Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private First Steps

99d6206d4fcb59344266f74367114985.jpg

Coruscant. The center of an incalculable galaxy, or so Novalie had been told as a little girl. This was the first time she had ever stepped foot on the ecumenopolis. The first time she had ever stepped foot on any planet other than her homeworld. Every inch of the Jewel of the Core Worlds hummed with life, from the air taxis racing overhead conveying passengers from one side of town to another in a matter of minutes to the monitors that hung from skyscrapers and played one advertisement after another, reminding the Keshiri just how little of the galaxy she had experienced in her short sixteen years of life, isolated on Kesh.

Novalie could have wandered its durasteel streets for hours, taking in all of the sights, sounds, and smells unique to the ecumenopolis if she hadn't been expected elsewhere. She wasn't sure how the Jedi felt about tardiness, but if they were anything like her father, she didn't want to be late. Instead of following the promising smell of smoked meat that wafted from a passing food truck outside the space port, the Keshiri boarded a public train powered via repulsorlift. Several cars back from the cockpit, she stood shoulder to shoulder with the rush hour crowd, each as impatient to get home as the next, and it didn't matter who they had to push and shove to get there.

The public transport deposited her in the Senate District, and she walked the last few remaining blocks until she reached the Jedi Temple. There she wavered, rocking back and forth on her feet in the colossal shadow of a structure that looked every bit as much of a fortress as it did a temple. Briefly, irrationally, the teenager considered going back to the space port and boarding the first public transport off the planet, but the voice of reason—most likely her mother's—persisted. And then what? Wander the galaxy aimlessly? Go back home?

Taking a deep breath, Novalie put one foot in front of the other and took her first step up the flight of stairs. Her first step toward becoming a Jedi.

MOSHED-2022-8-22-21-2-43.jpg

Coruscant, Jedi Temple
Tags: Valery Noble Valery Noble , Novalie Krii Novalie Krii

shield_core_divider.png

They would be welcoming a new padawan into the temple today. That always filled Jasper with a great deal of excitement, the prospect of training a fresh face and guiding them through their development. Of course, there was some level of concern in it all as well. With the upcoming Mandalorian Wars, there would always be the concern of needing to prepare them for a turbulent era.

But they would do the best that they could. He turned to Valery, giving a grin to his mentor.

"I figure they'll be along soon enough," Jasper noted. "It's... odd to think about. I never really had a moment like this myself. I was with the order ever since I was a boy."

It was certainly a bizarre thought.

Coruscant Temple
div-orange.png
Outfit: Factory Link | Wedding Ring
Appearance: Link
Weapons:
Lightsaber
Tag: Novalie Krii Novalie Krii Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el

"My experience joining the Jedi was similar," Valery began while she patiently waited at the top of the stairs. Out here, the busy traffic of Coruscant couldn't bother the Jedi Master, who had grown up far from civilization on a jungle world. She enjoyed the breeze flowing through her long hair and smiled at the thought of welcoming another new Jedi into the order. These were some of her favorite meetings and a welcomed break from all war councils related to the Mandalorians.

"My parents contacted the Jedi not too long after I started showing my sensitivity as a child. They gave me up to protect me because I was very emotional, and the outbursts were dangerous to myself and my family, especially my twin sister." She frowned a little as she remembered the vision she had seen together with Kahlil about her family's past. How hard it had been to give up a young daughter, not because her parents had wanted to, but because they needed to.

A part of Valery was glad things were different now. With children of her own, she truly understood how painful it was to have to say goodbye to them.

"Ah, I think I see her down there," Valery then said with a smile. "I'm curious about what she'll be like."

Climbing the flight of stairs one step at a time, the teenager attempted to count them as she went—anything to distract from her own racing pulse and roiling stomach—but lost count about halfway up, when she dared to raise her gaze. It roamed to four bronzium statues that stood outside the entrance to the temple. Jedi and warriors of days gone by, arresting even in silence, as if daring all those that would walk between them to make their mark on the galaxy as they once had. Novalie didn't know their names, and she didn't recognize their sculpted faces, but their legacy—even nameless—spoke to her.

The Keshiri's gaze fell to a pair of figures that stood below the sculptures of bronzium, these two made of flesh and bone. Very real and very imposing as they waited for her at the top. Those last few steps stretched on for an eternity, the teenager far more aware of her uneven stride and dry throat than she would have liked.

Tucking a brunette strand of hair behind her ear, the Keshiri came to a stop in front of the pair and stood there staring at them, her large, black eyes unblinking. "Hello," she eventually willed herself to say, unsure how she was supposed to address the Jedi. They were the first Jedi she had ever met outside of the lone Jedi that had come to Keshiri to test her connection to the Force. Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el Valery Noble Valery Noble

Coruscant, Jedi Temple
Tags: Valery Noble Valery Noble , Novalie Krii Novalie Krii

shield_core_divider.png

"My parents contacted the Jedi not too long after I started showing my sensitivity as a child. They gave me up to protect me because I was very emotional, and the outbursts were dangerous to myself and my family, especially my twin sister."

"That's... rough," Jasper noted with a frown. "But touching."

It made sense, at least. Sometimes it was for the best that children made their way to the Jedi, at least long enough to gain control of themselves. Of course, that was a long time ago. Contact with family was regularly cut off. Jasper was glad that that wasn't the case any more, even if he didn't have a family of his own to connect with. It was at least another layer of stability for students.

"Ah, I see her now," he finally nodded, lifting his mechanical hand to wave to Novalie as she called out. "Hey! Miss Krii, Correct? Welcome to Coruscant."

He'd give a warm smile, one that he very often used when interacting with the younger members of the Order.

"I'm Jasper Kai'el," the knight greeted. "It's very nice to finally make your acquaintance."

Coruscant Temple
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

While Jasper introduced himself to the girl after she had said hello, Valery watched her quietly. Her fiery gaze met the Keshiri's black eyes, and for just a few moments, it seemed as if Valery was studying the new arrival. Her senses extended to pick up on her connection to the Force, and her gaze took note of her body language. All of it reminded her of other young Jedi who had traveled here — nervous, but perhaps excited too.

"I'm Master Valery Noble, welcome to the Temple," she finally said with a warm smile. Her hand then came up, gesturing for the entrance of the Temple.

"Let's go inside, shall we? We can show you a few things and answer any questions you might have. It'll also be a chance to get to know each other a little better." Valery briefly looked at Jasper to wait for him to join her, then offered the girl a welcoming smile. It was exciting to have new Padawans join the Order.

This was going to be a good day.

Lingering at the top of the temple steps, all of the confidence her parents had worked tirelessly to instill in her from a young age on Kesh disappeared. In stark contrast, the two adults opposite her were brimming with confidence, shoulders straight and heads held high, in full command of their emotions and body language.

For a moment the Keshiri wondered if this was the good cop, bad cop routine she had seen portrayed in a few holomovies she had watched with some of her friends as a child. Good cop—Jasper Kai'el as he introduced himself—was all smiles from the beginning, waving a mechanical hand in greeting before she had even reached the top step.

Bad cop—a tall woman with unforgettable, blazing orange eyes—simply stared at Novalie, boring a hole through the Keshiri. Summing her up without ever saying a word. The teenager felt as if the older woman could see straight into her soul and wondered if it was true what she had heard, that Jedi could read your thoughts. Could know your mind before you spoke it. Novalie brushed a hand over her clothes, smoothing out the fabric as if that would help her make a better first impression.

But then the woman's face broke into a warm smile, and she introduced herself as Master Valery Noble. No good cop, bad cop routine after all. Just one teenager's overactive imagination at play. Novalie breathed a sigh of relief—one she hoped neither of the Jedi would notice—and then drew upon her mother's etiquette. "Novalie Krii," she introduced herself, although it was more of a formality than anything else. They already knew her name. It's a pleasure to meet you both." Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el Valery Noble Valery Noble

Coruscant, Jedi Temple
Tags: Novalie Krii Novalie Krii , Valery Noble Valery Noble

shield_core_divider.png

"Novalie Krii," she introduced herself, although it was more of a formality than anything else. They already knew her name. It's a pleasure to meet you both."

Polite. That was easy to work with at the very least. Jasper had run into his fare share of far more chaotic students, so this was a nice change of pace. He maintained his smile at the very least.

"I believe we shall head in," Jasper nodded in response to the words of Valery. "There's much for you to see, and I don't think we'll be able to get to it all on a first time through, but we'll at least try to hit the most important locations for your training."

Jasper tucked his hands in his pockets and turned to lead the party into the Temple, his posture becoming far more casual. A member of the council, yes, but ultimately Jasper was a young man with a gentle nature, and very much an individual who cared little for theatrics. Straight, polite, and to the point. To that end he certainly came off as far less composed and professional than his peers, at least when addressing the younger members of the order. He'd be serious when he needed to be, of course, but now was not that time.

"Why don't you share a bit about yourself?" He decided. "A bit of introduction will give a better idea of where your interests may lie in training. We can share a little bit about ourselves as well, just to be fair."

He wanted to know where they could get her started, and how much Novalie really knew about what it was Jedi did. This would be a good place to start.

Coruscant Temple
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

Valery kept her smile when the girl introduced herself, and only turned to look at Jasper after that. She nodded in agreement and already turned around to lead the way, "Agreed, the Temple is a very big place that you can easily get lost in. But if that happens, everybody is more than willing to help you out." She chuckled and started walking her down the grand halls of the Temple. They were decorated with small and larger statues, and other older decorations that had been restored, and there were some other Jedi walking around to make it feel more alive as well.

"Let's head towards the training rooms and mess hall first, and from there we can show you where you'll be sleeping." Valery glanced at Jasper for confirmation, and once she had it, started heading that way.

Much like Jasper, she was also interested in hearing more about the girl, so when the question was asked, she'd listen intently to the answer.

"Mhmm, if there's anything you'd like to know about us, the Temple or the Jedi as a whole, we'd be more than happy to help."

Novalie had been afraid they would reach that little snag, and it had been sooner rather than later. She supposed it was to be expected, nor did she suppose it was truly what you could call a snag. It was just... thoroughly embarrassing? Perhaps that was the right word.

The pair of Masters led her inside the temple, and the teenager couldn't have hidden the fact that she was goggling even if she had tried. Large, black eyes scanned her environment, taking it all in. Every inch of it she could as they walked at a casual pace. Elaborate was probably an understatement. There was nothing like this on her homeworld, and she understood now as they roamed just one of its many hallways that branched off one after another why they wanted to go ahead and start showing her around. It wasn't hard to imagine herself getting lost.

Realizing that both of the Jedi expected an answer from her and wouldn't wait forever before prompting her again, the teenager cleared her throat. Might as well be honest and get it over with.
"To be perfectly honest," she began, focus bouncing between the two of them, "I don't know a whole lot. About the Jedi, I mean," she elaborated. No need to give them the impression that she was unintelligent to boot.

She wondered if that would be a foreign concept to them or if perhaps one of them had come from a similar background as her. Either way, she pressed forward.
"We don't get a lot of news where I'm from." Not strictly true. Kesh was on the fringes of the Outer Rim, true, but her father managed to stay apprised of most of the galaxy's most breaking headlines. Novalie, on the other hand, a sixteen year old teenager? Not so much.

"Of course I know Jedi are the protectors of the galaxy and what not." Probably a gross simplification. "That you're in the midst of a war with the Mandalorians, but... I'm not really sure why." Or who was winning, for that matter. Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el Valery Noble Valery Noble

Coruscant, Jedi Temple
Tags: Novalie Krii Novalie Krii , Valery Noble Valery Noble

shield_core_divider.png

"Of course I know Jedi are the protectors of the galaxy and what not." Probably a gross simplification. "That you're in the midst of a war with the Mandalorians, but... I'm not really sure why."

"Well, I'd say you're at least moderately informed then," Jasper noted, rubbing at his chin. "Protectors is true, sure, and conflict with the Mandalorian's is certainly a hot topic at the moment. The why boils down to a chain of aggression, new violent crusades blazing through their lost territory on their way to the space of larger powers to fight... but I believe the war should remain a focus of those who are prepared to face it. While it's important to learn about, I'd like to make it clear you are not obligated to fight, especially considering your very recent arrival."

This was a war that should be fought by his generation, not hers. The students of the new wave were suddenly being shown the true face of war after a long period of peace, and that filled him with concern about their eagerness to run off and fight. Jasper didn't want to send the youth do their death, not when they had only just started their journey. For Novalie, the war could wait, at least until she was ready.

"But we can start with protecting," he decided. "That's a good foundation for your path moving forward, but I'd like to challenge that idea a little bit, or at least the conventional concept. Protection can take many forms, more than just taking up a blade. I hope that amidst your training you can come to your own conclusions on what that looks like for you."

Jasper turned to Valery, the smile returning to his face.

"Any suggestions for a good starting location?" the knight asked the Sword. "My thought was the cantina, but I believe that's just my stomach getting to my head."

He couldn't help but let out a faint exhale, he illusions of a snicker. Jasper wasn't just going to spout vague wisdom the entire time. That was no fun.

Coruscant Temple
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

Valery allowed Jasper the chance to explain a few things to the younger Padawan, and offered a smile to confirm that she agreed with what he said. "In addition, you'll also have plenty of time to learn and develop yourself in general. Not just in preparation for war, but also to become the Jedi you want to be," Valery explained as they entered the Temple and started heading towards the Cantina.

She agreed, it was a good place to start.

"There are a lot of different ways to serve our cause. From the Jedi who fight at the frontlines to protect others, to the healers, Lorekeepers and so much more. No matter what your interests are, there will be something that feels just right." With that said, Valery guided them into the large mess hall, designed to provide for an incredible amount of Jedi if necessary. Right now, though, there was barely anybody here.

"Do you want anything to drink or eat before we continue?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom