Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question Force Dead?

My character was the subject of Sith experimentation for a while as a young child. The result was that she developed the power of Cryokinesis. Other than that she has no extra connection with the Force. Instead of being a "normal" person in that regard however I am flirting with her being Force Dead. Would this be possible? To have a Force ability, but be Force Dead?

It's your roleplay so I'm sure there could be a plausible explanation. Maybe Sasi Wynter Sasi Wynter 's use of Cryokinesis has more to do with genetic manipulation and the aforementioned Sith Experimentation rather than actual 'Force Use'. That said in my experience when someone is 'Force Dead' they generally cannot use anything associated with the force nor can anything force related affect them.

Force Dead is kind of a weird thing.

The actual terminology refers to the Jedi's inability to sense the Yuuzhan Vong through the Force, and the Yuuzhan Vong themselves aren't actually immune to the Force but its effects are dampened on them; such as a powerful Force Push only causing them to stumble when it would send other beings flying. There are some exceptions to this, Force Lightning is actually exempt from this limitation, as is Dark Net, Dark Transfer, and Shatterpoint to an extent.

Anyways, in the Star Wars universe, everything is connected through the Force so it's impossible to be truly void of the Force or Midichlorians.

I'd say you could probably spin cyrokinesis being something that's unaffected by your character's Force Deadness.

Sasi Wynter Sasi Wynter

I would think some non Force sensitives might not be strong enough to be Jedi but may have some latent abilities. For example maybe Han was so good as a pilot because he had a “knack” for sensing what to do. Or he was “lucky.” That might be how non sensitive rationalized the small abilities in the Force.

Just my two cents.

Thanks. Looks like I wasn’t really thinking Force Dead after all. Maybe Force deficient? Do “non-sensitive” beings have a scale of Forceness? Or are they all lumped in the same?

There's no "official" ranking we adhere to if that's what you're looking for, but, if you look at the "Force Sensitives" pages on the Wookie there are a variety of avenues that you can take to mold your character in a way that might make sense. A "midi-chlorian" count could be used to determine how "strong" one might be in the Force, which, you could argue that a "lower number of midi-chlorians" might result in less powerful force-sensitive. So, perhaps that could be the reason for a specific ability remaining while others seem beyond their reach?

The degree to which someone can "harness the force" usually determines what they can do. What you're talking about reminds me of The Archivist who was a Force-Sensitive but they weren't really strong enough to use it. They could sense it, though. So in essence limited to one ability.

Strength in the Force usually (of course, there exceptions) doesn't just manifest out of thin air. A person could be force-sensitive but without training, faith, knowledge, etc their connection to the Force could remain limited or dormant. That could be a pretty easy reason to...Lack of training.

I don't like to get into midi-chlorian "numbers" too much because min-maxing that often seems to limit stories when we're a wide-open sandbox. I don't think Force Dead is really the correct term, but, you can certainly make an argument for it given the vague description and lack of information on the Wookie. The best information and examples we have on it from Canon are definitely found in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

A personal example would be this character, Srina Talon. When she first came to Chaos she was limited to very few aspects of the Force. One of them was "Cryokinesis" which was learned via knowledge passed down through her family line. The Force itself isn't usually that specific. It was simply because that was all her family knew how to teach. The sensitivity was there but a lack of training, etc, led her to a very narrow specialization for a very long time. She eventually expanded her horizons but it was gradual.

Characters can have all the potential in the world, but, it's up to the writer to determine how they use (or don't use) it.

Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom