Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Force Unleashed: Not a Fan

Adi-Viole-Cloud

The Cerean Bounty Hunter
The Force Unleashed can be a fun game to play sure, but the way the storyline fits in with the overall SW trilogy bugs the S*** out of me. I do not want an apprentice to Vader who goes rouge for some blonde and is then cloned! Why couldnt we just stick to Vader going on a killing spree of Jedi during the great Jedi Purge? There is no reason for him to send someone else to do it for him, Vader is among the 4 strongest living beings in the galaxy at that time, he is capable of taking out the jedi himself which Palpatine would probably send him to do anyways. Another thing is, despite the Force Unleashed being a high end video game, it doesnt please my creativity: If we're making a star wars game we need to make the character customizable while still maintaining a back story much like Kotor 1 and 2 did. Meetra Surik and Revan were the characters, but we got to customize them and that was a major part of what made the game worth it. Think about it.

Reyven Samoth

Grand Lord of the Tribe
Starkiller wasn't intended to do Vader's work for him. Starkiller was Vader's attempt to make a tool to kill Palpy. KotOR and TFU are two entirely different style of game, so it's not fair to compare the two on mechanics. The big problem with TFU was the fact that evidently the Rebellion would never have existed if not for this one guy.

Flint Pherson

F
"Hold on guys, Imma gonna stop this Star Destoryer with my mind and crush Tie Fighters with my bare hands." -- Starkiller

"Damn skippy. You one bad mutha trucker. I'm glad I'm dead." -- Mace Windu

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
I didn't mind the plotline quite so much as I minded the plotline of the travesty that was FU 2.

Also, controls drove me nuts on both Wii and 360.

I tend to view TFU in more of a favorable light just for the fact it allows me to hack a ton of people up with a lightsaber and spam Force lightning, which I haven't been able to do in a game since Jedi Outcast/Academy. The plot itself is just ridiculous and I ignore it for the most part.

I loved the first one, beat it the day it came out. It made since to me; have a "Secret" apprentice find all non-conforming members of the Empire who are likely to revolt, gather them together, then slaughter them as an example to anyone else who tried to follow them. And then it didn't work because they didn't bring their Apprentice into the plan, and thus started the Rebellion against the Empire.
The second one was never made, in my opinion. Ruined everything.
Some of the gameplay was weird, though. "Oh, I can crush a Star Destroyer, but can't lift a Purge Trooper. Derp."

To me, the Force Unleashed had properties and potential that was wasted on the wrong character in the wrong era. I was led to believe the period leading up to the Rebellion against the Empire was supposed to be taut with political intrigue. The idea that the Rebellion was a self-inflicted wound seems insulting to the original notion that it was a movement by the people, for the people.

...And it is beyond me how TFU2 was ever produced or released. I mean, I sat down and watched a playthrough and it was terrible! The dialogue, the story, if anything it should have been just a DLC add-on. If even that!

Seroth Ur-Rahn said:
To me, the Force Unleashed had properties and potential that was wasted on the wrong character in the wrong era. I was led to believe the period leading up to the Rebellion against the Empire was supposed to be taut with political intrigue. The idea that the Rebellion was a self-inflicted wound seems insulting to the original notion that it was a movement by the people, for the people.

...And it is beyond me how TFU2 was ever produced or released. I mean, I sat down and watched a playthrough and it was terrible! The dialogue, the story, if anything it should have been just a DLC add-on. If even that!
Aye, not even the gameplay could save the travesty that was TFU2. I think I played it until the last level and just quit out of sheer boredom. I don't even remember much about the game itself.

Reyven Samoth

Grand Lord of the Tribe
Personally I don't see the powers being 'too much', even given the ability to move a Star Destroyer. As Vader said, even the Death Star was nothing compared to the Force. The only reason you don't see anything fantastical in the movies like that is because of limitations in special effects in the OT and... well no good came of the NT so... yeah.

But EU is ripe with examples of 'true' masters of the Force doing mind-boggling things. In fact, they say that people like Revan weren't anything compared to the 'ancient' masters. And Nihilus killed an entire planet on his own.

I'm quite fine with the Force powers being taken to ssilly proportions in the name of fun in a game. But TFU's biggest offense to me is it's influence on the lore. That Palpatine and Vader were both defeated by some whiney teenager with daddy issues, and the Rebellion was a distraction in one of the stupidest idea's of Vader/Palpatines careers, and that the Rebellion was galvanised by some punk and his family emblem...and thinking about it almost gives me an apeture in the cranial cavity.

Shi'Do Mont

Confused Padawan
TFU's plotline wasn't TOO terrible for me. Yea the whole rebellion thing kinda pissed me off, but it was mediocre. I would have loved for it to have ended with his death though. TFU2 was BS with it's clones. How's a clone gonna retain memory like that? And if Palpy figured it out the first time, why the hell would he not see it THIS time?
Smeariously.

Adi-Viole-Cloud

The Cerean Bounty Hunter
Seroth Ur-Rahn said:

You are wise my friend. Respect.

The Force Unleashed is such a weird game to me. I mean, the Force gameplay is great fun. That's the idea behind it. The whole point of it was to take the Force up a notch and let you have a riot with it. So why then work so hard to tie it in to canon when the entire point of it was to do something canon didn't do? It baffles me.

And I loathe the story. I've always hated the 'Vader always wanted to kill Palpatine' thing the prequels introduced, I mean, if that's true, then his sacrifice at the end of RotJ means nothing, but I loathe even more the fact that both the Emperor and Palpatine were defeated in combat by some nobody years before Luke was on the scene. Why wait for the son of the Chosen One if some random guy can do all that?

Hate hate hate the story, and ironically I'd of really liked the game if it had just been a silly fun game without too much emphasis on fitting in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom