Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory Rule discussion

Qae Shena said:
Everyone would need to re-stat existing ships, for the implementation, but it wouldn't be that big a jump.
We're not re-statting anything previously submitted. I know why some people want to do it, but the reason why we're not is because I want to take steps forward, not backwards.

If the number of guns a ship has in a role-play truly becomes a problem, we'll listen to your argument as to why when you report it. But not before.

Edit: To clarify, if people WISH to change their submissions to match new rules, if they come, they may contact an RPJ and request this. The submission will be pulled, allowed to edit, and then resubmitted for RPJ approval.

For now, everything prior will be grandfathered in to whatever new rules we devise that may affect the Factory. However, we will discuss your idea, as we will many others'.

Tefka said:
Mass production is what we're preventing.

I will tell you though, each "rare" item will likely have it's own set of restrictions on a case by case basis. My current idea for it, based off notes from the current Staff team, is "Drop in the list, bro. See what you wanna earn that's rare. Perform the objectives required to achieve this rare item. Go perform them. Come back, and make your submission with that rare item, and link all your completed objectives.

Then, we approve it."
If someone came to me with a lightsabre-proof tech sub, I know what objective I'd respect most for something like that.

"Lose a fight against a Force-user. Get hurt in the process."

Kills about three birds with one stone.

While I see the logic in simply standardizing faction tech the way Qae suggested it, I don't like it. This is because it would pretty much slay the originality in sitting together with your Faction mates and devising a ship all on your own. Sure, the ships all have the basic functions and the fleeting isn't going to come down to a numbers game (I hope to God it never does), but there's a sense of accomplishment and pride that comes from having made something that's your own. There's that feeling that, if you're a member of a Faction putting in your two cents, you've done something tangible and that your opinion truly does matter.

For what you just suggested is right there, immortalized on a submission in your manifest. So yeah, standardizing the faction tech would work, no doubts about it, but it'd take the fun part out of building faction tech. If there wasn't some degree of fun in putting together your faction's fleet, then I'm of the opinion that everyone would have just thrown their hands up by now and gone canon shopping for all their fleet needs.

(And personally, I'm more of a mind with Akio on this one. I've felt that the Factory has been operating fine in its current incarnation, and that the only issue lies in not having enough individuals who enjoy going through submissions and making judgments. The end result was Jacen and Asher zerg rushing the factory on a regular basis with a handful of reviews done by our other staffers. Since policing and judging the optional factory doesn't come in the work expectations of a staffer, to my knowledge, then it would seem that the simplest fix would be picking up a handful of people who do want to review tech in the Factory.)

So, two cents thrown in. Yeah...back to nap!

Jorus Merrill said:
If someone came to me with a lightsabre-proof tech sub, I know what objective I'd respect most for something like that.

"Lose a fight against a Force-user. Get hurt in the process."

Kills about three birds with one stone.
The great irony of this, is that Jorus not only gave me the raw materials, but the plot qualifiers, to make my gauntlets, by shooting me full of cortosis.

Sorry, had to smile about that.

Also, after re submitting the Huute Haamu in the new format mostly to test it out, I can hoenstly say that ship creation is pretty intuitive for people who aren't as familiar with starship design, like myself. I just said "eh, this weapons system feels like it's closest to a bomber compliment, I'll do that," and it worked.

Perhaps more of a suggestion than a question:

But pertaining to "Intent" shouldn't that have a pretty good section filled out? I mean, saying "Created X for Faction X" really isn't intent. It's saying what you're making. Shouldn't the intent fulfill how this will be used, what purpose you're making it for, what you hope to see out of it, etc?

As a new player of many, many years roleplaying.

I think the factory is one of the strongest features you've got here, and should work through the hard parts in sorting it out, never abandon it to standardisation. Why? Play investment. People get invested in their designs and time here, you develop more and more uniqueness the longer you go. It gives people a place to invest their imaginations and play :D

That's my 2 cents.

I had a big post about why all AI's are droids anyway, (as real 'sentient' AI is actually impossible) but that was more important.

Oh and if down the line you ever wanted help in judging factory tech, and I was here long enough for you to trust my judgement, always here to help.

@[member="Kei Amadis"]
I'm quite sure there'll be some openings in the future. Keep up the fine work you've been doing and apply!

@[member="Torjesgo"]
I completely agree. Actually, weren't we talking about this the other night? xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom