Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forbidden Knowledge [Seo Linn]

Jor Kvall

Ain't found a way to kill me yet
[member="Seo Linn"]

The query space in the library's computer blinked repeatedly, tauntingly, at Jor Kvall. He had run out of ideas for new search terms, and had run out of patience, what precious little of it he had.

It had been a mistake to come here, Jor thought. The library at the Lorrd University had been impressive enough, its high-arched windows and domed ceilings presiding nobly over wall upon wall, shelf upon shelf of holorecordings and tomes, even a few real books made of paper and binding. In fact, Jor had never seen anything like it in his life. There certainly did not exist anything like it in Mandalorian space, especially not upon the wastelands where he spent the beginning of his life. Even the architecture here was, admittedly, breathtaking. The library was dotted with marble pillars that looked as though they could have been fashioned from the hands of a god, such was their smoothness and precision. There were more books here than Jor had ever seen in his life; more knowledge than he knew what to do with, and yet none of it could help his quest for answers in the slightest.

It made the wild spirit rise up in the pit of Jor's stomach. It almost made him want to burn the entire place to the ground until it was nothing but a pile of ash.

It had been easy enough to get here, being in Sith space, and as such Mandalorians like himself were not uncommon as allies to the Sith Empire. Even the weather here was agreeable; the outside windows painted a bleak picture of a white, snowy horizon, much like his home on Krownest. But this was not his home, and no one here was his friend. His people's ostensible friendship with the Sith was what got him admitted to this planet without question, but it was the search for the more sinister and reclusive spells of the Sith that kept him in this expansive library. He had searched every database for possible information in the Dark Lord of the Sith's role in resurrecting Ra Vizsla, the former Mand'alor, but no information of the event appeared to exist on record. There was no record of what spells were used, and how, and moreover, to what purpose. This made Jor only search with more determination. Information that is concealed is always the most valuable - and often the most damning.

Jor Kvall was probably a peculiar sight in the library at this moment; wearing Mandalorian armor, as his people's culture dictated, while hunched over a library console. It was not a common sight to see a Mandalorian so interested in such rigorous academic pursuits.

Two things brought Seo to Lorrd. This was her home and she wanted to visit her family. Knowing it was in the heart of Sith territory made things tricky to there though. Luckily she still had some contacts within the people of her home and clearance was granted for her small ship.

Before she went to her home though, she wanted to visit her former coworkers and find out how much recovery had been done since the Shrouded Republic had ransacked the library. In the heart of the university, she wandered around freely. She might be a Jedi, but in Sith territory a person walking about wearing a lightsaber would probably be thought to be a Sith.

The woman walked confidently, silently and stoically. Her people were not the kind to openly show much emotion at least in public. At home, things were different and Seo was looking forward to returning there for a time. First though, the library.

Having worked here before, she walked in through the doors and started chatting curtly with the first worker she saw. Asking about the various people she had known several years ago, she learned only one still remained. The others had moved on out of university life and onto other things. Asking for the location of that one person, she was pointed in the direction of the computer and information room.

She gave the woman a nod of thanks and walked further in. Seo knew the layout of the library quite well and was in the room on short order.

It was a quiet day here and in a way that was a good thing for the woman. Less people might see and identify her as a Jedi and no Sith would come hunting her down. Inside the room, the friend she was looking for wasn't there. Letting out a sigh, by normal standards it was almost silent, but in the quiet room, it could be heard clearly.

Deciding to wait for her friend, she walked over to one of the consoles or she would have if she didn't notice a Mandalorian hunched over one of them. Now the sight of one wasn't uncommon, but in a place like this it was a surprise. Not wanting to potentially disturb him, she decided to just take a seat at the table nearby and wait for her friend.

[member="Jor Kvall"]

Jor Kvall

After another few hapless moments at the console, it soon became painfully apparent that Jor was alone in the stacks of holobooks. His solitude was apparent as he glanced from shoulder to shoulder, seeing nothing but the walls of books, alive with their neon blue glow, flanking the narrow hallway on both sides. Having had enough of searching by himself and getting nowhere, Jor moved to exit the stacks. Seeing no one, he wondered how much time had passed since he had come here and dove into the archives.

Then he saw [member="Seo Linn"], sitting by herself at a table, with no other presence readily apparent. Perhaps this woman was a library employee. She seemed placid enough, not much like a Sith, if that is indeed what she was. Her blonde hair and light eyes would fit in well with his own Clan, Jor thought to himself.

The armor-clad Mandalorian moved up to her as though she was little more than an archivist. "Excuse me," He began, "I need help locating a particular book on Sith sorcery."

Her friend never did come back before the Mandalorian decided to approach her. She was looking at the holonews and looked up before he spoke. When he did, it was clear he assumed she worked here. Having once done that and because there wasn't anybody else around to ask, Seo decided to ahead and help him.

Setting the pad down, she listened to his question passively. Giving him no outward sign of surprise, she was quite curious as to what he was really after. He had modulated his voice and sounded a bit lost. Like he felt as if he really didn't belong here himself. It wasn't unknown for Mandalorians to have the ability to use the Force, but she didn't think he was one of them What then did he want with a book about sorcery?

"You certainly came to the right place. What is the name of the book?"

She stood up from her seat, noticing he was several inches taller than she was. Ready to lend a hand in helping him find what he was looking for.​

[member="Jor Kvall"]

Jor Kvall

If he had come to the right place, Jor certainly didn't feel like it - not after hours of searching to no avail. What was worse, the Mandalorian didn't even know what precisely he was searching for, or at least how to articulate it.

"The name of the book is Commentaries on The Necromancies of the Old Era", Jor answered her, still masking his face behind his helmet. He wore his armor so often, especially when around strangers, that the young warrior didn't even make a conscious note of it. "By Lord Ihsahn," He added.

Jor wasn't even certain if the book in question would have the answers he was looking for, but it was the most relevant book he had found to the subject that interested him. The Force was a pathway to many abilities that he would never understand, and the black dimensions of the Dark Side were capable of a great many unnatural feats. Perhaps even as unnatural as raising a centuries-old spirit from the dead.

When [member="Seo Linn"] stood up, he noted the tattoo that was visible on her arm; unceremonious numbers and symbols, as befitting a slave. Had this Sith, if she was one, left behind a much humbler station in life?

At once Seo understood why he was unable to find the tome he desired. He was in the wrong section of the library. One would think you could find that information here, but that wasn't entirely the case.

"You're looking in the wrong place. The information here is of a far more modern nature. What you're looking for would be more likely found in the archives, history or where the other commentaries are."

Making a small motion with one of her hands to indicate he should follow her, she decided to check in the least likely place first. That was the commentary area. Most of the items there ​were about happenings, people and places that were more modern. Though to some one hundred years was a long time. In the case of this university, it was barely a mark in time.

She quickly lead them to the section. Without looking it up herself, she pointed to two other shelves it might be located on.

"I'll look on this one if you want to take one of the others. Two sets of eyes looking will get the job done quicker."

A regular employee would not have asked such a thing, but since she was helping out of good nature, she figured it was fine.

[member="Jor Kvall"]

Jor Kvall

The wrong place? Jor felt equal amounts of hope and frustration at the words of [member="Seo Linn"]. He was truly a fish out of water in this extensive foreign library, fumbling through tomes haphazardly and getting nowhere in the process without outside help. The absence of self-sufficiency made him want to thrust his fist through the bookshelf, though he did not show it. At least, however, Seo indicated that there might be some hope in finding the old book after all.

"Right," He agreed with her after she had found the appropriate section, and began looking on the shelf adjacent to her.

Most of the book labels were in basic, but as the minutes began to tick by and Jor's gauntlet-clad finger scanned higher on the shelf, the binding of an old book caught his eye due to its obscure lettering - definitely not aurebesh. In fact, the symbols bore more of a resemblance to the jagged faces of Mandalorian text, although it was clearly a language foreign to Jor.

"Could this be it?" He called to Seo. "It seems to be in a language I can't read. Perhaps the ancient Sith tongue."

In the amount of time it had taken Jor to find the book he asked about, Seo had gone through about the same number of titles. None matched what he was looking for and she turned when he pointed out the tome in question. Moving over to him, she took it off the shelf to look at.

"It is Sith, but I can only read about one third of it. Not fluently sadly."

Taking it to one of the nearby tables, she opened the cover and started to look at the lettering and words. With a nod, she closed it up and handed it back to him after she pointed at some of the words on the title page.

"Luckily this is just the book you are looking for though. This word here is- Commentaries. That one is- Necromancies. Lastly the name, Lord Ihsahn."

Not that it was a huge deal, but they had never exchanged names.

[member="Jor Kvall"]

Jor Kvall

A strange sense of accomplishment washed over Jor Kvall as he stood holding the book in his hand, its dark binding frayed and dust-caked by the passage of time. To hold an actual book was something few would ever do, especially among his kin. Jor was surprised to find the exhilaration of completing his search similar to the satisfaction he received when he had killed his first man. In a way, killing a man was easier. It was much less time-consuming, to be sure.

Jor sat opposite the presumed archivist on the table, and placed the book back in the center. It would be right to thank her for her efforts.

"Thank you for your assistance," Jor said, and then finally removed his helmet to allow her a sight of his humanity. A youthful but bearded face was revealed with tight, concentrated eyes, and jagged blonde hair spilled out of his helmet as he removed it. "I'm Jor Kvall of the Mandalorian Empire."

It did seem rather peculiar that this archivist, and presumably Sith, did not understand the ancient tongue of her ancestors. [member="Seo Linn"] had been particularly helpful, and she was his best chance at translating the book and understanding its secrets, but only insofar as her ability to decipher it.

"I mean no disrespect, but is it normal for Sith to not be fluent in their ancient language?" He inquired.

More normal than a Mandalorian in a library, perhaps.

Even though he wore his armor, Seo could tell from how he moved, he seemed relieved at finding what he was searching for. What a Mandalorian wanted with such knowledge was beyond her, but none of her business really. The library was open to everybody and the knowledge within free to be used.

Nodding when he said thank you and watched as he took his helmet off, she saw he was about her age. He wasn't the first Mandalorian she had come across, but it seemed they didn't all look the same. Much like her in a way, she did not much look like the people of Lorrd, but this was her home. Giving his name, she felt listened on as he spoke about her being sith and not being able to read the language. A common mistake many people made and one she would attempt to clear up for him.

"Seo Linn, Jedi Knight actually, but I grew up here and worked in this library for a time when I was younger."

On the chance Jor was more allied with the Sith than the Jedi, she hand her hand ready to draw her saber if he moved to attack her. If there was no such move of hostility though she would continue in speaking.

"There is a difference actually between the followers of the Sith Code and the Sith. In ancient times, the Sith were a race and this is their language. Over the years the followers of the Sith Code actually adopted using it. Now knowing what you know about me, I think it might be a little more clear as to why I am not so fluent in that language. I learned what I did when I worked here and when the Dominion ruled the planet. You see they wanted the Sith and Jedi to work together peacefully. History...well indicates that isn't possible and eventually the sith that now rule here helped destroy that government. Thanks to them though, I do know some."

A brief lesson, but hopefully it helped him understand a little better the difference between the two.

[member="Jor Kvall"]

Jor Kvall

"Jedi?" Jor reeled at the revelation. "You have a lot of guts coming here."

Jor had major suspicions about the Sith at the moment, but at least he could be considered a loose ally of the Sith Empire on the surface. How could a Jedi find themselves this deep in Sith space? The Kvall had hated Jedi for millenia before Jor was even born, and that hatred was still alive in him. [member="Seo Linn"] must have seen it, judging by the way her hand fell to her lightsaber hilt, an action which did not go unnoticed by Jor. Under normal circumstances, Jor would consider any Jedi his immediate enemy.

But these were not normal circumstances. These were strange times indeed, that saw a Jedi and a Mandalorian find each other in Sith space, and yet the pressure for immediate violence did not override. Seo apparently had an interesting history that rode the line between Sith and Jedi, but Jor was more interested in her potential ability to help him in a way that no Sith could.

"I'll be honest with you, Jedi," Jor sighed, keeping his voice quiet and leaning forward. "I've never liked your kind. I probably never will. But circumstances have led me here, and I fear I cannot trust any Sith in helping me with what I want to discover. I just need to know one thing before I tell you what it is."

Jor leaned closer and placed his helmet on the table between them.

"If I keep your secret, can you keep mine?"

Glancing around the archive area they sat in, she looked back at Jor before speaking.

"This is my home. I'm from here. If a native can't fit, then something is very wrong."

By the time Seo finished, the corner of her lips turned up slightly. It was totally true what she said and in the past the people Lorrd were used as spies and assassins. A people that were able to blend into anywhere. Imitators able to pretend they are a native of wherever they lived. Luckily those days were mostly in the past, but that history helped make her people what they are.

What he did say interested her. He may not like what she was, but he couldn't trust or depend on the Sith to keep his secret. When he said he had a secret, she looked at him curiously with a tilt of her head. However his question did make a point. She was a Jedi in the middle of Sith territory.

"Yes."

Barely a second passed between him asking and her answering. It took only that long for her to give voice, the decision had been made already.

[member="Jor Kvall"]

Jor Kvall

Lorrd may have been the place [member="Seo Linn"] called home, but that didn't change the fact that the Sith Empire were the ones who really controlled it - and they would be none too pleased to see one of her kind making a return pilgrimage. As much as Jor loathed Jedi, there were more pressing matters at hand, and he knew he would need to put his hatred behind him for now. The fact that this woman also had a secret to keep made him trust her with his own. It was a strange time to be alive; a time where Mandalorian and Jedi would potentially be united against a common enemy.

"I have suspicions about the Sith Emperor, our so-called ally," Jor explained. "Ever since Ra Vizsla came to power, rumors began to circulate. They didn't call him Mandalore the Undying for no reason. Some say the Sith Emperor himself resurrected him from manda. Perhaps for his own nefarious purposes."

Jor broke eye contact with Seo and glanced forlornly towards his helmet on the table, his eyes wincing in an apparent pain.

"I fought for Vizsla. I spilled blood for him without question. Well, now Vizsla is gone. And we were never told what truly happened."

She listened to what Jor said and slowly nodded before speaking. When he said the word ally, she winced slightly. Maybe had a similar look that he carried when he looked to his helmet.

"If he is so undying...how is it he dead?"

Spoken only loud enough for him to hear, it was meant to be genuine question. No hint of malice or sarcasm involved.

"Necromany then is most likely how it happened. Only way I know of to bring a dead being back to life."

Keeping everything on a professional level, Seo would relax enough to remove her hand from her lightsaber hilt, set it lightly on the table next to his arm and looked him in the eyes.

"No matter how it happened, I am sorry for your loss."

[member="Jor Kvall"]

Jor Kvall

"Mandalore the Undying, so-named because his life managed to span several centuries," Jor answered her in the same serious tone in which the question was asked. "Or he was resurrected by the Sith Emperor, if the rumors are true."

Jor shrugged at the mention of necromancy; it was what he had begun to assume as well. The only thing he lacked was direct evidence. His eyes returned to [member="Seo Linn"].

"I am bereft of nothing," He replied, his face shedding forlorn sorrow and turning stoic and resolute as his own light eyes remained locked on hers. Their appearance was oddly similar in many ways. "If Ra Vizsla was truly reanimated by Darth Carnifex, then he was assuredly his puppet. The Sith Emperor does not do favors without strings attached."

Jor motioned to the endleess stacks of holobooks and tomes around them, keeping his voice low.

"Even with Vizsla gone, my people remain shackled to the Sith Empire. That's why I've come here. If the Sith intended to use us as their pawns before, surely nothing has changed. The Mandalorian people need to know the truth. All I need is the evidence. I figured I'd start here, by researching Sith spells."

Her interactions with the Mandalorians in the past had lead her to know a little of Ra Vizla.

"Was he not Gurlanin? They are a very long lived race."

That didn't mean they couldn't be killed, but if allowed to live a natural course in life. Then again he had been Mandalorian and their lives were certainly far from natural. She did not make a comment​ on her personal observation and kept it to herself.

He reaction to the small showing of sympathy was a bit of surprise. Having just previously stated he had fought and bled for Ra Vizla, Seo had assumed he felt his loss. Obviously she as mistaken. As he continued on, she nodded in a form of understanding.

"What do you want to accomplish by revealing the theory you have? To show the Mandalorians while under the then Mandalore were pawns of the Sith? That does not mean that is still the case does it?"

So far they had remained in solitude, but it was getting near to closing time and the employees were announcing this to the patrons still present.

"Would you care to join me for dinner? We can continue our conversation."

Not intended as a flirt, she hoped he would accept her offer.

[member="Jor Kvall"]

Jor Kvall

"Gurlanin he was, but his foreign blood did not save him from death once," Jor replied. "Ra was killed on Castameer, and then the Gods returned him to life from manda'yaim. Or so we were told."

Resurrected by profane Sith magic seemed much more believable, now that Jor said it back to himself. But let it never be said that Mandalorians were not spiritual or superstitious in their own right; myths of divine power could go a long way with their kind. Especially those of House Kvall, who thought of their own Alors as possessing divine favor. Her next question was harder to answer. Jor remained pensive for a moment.

Supposing he did find all the evidence he was looking for, what did he want to accomplish? What could he accomplish?

"I don't know," He finally said. "But perhaps in the right hands, this information could show my people that our allies are false. As I said, the Sith Emperor did not reanimate Ra out of the kindness of his heart. If he tried to manipulate us once, he will again. And if true, our current Mand'alor is playing along perfectly."

Jor sighed again. The tumultuous state of his people seemed beyond his scope, and he was powerless to affect it. Then, [member="Seo Linn"] offered to have dinner with him. Where Jor came from, such an offer was usually a romantic gesture. But this one was a Jedi... had she already forgotten what he said he thinks of her kind?

A Jedi she may be, but right now, Seo Linn was his only hope in finding answers.

"Very well then," Jor replied after a moment. "I'll bring the book. Perhaps you can show me the delicacies of your planet."

It was preferable to being in this library, most definitely.

He confirmed for her that Ra Vizla was a Gurlanin. Then he said he been brought back to life by his gods. This almost brought a reaction from her, but it wasn't one of derision or anything negative. More surprise than anything else, but Seo kept it to herself. With all the various peoples in the Galaxy following different codes, ideals and beliefs, she was not going to say anything about his.

At least he answered her honestly about what he hoped to accomplish.

"But who are the right hands?"

​Jor would know the answer to this far better than she would, but by asking the question, it might force him to think of an answer. Instead of the vague idea he had currently. It could provide him a far clearer goal to go for.

She had not forgotten his feelings on Jedi, however, she offered anyway. The library would be closing and as he stated, she was currently the best hope he had to accomplish his goal. Nodding when he said yes, she stood up and turned to head to the door. His comment on the delicacies got her considering just where she would take him.

"I have the perfect place for that."

[member="Jor Kvall"]

Jor Kvall

Jor shrugged at her question.

"I don't know," He finally answered after a pregnant pause. "Perhaps I can simply show it to our people, and they can be the judge."

Jor had already told [member="Seo Linn"] more of his private thoughts than anyone else. She already knew almost as much as his Councillors on this issue. Fate and circumstance had yoked them together, but perhaps this Jedi could be a useful ally - that is, if she could be trusted.

Now, to the matter of dinner. The day's nonsense in the library had whetted Jor's appetite, and he could scarcely wait to leave this place.

"Excellent. Lead the way then," He said, standing up, and would follow behind Seo as she left the library. Taking in her blonde hair and features from behind, Jor thought to himself again how she resembled one of his kind. It was too bad she wasn't.

Apparently her question caused him some though, but yet he didn't provide a solid answer. Instead he only said he could show it to his people. Only he didn't say that exactly. He said specifically, 'our people'. That in turn gave her something to think about. Not able to keep the question from being asked, Seo looked back at him as they walked out of the library.

"What do you mean by adate? Our people?"

Lorrd being her home, she knew the people here and would lead him to her favorite restaurant in Lorrd City. In reality it was just a few blocks from the library and would take only about five minutes to walk there.

Jor may have difficulty trusting her, but she trusted him. He knew she was a Jedi on a sith world. If he wanted to, all he had to do was catch the attention of the authorities here and she would be done for. A life worse than the slavery that had been her childhood.

[member="Jor Kvall"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom