying to warn him? If so Pyeth couldn't imagine why.

She considers Tiland's question and responds, "Steroids, it's supposed to help with the breathing problems," She said with uncertainty. "I am no doctor, so I cannot speak to their effectiveness in curing-"

"Steroids aren't a cure."
Pyeth sighed, "Might you explain the symptoms. We have had our fair share of experience helping the sick and wounded."

Pyeth stared up at the Sunspeaker, flinching as her doubtful expression wounded him. "I do not doubt your sincerity," She said softly, "only you said so yourself. It will not be a warm welcome," She trailed glancing sideways towards Tiland again. "But our pride shouldn't interfere with those willing to offer aid." She looked at Pyeth worried and was caught off guard when he shot up to address her.

"I know. Oh, spirits do I know. I came fully aware of how they might treat me. How they might ignore me. Attack me, break me. They are still my family, and if I have to kill another Maunger to protect any one of them I would do it again without a second thought." Lowering his beak he collapsed back into his seat murmuring. "So please, help us help them."

"Not much of a Jedi." She exhaled, making Pyeth shrink back in defeat.

Relaxing her posture she began to list the symptoms she had seen, "The first symptoms of ghost plague are usually dizziness, headaches, and difficulty breathing. After a few days, it develops into spasms and coughing blood. Most pass not long after. It strikes at random, with no real connection between patients, a few of my flock suffered from it after spending a few days in the area but they recovered shortly after."

As she began to list them, Pyeth looked up in disbelief and said, "Thank you. Master. The symptoms are familiar to me, a condition my mother suffered from long ago. We never found the cure, but a Jedi helped us. Maybe we can help them, and find the source?"

Nadira bowed her head slightly then leapt into the skies to hover above, "I will catch up with you both once this meeting has concluded, I wish you both luck."

Tiland leaned back slightly where he sat, fingers clasped as he listened to the list of symptoms and the outcomes.

Ghost plague. It was a disease he was unfamiliar with, especially on a world like this that he had never visited before.

"No clear sign..." His voice trailed off slowly, considering. "And steroids can control the symptoms." He tapped his chin as he assessed it all. "This is a deeply concerning disease, then."

As the exchange continued, he glanced back and forth between the other two, assessing and watching.

"We will certainly do what we can to help," Tiland said after a moment. "We can not make any guarantees, I fear, but we will do what we can to find a cure."

New Horizons was concerning as well, but it was less of a concern than the plague. He frowned in thought and glanced up at their new friend's departure.

Pyeth exhaled releasing the tension from his shoulders, for a moment his thoughts returned to the Rishii prisoners she mentioned. Making a mental note not to act so rashly again, certainly not in the village ahead.

He was relieved to hear Tiland's agreement, even if he couldn't promise anything his assistance would be invaluable.

"Thank you Tiland," he bowed his head, "I am eager to get this sorted swiftly, should we make the hike now or rest a little longer?" He asked, not wanting to rush Tiland up towards the mountain. It wouldn't be difficult, he knew old passages that the occasional trader used to deliver goods but it wasn't easy either.

The alternative option was to find the cause, he suspected Horizon to be involved. "Maybe we split up? I can show you the way to the village, and then go in search of the cause from there?"

Part of him liked that idea, he felt that he would only cause Tiland more grief by returning home.

"Let us make the hike," Tiland said, a wry smile twisting his mustache. "I may look old, but I can outlast anybeing a fraction of my age." He packed up the tea set, carefully wrapping them in cloth to cushion them against bumps or damage, before standing and stretching his back.

"Hmm, perhaps not yet," Tiland replied, hefting the staff and leaning on the old wooden staff. "There is much I do not know about your people and your world. I fear I would be... inadequately clear in explaining my purpose were I alone."

A thoughtful tap on the top of the staff as his other hand ran through his beard. "Once we establish ourselves, I think perhaps we may have some more legitimacy in addressing the source? Or would such a thing be incorrect?"

"I was afraid you might say that." Pyeth nervously chuckled, helping Tiland recover the cups and pots before stepping back to stretch his wings. They itched to be used, to feel the tropical Rishii air beneath them but in the all-time, he knew Jedi none had the power of flight. Did such a power exist, or was one nature paramount to their abilities in the Force?

He looked now towards the mountain peak raising his wing to touch its tip, "Cauburn. It's the highest peak in the valley, shouldn't surprise you that we built our home in its shadow. The Shamans made it home to our patron spirits, but I always remembered it as the place we learned to spread our wings." Pyeth chirped, taking lead once more in their ascent.

The journey would take them a couple of hours, with several stops along the way as Pyeth took time to explain things. Most of it folklore and superstitions he shared with merchants and traders he used to help guide towards the village. On a good day, they would give him enough food to last a couple of days, but most of the time they simply gave thanks and went on their way.

Soon the burden of uncertainty was beginning to weigh down on him, recalling the last time he came here seeking absolution. He swallowed hard before taking the final few steps over the crest of a hill. Much had changed.

Below is a small village consisting of thatch-roof huts centred around a small totem that guarded the mouth of a cave, carved sometime after he left to allow grounded into the upper levels. The vast majority of the village was above ground, with open-air pavilions containing large nests overlooking the valley below. A couple of large birds, likely Rishii could be seen flying between them. Closer to a town than the village he remembered.

Pyeth slumped against a nearby rock, scanning the village while he awaited the inevitable, "Most nests lie empty, probably taken to the healers."

It came sooner than he expected and not in the way he imagined. "Hi! Who are you?"

His head rolled back to look up at the young Rishii standing atop the rock, her large amber eyes staring down at him. She caught him off guard, distracting him from his circumstance. "I am Pyeth." He took a step back turning his body to face her. the girl now turns to Tiland. "And this is Tiland, my master."

"He's a very strange looking master." She chirped, waving at Tiland. Fearing his companion might take offence he flinched and looked up at Tiland.

Tiland nodded and followed behind Pyeth, pausing to listen as Pyeth explained the different aspects of the local culture and traditions. It was fascinating, but he was sensing a growing unease with his companion. The story he had been told was understandable. Exile was never easy. He knew that too, had learned it the hard way. And he knew his uncle would kill him if he got the chance. There would be no other alternative for Azar. It was tragic, really.

His uncle, his cousins, and his family, were locked into old ways of thinking and scared to break out. Honor was an illusion, just as much as wealth or power. But it held his family prisoner tighter than any bond. He hoped that the Rishii would not be nearly as rigid in their belief.

"Healers seem like a reasonable assumption," he agreed, but paused for a moment, as another voice broke in. He looked up, a smile grinned at the younger being. He bowed. "Why thank you. I am indeed quite strange looking, aren't I? I suppose it comes with age. What is your name?"

"Ani... Anisael, that is my name." She announced cheerfully, staring at Tiland with keen interest. "My name means fire! What about yours?" She added, leaping to another boulder.

Meanwhile, Pyeth glanced around as she spoke, searching for any sign of her parents. The alcoves and cliffs lay silent, with only the sound of a scurrying rodent searching for berries nearby. "That village over there, that is home to the Raffinki?" He asked, playing dumb for the moment.

"It is," the youth confirmed, eyeing him with curiosity. "And I should know, for my father's home is there, where my mother lives. Where I live also."

"Incidentally, I could have said the same thing," Pyeth said impishly. Anisael looked confused, perhaps not understanding his words. Maybe, that was for the better. "But enough about us; what are you doing out here alone?"

Anisael hesitated, perhaps now realising she was speaking to strangers. She looked again between the pair of them and replied, "I am trying to help Fang, he won't come out. I think he is scared."

"Fang?" Pyeth asked quizzically

"He is my friend." She looked sheepishly behind her, prompting Pyeth to walk behind the outcrop to see a small hole. "Down there?" He asked, getting an affirmative nod from Anisael. He kneeled to peer into the shadows. It was a shallow hole probably giving way during a downpour or the result of a landslide. Such things weren't uncommon in this sort of terrain, it wasn't uncommon for the earth to give in revealing new caverns and abandoned mineshafts.

After taking a moment to adjust to the darkness, he could make out the shapes of jagged rocks and rubble at the bottom of a steep 20ft drop beneath which a small animal seemed trapped. "I see an animal."

"Fang! Can you help?" Anisael shouted excitedly.

Pyeth did not trouble himself with a reply - crawling closer until he could push a wing into the opening, careful not to cut himself on jagged rocks. He closed his eyes, and relaxed trying to concentrate until he felt the bristling fur of the creature and the sediment that trapped it. Pyeth felt the creature flinch as if aware of his presence in the Force, momentarily catching him off guard. Focus.

He lifted the boulder just enough to let the creature escape, but not risk any further collapse. Immediately sensing freedom it darted to escape, fearing it might bite him or run into his chest. Pyeth pulled away, hissing in pain as his wing was sliced by the sediment. A fox-like creature dashed past him, clambering the rocks to reach Anisael who welcomed it warmly.

"Fang!" She chirped, hugging the fox while it licked her beak. Pyeth stood up, slowly beginning to wrap his robe around the injury.

"Menti sintus," Anisael said gratefully.

The phrase catching Pyeth off guard made him freeze in place, as he stared into the void. It took him a few moments to silently return to his place at Tiland's side. "She uh..." He said, trying to get the words out. "She said thank you." It felt nice to hear that phrase, in his language again. "Maybe there is still hope for me yet. We... should meet with the Chieftain."

"Chieftain? You want to meet Chieftain. I introduce you!" Anisael offered, followed by a yip from the fox creature.

a375a067671eb55884295719c4220e9c.png

"Fire is an excellent meaning for a name," Tiland replied, leaning on his staff, looking up with a hint of amusement on his face. "Although I must admit that I do not know what my name means. It was a long time ago and I was never good with my people's historic language."

He crouched down as Pyeth started looking for the small pet. Tiland could just sense a slight feeling of distress and fear. He was ready to help if necessary, but Pyeth seemed to have it well in hand. There was a flash of pain for a moment. He didn't know enough about the species here to know if it could be poisonous or not.

As the young one spoke, Tiland rose and bowed. "We are very glad to help. And would be delighted to meet Chieftain."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom